PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 480p capture card*

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Gabe Logan
5th June 2008, 11:47
Nope it did not help. But I installed the updated drivers and it went down to 75 percent. And I have spoken to someone about the cpu usage being so high, and they say its normal. It's a problem if its always 90 percent and up if you aren't doing anything.

On mine, it lags and and all during preview but I haven't had a dropped frame.

I ended up uninstalling Norton and installed Nod32. Things have been better since as well.

And I had my pc repaired today, it appears the power supply was fried. Everything else is fine.

I also use Graphedit with the Cineform codec and smart tee preview(from IUVCR). Doing that, it got my cpu down to 48-60 percent.

My graph: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MaggIvy/smartcineform.jpg

Well before during capture i would only get up to the 30's and now i am in the 70's just when opening the program so i have scanned for viruses and spyware and i'm clean so i am thinking a windows reinstall if i can't get the CPU load down.

MaggIvy
5th June 2008, 23:22
Tell me if that works, I'm thinking about starting fresh soon again as well...just gotta finish my projects...

miraged
6th June 2008, 00:04
I was wondering what kind of codecs/compressions you guys and girls use for your final videos? I tried uploading stuff to vimeo but I am totally not happy with the quailty. At the moment I havent bothered too much with codecs so I am still using xvid. But what would be the best compromise between quality and size (and maybe lead to even better vimeo quality). I already googeled and stuff but I wondered what you guys were using.

mistical
6th June 2008, 00:09
I was wondering what kind of codecs/compressions you guys and girls use for your final videos? I tried uploading stuff to vimeo but I am totally not happy with the quailty. At the moment I havent bothered too much with codecs so I am still using xvid. But what would be the best compromise between quality and size (and maybe lead to even better vimeo quality). I already googeled and stuff but I wondered what you guys were using.
Most people at Vimeo use the H.264 codec. It's what they recommend and what many of their users use. Once I work out my problems. I had tended to use the same at Vimeo most likely as well and probably elsewhere.

MaggIvy
6th June 2008, 01:06
I use Xvid and Lame mp3...I haven't tried uploading anything to streaming sites yet. It takes forever though.

Seraphic-
6th June 2008, 08:15
For those of us with a PV3/PV4. Here is some information on just how "lossy" the PV4 video capture codec versus a lossless codec from a reply I received from Earthsoft.

[Bitrate]
PV4 codec : general lossless code = 1 : 2 to 4

[Quality of image]
Because it is the subjective one, it is not possible to express it
numerically.

miraged
6th June 2008, 13:21
I still barely see any difference ^^

Blimblim
7th June 2008, 10:52
Do you mean copy "ff_liba52.dll" and "winmm.dll" to "Program Files\EARTH SOFT\PV"? If so, what folder in "\PV\" or just the root?

Also, when you said "You'll have to use dvtool to extract the ac3 stream from the .dv file", were you talking about the AVI Utility use to convert DV to AVI/Audio? If not, have link?

Edit: Think I've got it working, the program anyway. When set to AC3/AAC, I get no audio input at all. Is below what is need to enable ac3 5.1?
I tried the Record and then Stop feature in the same menu, but the file size was 0. (only wav works, AAC and AC3 return a file size of 0)
Or do you still use the record feature from the main menu in the top left? (tried that as well, but when set to AC3, there is no audio)

http://www.temp.seraphicgate.com/ac3.jpg
That menu is only for the realtime decoding part of pv3tool. Leave it at the A option and it will automatically detect what type of audio stream there is. It will show PCM if it's a real PCM stream, or something it doesn't understand, so if you see it switch to AC3 you are good to go.
Recording is still the same as usual, only more convenient.
If you get no sound, then your source may not output AC3 5.1.

miraged
7th June 2008, 14:35
I just tried using 5.1 but it completely messed up the software. After some time I even had to restart because I couldnt even get the original software to run properly again.

At least one advantage of the PV3tool is that you can capture screens shots on the fly. No more enter ->crtlb->crtlw ... which makes it a lot easier.

Seraphic-
7th June 2008, 20:16
That menu is only for the realtime decoding part of pv3tool. Leave it at the A option and it will automatically detect what type of audio stream there is. It will show PCM if it's a real PCM stream, or something it doesn't understand, so if you see it switch to AC3 you are good to go.
Recording is still the same as usual, only more convenient.
If you get no sound, then your source may not output AC3 5.1.

After setting the second menu to A option, should the AAC/AC3 box above it be checked or not?

Mysteriouskk
9th June 2008, 05:53
The Earthsoft guys are pretty good and fast. They are sending me a brand new one with the new blue sticker. Hopefully it should be here within the end of the week.

Mysteriouskk
14th June 2008, 21:31
I just got my brand new PV4, and my computer definitely recognizes the card, but I'm not sure how to get it to capture video or display the input video.

Is the PV.exe program suppose to show video when there is video connected to the card? Did I install it wrong?

Mysteriouskk
14th June 2008, 21:44
I just got my brand new PV4, and my computer definitely recognizes the card, but I'm not sure how to get it to capture video or display the input video.

Is the PV.exe program suppose to show video when there is video connected to the card? Did I install it wrong?

Nvm, got it working. Now I just got to figure out what options to change. Anyone have a good translation of this toolbar? And how do I play back DV files in other programs besides PV.exe?

http://cgaming.com/images/Untitled.jpg

miraged
15th June 2008, 00:02
Afaik that toolbar enables you to display different information in the bottom bar of the program (like resolution soundstuff and more).

Also there is only one more prog for .DV files, its aviutl http://spring-fragrance.mints.ne.jp/aviutl/

http://earthsoft.jp/PV/AviUtl.html this tutorial explains how to convert dv files to any format you want to (eg. encoding it lossless with cineform so that you can use it with editing tools).

thedark20
16th June 2008, 10:24
hi,

i post here my question about PV3/4 capture card:

i would like capture from a ps3, but i am french and use the pal system, i can record from this card in pal ? using a terminal D cable off course.

and I need another cable ?

The software is in japan, but il 's easy ? i can use this card with a another software ?

thx

miraged
16th June 2008, 12:47
You can capture from PAL/NTSC ( I am capturing from NTSC-J Wii/PSP and PAL Xbox360).

You either need a D-Terminal cable for you console or you get just get a cheap component switch and connect all your consoles to it and then buy a component->D-Terminal cable for the output to the PV3/4. You may need a sound converter if you want to capture from consoles without optical audio ouput (toslink).

The software is very easy to use. The website has some instructions on how to use the card (http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fearthsoft.jp%2F&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=%C3%9Cbersetzen), with babelfish and the corresponding pics its really easy to use the software (you will only need it for the capture anyway, post processing is done in other programms).

thedark20
16th June 2008, 13:31
Thx for your reply.

For a ps3, i don't need soud converter ? i can connect with optical output.
thanks very much.

miraged
18th June 2008, 00:52
Okay something is wrong with my PV4 now. I set up Xp x64 and now I wanted to capture again but the most I get is that the software recognizes 720p but the screen stays black und then the software crashes. It happens on x86 and x64 and I shouldnt have done anything to the PV4 itself. Anyone ever had something similiar.

Seraphic-
18th June 2008, 04:39
Anyone know how to get the Intensity Pro to output SPDIF audio using the breakout cable when the audio source is over HDMI? I can't seem to get any audio output.

Thanks

Jaxel
18th June 2008, 20:42
These are my workflows....

http://www.crookedjester.com/_misc/workflow.gif

My HD compression settings...

VirtualDub.video.SetDepth(24,24);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(3);
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate(0,1);
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0,0,-1,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetRange(0,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x34363278,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompData(8664,"AAAAAAMAAAAUAAAABAEAAAAMAAABAAAAAAAAAAEAAAAuXHgyNjQuc3RhdHMAAHMAdABhAHQAcwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMgAAAGQAAAAKAAAAMwAAAAQAAAAoAAAAGQAAAPoAAAABAAAAAQAAAAEAAAABAAAAAQAAAAEAAAAEAAAAAQAAAAAAAAABAAAAAQAAAAEAAAABAAAAAwAAAAYAAAABAAAAAwAAABAAAAABAAAACgAAAAEAAAABAAAAAAAAAEgyNjQAAAAAAQAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAQAAAP7////+////AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA");

I would actually love some critiques so that I could possibly get higher quality, at a lower file size...

Here is my output: http://www.crookedjester.com/_matchvids/vf5.080413/vf5.080413.L7.Shagnificent.vs.Denkai.mkv

Revgen
19th June 2008, 06:38
^Well, X264 VFW isn't exactly the most efficient way to use X264. I won't get into details of it for political reasons. You can use search to find out why. However non-VFW x264 is usually harder to edit and not many editing solutions are available. The one I like to use for these is the latest versions of AVIDemux which specialize in H264.

Also, is Neo a lossless intermediate codec? If it's lossy, I'd try using graphedit or graphstudio and capture with Huffyuv instead. It's a true lossless codec and should capture fine on newer SATAII HDD's. Read my previous posts on capping with Huffyuv using graphedit and the Intensity Pro. You can also us IUVCR to cap with Huffyuv but you have to pay for it.

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 03:05
Okay... I think I'm starting to figure out how this thing works... I've been following MaggyIvy's workflow... but I have a couple of questions about it...

First... which one of these would be better?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MaggIvy/smartcineform.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MaggIvy/grapch.jpg

Second... What is Smart Tee?

And Finally... is there a way to enumerate file names? For isntance, with CineForm Neo HDV, the first time I push record, it saves to "Component.0.avi", the second time ""Component.1.avi" and the third "Component.2.avi" etc... anyway to do this?

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 03:31
I've already noticed two problems that I cant figure out...

1... IJust switched to HD 720p and the audio and video are completely out of sync using HuffyYuv... if I go back to the Cineform, it syncs fine... I get this "Crackling" noise in the preview, but not on the actual video.

2... Occasionaly, sometimes after changing the modes of my capture card from NTSC to HD, the sound wonks out... Instead of getting the sound, I get a loud buzzing noise. I've had this problem from before I started using GraphStudio and the only way to fix it has been to restart my computer.

Other questions...

Is there a way so that I can shrink the preview video render so that it runs on my PC without lag?

Also, if I maximize the Active Movie Window, the video doesnt retain aspect ratio... how do I do this?

squid_80
20th June 2008, 03:48
An answer to 2: That happens a lot with the intensity. Bitch and complain at blackmagic so they'll fix it. I've had my intensity pro since they first came out in may last year and it's always done it (along with the blue screen lockups and no video signal issues).

MaggIvy
20th June 2008, 03:57
First... which one of these would be better?

Second... What is Smart Tee?

And Finally... is there a way to enumerate file names? For isntance, with CineForm Neo HDV, the first time I push record, it saves to "Component.0.avi", the second time ""Component.1.avi" and the third "Component.2.avi" etc... anyway to do this?

It's a tough call, Huffyuv is more compatible right now, so if you are going to compress it, I guess it depends what program you will be compressing it with. The only downfall is that Cineform is Lossy *I think, not sure* but it gives you smaller files, huffyuv is lossless and can give you way larger files. For example, using Cineform recording a 21 minute video in 720p resulted in 18 gigs. Using Huffuv resulted in 44 gig file size.

I think Smart Tee is a direct show filter. Could be wrong.

And to name files, you have to do it as you go along, I always have the save location open and minimized on my desktop so when the recording stops, you go there and re name it.

1. I don't know, try a different program or record/preview with no audio at all. Is the final cap in sync to or off sync?

2. As for the audio problem, it doesn't matter what program I use, it ALWAYS happens to me. I ALWAYS have to restart before I'm ready to capture fully. Right now I don't know of any other way around it.

3. Yep, you can make the preview smaller, just like you can make almost any window smaller. Go to the corner of the preview and you'll see the arrows, then drag it smaller or bigger...not sure if it will make preview faster or anything.

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 04:03
I also noticed that this program lets me capture using the Cineform Neo HDV compression without having to pay the $250 fee (to which I've been contemplating buying for a while now, I've been burning through all the trials on each type of software they offer for now)... Wouldnt Cineform have a problem with this?

MaggIvy
20th June 2008, 04:19
Not sure if I should answer that one...but uh...last time I tried using a codec with an expired trial graph edit wouldn't let me use it. I think.

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 04:39
Ah... it'll probably give me a message when my trial expires...

Anyway... I really like this program... it let me add a second sound source with a boom mic I had lying around. I use these videos to capture video game tournaments, and I've always wanted to put a boom mic in with a secondary audio track so that I could have table talk and commentary. However, I'm having trouble setting up this Microphone, no matter what, it always sets itself to 49% volume; even after I adjust it, when I click the record button it goes back to 49%. I noticed that the Microphone filter has an intake with "Master Volume"... I assume using this, I could set the volume to 100% or 10% as I needed. How do I use this?

Also, I noticed this program does an extremely poor job of mapping the boxes... I have lots of overlapping boxes.

MaggIvy
20th June 2008, 08:14
Not sure what you mean by boxes? Pixellation? Interlacing?

Revgen
20th June 2008, 08:41
@Jaxel

Try my huffyuv workflow from earlier in the thread on page 18 and see if you still have sound sync issues. You can't preview what you're capturing using that one, but it's way simpler and therefore may eliminate some possible lag.

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 14:07
Naw... Revgen, its the HufflyLuv that has the lag... The Cineform doesnt have any lag, and it lets me preview...

I have two Western Digital WDS6400AAKS SATAII drives in RAID-0, so I dont see why HuffyLuv would be causing the lag though... These are the new double platter WD drives, and they are said to be the fastest of all the SATAIIs... to the point where I can burst record uncompressed 720p video with BlackMagic Express for a good 45 seconds before it stops using only these two drives. (BlackMagic Express stops the moment it drops a single frame, and most people say you need a minimum of four drives)

easy2Bcheesy
20th June 2008, 14:12
Assuming you are using a multicore CPU, it's safe to assume that its Huffyuv's use of only one core that is the issue.

