PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Aspect Ratio

laksman91
12th September 2006, 04:34
I was wondering how I could adjust the aspect ratio of a 640x480 video to a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm not sure if there is another post on this, if there is I'm sorry. Also how do you deteremine the size of the "black bars" going across the top. I want to try to maintain or improve the quality of the video just to let you guys know.

Thanks,

Laksman

CWR03
12th September 2006, 07:10
What you're asking is a bit confusing. When you play a 640 x 480 (1.33:1) video on a 16:9 widescreen, it will either have black bars on the sides or it will appear flattened. Adding black bars to top and bottom will either shrink the video into a smaller window on the screen or will make it more flattened. It would also be helpful to know how you intend to use the video, as there are many solutions dependent on what device will be playing them.

Your_Idol
12th September 2006, 09:57
You can change the aspect ratio of the video during playback with a player like zoom player.

Other than that you can not change the aspect ratio of the video with out re-encoding and when re-encoding you will not have to worry about the size of the black bars because with virtualdubmod or gordian knot you can see the black bars while cropping. Just crop until the black bars go away.

To keep the quality the same, use the compressibility test in gordian knot to determine what bitrate to use.

Jacquers
12th September 2006, 10:11
You can't crop without re-encoding, but you can actually change the aspect ratio without re-endoding (but it will stretch the picture). Use mpeg4modifier (http://www.moitah.net/)