PDA

View Full Version : 176min (Pearl Harbor) 1cd rip??

mustaneekeri
19th December 2001, 22:35
First of all im using 99min (870mb) CD-Rs.
Should i even try to make it 1CD, or should i go for my first 2cd rip?
Any suggestions about resize/filter/audio/etc. for 1cd rip?
And DivX 3.xx is not an option :)

TelemachusMH
20th December 2001, 00:15
If you really want to put the movie on 1 cd I'm sure that it could be done, however you would have to probably half the resolution to do it. Personally I think that you should go with a to cd rip. (I might even do three to make sure that I have great quality) I look at it this way, cds are cheap, and the moive is good.

I imagine that you are already using 2-pass 4.11 encoding so stick with it, and you should have good quality.

dvdpunk81
20th December 2001, 01:01
Hey mustaneekeri, can those 99min/870MB cdrs really hold a 870 MB file or is it really a little bit less?

I'm going to order some, but want to know what I should use as a cutoff value for file size. That way I can start encoding for that size now.

pale
20th December 2001, 07:15
to dvdpunk81:

At leat the ones I do can (depends on the burner you have though). Unfortunately they seam to be quite errorprone if I burn them that full. Up to ~840 MB they work well, but beyond that I start to get errors. This is propably the fault of the discs I have.

mwillberg
20th December 2001, 10:17
I don't see the point in using 99min CDs for your own rips. Every place that I have seen these oversize CDs on has charged a lot more for them. It's usually cheaper to go with 2x80min, and that also fits a lot more of data => better quality.

Come on, 176min on 1CD, get real. If you want any kind of quality you should use at least 2CD. If I did Pearl Harbor I would use 3CD, preferably with 5.1 audio...

But, some people don't appreciate quality.

pale
20th December 2001, 10:39
to mwillberg:

>>I don't see the point in using 99min CDs for your own rips. Every place that I have seen these oversize CDs on has charged a lot more for them. It's usually cheaper to go with 2x80min, and that also fits a lot more of data => better quality.

As for prices, depends where you get them.

And for quality: 1*99min enables better quality than 1*80min. 2*80min obviously enables more quality than 1*99min. But there's also option of going 2*99min, which again enables better quality.

dvdpunk81
20th December 2001, 12:57
Originally posted by mwillberg
But, some people don't appreciate quality.

Well, if you really appreciated quality you'd just buy the DVD. :D (See my sig...)

Although, having a version of the movie that fits on a single CD can make things more convenient.

ChristianHJW
20th December 2001, 14:22
... just finished a nice 2 CD rip of this movie at 640 * 256 ( PAL ) DivX 4.11 2 Pass VBR including Lame VBR MP3 ( q 2 ). I wouldnt go for 1 CD here, even not a 99 min CD ...

pale
20th December 2001, 14:42
>> ... just finished a nice 2 CD rip of this movie at 640 * 256 ( PAL ) DivX 4.11 2 Pass VBR including Lame VBR MP3 ( q 2 ). I wouldnt go for 1 CD here, even not a 99 min CD ...

I agree wholehartedly. With na movie this long, definitely go for 2 cd's. My suggestion is to go for 2*99min with ac3 audio.

mwillberg
20th December 2001, 15:42
As for prices, depends where you get them.

Yes, that's true of course. Since I learned from an earlier post (and by looking at his nick) that mustaneekeri is from Finland, I assumed that he buys his CDs here. So my comment was more intended for him.

And for quality: 1*99min enables better quality than 1*80min. 2*80min obviously enables more quality than 1*99min. But there's also option of going 2*99min, which again enables better quality.

Also true, but I think you should take into account the (insert your local currency here)/MB. If it is cheaper (which I believe is the case in Finland) to buy two 80min CDs than one 99min I don't see the point in using 1x99.

Well, if you really appreciated quality you'd just buy the DVD. (See my sig...)

Ok, yes it's nice to own some DVDs, but with a high enough bitrate it is possible to get a close-to-perfect-copy of it. I believe this is worth the extra CD. But again, this is my personal opinion, I know that most people don't share it. FYI, I haven't done a 1CD-rip in a long time... Only 2-3CD, mostly with 5.1-sound.

mustaneekeri
20th December 2001, 16:58
Thanks for the replys. Up to this point i have been using only one 99min CD/movie, for more than one reasons: U don't have to get off the couch to change CD or fiddle with playlists, it is cheaper to have one 99min disk than two 74 or 80min (mwillberg: 5,16 finnish marks/99minCD and two 80 minuters are about 8-9marks), because in this family there are few somewhat technically retarded ppl its easier for them to handle 1CD and because i include autorun function, they need only turn the computer and TV on and insert the disk in drive and they are set. Im using TV to watch the movies and sofar im happy with quality (did Mummy Returns 2hrs 4min and i really can't tell differense from DVD unless i look really hard)