CineForm spreads its load over up to eight cores leaving plenty of CPU time for other stuff to run. CineForm is going to be absolutely monstrous on Intel's new Nehalem CPUs which are quad cores with hyperthreading. Hyperthreading made a good 15% performance difference with CineForm on the old Netburst Pentium IV CPUs and I'd expect another huge boost in the Core 2 architecture.

miraged
20th June 2008, 14:21
Yes I think jaxel is using a Quad (btw des here Jaxel :p)

And the Nehalem will be total beasts...

Revgen
20th June 2008, 20:00
Naw... Revgen, its the HufflyLuv that has the lag... The Cineform doesnt have any lag, and it lets me preview...

I have two Western Digital WDS6400AAKS SATAII drives in RAID-0, so I dont see why HuffyLuv would be causing the lag though... These are the new double platter WD drives, and they are said to be the fastest of all the SATAIIs... to the point where I can burst record uncompressed 720p video with BlackMagic Express for a good 45 seconds before it stops using only these two drives. (BlackMagic Express stops the moment it drops a single frame, and most people say you need a minimum of four drives)

What CPU do you have? I have a Quad-core QX6850 and have no problems. I guess your individual cores aren't as quick.

Jaxel
20th June 2008, 21:22
This is what I got...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115027

Revgen
21st June 2008, 03:24
This is what I got...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115027

It's practically the same as mine except my cores are 3ghz each while yours are 2.66 each and mine has a 1333mhz bus instead of the 1066mhz bus on yours. Otherwise the cache is the same and the architecture is the same. 3ghz is only theoretically 12% faster, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, especially if your saying that your experiencing too many frame drops. The bus however is roughly 33% faster, but I'm not sure what affect, if any this has on encoding to Huffyuv.

Are there any hardware engineers who may have a idea?

easy2Bcheesy
21st June 2008, 10:13
When it comes to HD encoding, bus speed definitely helps. Think about it, an uncompressed HD signal is being input into the CPU and you're asking it to encode that signal and output it, and output it again - uncompressed - to the GPU. That's a hell of a lot of traffic.

MaggIvy
22nd June 2008, 08:40
I've already noticed two problems that I cant figure out...

1... IJust switched to HD 720p and the audio and video are completely out of sync using HuffyYuv... if I go back to the Cineform, it syncs fine... I get this "Crackling" noise in the preview, but not on the actual video.

Out of curiosity what are you trying to capture from?

I'm having the same problem using my 40 gig PS3, but on the 60 gb ps3 there are no problems.

None to be had either when using IuVCR.

Also, is it possible to record progressively with 1080i?

Revgen
22nd June 2008, 09:25
When it comes to HD encoding, bus speed definitely helps. Think about it, an uncompressed HD signal is being input into the CPU and you're asking it to encode that signal and output it, and output it again - uncompressed - to the GPU. That's a hell of a lot of traffic.

Okay, so it looks like the 33% improvement in bus speed helps with encoding to Huffyuv with the CPU. In that case, than it isn't something to do with HDD's ablity to handle the Huffyuv encoded video. Thanks. I'm glad I got it when I did. It was the first 1333mhz CPU on the market so I went for it.

Jaxel
22nd June 2008, 12:47
Out of curiosity what are you trying to capture from?

I'm having the same problem using my 40 gig PS3, but on the 60 gb ps3 there are no problems.

None to be had either when using IuVCR.

Also, is it possible to record progressively with 1080i?

I'm using a 60gb PS3... what is IuVCR exactly? When I was looking at it, I thought it could only do standard definition...

You can record 1080i as interlaced, and de-interlace it with AVISynth or DG.

MaggIvy
22nd June 2008, 22:45
Strange...hrm...I tried switching what was rendering the audio last to my sound card, so far it syncs fine. Don't know for sure though.

And nope, IUVCR can do HD, I can even go into full screen and not lose the aspect ratio. It depends on what capture card its using.

miraged
23rd June 2008, 00:49
Uhm did anyone have problems with the PV3/4 under vista (x64)? Since XP x64 was well ... I didnt like it but I tried to install the driver (at least from what I got the driver is installed but there is still a error sign near the driver in the control panel) and if I want to run I get error that there is a problem with the driver. Anyone had similiar issues?

Ahhh fixed, it had to boot without the forced driver thing.

Jaxel
23rd June 2008, 22:18
According to the IULabs website, IUVCR can only do standard definition.

Revgen
23rd June 2008, 22:28
Both MaggIvy and myself have used it for HDTV. My guess is that the author doesn't want to offer support for HDTV capturing so he says it doesn't support it, so they won't have to help you in case it doesn't work.

Jaxel
24th June 2008, 18:22
Both MaggIvy and myself have used it for HDTV. My guess is that the author doesn't want to offer support for HDTV capturing so he says it doesn't support it, so they won't have to help you in case it doesn't work.

Ok... is there a reason why you guys use IUVCR and not IUVCS?

Revgen
24th June 2008, 21:56
Ok... is there a reason why you guys use IUVCR and not IUVCS?

I've never tried IUVCS so I'm not sure. I just tried IUVCR one time to see if it worked.

MaggIvy
24th June 2008, 22:05
Well I never tried IUVCS either, but aside from graph edit and all that, I've used IUVCR since my very first capture card. So I thought I could try it with my IP one day, and it worked.

Edit: Oh wait, I have tried it. I didn't like it, the layout was just too messy....

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/iuVCS-Screenshot-87984.html

IUVCR is just two screens pretty much, one for capping/watching and one for everything else.

So IMO, it's because I like IUVCR better.

Gabe Logan
29th June 2008, 08:52
Has anyone with the Intensity Pro using component and using Cineform Neo HD been able to capture to 30fps because all i can get is 60.59.9 but no 30 or 29.97.

EDIT: Finally got it to show after some reinstall of the drivers but now i got the problem again of too much cpu usage when in use let alone during capture.

MaggIvy
30th June 2008, 04:20
Just thought I'd update on the IUVCR and cineform codec together thing...there are times where the usage will still jump causing me to drop 150 frames every so often...every 4 hours. And the codec sometimes even freezes the program. You are better off with huffyuv. OR use graph edit with the codec.

Seraphic-
1st July 2008, 15:10
Anyone else with a MonsterX?

Found this page that gives some help on color configuration. My Japanese is limited, but he seems to suggest disabling the auto-gain and auto offset?

http://karinto2.mine.nu/?MonsterXColor

easy2Bcheesy
4th July 2008, 18:07
Has anyone with the Intensity Pro using component and using Cineform Neo HD been able to capture to 30fps because all i can get is 60.59.9 but no 30 or 29.97.

EDIT: Finally got it to show after some reinstall of the drivers but now i got the problem again of too much cpu usage when in use let alone during capture.

Intensity's 720p/29.97fps mode is designed for slow motion video from cameras (ie acquire at 59.94, playback at 29.97 for slow-mo), so won't work with videogames.

Dot50Cal
23rd July 2008, 21:57
Hi again everyone ;) Glad to see the topic is doing so well. I come to ask a question. I'm looking for an HDMI capture card which supports 480p. Has there been any made since the topic began?

Seraphic-
23rd July 2008, 21:58
Hi again everyone ;) Glad to see the topic is doing so well. I come to ask a question. I'm looking for an HDMI capture card which supports 480p. Has there been any made since the topic began?

Hey Dot50Cal.

There are none.

The only one that might was that one Japanese HDMI card talked about somewhere in this topic.
But I don't think it supports 480p.

Thinking of giving up your PV3?

Dot50Cal
25th July 2008, 05:07
I'd still keep the PV3, but I would like a way to capture from my PS3 test with lossless quality.

Seraphic-
25th July 2008, 15:15
I'd still keep the PV3, but I would like a way to capture from my PS3 test with lossless quality.

But what about HDCP?

Dot50Cal
25th July 2008, 20:23
PS3 Tests allow you to turn off HDCP.

Seraphic-
25th July 2008, 20:38
PS3 Tests allow you to turn off HDCP.

And just where did you find a PS3 Test system? :p

odditory
30th July 2008, 21:07
So what's the verdict on the USB based BlackMagic Video Recorder? My problem is I need 3 - 4 VCR's and capture cards or usb sticks running in parallel to be able to capture the volume I have to do. Not sure what the best workflow would be but for the BlackMagic solution it seemed ideal if it's got the MPEG4 chip in the USB stick rather than relying on CPU on host PC to do the compression with its software.

squid_80
30th July 2008, 21:31
There's no information that says the encoding is done by the device and not the host...

News Bot
11th September 2008, 07:10
Bit of a bump, but I came across a new HD capture card just now:

http://www.planetdv.net/Content/By_Manufacturer/Grass_Valley/Video_Editing_Cards/Grass_Valley_Canopus_Pegasus_HD_Capture_Card.asp

It takes HDMI, DVI and Component on top of standard S-Video and Composite. Very pricey however.

Schrade
11th September 2008, 08:55
Bit of a bump, but I came across a new HD capture card just now:

http://www.planetdv.net/Content/By_Manufacturer/Grass_Valley/Video_Editing_Cards/Grass_Valley_Canopus_Pegasus_HD_Capture_Card.asp

It takes HDMI, DVI and Component on top of standard S-Video and Composite. Very pricey however.

Here's the web page for that product: http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/Pegasus/

Seraphic-
13th September 2008, 08:56
Here's the web page for that product: http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/Pegasus/

Audio Capture
Line In, Monitor Out6

* Stereo at 24bit 48kHz

HDMI Input

* LPCM 2-8ch at 24bit 32/44.1/48kHz

Although multichannel recording is a great feature, it seems to can't capture uncompressed.
Can only capture with what seems to be a proprietary format.

Mysteriouskk
26th September 2008, 19:30
Anybody want my Sknet Monster X card? I'll be putting it on ebay soon since I don't have time to capture video game footage anymore.

News Bot
28th September 2008, 23:36
Anybody want my Sknet Monster X card? I'll be putting it on ebay soon since I don't have time to capture video game footage anymore.

How much?

Got the Leadtek 480p card a few days ago. Can't use it until I get a new motherboard sadly. :mad:

MaggIvy
29th September 2008, 11:02
I'm also looking to sell my Intensity HD, the regular intensity...

miraged
29th September 2008, 19:19
Capture card sellout? Maybe I should drop my PV4 here too xD!?

Anyhow why do you sell your intensity!?

News Bot
29th September 2008, 19:54
Prices people! =p

Mysteriouskk
29th September 2008, 22:09
Check ebay for mine (search Monster X Sknet)

MaggIvy
30th September 2008, 04:23
Anyhow why do you sell your intensity!?

Because I bought the wrong one when I first got my pc, it wasn't the Intensity Pro (which was what I needed), it was the Intensity HD (which is the one I want to sell). So then I went and bought the Pro and now I have no use for the HD one lol.

Good if you want to cap from your xbox and other stuff that doesn't have HDCP.

miraged
30th September 2008, 17:00
Ah okay, just wanted to ask why you dont buy the extension to have a pro^^.

You sure have a lot of money (I + IP) XD.

Well what are you guys currently using for HD online videos? Since vimeo has forbidden game videos its hard to find a place for HD game videos.

So far my favourite: Wipido - http://www.wipido.com/video/oMdntDWp9Fxa Was just a quick 720p capture when I recently got my PS3. But even in fullscreen its still watchable.

Revgen
1st October 2008, 02:03
^The intensity pro has a dongle and a port for the dongle.

The regular intensity does not. Even if she bought the extension, there wouldn't be a port for it.

MaggIvy
1st October 2008, 02:30
You sure have a lot of money (I + IP) XD.

Well what are you guys currently using for HD online videos? Since vimeo has forbidden game videos its hard to find a place for HD game videos.

At the time I did lol, but now I'm broke lol.

At the moment I'm not using anything for my vids, I have them hosted so it's downloadable though.

Someone put one of the vids I uploaded on vimeo...

It happens to be one of my favorite scenes lol.

They finally removed it.

News Bot
1st October 2008, 19:29
Can anyone confirm if the Leadtek works with VirtualDub? I know the Intensity works with it fine and can capture 720p through VirtualDub...

gia257
15th March 2009, 17:26
A bit of necromancy. Could anyone repeat whats the best card available if I want uncompressed 480p (+hopefully widescreen)?

I want to record gamecube so I can get the d terminal, which I hear is a better connector than component anyway.

Intensity, no
PV4, yes but lossy
MonsterX, yes but ?
Leadtek
other?

easy2Bcheesy
15th March 2009, 17:33
My recommendation would be MonsterX + VirtualDub + UT Codec Pack or AMV codec for lossless compression. However, I've never managed to get it working at 720p properly.

Of the other options, PV4 is probably the best as its lossy mode isn't that lossy plus it'll do HD if you want it.

Intensity: No.
Leadtek: Not sure if 480p lossless is possible with it and the 480p is apparently inaccessible with VirtualDub (which means inaccessible with any other capture tool)

squid_80
15th March 2009, 17:59
The leadtek PxDTV2300H (hybrid digital/analog) works with virtualdub and will detect 480p if you run the winfast app beforehand, but in my experience it has more dropping issues than a one armed juggler. Also the x64 drivers are completely non-functional.

edwinbradford
15th March 2009, 18:57
Hi gia,

I think you might be over estimating the degree of loss on the compression of the P4. I've uploaded some sample screen shots for you. The quality is amazing. Its a long time since I read up on all of this but it uses a 4:2:2 YUV colour model, that's the same as the Black Magic intensity but of course it handles progressive 480p.

Mine is running through D terminals, they're just a component connector for the Japanese market. Bear in mind also that if you're converting to MP2 or MP4 which you almost definitely will the compression will be much greater than the source material. I really think you'll be happy with it, I haven't looked back since getting mine.

