PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Banding

volswagn
4th October 2006, 06:49
I was wondering if anyone knew what causes these vertical bands when capturing? I've done a search and didn't turn up anything. Sorry for the hi-res photo, but anything less didn't really show the bands.

http://www.cattatonic.com/stripes.png

My equipment:
Pioneer CLD-E2000 LaserDisc player
Canopus ADVC-100

I believe I'm using a high-quality shielded video cable. Not sure of the brand, but it's very thick (1/8"-1/4" thick) and has gold-colored contacts.

Thanks!

Blue_MiSfit
4th October 2006, 09:09
Probably the laserdisc player. Unless that's a really high end player.

From what I understand the more basic players have pretty bad image quality and have artifacts like that when you digitize. From what I understand it's better to use a composite cable when capturing because using s-video means the player's comb filter is active, which is usually inferior to your capture card's.

Don't take my word for it though, I've only seen 1 laserdisc in my life - Man Bites Dog (great movie)... :)

Looks like you are trying to digitize the LD prints of star wars..

The X0 project is trying to do the same thing, but with a really really good LD player and some heavy duty filtering. Good stuff.

http://www.x0project.com/welcome.php

~MiSfit

volswagn
4th October 2006, 14:43
Probably the laserdisc player. Unless that's a really high end player.
It's one of the "educational" units. Has lots of features, so I thought it was a good player. I had a higher-end one years ago and noticed the same kind of banding. It only has composite out, and I didn't know that LD players had S-video.

Looks like you are trying to digitize the LD prints of star wars..

Actually, I just used that frame because it was a good example. My "main project" is capping and cleaning "Song of the South" into a nice DVD for my dad for a birthday present (he's been waiting for it to come out on DVD -- not likely to happen anytime soon).

The bands aren't really noticeable on SotS, so it's all good. I was just wondering when it comes to capping some of my other discs if there was any way around the banding.