PDA

View Full Version : Buy Sealand

sillKotscha
12th January 2007, 17:38
[...] we want to buy Sealand.

It should be a great place for everybody, with high-speed Internets access, no copyright laws and vip accounts to The Pirate Bay.

source: http://buysealand.com/

this is genuine modern piracy :D

ChronoCross
12th January 2007, 18:24
Even if they do buy it what ISP is going to give them fiber? Especially when they know that it will be used for piracy. It's just a cheap way for some people to make some cash.

Shinigami-Sama
13th January 2007, 21:14
Even if they do buy it what ISP is going to give them fiber? Especially when they know that it will be used for piracy. It's just a cheap way for some people to make some cash.

I have to agree
we were talking about that in our Virtualization class on friday. Pretty much the only way it would work we could come up with was bridging from the fort to the mainland - even then we didn't think that would work to well.

Syris2k4
13th January 2007, 22:20
Errr Sealand has a massive cabled connection already... http://www.havenco.com/ - they are the ones selling it after a fire killed their corporate image :)

Secure backups on a burning gunnery platform - sounds safe? :D

Zarxrax
13th January 2007, 23:03
The main problem with Sealand is that it is not recognized as a country by any government, so they can't just make their own laws and have rampant copyright infringement.

I love the idea of having a country run by people who want freedom from copyright, but it just wont be happening in this case :\

zambelli
14th January 2007, 01:43
The main problem with Sealand is that it is not recognized as a country by any government, so they can't just make their own laws and have rampant copyright infringement.
Indeed. Plus, the guy established the "country" by claiming something nobody else wanted. Though the UK courts upheld his claim by pointing out that the "island" was outside of British waters, I really doubt he can take that any further and claim it internationally. The British government was probably going, "You want to live on a platform in an ocean? Help yourself." I'm not really sure what gives him the right to sell it, since it's questionable whether he actually owns it. It's a fascinating story, but the joke will end when the British company that built the rig simply decides to demolish it.

check
14th January 2007, 03:46
Computers on an open sea platform? You must be dreaming :P. Any computers you keep in that salty air will turn into rusty mush after a few years. Even here, a few hundred meters from the beach I have similar problems with random components failing.

Syris2k4
14th January 2007, 12:20
Errr, as with most data centers... you dehumidify and pressurise the storage, also inert gasses are used for fire protection/corrosion protection etc, also stops the corrosive effects :)

However, living in good ol Africa, on the eastern half of the country there are often times when you see exactly what that lovely sea breeze does to a PC. The sight of a nice expensive PSU, encrusted in slowly oxidising metal... sexy :D

Amir
14th January 2007, 12:34
I don't think its an independent country. It is outside the 3km boundtry from the UK, but not too long ago the UK extended it teritorial waters to 12km (includes seaworld).

Also the data centre almost alludes the no-law hosting but I doubt they could start and keep their connection for too long if they were flooded with such customers. Its interesting that you can co-locate your server there though, bit pricey though.

Sharktooth
15th January 2007, 03:27
They can always use internet connection thru satellites.
But the real problem is the copyright laws...

zambelli
15th January 2007, 04:17
I really hope PirateBay is not serious about this. It's such a joke and waste of everyone's time, not to mention money.

kumi
16th January 2007, 12:12
They obviously aren't going to be able to raise the 8-figure fee... so this smells like a scam to me. Are they going to return all of the donations when they fail to reach the goal? I doubt it.

zilog jones
16th January 2007, 23:48
If this happens, I'll buy a hat and eat it.