Your bigger problem is the Japanese language only issue as I can read it to some degree. However I'm sure you'll figure it out. :D

gia257
16th March 2009, 06:23
No, I know PV4 is very good, it's just the greedy me that would prefer perfect lossless than barely lossy. I keep my raw files.

I have past experience with the winfast program and virtualdub (on older hardware though), so I would be able to get around it, problem would be the random drops you claim, maybe it was your hard disk setup?. Card is cheap though so I dont lose by testing, bet it can't do widescreen.

squid_80
16th March 2009, 07:45
I have no problems capturing 1280x720@60 using the Intensity, I don't see why it wouldn't handle 720x480@60. And yes it handles widescreen, because widescreen is just the same signal with more pixels crammed in.

gia257
16th March 2009, 21:53
Intensity can't do 480p. Someone emailed them and they said it shouldn't be able to capture 480p correctly, this is from their site:

PCI-e x1

HD:
1080i 50fps
1080i 59.94
720p 50
720p 59.94

YUV 4:2:2
Audio 48 kHz and 24 bit

SD:
625 25 PAL
525 29.97 NTSC

vvvv Ah ok lol

squid_80
17th March 2009, 01:06
I know that since I own one. I was demonstrating that my hard drive should definitely be able to handle capturing 480p with the Leadtek since it can handle 720p from the Intensity.

YouCantGetME
17th March 2009, 10:19
Maybe it's a little late for this thread , but this thread helps me a lot so let me do some feedback.

I bought Leadtek 2300H , and confirmed this card only support 480p @ PVR2 with LT's video card department on phone.(I am Taiwanese)
I tried many ways , including replace driver. All failed.

Then I discovered Compro has new cards E850F/E900F.

http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/e900f/e900f.html

-Supports Composite, S-Video and Component (480i ~ 576p) input

ps. The only different between E850F and E900F is E900F has dual TV tuners and E850F only has one.

I received card yesterday , using my own software.

And.......... works excellent.

It will detect signal and switch automatically , no need to worry about configuration.

I am sure that E850F/E900F is the most cheap progress scan signal solution.

ajp_anton
17th March 2009, 11:14
- As the E900F has two analog tuners and enough pins in the video-in connector, does it support two sources simultaneously (for example component + s-video)?
- Can you get around the hardware encoder (and record lossless), preferably with VirtualDub?
- Is it available anywhere that ships to Sweden (except Australia, wtf)?

YouCantGetME
18th March 2009, 05:02
- As the E900F has two analog tuners and enough pins in the video-in connector, does it support two sources simultaneously (for example component + s-video)?
- Can you get around the hardware encoder (and record lossless), preferably with VirtualDub?
- Is it available anywhere that ships to Sweden (except Australia, wtf)?

1.no , the other one is TV Tuner not video connector set.

2.I success capture video with VirtualDub , but it crash often while I setting it. Debug window shows "ksproxy.ax".

3.Maybe u should go US net shop , Compro seems has retail sell in US.

Seraphic-
29th March 2009, 21:45
When doing a scaled 1080p capture, for those with a PV4, does it:

A: Capture the full 1920x1080p in a 960x1080p resolution
or
B: Capture half of the 1920 (x1080p) field thus giving a 960 (x1080p) resolution

Gabe Logan
6th April 2009, 09:47
If anyone wants to sell their Monster X or PV4 cards give me a PM or anything that can capture 480P.

Dot50Cal
2nd July 2009, 09:15
Just a little bump here because I just got an Intensity Pro in. I'm loving the capture quality, but I've come into a problem. As suggested by someone on this topic, I've been using Graph Studio to record video off it. This is because Virtualdub won't let me use anything other than MJPEG and Uncompressed codecs (any way around that? I really want to use HuffyUV).

Anyway, I have my chain setup like this:

http://pici.se/pictures/oJJkkQeYp.jpg

At the time of capturing, I had interleaving on AVI Mux set to none. However, upon reviewing my footage (approximately 1 hour of 1280x720 videogame footage), I found that the audio gradually desyncs to about 18 seconds behind the action. Almost right off the bat the audio was off, which is really puzzling to me.

I can fix these files manually, but its a big pain to know that my capturing setup is not reliable. So can anyone suggest any help? I'm capturing to two 300GB Raid0 drives, and I'm using a multi-threaded huffyuv codec so there shouldn't be a problem with writing to the drives. Ideally, I would use Virtualdub since it has some really nice syncing options, but I can't select any other codecs.

Any help is appreciated!

easy2Bcheesy
2nd July 2009, 09:21
Stick with VirtualDub and change codec. Try the UT Codec Suite here (http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1226110&postcount=1) or better yet, spend $10 on an AMV codec shareware license here. (http://amamaman.hp.infoseek.co.jp/english/top_e.html) AMV is the biggest leap in lossless encoding in years and I'm frankly amazed people aren't talking more about it. File sizes are usually half the size of Huffyuv, depending on the content, and it's very light on the CPU.

AMV definitely works with Intensity and I'm fairly sure that UT does too.

Dot50Cal
2nd July 2009, 11:18
Just did a little test run with AMV, even that gradually desyncs. I also noticed that there was a huge amount of input lag as soon as I started recording with Virtualdub. The preview it was showing was nearly a whole second behind my actual actions.

Why is it that AMV will show up fine in the list of codecs, but Huffyuv wont?

EDIT: Ok, I found something odd. I don't think its a gradual loss of sync, but rather tied to a specific time when the stream has issues. I'm assuming this is HDMI related, since it looks like video just drops out entirely for a moment or two. I've made a sample video of the sync going out after the video freezes for several frames. You'll need something to decode x264.

*If you haven't played MGS4 to completion, you probably shouldn't watch this!*
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/test-muxed.mp4 26MB

Any ideas what might have triggered this? I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen before.

easy2Bcheesy
2nd July 2009, 15:10
Intensity has a specific pixel format which is actually supported by lots of codecs, but they renamed it so it would only appear to be supported by their own. Lame! I contacted the developer of AMV, gave him the Blackmagic designation and he had Intensity support working within a day.

I've no idea about your sync issues. It doesn't do that on my Intensity Pro.

You're not using Vista are you? If so, try shifting to accelerated preview rather than overlay.

Revgen
10th July 2009, 01:28
Just a little bump here because I just got an Intensity Pro in. I'm loving the capture quality, but I've come into a problem. As suggested by someone on this topic, I've been using Graph Studio to record video off it. This is because Virtualdub won't let me use anything other than MJPEG and Uncompressed codecs (any way around that? I really want to use HuffyUV).

Anyway, I have my chain setup like this:

http://pici.se/pictures/oJJkkQeYp.jpg

At the time of capturing, I had interleaving on AVI Mux set to none. However, upon reviewing my footage (approximately 1 hour of 1280x720 videogame footage), I found that the audio gradually desyncs to about 18 seconds behind the action. Almost right off the bat the audio was off, which is really puzzling to me.

I can fix these files manually, but its a big pain to know that my capturing setup is not reliable. So can anyone suggest any help? I'm capturing to two 300GB Raid0 drives, and I'm using a multi-threaded huffyuv codec so there shouldn't be a problem with writing to the drives. Ideally, I would use Virtualdub since it has some really nice syncing options, but I can't select any other codecs.

Any help is appreciated!

I don't use the Multi-Threading Patch. I just use the regular Huffyuv or FFHuffyuv and capture to a SINGLE 7200rpm Maxtor drive. Then again my comp is a quad-core with a 1333mhz bus speed so maybe that's not realistic for most users.

Dot50Cal
17th July 2009, 06:26
I also have a quad core and I'm capturing to two raided sata drives. I'm not sure why it happens, but it continues to occur. I also noticed something really odd. I lost about 20 minutes of footage on a 152GB file while using Graph Studio. No idea how it happened, but its just gone. I'll probably switch to Virtualdub with AMV, since that seems to produce the best result.

I figure AMV2 would be best since 3 is YV12 only. Sure, that'll be what I output to eventually, but I'd like to keep raw recordings with the highest possible quality. I'm under the impression that would be YUY2 with the Intensity Pro, correct?

Revgen
20th July 2009, 00:03
^Try capping to a single drive. If your bus speed is 1333mhz, then it should be enough for huffyuv. Yes, Intensity Pro is YUY2, but I cap to yv12 just fine, no frame drops.

easy2Bcheesy
20th July 2009, 08:30
Considering I have captured 720p60 in Huffyuv using a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 back in 2005, CPU is not the problem here. GraphStudio will have no resampling/sync capabilities whatsoever. I'm guessing it's not built for video capture so should be avoided.

Dot50Cal
20th July 2009, 11:53
Been running with AMV for a bit now. It recorded 7 hours of HD footage with Virtualdub from the PS3 with zero sync issues. So I'll be going with that (even though it seems to create larger files than Huffy by a small margin). The fact that it can decode while using multiple cores is also pretty nice, since 720p Huffy footage usually chugs on fast motion if I play it in Media Player Classic. $10 well spent imo :)

The only issue I seem to have noticed is while viewing the capturing in Virtualdub, it chugs sometimes. It makes me nervous that I might drop a frame, since the CPU usage goes to 90 at times. Another one is that there is a noticeable delay between your inputs and what is presented on screen. Luckily, this can all be solved by turning off the preview and using the component out of the Intensity pro. I wonder why there isn't a 64 bit, multi-threaded version of Virtualdub out.

I'll see about putting together a quick comparison with my PV3 and the Intensity Pro. Another thing I want to look further into is the lackluster performance of the PS3's component out signal.

Easy, what cards do you own? I seem to recall you had a PV4? Any others?

EDIT/UPDATE:
Alrighty, I just finished up testing a few different theories of mine and I came out pleasantly surprised. I tested the Earthsoft PV3 and the Intensity Pro on a Playstation 3 "Test". The Test will allow me to capture from HDMI by turning HDCP off, enabling me to try the FULL RANGE RGB option on the Playstation 3.

First off, here are some notes to read:

For the Intensity HDMI and PV3 via Intensity shots, I had to adjust the black levels. I used the following in Avisynth to do this:
Levels(16, 1, 235, 0, 255, coring=false)
For the FULL RANGE Intensity test, I did not apply this command.
I also had to adjust the PV3 based shots by 1 pixel upwards, so the shots could match if you copy/pasted them onto one another.

The main goal of this test was to see how poor the PS3's analog out is (component). It creates a halo type effect on harsh edges which you can see in the shots. This initially caused me a lot of problems on captures, since these halo's even appear on the PV3 when taking a direct screenshot (without even applying its compression).

A secondary goal was to see the quality difference with component vs HDMI on the PS3. As you can see, the difference is quite substantial. The halo effects alone should drive you away from Component on the PS3.

Another thing to test was the difference between native PS3 component out, and taking the component out signal from the Intensity Pro and running them both through the Earthsoft PV3. As you can see, the preferred method for this would be using the Intensity's out (HDMI out from PS3 [to> Intensity Pro [to> Earthsoft PV3 via Intensity component out). With this method, you get rid of any halo effects.

Finally, I wanted to test the Full Range RGB option on the PS3. I was dis-pleased to see that when capturing HDMI with the Intensity, the image that the PS3 put out had black levels at 16,16,16 rather than 0,0,0. I had previously been using an Avisynth script to correct this, which worked fine, but also introduced slight deviations from the original image. Mostly it was gradient colors, or some pixels that didn't turn fully to 0,0,0. While this was invisible to the naked eye in playback, I could still sense it was there :p. Luckily, the Full Range option on the PS3 does the trick. There is no loss of black levels or anything (as far as I can tell).

My only regret about all this is that I couldn't get the component in working on the Intensity Pro. Pictures and a small "article" in a little bit! If you want to just check out the pictures yourself in the meantime, heres a 50MB zip with the images that I'll be using. (Note that the engine sometimes changed things between captures. Stuff like dust, and position of people are off in some of the pictures).

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/Testing.zip

EDIT2/UPDATE2
***If your browser hates PNG files, quote the post to see the images you are missing***
FULL RANGE vs LIMITED
Initially, I was skeptical about this option. Since it always crushed blacks for me on my television set. The results are quite different when capturing though. The Intensity Pro seems to take this setting just fine. Previously, when capturing with LIMITED, I had to manually adjust the black levels by around -16. With the setting on, I lose absolutely no shadow detail. This also cuts down on processing time, as well as any errors the correcting may have introduced.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/images/fullrange1.png
Limited on left, Full on right. You can see the gradient colors on limited (possibly a result of the black level correction I applied). *Blown up 4x

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/images/fullrange2.png
Limited on left, Full on right. More gradients inside the mouth of the Majini. *Blown up 4x

Colors are also affected. While I was doing an article for my site ( http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo ), I was struck by how the Xbox 360 seemed to have a darker green tone to the entire image. After using the Full Range, you can see that the colors certainly are slightly tuned to green. They also seem to be more vibrant with the Full Range.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/images/fullrange3.png
Limited on left, Full on right. You can see that on Full, the image takes on a green tone, similar to the Xbox 360 versions native color.

All in all, I'd say that if you have an Intensity, its definitely worth your while to turn the setting on. This way, you can get the "true" image that you are supposed to be seeing without having to tweak or modify the color settings so that black will be black.

PS3 COMPONENT OUTPUT QUALITY
For a while now, I've noticed that the PS3 just isn't up to snuff in the analog out department. While doing the 360 x PS3 comparison for several titles, the PS3 would always exhibit strange halo artifacts around every edge. It was especially apparent on harsh edges (IE: Black railing on white wall). After getting the Intensity pro, I was finally able to test this theory. Since the Intensity can take an HDMI signal and then spit that same signal back out through its component out, I was able to see if it was truely the PS3 making the artifacts or my Earthsoft PV3.

