PDA

View Full Version : .ASS subs in .mkv - formatting probs in VLC

AfroDuck
29th December 2006, 21:43
Hi, I have 7 .mkv files, same creator, same series, same codec, etc..
Now the first 3 files seemed ok at first, but in the other 4 the subs were blurred. So i started to look into this and came across some nice programs. I fixed the blurry problem today (res in sub files was wrong) but using the other programs, on the way, i learned that the subs are supposed to have a colored outline, different for every character. This isn't happening in VLC. Also, at some points (when multiple things are being said at once, etc) the subs are overlapping, at first i thought it was the subber's fault, but going through the sub files, those subs are supposed to be split up, part to top of the screen, part on the bottom. (i have this with some other files too)
The way i noticed this is: i extracted the subs with MKVExtractGUI and then opened the extracted .ass files with AegiSub, chose video>open video and opened the original video, then watching like that, the subs were colored and split up (top/bottom - when they had to of course))
So, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the sub files. Is this a VLC problem and is there a fix for it? Anyone can help me here?

Also - normal formatting doesn't show in VLC, while it does in AegiSub (italic, bold, different font) actually, there is no formatting at all applied.

mahsah
30th December 2006, 05:23
I am fairly sure that VLC doesn't have proper ASS support... try http://www.cccp-project.net/

Milvus
30th December 2006, 13:41
Yes, soft-subs support in VLC is quite crappy : no styles, no anti-collision...

The best solution indeed is to use a DirectShow player with VSFilter, and CCCP is a good solution for an easy setup of this. Once installed, both MPC and ZoomPlayer will render perfectly the subs.

On other platforms, the only solution is to use MPlayer who has an incomplete, but still quite advanced SSA/ASS support.

AfroDuck
30th December 2006, 23:42
Oh, ok, thx guys :cool: