PDA

View Full Version : Creating MP4s for Video iPod

crotjoe
8th December 2006, 04:49
I got one of the new video iPods a couple weeks ago, and I can't get any of my MP4s to play on it (or in iTunes). The process I'm using is decrypting the DVD (DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0) and saving it as an .iso file. I then use DVD Shrink 3.2 to get the VIDEO_TS folder. Finally, I use Nero Recode 2 (in Nero 7 Ultra Edition) to create an MP4. When I open it in Windows Media Player, it looks great. When I open it in iTunes (or QuickTime or my iPod), I get this flickering purple and green screen with vague glimpses of either a frame of the movie or some QuickTime logo.

I then downloaded an evaluation version of Cucusoft's "iPod Video Converter Suite", since it claimed to be able to convert directly from a DVD to an MP4 for an iPod. I also downloaded Lenogo Software's "Super DVD to iPod Converter". But I get the same thing when I play it with QuickTime.

Are there special settings I need for an iPod MP4? I saw something in Nero's online guide about needing square pixels for QuickTime, but that setting was already checked.

Thanks for any and all help...

Adub
8th December 2006, 16:53
what version of the ipod video are you using? 5th gen or 5.5 gen? Have you updated you itunes recently and hotsinked your ipod?

Also, you can use the recommended program on these forums, MeGUI. If you update the profiles via the autoupdate feature, sharktooth has a profile for encoding H.264 video to both versions of the video ipod, 5 and 5.5.

Note: 5.5 is really just a firmware update for most video ipods. so update itunes and hotsink you ipod.

Pookie
8th December 2006, 19:47
I've seen the purple and green problem, but it works fine when it is transferred to the iPod. BTW, the only working configuration for me was using x264, aacenc, and Nic's Mp4box. 640x352, 800kbs, 80K audio.

superfall
9th December 2006, 15:30
as i know,there are many useful tools which can convert directly from a DVD to an MP4 for an iPod,such as imtoo dvd to ipod converter.

crotjoe
11th December 2006, 05:07
Just wanted to mention that I wasn't using the latest version of Nero, but my QuickTime was up to date. The Nero Recode that I just got has explicit options for the iPod, but since it wasn't running in QuickTime on my PC, I didn't bother putting it on my iPod. I'll try that next, and if that doesn't work, I'll look into the imtoo or MeGUI software (though I looked into MeGUI very briefly and it said the help wasn't very good until all the features are worked out, so that made me nervous).

Thanks for all the suggestions!

simonhowson
11th December 2006, 08:28
I've had no problems using MeGui to create iPod 5.5 compatible MP4 files.

Note I create 640 wide videos, with a target bitrate of 1000 Kbps for video, and 100 Kbps for the audio. (this means a 100 minute film will require about 800 MB).

My aim is to create videos that look good when viewed on a TV. This is the command line I use:
C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe --pass 2 --bitrate 1000 --stats ".stats" --level 3 --no-cabac --subme 6 --analyse none --qpmin 16 --vbv-maxrate 1500 --me umh --merange 12 --threads 2 --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --output "" ""

Note: Change "--threads 2" to --threads 1" if you DON'T have a dual core CPU.

To mux the video with the audio I use NicMP4Box, download from here: http://nic.dnsalias.com/ iTunes won't accept MP4 files created with some regular muxers, the MP4 file must be created properly so that it can be sent to an iPod.

giandrea
11th December 2006, 15:54
I've had no problems using MeGui to create iPod 5.5 compatible MP4 files.

Note I create 640 wide videos, with a target bitrate of 1000 Kbps for video, and 100 Kbps for the audio. (this means a 100 minute film will require about 800 MB).

My aim is to create videos that look good when viewed on a TV. This is the command line I use:

Note: Change "--threads 2" to --threads 1" if you DON'T have a dual core CPU.

To mux the video with the audio I use NicMP4Box, download from here: http://nic.dnsalias.com/ iTunes won't accept MP4 files created with some regular muxers, the MP4 file must be created properly so that it can be sent to an iPod.

Isn't there an ipod switch in the svn version of MP4Box that you can use instead of NicMP4Box?

crotjoe
11th December 2006, 21:25
Again, I appreciate all the input. I just wanted to let you know that Pookie's comment was appropriate. I transferred the files I created with Nero Recode onto my iPod, and it worked great (even though it didn't in QuickTime on my PC).

Thanks!

tomb2
26th December 2006, 04:11
Needed to include the video iPod for my feature film compressions and man is this cross-platform-crap a nightmare! I just spent a while getting a 100 minute feature down to 24p QVGA (what I use to master for PC mobile vids). The first thing I found is that QuicktimePro could only read the first 24 minutes of the 30GB uncompressed file and then the video went white (ran out of buffer?). So I cut the AVI file size down with Indeo 5 and then Huffy 2 - but QTPro on a PC couldn't read these PC codecs. So...I am stuck with 30GBs of uncompressed video and audio, and no way to compress to an iPod usable 400Kbs QVGAx24fps mov or mp4 file. BTW- it looks like you can't use h.264 with the latest software. After you have compressed with this, iTunes will recompress the file before it can go to the iPod - doubling its size so you can watch it on tv. But who spends $400 on a handheld player to use it as a $50 NTSC mobile DVD player and then walks around with the video out cable? Am I missing something? Also, I am concerned about not being able to use my tight and clean 350Mb compression vs. the iTunes sloppy 900Mb recompression of my compression.

Since more and more people are using video iPods, it would seem that having a sane way of processing films with tools we have used for years for iPaqs, PMPs and phones and then being able to port them to iPods would be a good thing. The beginning of a cross-platform codec was mentioned on another thread - any one here have any ideas? Bond?

chipzoller
26th December 2006, 07:04
@simonhowson

The Yamb GUI for MP4Box also creates perfectly acceptable files for iTunes