Please note that the following pictures we're compressed with Earthsoft's codec. I have no control over that, so any jpg type artifacts are a result of that.
Results are..well, mixed.
I'm still not certain whats causing the halo effect, but its most likely the Earthsoft codec. As you can see, the effect exists on both PV3 direct and Intensity>PV3 shots. With the amount of compression that it applies to the images, It would be a shot in the dark to name a culprit. However, I suspect it may be a combination of the two. The Xbox 360's component out signal doesn't have this effect when capturing on the Earthsoft PV3.

One thing I can say is that the images spit out via a direct component capture on the PS3 are more blurred than those captured from the Intensity's component out.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/images/quality1.png
Direct from PS3 on left, via intensity on right. *Blown up 4x

The PS3 direct captures also seem "squished" a bit, but its very slight.

The conclusion I come up for this is that it is better to capture HDMI off the Playstation 3, then convert that to component for capture. This is of course a bit redundant, since you are already getting an digital signal with HDMI. But this is just for arguments sake here. There does indeed appear to be something wrong with the PS3's analog out.

Seraphic-
20th July 2009, 17:27
Interesting stuff there, dot.

Don't forget, the 360 has I think five different render modes with HDMI (RGB is one) that you can try.
I don't have console on for exact names, but it is under console video settings.

What problems did you have using component in with the Intensity Pro?
If no video, did you remember to switch it to component mode in the Intensity Control Panel?

Also interested to know how you got your hands on a PS3 Test unit.
You posted about it awhile back, not never gave more information. :D

Dot50Cal
20th July 2009, 18:05
Yeah, I captured those using RGB. It fit the most with what the PS3 was outputting. Others made black 1,1,1 , or something other than 0,0,0. So it was obvious which ones to use. The only important thing was setting the range to expanded. That made 16,16,16 into 0,0,0.

I just can't get any video to show up. I did change that setting in the Intensity control panel, but still no luck. As for the Test, working in the industry has its perks :)

Seraphic-
20th July 2009, 18:50
For the Intensity component, there are a few things to check.
1. Make sure component cables are plugged into the correct "IN" plugs on the Intensity analog adapter.
2. Make sure you match the console and intensity analog settings (i.e both set to 480i for example).
3. Make sure intensity is switched to analog input mode (which you already said you did).

In closing, analog input works for PS3/360 on Intensity.
I've tried it once or twice and recall having a few issues. Just need double check cables/settings.

You found one at a liquidation sale? Nice. Must of cost a lot.
Well, don't think I would have much luck finding a Test Unit.
That is okay though, I record direct HDMI from my retail PS3 (or 360), which works out better I think anyway as console keeps its blu-ray/dvd movie playback features that Test Units remove.

Oh and I don't think I really need for my MonxterX anymore if anyone is interested.
It has 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 720p capture.

squid_80
22nd July 2009, 08:33
I wonder why there isn't a 64 bit, multi-threaded version of Virtualdub out.
The preview already runs on a separate thread, and the 64-bit version of virtualdub has the same capturing features as the 32-bit version - there just aren't many 64-bit compatible capture cards. The intensity claims to be 64-bit compatible, but in reality it just has 64-bit drivers with a 32-bit directshow interface. Hence it will work under a 64-bit OS but only in 32-bit programs.

Schrade
23rd July 2009, 09:26
That is okay though, I record direct HDMI from my retail PS3 (or 360), which works out better I think anyway as console keeps its blu-ray/dvd movie playback features that Test Units remove.

!!! Do tell please!

Dot50Cal
23rd July 2009, 10:23
Hes probably using one of those HDCP strippers. I'd be curious to know how long hes been using it, and if Sony has ever blocked such a device with their PS3 updates.

Seraphic-
24th July 2009, 08:18
No, I don't use a HDCP stripper, rather a modified display device.
But HDCP stripping is a really risky business.
You could spend several hundred dollars for one, then at any time, it can stop working.

HDCP security is built around a three-stage authentication protocol:

Device authentication that will not allow non-compliant devices to receive HD content. During this process, source and sink devices exchange their 'public' key which they then use in conjunction with their set of special secret keys, in order to arrive at a common computed number that they will eventually use in the encryption process.

Encryption of the actual data that will flow over the link using the special computed number arrived at during the device authentication process.

Key-revocation procedures to ensure that any device which violates the license agreement could be relatively easily blocked from receiving HD data. Key revocation lists are encoded onto the media - meaning the newer the media - e.g. DVD disc - the larger will be the revocation list.

It is this key revocation process that makes HDCP sort of 'future-proof' when it comes to combating the use of fake or rogue devices. Through key revocation, HDCP gives the media, content, or even other devices, the ability to invalidate keys of devices known to be a problem.

This means that everything may be working fine with your $500 HDCP stripper box and then one day, you discover that your HDTV is refusing to show any picture. What happened is that your HDTV source has simply invalidated the keys used by your stripper box - hence it is no longer passing the authentication process.

HDCP has the power to retroactively disable any HDCP-enabled device!

Oh and I don't think I really need for my MonxterX anymore if anyone is interested.

Dot50Cal
29th July 2009, 19:54
Could you explain what you mean by modified display device? I'd love to be able to capture via HDMI from a retail PS3, but as far as I know, the Intensity won't unless it is unprotected.

miraged
29th July 2009, 20:30
What Dot said, would like to know it too.

Chikuzen
30th July 2009, 13:01
Hi,guys.
I was surprised to know that this thread came for the first time today, and PV4 was being used by countries other than Japan.

EarthSoft seems to schedule PV5 to be put on the market, and to have already ended the design. (The sale will become next year. )
Because PV5 seems to use PCIe, 1980p-capture might become possible.

Sorry for my bad english.

miraged
30th July 2009, 16:31
日本人? 私の日本語はとても悪いです ^^

Anyway, I always wondered about a PV5, so awesome to know that we will get it (sooner or later).

Dot50Cal
30th July 2009, 22:51
Hi,guys.
I was surprised to know that this thread came for the first time today, and PV4 was being used by countries other than Japan.

EarthSoft seems to schedule PV5 to be put on the market, and to have already ended the design. (The sale will become next year. )
Because PV5 seems to use PCIe, 1980p-capture might become possible.

Sorry for my bad english.
Fully readable for me ;) Any details on what inputs it might have? Is it still D-Terminal or will they switch to HDMI as well?

Chikuzen
31st July 2009, 14:00
日本人?
Yes:)

Chikuzen
31st July 2009, 14:21
Fully readable for me ;) Any details on what inputs it might have? Is it still D-Terminal or will they switch to HDMI as well?
I think that the input of PV5 becomes only D-terminal as well as PV4.

Mr. Osada (president of EarthSoft) talked about us (fans of EarthSoft) in 2ch(BBS) as follows at middle of this month.
"Because priority levels are lower than another, it has not done anything yet though I want to be making the HDMI input capture card.
And, the procurement of parts for HDMI became difficult than before maybe for the license problem:(Ē

Dot50Cal
31st July 2009, 19:26
Thanks for the information Chikuzen! I'm surprised the president posted on 2chan. I imagine its a very different place to the American equivalent in that case, haha.

Seraphic-
1st August 2009, 07:00
In regards to the Earthsoft PV5, did some searching and found two links on a Japanese website:
http://earthsoft.jp/PV5/index.html
http://earthsoft.jp/PV5/tech-specification.html
Was hoping to get a look at the specs but pages are down/deleted.
If it does true 1080p over D-terminal I'm sold.
My PV4 accepts 1920x1080p as 960x1080p and records as such.
But what I was unsure of was if it records half the 1920 resolution as 960 or if it records the full 1920 but just as 960 and you have to resize back to 1920 again.

It is PCIe 1x and has 480i, 480p, 1080i, and 720p capture.

Chikuzen
1st August 2009, 10:43
In regards to the Earthsoft PV5, did some searching and found two links on a Japanese website:
http://earthsoft.jp/PV5/index.html
http://earthsoft.jp/PV5/tech-specification.html
Was hoping to get a look at the specs but pages are down/deleted.

Those links are all the one of fictitious.

"Hey,do you know? PV5 will come soon!
Click this link if you think that it is a lie:cool:
http://earthsoft.jp/PV5/index.html”

Such a mischief is often posted in bbs2ch:p

But my posts are not lies;)
http://earthsoft.jp/PV/tech-pci-data-rate.html
(インターレース=interlaced, プログレッシブ=progressive)
This is a table of the band that PV4 needs.
It is shown that 960x1080x60p is a limit in PV4 that uses PCI.
It is still too narrow for 1920x1080p in PCI though PV4 decreases a necessary band by converting the input into YUV422.

To be turning out about PV5 now is only to schedule PCIe to be used.
And, the band of PCIe is three times or more PCI.
Therefore,I am expecting 1080p capture for PV5 to be achieved.

Seraphic-
2nd August 2009, 23:26
Yes, I believe you and are you in Japan by chance? Seems like you are based on your posts.
When do you think Earthsoft with release the technical specs of the PV5?
Sent them an e-mail asking for more information, but do not think I will hear back.
Would like to know what they are. Soon as I do, I'll look to sell my PV4 and MonsterX.
Although, I am taking offers on both the PV4 and MonsterX now.

Chikuzen
3rd August 2009, 18:31
When do you think Earthsoft with release the technical specs of the PV5?
Perhaps,I think it will come in March in January of next year.
EarthSoft puts a new product on the market in this September. (It is not capturecard. )
http://earthsoft.jp/order/index.html
According to this page,those manufacturing and shipment's ending seems to become February next year. I think that Mr. Osada will be not to have time to announce about PV5 to the end of them.
Because Mr. Osada doesn't have the subordinate, and either he is almost doing everything to the work of EarthSoft alone other than manufacturing and delivery.

easy2Bcheesy
4th August 2009, 16:41
To be turning out about PV5 now is only to schedule PCIe to be used.
And, the band of PCIe is three times or more PCI.
Therefore,I am expecting 1080p capture for PV5 to be achieved.

PV5 will need to be a PCIe x4 card to do 1080p at 60Hz. There is not enough bandwidth on a PCIe x1 card, which realistically gives you 200MB/s when 422 1080p requires 248MB/s or thereabouts.

Seraphic-
4th August 2009, 20:35
PV5 will need to be a PCIe x4 card to do 1080p at 60Hz. There is not enough bandwidth on a PCIe x1 card, which realistically gives you 200MB/s when 422 1080p requires 248MB/s or thereabouts.

So how is it the PV4 is able to accept 1080p on PCI interface? True that it is 960x1080p 59.94, but it would seem would not have the bandwidth for any form of 1080p. What is the MB/s PCI buss and output?

Also easy2Bcheesy, do you know if the PV4 records half the 1920 resolution as 960 or if it records the full 1920 resolution but just in a 960 resolution, thus you have to resize back to 1920?

easy2Bcheesy
4th August 2009, 20:39
The PCI interface is the communications relay between the card and the motherboard. Before data streams to the motherboard, it can have as much bandwidth as is engineered into it. Therefore what is happening with the PV4 is that the data is being input at full bandwidth, then cut down in half to 124MB/s for its journey through the PCI port.

I've no idea about your other question as I've not got a PV4.

easy2Bcheesy
4th August 2009, 20:47
Thinking about it if the PV's compression scheme is on the hardware and not in the software (unlikely) then maybe a PCIe x1 device would be viable.

PCI bus is variable from system to system. The PV's 960x1080 at 60Hz mode is really pushing the bandwidth to its absolute max.

Seraphic-
4th August 2009, 20:56
PCI bus is variable from system to system. The PV's 960x1080 at 60Hz mode is really pushing the bandwidth to its absolute max.

Yes, it is. I have a PCI soundcard and PCI PV4, when both run at the same time, the soundcard starts to malfunction.
Get popping/buzzing from speakers. PV4 must be using most if not all the available bandwidth.
Even increasing the PCI latency in the BIOS will not help.

I've no idea about your other question as I've not got a PV4.

Is there anyway for me to tell after running tests?
Or should I post a sample?

Pyrii
5th August 2009, 05:28

I'm interest, mainly for 480p component input :3 If it's still available. I'm not sure why the intensity pro DOESN'T do 480p, seems like a strange restriction.

Seraphic-
5th August 2009, 18:59
I'm interest, mainly for 480p component input :3 If it's still available. I'm not sure why the intensity pro DOESN'T do 480p, seems like a strange restriction.

Yeah, I agree. I have asked BlackMagic Tech support about this and they say that 480p is not common in cameras, so that is the reason.
Also, they say the card will accept 480p, but the hardware will turn it into 480i. But when ever I input for 480p, I get no display.

Anyway, I guess we should take this to PMs maybe? (send me your offer)
If anyone else is interested, let me know.
Here is some more information:

Card was purchased new directly in Japan and has had one owner, myself.
Card has been well taken care of and is in like new condition.
Card is ideal for capture from any current/past generation (PS3/Xbox360/Wii etc) consoles.
Card is extremely rare and hard find and is 100% working.
Let me know if you are interested or if you have questions.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8510/monsterx.jpg

MonsterX Technical Specifications
Video Capture: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
Audio Capture: Two Channel Linear PCM
Video Connectors: Japanese D-Terminal
Audio Connectors: RCA (red/white), Optical Toslink

Pyrii
6th August 2009, 14:10
Yeah, I agree. I have asked BlackMagic Tech support about this and they say that 480p is not common in cameras, so that is the reason.
Also, they say the card will accept 480p, but the hardware will turn it into 480i. But when ever I input for 480p, I get no display.

Anyway, I guess we should take this to PMs maybe? (send me your offer)
If anyone else is interested, let me know.
Here is some more information:

Card was purchased new directly in Japan and has had one owner, myself.
Card has been well taken care of and is in like new condition.
Card is ideal for capture from any current/past generation (PS3/Xbox360/Wii etc) consoles.
Card is extremely rare and hard find and is 100% working.
Let me know if you are interested or if you have questions.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8510/monsterx.jpg

MonsterX Technical Specifications
Video Capture: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
Video Connectors: Japanese D-Terminal
Audio Connectors: RCA (red/white), Optical Toslink

Well I need to capture 480p via component, is there a breakout cable for this?

