PDA

View Full Version : Random Positioning Error

RoK
26th September 2006, 09:27
Hi

I've been having some problems lately with DVD Decrypter. I keep getting responses like: "Random Positioning Error" or "Unrecovered Read Error".

Now as far as I know the disks I'm trying to backup aren't damaged or dirty. They play perfectly fine on my PC. I know if a disk has a burn error one usually gets an "Unrecovered Read Error" but then these type of disks give problems when one tries to play them, but these disks lately play fine but can't be backed up.

I looked else where on this forum and some one said that if you get "Random Positioning Error" it means the disk is damaged and it isn't a new kind of protection. But in my experience when a disk is damaged it doesn't play back perfectly in Power DVD.

One disk I tried to backup, it played no problem in Power DVD, and when I tried DVD Decrypter I just kept on getting the "Random Positioning Error", so I tried FabDVD and it backed it up but when I tried to play the files, they were a complete mess.

Can anyone give me advice?

CWR03
26th September 2006, 09:46
If it happens with a lot of disks, it's probable that your drive is either dirty or failing. Naturally if you use DVDFab Decrypter you get a mess because it replaces bad sectors with dummy ones. DVD Decrypter will just fail unless you tell it to ignore read errors.

Just because the disk plays fine doesn't mean it and the drive are good. There are other areas that could be a problem that aren't part of what you see when watching the movie.

Try replacing the ribbon cable to your drive first if it's kinked at all and you have a spare. Make sure the jumpers are set properly for Master and Slave and not Cable select. From there, try a cleaning disk.

setarip_old
26th September 2006, 14:11
Hi!I've been having some problems lately with DVD Decrypter. I keep getting responses like: "Random Positioning Error" or "Unrecovered Read Error".If this is happening with newer DVD releases, it may simply be newer versions of copy protection.

Which specific Titles (and Region) are problematic for you?

Try using the easy-to-use (freeware) "RipIt4Me" package to backup these DVDs. You can download it from:

www.ripit4me.org

While you're at that site, read the excellent "how-to" tutorial...

RoK
27th September 2006, 14:12
Thanks for the replies. I'm not disregarding that my drive might be dirty or failing but I don't have any problems with burning with it. I think that it may be a newer versions of copy protection. I'm region two, and the last disk I had problems with was Sony title.

setarip_old
27th September 2006, 14:18
Then, by all means, do try using the "RipIt4Me" package...

RoK
27th September 2006, 14:43
I downloaded it yesterday and tried to put it into its correct folders on my PC. I'm reading through the guide, it looks more complicated than what I'm use to. But I'm definitely going to try it.

blutach
27th September 2006, 15:06
@RoK - use 1-click mode. Couldn't be easier. Just get the paths right. Read the installation section of the guide.

Regards

CWR03
27th September 2006, 21:45
It's definitely easier than it looks, especially with the "1-click mode" (which isn't really 1-click, but you aren't asked to make any choices, you just click through the procedures). The paths for other programs are easily set up through the menus if you don't have them in their default locations.