PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Macrovision on GeForce 7 series

Blue_MiSfit
21st January 2007, 04:04
Hey everyone,

So I got a nice THX edition of the Star Wars trilogies (no new material thank god), and want to digitize it. What else is new, right? :)

So, unfortunately my GeForce 7800gt vivo is a slave to macrovision. The older macrovision free drivers don't work for the 7 series cards, and tvtool also doesn't work with it. Does anyone know how to disable macrovision? The white block is a real bastard.

I am considering buying a decent S-VHS VCR, as I would like to get good quality out of this project... Can some of those strip out Macrovision?

Thanks all

~MiSfit

chipzoller
21st January 2007, 04:13
Usually it is only the low-quality VHS players that disregard macrovision, the S-VHS players usually honor it. What you may need to do is (if capturing tapes with macrovision) get an external device sometimes called a video stabilizer. It should strip the macrovision frequencies and produce "clean" video.

Blue_MiSfit
21st January 2007, 04:18
Hmm interesting. I do have standard home unit - a Sony SLV-N86.

I also could get a cheap bt8x8 based capture card like a WinTV PVR-150 - I have heard that they will disable Macrovision? I used to have one but sold it - I wish I had held on to it! :)

~MiSfit

FlimsyFeet
22nd January 2007, 13:53
Slightly off topic, but are you aware that the lastest DVD releases of the Star Wars trilogy has the orignal theatrical versions (no new material) included as bonus discs? And in much better quality than VHS, although not up to modern DVD quality, but that's a topic for another thread.

DrP
22nd January 2007, 20:48
I also could get a cheap bt8x8 based capture card like a WinTV PVR-150

The PVR150 is not a bt8x8 type card. It does seem to ignore macrovision with the current drivers.

chipzoller
22nd January 2007, 20:52
Personally, I wouldn't get a bt8x8 card even if it does ignore macrovision as it still can't come close to modern capture cards like some by ATI or Haupage. Either use a lower-end model VHS or a macrovision remover.

FlimsyFeet
23rd January 2007, 00:21
I don't think a lower-end model VHS will make any difference to macrovision. If I understand it correctly, the signal is prsent on the tape itself, not added by the VCR, it's the capturing device that decides whether to ignore it or not.

chipzoller
23rd January 2007, 00:42
Actually some cheaper (read: POS) VHS decks will ignore the macrovision apparently as I had 2 crap decks (a Magnavox and some other no-name-brand) that didn't output a macrovision signal. When using my same tapes on my high-end Panasonic AG-1980 the macrovision is present. But also some capture cards also ignore the macrovision like the older ATI TV Wonders (bt8x8 chipsets).

Blue_MiSfit
23rd January 2007, 05:08
Interesting. I thought that the PVR-150 was an 8x8 card... I used to have a cheap Hauppage card that had an 8x8 (btwincap drivers), and assumed it was a 150. Oh well...

I didn't realize that the latest DVD ste had the theatrical releases as well as the special editions... But this is what I have, and it would be fun to try some of the newer filters on it, and see what I can come up with :)

So I definitely want to get a good capture card - what would you recommend? Obviously I need one that disregards Macrovision. Cheap is the operative word - something used would be just fine with me ;) I can get an older hauppage 8x8 card for about $25, and I don't want to spend any more than $40 or so.

~MiSfit

setarip_old
23rd January 2007, 23:38
For little more than you're willing to spend, you can purchase an LG or other tabletop DVD recorder (It can be firmware "adjusted" to ignore Macrovision)...

chipzoller
24th January 2007, 02:33
So I definitely want to get a good capture card - what would you recommend? Obviously I need one that disregards Macrovision. Cheap is the operative word - something used would be just fine with me I can get an older hauppage 8x8 card for about $25, and I don't want to spend any more than $40 or so.

Well, these criteria really aren't compatible. You can't get a good capture card for ~$40. And most newer cards uphold macrovision, so again I say you need to balance your interests.

Are you just interested in playing around with capturing and filtering or are you serious about high-quality capturing? If you just want to mess around then go for a cheap BT8x8 card from Hauppage or other manufacturer.

Blue_MiSfit
24th January 2007, 08:54
@ Setarip_old:

But I want Avisynth :D

@chipzoller:
Yeah, I pretty much figured. I think I will get an bt8x8, I don't need incredible quality at all, I just want to digitize VHS sources and see what happens :) If I really wanted to do it right, I could go use the Blackmagic Design Multibridge Pro and SVHS pro deck at work :D

Thanks both of you though!

~MiSfit

setarip_old
24th January 2007, 09:42
@ Setarip_old:
But I want AvisynthWhatever floats your boat ;>}

nikolai
11th May 2007, 22:18
I've got a patch for the 4.13-VIVO driver that completely turns off Macrovision detection (on WinXP). It's a quick 3 byte patch. Anybody still interested? I see this thread is 5 months old.

Blue_MiSfit
12th May 2007, 05:39
DUDE totally!!!

How/where?