EDIT: Looking closer it says D/YPbPi in, so I'd say yes. Just as long as there's a cable/adaptor

Chikuzen
6th August 2009, 15:15
Well I need to capture 480p via component, is there a breakout cable for this?

EDIT: Looking closer it says D/YPbPi in, so I'd say yes. Just as long as there's a cable/adaptor

D-Terminal is subspecies of the component used only in Japan.
The signal is same YPbPr as the component.
http://www.fujiparts.co.jp/fvcds.jpg
http://www.fujiparts.co.jp/ds.htm
The equipment of the component output can connect to MonsterX and PV4 if there is such a cable.
The grade from D1 to D5 is, and corresponds to 480i(D1), 480p(D2), 1080i(D3), 720p(D4), and 1080p(D5) respectively in D-Terminal.
It is necessary to take care to which grade about the cable corresponds when the cable is bought.
For instance, D1 might not be able to be output to the cable (When it is the inferior one) that corresponds to D4.

Pyrii
6th August 2009, 17:07
Easy enough to make a conversion cable, failing that, solder component breakouts straight onto the board (as well as sticking a resistor on the cable detect). I'm also curious if you can capture uncompressed pure video from it or whether the card re-compresses it. I have a capture RAID array of 3Tb for capturing HD video so that part isn't the problem.

Chikuzen
6th August 2009, 18:05
3TB?
Are you using 64bit OS?
MonsterX never re-compresses movie by it.But it can be used only on 32bit Windows(XP or Vista).
PV4 can be used on 64bit Windows(XP,Vista and 7).But it re-compresses movie,and the result is lossy only just a little.

Pyrii
6th August 2009, 18:25
3TB?
Are you using 64bit OS?
MonsterX never re-compresses movie by it.But it can be used only on 32bit Windows(XP or Vista).
PV4 can be used on 64bit Windows(XP,Vista and 7).But it re-compresses movie,and the result is lossy only just a little.

Windows7 x64 on my laptop and capture machine. I'll prolly be using VirtualDub for capture. Premiere is nice, but virtualdub has far more options for controlling capture.

[Manufacturer]
%SKN%=SKNET,NTAMD64

[SKNET]
%SKNCap.DeviceDesc%=SKNCap,PCI\VEN_1A0A&DEV_6200&SUBSYS_32756301
%SKNCap.DeviceDesc%=SKNCap,PCI\VEN_1A0A&DEV_6200

[SKNET.NTAMD64]
%SKNCap.DeviceDesc%=SKNCap,PCI\VEN_1A0A&DEV_6200&SUBSYS_32756301
%SKNCap.DeviceDesc%=SKNCap,PCI\VEN_1A0A&DEV_6200

Seraphic-
6th August 2009, 18:33
Chikuzen about summed everything up.
MonsterX can capture in full lossless or using any WMD codec installed to your system (32bit os only)
PV4 can only capture using a proprietary lossy codec. (32bit or 64bit os)
I take it you are using a GPT file system on your raid array to go above the normal 2TB raid limit, right?
What kind if speeds do you get for read/write using the disk tester for your Intensity?

And yes, there are D-Terminal to Component cables and vice versa.
D-Terminal is just the Japanese version of Component.
In my case, I purchased direct official manufacture D-Terminal cables for the all the consoles I work with.
To be honest, I like it better. Why have five cables to plug in when you could have three?

So what kind of capture work are you doing? For a website or just personal use?

Chikuzen
6th August 2009, 19:32
Why have five cables to plug in when you could have three?

haha.
I do not think like that though I am Japanese.
As for D-terminal cable, connectors are more breakable and more expensive than the component cables. The component cable can be substituted even with three yellow cables for composites.
I often think like this.
"The raison d'etre of D-terminal standard is to gain the cable manufacturers unjustified:angry:"

Pyrii
6th August 2009, 20:05
haha.
I do not think like that though I am Japanese.
As for D-terminal cable, connectors are more breakable and more expensive than the component cables. The component cable can be substituted even with three yellow cables for composites.
I often think like this.
"The raison d'etre of D-terminal standard is to gain the cable manufacturers unjustified:angry:"

Agreed, while component cables are fiddly and cumbersome, they are fairly simple for an analogue standard, widely supported and cheap as chips to make yourself (http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Audio-Video/Phono/Phono-line-sockets/60347). HDMI is annoying as businesses are praying on consumer stupidity to overcharge for "High quality" cables on a digital signal o_O

Seraphic-
6th August 2009, 21:11
Yeah, the HDMI scene is bad. Monster Cable (and others) with the just insane prices for HDMI cables.

I also might be looking to sell my PV4 soon too. More Information:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6703/pv41.jpg

PV4 Technical Specifications
Video Capture: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
Video Connectors: Japanese D-Terminal x2
Audio Connectors: Optical Toslink x2

Dot50Cal
9th August 2009, 07:50
Does anyone know of a way to capture the PV3/4 video/audio streams in something like Virtualdub or Graph Studio? I recall a while back, when I first got the card, there was a Japanese site that hosted an Avisynth script which took the live stream from the PV3 and allowed you to record in Virtualdub, but it had its drawbacks. Just curious if there has been any advancements in this field.

The main reason I ask is because I'd really love to be able to capture 480p lossless. After using the PV3 for a long time and getting the Intensity Pro, its made me realize that I shouldn't really substitute for anything less than lossless on archiving footage :) The AMV codec is great in that regard.

Chikuzen
9th August 2009, 12:30
Does anyone know of a way to capture the PV3/4 video/audio streams in something like Virtualdub or Graph Studio? I recall a while back, when I first got the card, there was a Japanese site that hosted an Avisynth script which took the live stream from the PV3 and allowed you to record in Virtualdub, but it had its drawbacks. Just curious if there has been any advancements in this field.

The main reason I ask is because I'd really love to be able to capture 480p lossless. After using the PV3 for a long time and getting the Intensity Pro, its made me realize that I shouldn't really substitute for anything less than lossless on archiving footage :) The AMV codec is great in that regard.

If you want to capture lossless with PV4 by all means, I recommend desktop capture to be used for you.
When setting of VideoTechnology described in PV.txt is rewritten from 0 in 2, PV4 comes to do drawing of the preview by not overlay but using DxVA2.0. And,you will be able to use Fraps,Dxtory,AmaRecCo and Windows Media Encoder,etc.
The method of using AviSynth is stopping developing now. The method was originally developed by reverse assembling PV.exe. However, the developer has resigned the update because he became impossible to catch up with the change of the specification of PV.exe it:(
A better method is to buy MonsterX (For instance, from Seraphic:D).
I do not think that I use these methods by the purposes other than the streaming because I satisfy it with the performance of PV3DVcodec. It is high-quality enough for me,and it It is compressed fast and compact in time even HDD of the USB2.0 connection at 480p.The good above all one is not to generate the drop frame. Because PV.exe stops caputure if it is generated(However, it might be able to be said that this is the most awful fault).

Seraphic-
9th August 2009, 21:20
I have a bunch of stuff to sell really.
Just do not think I need any of them anymore.

MonsterX Capture Card
PV4 Capture Card
Official Sony PS3 D-Terminal Cable
Official Sony PSP D-Terminal Cable
Official Microsoft Xbox 360 D-Terminal Cable
Official Nintendo Wii D-Terminal Cable
Component to D-Terminal Cable

Dot50Cal
13th August 2009, 03:29
Chikuzen, how exactly would I go about setting that up? I'm not familiar with anything in the PV3/4 scene, since most of it is in Japanese or hard to come by through English search engines. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Seraphic-, Can you post some uncompressed shots of some 480p games? I'm curious how the quality is.

Seraphic-
13th August 2009, 04:03
Seraphic-, Can you post some uncompressed shots of some 480p games? I'm curious how the quality is.

Yeah sure, any requests? I have all the consoles, but not many games.
Maybe some demos from PSN/XBLive? You want 4:3s or 16:9s?

Chikuzen
13th August 2009, 13:35
Chikuzen, how exactly would I go about setting that up? I'm not familiar with anything in the PV3/4 scene, since most of it is in Japanese or hard to come by through English search engines. Any help is greatly appreciated!
I translated PV.txt into English.
; English translation by Chikuzen too not accurate.
; These set values are read When PV.exe starts.

[DirectX]
; Method of displaying image (Default value: 0)
; 0: DirectDraw 7.0 Overlay (※1)
; 1: DirectDraw 7.0 Offscreen
; 2: DirectX Video Acceleration 2.0 (※2)
; (※1) Aero is invalidated for Windows Vista immediately after the start.
; (※2) Necessary system requirements:WindowsXP or Vista / Graphics card for DirectX10.0 / dxva2.dll (XP onry)
; Dxva2.dll is distributed with .NET Framework 3.0.
VideoTechnology=2

; Method of outputting sound (Default value: 0)
; 0: DirectSound 2.0
; 1: DirectSound 8.0 [Unmounting]
; 2: XAudio2 [Unmounting]
AudioTechnology=0

[AnalogVideoInterface]
; Phase of sampling clock (Unit:1/32 pixel / Setting range:0~31 / Default value:16 / AD9980 Register address 0x04 [7:3])
Phase=16

[Pixel]
; Input value of Cb/Cr (0:Operation usually 1:compulsorily sets it to Ī0)
DisableCb=0
DisableCr=0

;Input delay of Y/Cb/Cr (Unit:pixel / Setting range:-500~+500 / Default value:0)
; Please make DelayCb and DelayCr an even number for PV3.
DelayY =0
DelayCb=0
DelayCr=0

[DMA]
; Method of locking buffer (Default value:1)
; 0: The entire buffer is locked before it begins to forward DMA.
; 1: Buffer of amount specified with PreLock is locked before it begins to forward,and After it begins to forward DMA, the entire buffer is locked one by one.
; 2: Buffer of amount specified with PreLock is locked before it begins to forward,and the amount of the buffer locked after it begins to forward DMA is not changed.
LockMode=1

; Amount of buffer locked before DMA forwarding begins (Unit:1001/60000sec / Setting range:3 or more / Default value:30)
; It is disregarded at LockMode=0.
PreLock=30

[PCI]
; The lowest, permissible value of latency timer (Setting range:0~248 / Default value:128)
; The value of the latency timer is examined when starting, and when it is smaller than a specified value, it sets it to a specified value.
; It is necessary that it is a multiple of eight.
LatencyTimer=128

; Setting of high-speed back to back transaction. (0:Disable 1:Enable / Default value:0)
EnableFastBackToBack=0

; Setting of DAC on 32bit space (0:Disable 1:Enable / Default value:0)
AlwaysUseDualAddressCycle=0

The place of PV.txt is "C:\Documents and Settings\account\EARTH SOFT\PV\PV.txt"(XP) or "C:\Users\account\EarthSoft\PV\PV.txt"(Vista).
Please use it beforehand in the self-responsibility after taking the backup of PV.txt. (Tentatively, it confirmed the operation. )

Moreover, if contents of QuantizerMatrix.txt are rewritten, the amount of the quantization of luma and chroma of PV3DVCodec can be changed.
All these values can be set again within the range from 16 to 65535. It is the highest quality (lowest compressibility) by 16.
The quality goes up a little in PV3DVcodec if everything is adjusted to 16(And, filesize considerably grows:D).

Seraphic-
13th August 2009, 17:42
Thanks for the translation, even with Japanese Language installed on my system, notepad displays that page in "%@&%???" characters for some reason. So basically, what you are doing with that is disabling hardware acceleration/overlay, then using a program like fraps to record the preview window using a lossless codec?

miraged
13th August 2009, 17:58
I translated PV.txt into English.

ありがとうございます!

@seraphics, opening the textfile in firefox displays it in japanese for me.

I really think I need to play around with my PV4 again, this seems very interesting!

Chikuzen
13th August 2009, 18:28
Thanks for the translation, even with Japanese Language installed on my system, notepad displays that page in "%@&%???" characters for some reason.
It is because the character-code used is Shift_JIS. The shift to UTF-8 doesn't proceed easily because Shift-JIS has been shortly used for 30 years in Japan.
So basically, what you are doing with that is disabling hardware acceleration/overlay, then using a program like fraps to record the preview window using a lossless codec?
That's right.
Because drop frames will be generated in this method, I do not like it so much.

Seraphic-
13th August 2009, 21:26
Ah, alright. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm looking to sell these cables if anyone is interested.

Official Sony PS3 D-Terminal Cable - Asking $25 (negotiable)
Official Microsoft Xbox 360 D-Terminal Cable - Asking $25 (negotiable)
Official Sony PSP D-Terminal Cable - Asking $25 (negotiable)
Official Nintendo Wii D-Terminal Cable - Asking $25 (negotiable)
Monster Cable Optical Toslink Cable - Asking $10 (negotiable)
Component to D-Terminal Cable - Asking $5 (Capture video from PC. Works best with video cards that include component video output adapter) (negotiable)

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2186/sellstuff.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2774/stuff2y.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/791/mco.jpg

Chikuzen
25th August 2009, 16:48
I finished reading this thread to the last minute, and noticed one.
It is that no one refers the method of reading .dv file with AviSynth.

AviUtl is a high performance and excellent software,but I have hardly seen information other than Japanese concerning this.
TMPGEnc4.0XP can also treat .dv,but it is charged and can treat x264 only with vfw unlike AviUtl.

Is there a person who knows the method of reading .dv file with AviSynth?

miraged
25th August 2009, 17:02
Btw Chikuzen, did the last earthsoft driver/software update bring anything useful?

Chikuzen
25th August 2009, 18:45
Btw Chikuzen, did the last earthsoft driver/software update bring anything useful?
Especially, there is no remarkable change.
It is only update of the installer.

miraged
25th August 2009, 22:02
Ah okay, thanks :).

