PDA

View Full Version : Lossless Subtitle playback @ ipod 6G

Phobos
28th November 2006, 06:30
Hey dudes... maybe its been asked a thousand times but a search through the forums showed no results.

Is there a way to play subtitles in my ipod 6G with a plugin or so? or with .txt quicktime subtitles?

Anyway will do, i just would want to avoid the time, hassle and quality loss it would take to hard-code them recompressing the movie.

It's simple, I got a cheap ipod 6G myself and if there's no way to do it ill just sell it while its new.

Thnx in advance

mahsah
14th December 2006, 17:43
Depends on how much the iPod implements the mpeg 4 spec. You could try converting subtitles to Mp4 Timed text with GPAC (YAMB maybe?) and muxing those with it. However, I don't know if iPods correctly display them...

Phobos
14th December 2006, 18:07
sounds good, where did you get this info? I searched all over the web and read nothing like this. I really dont have any hopes of this working because that would be a very useful feature for us foreigners. It SHOULD be very popular already

Anyhow, I sold my ipod with a small profit while it was new... but i can get another one if anybody is willing to verify this for me.

Anyone?

acrespo
14th December 2006, 18:31
iPod don't support subtitles in the container. You need a software that can hardcode the subtitle during convertion.
Some software that can do this:
Slysoft CloneDVD Mobile
DVD Fab Platinum
GoldfishHD DVD to iPod converter
Aved DVD to iPod Converter
Cucusoft iPod Suite

or try VobSub idx/sub subtitles loading in a avisynth script. AutoGK does this method.

Phobos
14th December 2006, 18:53
yeah, thats the must work option... but speaking in a hardcore video forum like this, recoding the movie using this kind of lossy formats is unacceptable. Not to mention it would take ages compared to a "mux only" option.

Guess ipod 6g doesn't cut it for me yet, glad i sold it.

thnx a lot

ilovejedd
14th December 2006, 19:04
There's a 6G iPod already? I thought the last one was 5.5G...

Anyhow, nope, no soft subtitle support in the current release of the iPod. It's just a simple firmware update, though, so hopefully Apple will add that option in the future.