PDA

View Full Version : Best audio for low bitrate compression

ToiletDuck
28th August 2006, 20:42
I'm putting some movies together to have on a PDA and I'd like to know what you guys feel is the best audio for lower bitrates to listen to using headphones while on a plane or long road trip.

I've just done Kiss Kiss Bang Bang using x264 and 64bit AAC. However I don't know how to add the audio to the video. I use to just use Nandub back in the day but it says it won't accept the audio. What should I use to do that as well?

Chainmax
28th August 2006, 20:45
For best quality audio at low bitrates, I think the recommended codec is HE-AAC with Parametric Stereo at ~48kbps. As for muxing, YAMB is a very good, easy-to-use program.

ToiletDuck
28th August 2006, 20:56
thank you very much for the quick and efficient response!

ToiletDuck
28th August 2006, 22:32
hmm when trying to put the audio on the video YAMB keeps giving an error saying unable to load the .avi container which is x264. I'm guessing that is the problem. Any other recommendations?

Chainmax
30th August 2006, 02:08
I'm not sure what you mean, AVI is a container and x264 is a codec. Think of a container as a bottle and the codec as the liquid within it. Can you play the source file on your computer?

3dsnar
30th August 2006, 09:48
or rather
container = bottle
encoder = funnel
stream = liquid
;)

SeeMoreDigital
30th August 2006, 10:00
hmm when trying to put the audio on the video YAMB keeps giving an error saying unable to load the .avi container which is x264. I'm guessing that is the problem. Any other recommendations?YAMB does not accept MPEG-4 AVC streams placed within the AVI container. You need to de-mux the video stream first.

shon3i
30th August 2006, 10:45
You can aslo try 24-32kbs with Parametric Stereo, sounds very promising

sigma_sigma
17th September 2006, 03:55
Sorry I am offtopic, but I have a reverse question. I 'd like to know what I have to do to encode a normal wav file into something and loose less quality. I'm not interested about a lossless format like monkey(ape) becauze the rezulting file is very large (75% from a wav file) I'm looking something to be compressed less than half wav file. I've tryed with Nero LC AAC latest version but I don't know parameters, how to...... I hope u can give me a proper answer, all what I want is to find the best lossy format, no matter size of resulting file, anyway, smaller than a APE, FLAC or VW.

Thanks in advance.

Soulhunter
17th September 2006, 08:53
@ sigma_sigma

Musepack!? ^^ (http://www.musepack.net/)

Bye

check
17th September 2006, 08:57
neroaacenc q1?

Also, less asking for the "Best"! Read the rules! :p

pookpooi
19th September 2006, 15:45
Only HE-AACv2?
How about WMAPro10 or Vorbis?

Kurtnoise
19th September 2006, 17:25
My vote : Wavpack lossy... ^__^