Seraphic-
26th August 2009, 06:49
Yeah, I noticed there was a new driver/update as well.
So any updates on PV5? Earthsoft never mailed me back. :(
It seems random if they reply, sometimes they do and other times they do not.

On a side note, anyone using their PV4 with Vista x64?
I switched it from my Windows XP 32bit system to my other Vista x64bit system.
But now I am unable to get the drivers to run/install as the PV4 driver is not digitally signed.

Chikuzen
28th August 2009, 15:18
On a side note, anyone using their PV4 with Vista x64?
I switched it from my Windows XP 32bit system to my other Vista x64bit system.
But now I am unable to get the drivers to run/install as the PV4 driver is not digitally signed.
Push F8 when you start Vista x64.
If you feel unpleasantness to push F8 every time,use ReadyDriverPlusV1.1.
http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

Seraphic-
28th August 2009, 17:50
Push F8 when you start Vista x64.
If you feel unpleasantness to push F8 every time,use ReadyDriverPlusV1.1.
http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider works too.

jalyst
29th August 2009, 10:26

Sorry for reviving an old thread but are you sure about that?

I imagine with the right adapter there's no reason why it couldn't take two analogue sources via the A/V-in.
Just like it can take two analogue sources via the RF...

2.I success capture video with VirtualDub , but it crash often while I setting it. Debug window shows "ksproxy.ax".

I'd be really interested in this too!
More often than not the hw encode would be a wank, so one would want the option to bypass it.

By all accounts the E900F uses many of the same chipsets as the HVR-2200, and this is nearing full support in Linux.

jalyst
7th September 2009, 18:10
guess you're not subscribed to the thread anymore :-(

Schrade
5th October 2009, 04:06
Well, earlier on in the thread Seraphic mentioned something about a way to remove HDCP so he could capture from HDMI.

Here's a site that mentions a TV that is vulnerable to doing this:

http://sites.google.com/site/hdcontentsecurity/

Found via: http://hackaday.com/2009/10/01/tv-hack-bypasses-hdcp/

jalyst
12th October 2009, 06:20
hmm, not sure what this has to do with my post but thanks.

Schrade
12th October 2009, 06:30
hmm, not sure what this has to do with my post but thanks.

Nothing to do with your post otherwise I would have quoted your post...

jalyst
19th October 2009, 04:56
who's post were you addressing?

Nothing to do with your post otherwise I would have quoted your post...

Schrade
20th October 2009, 10:00
Well if you read the first line of my post... (just go to the previous page and read a bit)

jalyst
26th October 2009, 05:49
YouCan'tGetME/anyone? Care to address my response to this earlier post?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1262916#post1262916
Thanks

Sorry for reviving an old thread but are you sure about that?

I imagine with the right adapter there's no reason why it couldn't take two analogue sources via the A/V-in.
Just like it can take two analogue sources via the RF...

I'd be really interested in this too! (more so in Linux)
More often than not the hw encode would be a wank, so one would want the option to bypass it.

*Update*
I learned that these are quite different beasts & at this stage there's no support for E900F.
There is however some solid support developing for HVR-2200....

By all accounts the E900F uses many of the same chipsets as the HVR-2200, and this is nearing full support in Linux.

Seraphic-
11th November 2009, 01:39
If anyone is interested, I am looking to sell my Blackmagic Intensity Pro + two 3ft DVI to HDMI cables (HDMI 1.3a certified).
It supports compressed and uncompressed capture (720x480i, 1280x720p, 1920x1080i) over Component and HDMI.
Comes with all original items, retail box, install CD, manual booklet, intensity pro card, and component break-out cable.
Send me a PM for more information.

miraged
4th March 2010, 18:51
Hm, did anyone try to install a PV4 under Win7 Pro 64bit. I recently upgraded and when I wanted to install the card for capturing it didn't work at all.

edwinbradford
4th March 2010, 21:49
Hm, did anyone try to install a PV4 under Win7 Pro 64bit. I recently upgraded and when I wanted to install the card for capturing it didn't work at all.

I had a quick read of the PV4 notes on the manufacturers site and it said something about pressing the F8 key when Windows Vista 64 boots and disabling the enforcement of driver signatures. I know its not Windows 7 but you could try it, Windows driver issues is why I don't want to upgrade myself.

miraged
4th March 2010, 23:37
I used Vista 64bit before that and it worked without problems.

The problem is that I am already in the mode to install unsigned drivers, but the driver itself can't be installed =/.

Seraphic-
6th March 2010, 23:09
I sold my PV4 awhile ago, but I do recall it not working when I tried installing in Win7.
(I believe the drivers are not intended for Win7)

But that does not mean you couldn't try again using Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider.
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

Chikuzen
7th March 2010, 12:23
An un-official PV-driver to evade the problem concerning the signature has appeared in Japan.
http://www.mediafire.com/?o4z4u0fyjoi
I have been using this on win7(x64) for about three month, and there seems especially to be no problem in this.
(Though I might be lucky...)
I don’t have so much time now though it tried to translate readme.txt.
I think that I can translate perhaps if it is possible to wait for about one week...

miraged
7th March 2010, 15:50
Ah hey Chikuzen,

I was hoping you would still check out this thread!

It would be awesome if you could translate the readme. Time isn't a problem since I don't plan on capturing in the next weeks.

Thanks in advance already.

Chikuzen
8th March 2010, 16:59
Because my main PC occupation period by MCBob of three days that was the schedule had ended by the crash in a day, I became possible to complete translating early it besides the desire:confused::eek::scared::angry::mad::(:cool:;)

PV4 64bit un-official Windows Driver3.60 for signature problem (http://www.mediafire.com/?o4z4u0fyjoi)

PV4 64bit un-official Windows Driver3.60 for signature problem

* Even if F8 is not pushed when windows starts, it comes to be able to use PV4.
* Use this at your own risk. There is no warranty at all.

------------------------------------------------------------

0. Download the following two files.
PV4-Windows-Driver-360.exe (official PV-Driver)
(http://earthsoft.jp/PV/bin/PV4-Windows-Driver-360.exe)
PV-Windows-360-64bit.exe (official PV-application)
(http://earthsoft.jp/PV/bin/PV-Windows-360-64bit.exe)

1. First of all, uninstall official PV-Driver if you have already installed it.
execute following in order of a), b), and c).
a) Controll Panel -> Programs and Features -> PV4 ドライババージョン 3.6 -> Uninstall
b) Device Manager -> Jungo -> WinDriver -> Properties -> Driver -> Uninstall
c) Device Manager -> Sounds,video and game controllers -> EARTH SOFT PV4 -> Properties
-> Driver -> Uninstall

Check "Action"(Menu Bar) -> "Scan for Hardware changes" after b) and c).
If "WinDriver" or "EARTH SOFT PV4" appear again, repeat b) and c) until they disappear.
(If "Other devices" and "Multimedia Controller" are appeared, it is a success.)

2. Install official PV-Driver (PV4-Windows-Driver-360.exe) in your Windows.

3. Install un-official PV-Driver
execute following in order of a) and b)
a) Device Manager -> Action -> Add legacy Hardwar -> Next
-> "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list(Advanced)" and "Next"
-> "Show All Devices" and "Next" -> "Have disk..."
-> Specify ...\PV_x64_360\windrvr6_EARTHSOFT_PV4_driver.inf and "OK"
-> Install all warning disregarding it.
-> Confirm "Jungo" and "WinDriver" are appireared on Device Manager.
b) Device Manager -> Other Device -> Update Device Driver
-> Brouse my computer for drive software Specify ..\PV4_x64_360 and "Next"
-> Install all warning disregarding it.
-> Confirm "EARTH SOFT PV4" is appireared under "Sounds,video and game controllers" on Device Manager.

4. Install PV-Windows-360-64bit.exe in your Windows if you have not done it yet.

5. Run PV.exe and confirm operation.

6. Finished

Cheers,
Chikuzen

miraged
8th March 2010, 23:50
That was faster than expected, thanks a lot for the translation.

I hope I can try it out tomorrow.

miraged
14th March 2010, 14:12
Finally got the time to test this today.

This works like a charm, so thanks a lot Chikuzen.

MaggIvy
25th March 2010, 04:07
Hi, I have a question, I'm trying to capture cut scenes from Bayonetta on PS3, and I'm getting an awful lot of screen tearing at the top. It comes and goes, but it's there a fair amount of the time.

I was wondering if anyone can help me fix this? It never did that before on other games, but this one it does. I'm gonna try it on a couple other games to see what my result is. I really don't want to chop off the top of these videos...I will if I have to.

I'm using the Intensity Pro, on PS3 connected via component. I've tried using different programs and I get the same result on them all.

Here's a picture.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/MaggIvy/Others/Screenie.png

easy2Bcheesy
25th March 2010, 05:34
It's a part of the game, there's nothing you can really do about it.

MaggIvy
27th March 2010, 02:57
Damn, that sucks. Well that's all I wanted to know. Thanks.

First I thought it was my pc or something.

Seraphic-
28th March 2010, 20:55
Anyone know the difference between the original SKNet MonsterX and the newer MonsterX-i?
After some searching I think the X-i added something to check for copy-protection.
Can the X-i still capture uncompressed though?

Also, what ever happened to that EarthSoft PV5 talk late last year?

jalyst
29th March 2010, 06:57
Why would one want a 480p capture card when there's devices like the Hauppauge HD-PVR (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR) around nowadays?
Just curious, not criticising anyone here!

Seraphic-
14th April 2010, 03:12
Why would want a 480p capture card when there's devices like the Hauppauge HD-PVR (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR) around nowadays?
Just curious, not criticising anyone here!

Because, why would you want to capture to a lossy codec when you don't have to?

Anyway, it looks like BlackMagic has answered the call with their new Intensity Shuttle that supports uncompressed capture of composite, s-video, component and hdmi up to 1080p (including 480p) all for $199. USB 3.0 Required.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Intensity Shuttle is a USB 3.0 version of Intensity Pro, however it also includes separate connections for HDMI 1.3, component, composite and s-video, with full 10 bit quality. It powers from the USB 3.0 connection, and is very compact in an attractive white inline design.

The quality of Intensity Shuttle video is amazing, and I think one of the most exciting things we have done is to build in broadcast quality video at a consumer price. There is just nothing available with such high video quality as Intensity Shuttle! I think Intensity Shuttle will continue to bring high quality video to even more videographers for true professional work.

Intensity Shuttle requires the same Intel x58 series computer with USB 3.0 connection as the UltraStudio Pro.

One exciting feature of Intensity Shuttle (and UltraStudio Pro) is it includes full support for HDMI and component up to 1080p60. However even though current USB 3.0 computers support full 10 bit uncompressed at normal 1080i HD frame rates, current USB 3.0 computers don't yet have enough speed to operate at progressive frame rates. But Intensity Shuttle is ready as computers get faster!

Intensity Shuttle supports working with Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Fusion and more. We also include our Media Express software, and there is a free developer SDK available.

Intensity Shuttle will we available in early May for US$199.

squid_80
14th April 2010, 11:22
Where does it say that 480p is supported?

Edit: nm, found it on the specs page.

Seraphic-
14th April 2010, 16:34
Yeah, but it might be 480p with component only as 480p isn't listed as supported under the HDMI supported resolution list (which sucks). Anyway, looks like one would just need the Intensity Shuttle and one of the below cards for $30 and you are set to go (but won't be able to do 1080p/60).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995004

miraged
15th April 2010, 00:25
Sadly that wont work (well according to the specs):

Installation: USB 3.0. Requires x58 based computer or better with a USB 3.0 connection.

Obviously I would be happy if your dont need this chipset...

mariush
15th April 2010, 17:29
That warning is only for Intel chipsets because even though they say their PCI Express lanes used for USB3 and other small controllers are PCI-Express 2.0, the bandwidth throughput is that of 1.0 so the maximum the devices get is 250MB/s.
I believe x58 is the only chipset that works right and gives 512MB/s bandwidth, the one of PCI express 2.0.

Most motherboards with Intel chipsets that have USB3 nowadays have some sort of hardware chip that multiplexes the signal from USB3 with the PCI Express 2.0 lanes that go to the second pci-express slot (where the video cards go) or they combine several pci-express 1.0 lanes to give usb3 and sata3 enough bandwidth.

See this article about 6 gbps sata3 and why it sucks on Intel boards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2973/6gbps-sata-performance-amd-890gx-vs-intel-x58-p55/3 (this is page 3, see also page 2 and the rest)

AMD boards don't have this issue, all the lanes are real 2.0, 512 MB/s but I guess Blackmagic only thought of Intel boards when they said that.

miraged
16th April 2010, 12:49
Too bad I dont have a AMD board :s.

jalyst
19th April 2010, 08:54
Because, why would you want to capture to a lossy codec when you don't have to?

Well I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to avoid mandatory transcodes of captured streams to a lossy format.
I haven't looked closely enough yet TBH... And it depends on the intended use....

I personally would prefer to transcode to a lossy format for most captured TV content that I want to store LT.
Still great quality, with space savings that aren't to be sneezed at!

Anyway, it looks like BlackMagic has answered the call with their new Intensity Shuttle that supports uncompressed capture of composite, s-video, component and hdmi up to 1080p (including 480p) all for $199. USB 3.0 Required.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Nice find, shame there'll prolly never be any decent support coming from the Linux-DVB/V4L (LinuxTV (http://www.linuxtv.org/)) project.
Devs have told me previously that all attempts to get any sort of collaboration going with BM has been met with utter disinterest.

miraged
9th May 2010, 22:19
Guess there something similiar to the hauppauge hd pvr now just with 1080p support and its from japan: http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mhd264/index.html

jalyst
10th May 2010, 05:31
Guess there something similiar to the hauppauge hd pvr now just with 1080p support and its from japan: http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mhd264/index.html

Interesting find, do you know if this device has Linux support? (prolly not)
Also FYI the HD-PVR does capture 1080p....

miraged
10th May 2010, 19:34
Since when? Last time I read the specs it was just 1080i.

jalyst
17th May 2010, 05:49
Sorry I thought you were saying 1080i.
I got my i's and p's mixed up!
Do you know if the device you linked to has Linux support?

edwinbradford
17th May 2010, 22:16
I just signed in to thank Chikuzen for the unofficial PV drivers link, thank god I'm still subscribed to this thread. I can read some Japanese but finding that site would have been tough. I've got my PV3 running in Vista 64 bit with no problems, very happy.