In this case however i believe u guys and i don't try to fit this on one CD, i'll use two 80min CDs, And if someone else needs to watch this movie they just have to ask me to set it up for them :)

dvdbunk81: Max filesize for 99min CDs is very slightly less than 870mb. Acording to my calclulations 99min of audio equals to 869,5434212932538884787504160043Mb (minus 380kt for filesystem)
U have to make sure u own 99min capable burner tough and thers not so many on the market today.

pale: Im using LG GCE-8160b burner which can burn up to 99min errorfree at 8x speed, but there certainly are error problems in most other 99min capable drives unless u use lowest possible burn speed 1x or 2x

MaTTeR
20th December 2001, 20:12
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
... just finished a nice 2 CD rip of this movie at 640 * 256 ( PAL ) DivX 4.11 2 Pass VBR including Lame VBR MP3 ( q 2 ). I wouldnt go for 1 CD here, even not a 99 min CD ...

I have to agree with you man. I'd go for 2 80min CDs with the AC3 track. That would make a nice rip indeed.

sarahjh69
20th December 2001, 20:50
most peeps have 2 cd players!
do 2 x 80min cd rips put part 1 in first player
put part 2 in second player.
make a playlist on your desktop that has a file
movie.avi (from the first player)
movie.avi (from the second player)
run the xxx.asx file from your desktop and it play
both parts of the movie for every 2 cd rip you insert.
(as long as u call all avis u make movie.avi)
I'm using zoomplayer as the default player for .asx files
and it works a treat on my computer (4 seconds of black between
cd1 and cd2 but i can live with that.)

brown1978
20th December 2001, 23:09
I am thinking about doing pearl harbor in 2 cd's, how do I add the AC3 audio to the AVI after I am done encoding the video. I am using Gknot.

PhAtfiSh
21st December 2001, 03:32
use DVD2AVI to get the AC3, then in nandub select your ac3 track in the audio setting, remeber to put in the delay if there is any, and encode.

Or encode without any audio and add the AC3 in after, simple

pale
21st December 2001, 13:59
to mustaneekeri:

Warning: this post has little to do with original topic, sorry about that;-(

>>Im using LG GCE-8160b burner which can burn up to 99min errorfree at 8x speed, but there certainly are error problems in most other 99min capable drives unless u use lowest possible burn speed 1x or 2x

I have the same burner. Which discs are you using?

If I burn them up to 870 MB, sometimes the burn does not succeed (maybe 1 out of 10 or so). Also compatibility with other computers is worse and sometimes the avi itself works fine but MicroDVD ini does not (although the ini is fine and works from HD). I tried several writing speeds with no difference in this respect, so at the moment I don't burn them over 840 MB and use 16x speed without problems. I suppose the problem is the discs I have used (Infinity Compax), as their quality does not convince me, although this is based on visual inspection, thus having no backing whatsoever.

mustaneekeri
21st December 2001, 18:57
Originally posted by pale
to mustaneekeri:

Warning: this post has little to do with original topic, sorry about that;-(

>>Im using LG GCE-8160b burner which can burn up to 99min errorfree at 8x speed, but there certainly are error problems in most other 99min capable drives unless u use lowest possible burn speed 1x or 2x

I have the same burner. Which discs are you using?

If I burn them up to 870 MB, sometimes the burn does not succeed (maybe 1 out of 10 or so). Also compatibility with other computers is worse and sometimes the avi itself works fine but MicroDVD ini does not (although the ini is fine and works from HD). I tried several writing speeds with no difference in this respect, so at the moment I don't burn them over 840 MB and use 16x speed without problems. I suppose the problem is the discs I have used (Infinity Compax), as their quality does not convince me, although this is based on visual inspection, thus having no backing whatsoever.

Lol. Im also using Infinity Compax disks and they propably aren't highest quality, but thers no problem burning them upto 99min for me. However i have found out that LG itself cannot READ 99min disks wery well. Infact thers problems after the 95min mark (propably equals to 840mb) when using LG as a reader. Often it cannot read the end of the .AVI file and few smaller files also seem end up corrupt. Infact they are NOT corrupt since my Lite-On 1648 DVD drive can read 99min disks just fine and play also the smaller autorun files etc. that i have included in the disk. I have also few other cheaper CD-ROM drives and they can't read 99min either, but Lite-On works like a charm.

mwillberg
21st December 2001, 20:01
Ok, another reason not to use 99min CDs? What if your Lite-On breaks and you end up buy a drive that doesn't read them? Ooops, a lot of movies that you can't watch anymore...

I would never use discs that not even the burner itself can read...

mustaneekeri
21st December 2001, 21:20
Well the Lite-On is a brand new drive and has one year guarantee so no worries in any time soon. But after that if worst happens i have to just read few reviews and see what drives support 99min disks.

But if u want to lend ur movies to your friends then thers no point using 99min cds because they most likely don't own 99min capable reader.

I have found them useful tough and u can't talk me out of using them :)