:thanks:

For anyone else attempting an update to the 340 driver, you have to flash your card with an official firmware update first. I guess its a bit difficult if you can't make head or tail of the Japanese instructions but if you read a little you can manage it.

Before today I tried out Ready Driver Plus and Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider tool, both work great, Ready Driver Plus felt like a sledgehammer to crack a nut fiddling with you boot procedure, I much preferred the second DSEO tool which was working fine although thanks to Chikuzen I don't even need to run that now.

What was the outcome of the new Intensity Shuttle? Did anyone find out if it specifically supports 480p because the Intensity Pro didn't. It would open up an OSX route to capture for anyone interested.

Cheers all.

Seraphic-
21st May 2010, 18:48
Could a few other people call blackmagic design and ask if the Intensity Shuttle/DeckLink HD Extreme 3D support 480p capture? I just called myself and was told even though 480p is listed in the tech specs for both cards, it is an error and not supported. Could anyone call and confirm if they tell you the same thing?

edwinbradford
22nd May 2010, 14:20
Could a few other people call blackmagic design and ask if the Intensity Shuttle/DeckLink HD Extreme 3D support 480p capture? I just called myself and was told even though 480p is listed in the tech specs for both cards, it is an error and not supported. Could anyone call and confirm if they tell you the same thing?

I just sent this message to their European branch via their Support section:

There appears to be some confusion in the video capture community over the ability of your Shuttle and Decklink products to capture 480p (progressive) signals. This signal is output from some video game consoles. One of our members has been told by your sales team that your documentation is wrong for these products and they do not support 480p capture as stated.

Can you please confirm what the facts are and I will endeavour to pass them on.

Many thanks.

Last time I sent a message they didn't reply so lets see what happens.

Cheers.

Seraphic-
22nd May 2010, 20:13
Thanks, hope they reply. When I first called and spoke to someone they said 480p works, but there is a bug and will be fixed in the future. But when I called back a week or so later I asked about the issue again and was told the tech specs are wrong and 480p is not supported. The UltraStudio Pro also lists 480p capture as well so... I don't understand why there is such confusion on the issue.

jalyst
24th May 2010, 10:15
Interesting find, do you know if this device has Linux support? (prolly not)
Also FYI the HD-PVR does capture 1080p....

For those whom also may have wanted to know...
I checked with them and they have no plans for Linux support.

edwinbradford
24th May 2010, 23:42
I have an official reply, looks hopeful:

Thank you for your email.

Our current capture products, like Intensity Pro or the Decklink cards, do
not support standard definition progressive capture, only interlace modes.

However, it is planned that our new range of products, like the Intensity
Shuttle which is not currently released, will support both interlace and
progressive versions of SD formats.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information or
assistance.

--
Regards

So it seems they would like to do it, of course, but are waiting to find out if it will be possible, clearly the product is still in development. I suggest we wait until its actually released then ask again.

Hope that clears things up.

jalyst
7th June 2010, 19:18
That warning is only for Intel chipsets because even though they say their PCI Express lanes used for USB3 and other small controllers are PCI-Express 2.0, the bandwidth throughput is that of 1.0 so the maximum the devices get is 250MB/s.
I believe x58 is the only chipset that works right and gives 512MB/s bandwidth, the one of PCI express 2.0.

Most motherboards with Intel chipsets that have USB3 nowadays have some sort of hardware chip that multiplexes the signal from USB3 with the PCI Express 2.0 lanes that go to the second pci-express slot (where the video cards go) or they combine several pci-express 1.0 lanes to give usb3 and sata3 enough bandwidth.

See this article about 6 gbps sata3 and why it sucks on Intel boards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2973/6gbps-sata-performance-amd-890gx-vs-intel-x58-p55/3 (this is page 3, see also page 2 and the rest)

AMD boards don't have this issue, all the lanes are real 2.0, 512 MB/s but I guess Blackmagic only thought of Intel boards when they said that.

I read that article when it came out, this excerpt among others....

AMDís native 6Gbps implementation manages to outperform both Marvell and Intelís controllers in the 4KB random write test by a substantial margin. AMDís sequential read speed is lower than the Marvell controller, and random read speed is lower than Intelís 3Gbps controller. With a bit of work, AMD looks like it could have the best performing SATA controller on the market.

Intelís X58 still has a few tricks left up its sleeve - it manages to be a very high performing 3Gbps SATA controller. Other than in sequential read speed, itís even faster than Marvellís 6Gbps controller with a 6Gbps SSD - although not by much.

The P55 and H55 platforms are far less exciting. Any 6Gbps controller connected off the PCH is severely limited by Intelís use of PCIe 1.0 slots. Unfortunately this means that youíll have to use the 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes branching off the CPU for any real performance. That either results in you limiting your GPU to only 8 lanes or dropping back down to PCIe 1.0 if you have two graphics cards installed. ASUSí PLX solution is an elegant workaround for the specific case of a user having two graphics cards and a 6Gbps SATA controller on-board. Our tests show that it does work well.

Indicated to me you've got nothing to worry about if you use a H55/P55 with Asus's PLX bridge/switch chip, & you're not interested in putting a top-end GPU into one of your PCIe 16x slots*.
You can merrily use your SATA3 and USB3 ports without fear of bottlenecks! :)

*& I'm not for what is essentially the base (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CadI5xNLwMYopFyJ&templete=2) for my HEPC/PVR

Dot50Cal
8th July 2010, 10:37
An un-official PV-driver to evade the problem concerning the signature has appeared in Japan.
http://2sen.dip.jp/cgi-bin/pv3/source/up0049.rar
I have been using this on win7(x64) for about three month, and there seems especially to be no problem in this.
(Though I might be lucky...)
I don’t have so much time now though it tried to translate readme.txt.
I think that I can translate perhaps if it is possible to wait for about one week...

I really hope someone has this still, the link is dead and I can't find it anywhere. Cant get my PV3 to work on win7 at all no matter what I do. If someone has this, please upload it. :thanks:

Edit: Seems like its only accessible in Japan. Could someone be so kind as to reupload it?

edwinbradford
8th July 2010, 13:19
No problemo. I'm using it at home now. It works perfectly although it was a long process for me to update my PV3. If you've already firmware upgraded your PV3 to a PV4 then it is much quicker.

Can you PM me and I'll return send you the driver tonight if I get time.

Chikuzen
8th July 2010, 14:37
@Dot50Cal
I changed the link to the file.

signal
30th July 2010, 07:03
I have the Intensity Shuttle... not very happy with it atm. As far as 480p goes there is supposed to be support for it but it is currently missing in the drivers (not just their Media Express capture app). Blackmagic claims that this is an "oops" on their part and will be addressed (hopefully) soon.

miraged
31st July 2010, 18:26
Not very happy? Just because of the 480p or are there more issues?

signal
8th October 2010, 03:14
After 3 months of owning the Intensity Shuttle and no 480p support forthcoming I'm looking for another capture device now.
It is important to note that the issue with no 480p as advertised extends to other Blackmagic products as well and has been known by them for over 6 months (pretty much false advertising at this point).

The Intensity Shuttle is somewhat quirky in how Blackmagic Design implemented it and what is more than abysmal is the "black hole" support method Blackmagic Design implements.
You can ask them some serious questions about the product but those questions will get sucked into a black hole with no responses.
When they come out with a driver update you will be lucky if a 5 word or less explanation as to what was fixed is included.

For reference I did some analysis on the HDMI capture capabilities that I reported here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323104-Intensity-Shuttle-Problem?p=2013745&viewfull=1#post2013745

Also be aware that "SuperSpeed" xHCI USB3.0 has some very specific requirements that not all motherboards can meet:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323104-Intensity-Shuttle-Problem?p=2019897&viewfull=1#post2019897

There were other issues with Color Space, Rec.601, and Rec.709 that continue to go unanswered as well.

Soooo... I'm back in the market for a card or external device that can offer uncompressed 480p - hopefully via hdmi

edwinbradford
9th October 2010, 14:09
That all sounds a bit poor. I had my eye on one long term but lack lustre support is a definite no-no. For the record I'm very happy with my Japanese Earthsoft PV3 which I've now soft-modded to a PV4, in fact its the only reason I've kept a PC and not gone to a Mac. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there's a vista signed driver available that works perfectly.

PV3/4 captures fine in 480P to a proprietary 4:2:2 colorspace codec. After reading up on the subject as much as possible (and now having seen the results) I don't need a lossless format to capture high quality from video games, 4:2:2 does an excellent job.

I'm not sure how accessible the PV is without Japanese. Google translate might do the job for you, Earthsoft have a web page showing all the menu options, if you ran that through google translate, theoretically it would work.

signal
12th October 2010, 04:26
Looks like the Earthsoft PV3 and PV4 cards are a bit more rare than they used to be. Monster X one as well.

Found this google translation for what looks like a HDMI + analog capture card in China.

With analog signal acquisition capabilities that acquisition from 480i/480P to 1080i HDTV 720P

Picture HC737 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.tpy888.cn/newp/meiruhua.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpicture%2Bhdmi%2Bhc737%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Div&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhizYtGeCKGIkzQbEfm8S-C4ayVefQ)

I'm seeing if I can get my friend in Hong Kong to dig up any more info on it.

Undead Sega
17th October 2010, 07:41
Wish we can get some new Resident Evil 1.5 gameplay footage recorded on this new capture card.

Gser
17th October 2010, 13:08
Wish we can get some new Resident Evil 1.5 gameplay footage recorded on this new capture card.

Use emulators and Fraps.

jmac698
18th October 2010, 01:43
Wow, all the solutions for this are known and even in this thread! Here is one product:
http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/specs/index.html
wait.. it does component capture, however not sure if it does 480p. In any case there is:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
Which does HD analog video capture.

Even better, there is a free solution, and I invented it. It turns out that any (SD) video card can capture 480p in component. Just try it! If it's working for your card, you will see the video as two frames side-by-side, because 480P is just about double of 480i, therefore the first line shows in the left side, and the 2nd line shows on the right side, and so on down the screen. To recreate the original 480p is just a matter of cropping the two halves and interleaving them back together. I've done this, it does work for me.
In the above description, you connected the Y (yellow) output to your SD capture card, so of course it's b/w for now, but if you have a 2nd capture card (or simply a DVR), you can also record the color, composite out at the same time, then merge the color into the b/w. Hmm, I think I'll try that myself. There's one other way to get live, HD component video, but you need 3 recording devices of some type, which can be cheap, but the HD PVR is not that much more.
Of course you can always try it in an emulator too.

Anyhow here's where I invented it 4 years ago:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108517

jalyst
18th October 2010, 08:55
Looks like the Earthsoft PV3 and PV4 cards are a bit more rare than they used to be. Monster X one as well.

Found this google translation for what looks like a HDMI + analog capture card in China.

Picture HC737 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.tpy888.cn/newp/meiruhua.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpicture%2Bhdmi%2Bhc737%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Div&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhizYtGeCKGIkzQbEfm8S-C4ayVefQ)

Cool, please let us know what you find!
I'd be even more interested if it also does 1080p & ideally, transcodes to lossy formats.

miraged
19th October 2010, 18:57

In Japan there are also the HDCAPPCIE and this one: http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20101002/ni_cdm626.html

jalyst
28th October 2010, 11:10

That link's dead now, how'd you go....
Did you end-up finding a decent digital capture (HDMI/lossless/uncompressed) which can do 480p and 1080p?

edwinbradford
28th October 2010, 12:45
I pm'd Signal some info on the P4 a couple of weeks back but he hasn't replied, I'm guessing he hasn't got his account set up to notify him of new posts.

edwinbradford
1st November 2010, 11:08
I don't suppose you could share it with everyone?No but I shared it with you, I sent you a PM too :). Its only info on where to buy the P4 and other Japan only items. I haven't checked the prices and it may not be a good deal. You also have to be determined to work out how to install, upgrade and run it in Japanese so its not for everyone. I don't broadcast it because I don't see the point of telling the world where to buy the same things I want and inadvertently bump the prices up. Having said that I'm happy to help out in this forum if its any use to members that have clearly played a part in this thread, it might not be of any use anyway.

jalyst
8th November 2010, 15:05
Thanks Edwin, I did get that PM & am most grateful for your thoughts.

ChiDragon
12th November 2010, 01:22
If people are still looking for this, the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR (Model # C027, Part # MTVHDDVRR) can do 480p60 YUY2 and other rates from 480i up to 1080i60 fairly solid in VirtualDub. I haven't tried capturing with the including app yet. Both HDMI and component work, and there is a "workaround" for HDCP...

Left screenshot is component, right is HDMI. The black line on component seems to be endemic to the setup, but I'm not sure why it's also darker. I am using the cheapest component cable I could obtain, though, so your results may vary.
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7352/ps3480pcomponent.pnghttp://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7795/ps3480phdmi.png

Unfortunately you have to disable Overlay and use Preview mode with no accelerations in VDub, and playing back audio while recording is iffy at best.

You can often find it for around $80 after $10 rebate, plus shipping. The same card is sold under a different name for a much higher price in Europe.

Schrade
13th November 2010, 10:50
I uploaded the last working drivers for the AverTV card here:

AverMedia.AverTV.HD.DVR.32.and.64.bit.Drivers.v1.12.0.22.zip

http://www.multiupload.com/LTWYFIW1WS

It includes Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 versions (basically all that were released)

I think the latest version of the drivers available from their site is v1.12.0.29. That version and everything past most likely won't allow you to record the PS3's HDCP protected signal.

miraged
7th January 2011, 00:07
Btw, anyone saw this: http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/406/536/html/sk1.jpg.html :D?

miraged
10th January 2011, 17:56
1080p/60 capturing is pretty nice, dont know a single consumer card that offers this.

jalyst
17th January 2011, 17:49
ah... i see, good point! :)

can it capture digi/HDCP content?
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/406/536/html/sk1.jpg.html

miraged
19th January 2011, 20:52
can it capture digi/HDCP content?

I think there is barely anything known about the card yet, it was just on display at a exhibition last year. We probably have to wait a little longer for more details to surface.

signal
25th February 2011, 08:18
So how did you go, did you end-up finding anything? Thanks/cheers!

Sorry Folks - I had shelved this project for the past few months to concentrate on a few others that had backed up.

In regards to the HC737 - the drivers are claimed to be in English and I finally managed to get a copy of them to do some snooping.

480p support wasn't obvious.
It uses a pci vendor id of 0x1A0A - Trident Microsystems (Far East) Ltd.
It has both x86 and x64 drivers.
Comes with a capture application "HD Cap v2.0.0.1 (c) China Geniatech Inc. Ltd." and is in English.
The card goes for about $220 which isn't exactly cheap.

I was about to take a gamble on it when I decided to check the last Intensity Shuttle driver update 7.9.4 Dec 21, 2010.

Unceremoniously is the entry "Support for 480p/60 capture with Media Express 2.3 with Intensity Shuttle and UltraStudio Pro" in the release notes. :eek:

Sooooo.. I'm trying that out right now!

signal
25th February 2011, 10:21
Well.. hmm.. something isn't right.

Right off the bat through hdmi captures 720x486 (not 480p).
There is also some heavy pixelation going on.

I'll try some more tests this weekend but bottom line, right now this looks like cr*p.

Are you folks trying to capture a Wii or something else?

jalyst
27th February 2011, 10:43
Audio Capture
Line In, Monitor Out6

* Stereo at 24bit 48kHz

HDMI Input

* LPCM 2-8ch at 24bit 32/44.1/48kHz

Although multichannel recording is a great feature, it seems to can't capture uncompressed.
Can only capture with what seems to be a proprietary format.

Does anyone know of a more modern HDMI capture card that can do multich "HD audio" like this?
Something that doesn't cost much more than a few hundred $ ideally! :confused:

jalyst
27th February 2011, 19:20
I think there is barely anything known about the card yet, it was just on display at a exhibition last year. We probably have to wait a little longer for more details to surface.

@miraged

The one you were talking about (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1470023#post1470023) is in this sub-section
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/index_vid.html&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhjIq3SgsFiP5uCSvwMoX1dr9tQ4Aw

It's actually called the X2 not XX, & it only does 1080i/60 not 1080p/60
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mvx2/specification.html&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhjRJBCktRYJ9BvrmisYBf0pqgeXbw

And then there's the Monster X3 that does 1080p/24 video
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mvx3/index.html&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhgsQt_dGlSnUYle7NjErlM4UgpoPA

Alas both still only do 2ch LPCM, why the frack do they limit audio like that!

PV4's no good too as it only does 16bit 2ch PCM 48kHz, & it's an analogue-only capture device anyway
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://earthsoft.jp/PV/specification.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpv4%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DHqj%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Div&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhgfjm2umj3vGgJJgZ_viiSifxdn9A

ChiDragon
28th February 2011, 00:25
@miraged

The one you were talking about (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1470023#post1470023) is here
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/index_vid.html&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhjIq3SgsFiP5uCSvwMoX1dr9tQ4Aw

Wrong link? I don't see the MonsterXX there.

ChiDragon
1st March 2011, 05:49
No, the X2 has been out for some time and has HDMI + D-Terminal. The XX is a new card with HDMI + component that is supposed to do 1080p60.

Ghitulescu
2nd March 2011, 11:04
Not weird at all, capturing audio is not one of the primary tasks for a video capturing card.

jalyst
3rd March 2011, 15:23
I wasn't saying it's weird that it's audio capture abilities aren't mentioned.
I was saying it's weird that it's not on their site at all....

miraged
4th March 2011, 19:29
weird, not mentioned on their site anywhere, what's it's audio capture abilities?

Its probably (far?) from production yet, so that's why it's not on site yet. Still looking out for this.

jalyst
4th March 2011, 19:37
Its probably (far?) from production yet, so that's why it's not on site yet. Still looking out for this.

I hope it's audio capture is better than 2ch PCM...
If you come across it & you remember, can you please share it in this thread?
I'm probably going ahead with another solution in the meantime.

jalyst
11th April 2011, 18:20
Miraged have you heard any more about the the XX?
I'm emailing the company now to find out what happened to it
I hope to god it's audio capture is 8-ch LPCM...

This card seems to suggest it supports AC3/DTS over HDMI.
http://www.digitalnow.com.au/CaptureX_HDMI.htm
But it's not clear whether it's "HD" DD/DTS, or just regular 5.1.
I suspect it'll only be 2-ch PCM & hence just regular DD/DTS.
I will email them too...

jmac698
15th April 2011, 20:32
Just to mention, Hauppage Collosus
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4273/hauppauge-colossus-hd-pvr-with-hdmi-support

miraged
16th April 2011, 13:06
Miraged? ^ Thanks!

No I haven't but I am also not actively looking for it.

However I checked 2ch today and saw another card: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110401_436648.html

Way too many of them in Japan ...

jalyst
19th April 2011, 10:31
No I haven't but I am also not actively looking for it.
However I checked 2ch today and saw another card: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110401_436648.html
Way too many of them in Japan ...

Yeah it blows that they get all the toys!
Gtranslate sux, I don't suppose you speak Japanese? :)

An update on my earlier post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1491617#post1491617)...

I emailed SKnet about the MonsterXX they responded briefly:

We plan to release a goods after few months .
Now we are final stage to go into mass production.

But they still haven't answered all my questions yet.

SkyHD confirmed their card is only DD/DTS 5.1 2ch PCM.
But even that is pretty unique for a HDMI capture card.
(colossus also will support DTS soon apparently)

miraged
19th April 2011, 19:10
Oh wow, they actually bothered to reply to you? Seeing that post it will probably take another 3-6 months until we see something. Still interested in that card!

Colossus doesnt look all that hot to me, I suppose I would rather wait 1-2 years until that thing isn't beta anymore.

jalyst
19th April 2011, 20:09
Oh wow, they actually bothered to reply to you? Seeing that post it will probably take another 3-6 months until we see something. Still interested in that card!

Colossus doesnt look all that hot to me, I suppose I would rather wait 1-2 years until that thing isn't beta anymore.

Yeah well sknet didn't give me any useful info & now they're just ignoring my frackin emails.
Same for some other OEM's.....
Re the CaptureX, I got the info i needed from skydigital, but only via a intermediary that I don't trust.
Why are so many of these OEM's so useless at responding to emails, sooo frackin annoying!
I'm going to call a bunch of them via Google voice tomorrow...

jalyst
20th April 2011, 14:47
Google voice works beautifully w00t!
Got through to Hauppauge in Singapore, & SKNet in Japan successfully.
Skydigital & others here I come, no longer shall you ignore me!

miraged
20th April 2011, 17:26
Hehe, did you get anything out of your conversatons ?

jalyst
20th April 2011, 17:28
More detail to come in 24hrs hopefully.
Few more google voice calls to attempt :)

miraged
15th May 2011, 20:34
So any news ;)?

jalyst
15th May 2011, 21:44
Waaay down the prioriity list again...
As i recall i didn't get anywhere with skydgital as the guy couldn't understand a word.
Sknet (japan) had someone who could speak English.
But he still couldn't tell my any more and said to try again in about a mth.
I will pick it all up again in a few weeks or maybe never if i'm happy with my final build.

beluga
5th October 2011, 12:27
Hi guys,

MonsterXX is already out. Please check out the website at
http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mvxx/index.html

jalyst
5th October 2011, 14:34
Thanks mate, I really need to pick this up again ASAP!!!!

miraged
8th October 2011, 15:49
Yep for a while now. However they removed all the component inputs they had on the earlier shown sample which is very unfortunate ...

jalyst
8th October 2011, 16:45
bummer :(

beluga
13th October 2011, 08:27
Hmmm.... is HD component still popular nowadays? What is the advantage over HDMI?

miraged
13th October 2011, 20:21
Well I have tons of console to capture from, since I started capturing years ago all my setup is focused on component (and I was really looking forward to this card). As for changing to hdmi (not even mentioning all the extra costs), need to get rid of hdcp ....

ChiDragon
17th October 2011, 00:01
Wow only one port and they still didn't make it a low-profile card. Lowest price I see equals $500 USD without shipping/customs, ouch. Wonder how many they have managed to sell...

jmac698
19th October 2011, 16:10
Some screenshots from MonsterX
http://amamaman.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/amarectv_e.htm
Maybe you can ask your questions to the author who apparently owns this card.

I'm just wondering, I've seen a few people trying to record console output - why do you do this? And why do you need such high quality?

miraged
20th October 2011, 21:42
Quality junkies :)?

Also here some MonsterXX stuff: http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkarinto2.mine.nu%2Fblog%2Fkuni%2F2011%2F09%2F-monsterxx-2.html

qsdom9
25th October 2011, 11:38
I tried to search for you with 1080p, the combination is very difficult to find out.

Seraphic-
22nd November 2011, 01:26
I have one of those CaptureX cards that I purchased for AC3 capture, but it doesn't allow for audio only capture which is what I wanted it for. So I might be looking to sell if anyone is interested. It does 480p/720p/1080i/1080p24 v.i HDMI and up to 1080i v.i breakout cable component. Also does SPDIF/HDMI capture of AC3/DTS 5.1 or normal stereo v.i RCA. Also says it supports Stereo 3D, but I can't seem to get it to work with Xbox 360 but might have to due with the fact my monitor is not 3D (also comes with a pair of 3D glasses). I also noticed that HDCP input is allowed to be viewed (no matter what), but you can't capture from PS3, Xbox360 HDCP capture seems to work though. However, using a screen capture program might allow you to record the digital input from PS3.

jmac698
22nd November 2011, 04:27
You can capture AC3 by recording SPDIF as WAV through normal audio card (soundblaster etc.) and using a utility to remove the wav wrapping. As for HDMI/ac3, just take the spdif output from the tv or receiver (derived from HDMI input).
Of course, you can't get e-ac3 this way, too high bitrate, I believe.

Hmm, I just had a thought, you could probably get high bitrate e-ac3 by deriving from two recordings of downmixed LPCM...
Update, seems like you could get some extra info to separate the two surrounds this way. Something like the difference between l/r surround.

Seraphic-
22nd November 2011, 12:28
Yes, I have one of the sound cards you speak of. But the process to do it is kind of a hassle, though, maybe the process has changed since the last time I tried. If I can get it to work again, I will sell that CaptureX card for sure as I won't need it.

As for E-AC-3, does a normal optical cable support that bandwidth? I don't think Xbox 360 does anything other then normal AC-3 @ 640kbps.

Edit: This page has some nice info about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus

jmac698
22nd November 2011, 14:31
You could theoretically send an e-ac3 encoded stream over spdif, but no device does this. The best system for spdif is either pcm or DTS 1.5Mb/s. I have a setting for dts 24/96 on my receiver which only has spdif input so that must be an option.

What I was talking about was an idea where you output pcm stereo derived from some high quality surround format, downmixed to DPL, then output it again downmixed to DPL-II. I think you could combine them and get a slightly better upmix again. But this is pointless because the compressed ac3 would be better anyhow.

Anyhow, capturing audio is easy with a dedicated app, ddrec or ac3rec
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1121367&page=5

Also a way to use ac3filter.
Can do it on linux too.

jalyst
28th November 2011, 10:17
@Seraphic- & jmac698

Very interesting chat lads, all stuff I'm very interested in!
One of these days I'll find the time to get back to it, sigh.

Seraphic- if you still have the CaptureX in a mth, I may be interested in buying.
IIRC it was on my short-list of cards that I'm interested in.

ChiDragon
2nd December 2011, 01:44
Out of curiosity, anyone found 1080p60 HDMI cards besides MonsterXX and the BlackMagic devices? I came across a Taiwanese company called YUAN High-Tech that offers multi-video-channel cards marketed for "surveillance" purposes with various options of HDMI and SDI inputs up to 1080p60 (ex: SC510 N1 (http://www.yuan.com.tw/en/products/surveillance/surveillance_products1_1_spec_sc510.htm#sc510)), but can't find any retailer that sells these or an indication of the price. I did see one site offering the lesser SC500 at an expected insane price (equal to $735 USD before any shipping).

Asmodian
3rd December 2011, 00:13
I don't think the BlackMagic cards do 1080p60. I know the Infinity Pro tops out at 1080i60.

Seraphic-
3rd December 2011, 11:38
Seraphic- if you still have the CaptureX in a mth, I may be interested in buying.
IIRC it was on my short-list of cards that I'm interested in.

I am ready to sell it now and will be posting it for sale on other forums too. By the way, I have the newer 1080p24 version of the card. Card does 480p/720p/1080i/1080p24 v.i HDMI and up to 1080i v.i breakout cable component. Also does SPDIF/HDMI capture of AC3/DTS 5.1 or normal stereo v.i RCA (also comes with English software). If you are interested (or if anyone is interested), send me a PM and we can work out the details.

(here is a photo)
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7163/20111204051927114.jpg

http://www.skyok.co.jp/product.php?code=610

Listed CaptureX on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290649960958