PDA

View Full Version : I can't open up wav files encoded with a codec.

BlazingFire456
15th August 2006, 02:03
Hi, I am having a problem with .wav files. The only .wav files I can open up are Uncompressed PCM files. Any wav file that is encoded with a codec such as MPEG layer-3 or AC3 just freezes up whenever I try to open it. However, if I demux, lets say, an MPEG Layer-3 .wav to .mp3, it plays fine. This problem only seem to be happening when it is in a container such as .wav

BigDid
15th August 2006, 03:07
Hi, I am having a problem with .wav files. The only .wav files I can open up are Uncompressed PCM files. Any wav file that is encoded with a codec such as MPEG layer-3 or AC3 just freezes up whenever I try to open it. However, if I demux, lets say, an MPEG Layer-3 .wav to .mp3, it plays fine. This problem only seem to be happening when it is in a container such as .wav
Hi,

If it's happening to a WAV file size being => 4Gb, it's a well known problem related to FAT32 HD; does'nt happen with NTFS.

Did

setarip_old
15th August 2006, 05:00
Actually, if I remember correctly, there is an even more severe limitation related specifically to .WAV files (nothing to do with FAT32), in that the maximum size of a .WAV file is 2Gb...

BlazingFire456
17th August 2006, 08:12
Umm, no it has nothing to do with size limitations, lol. This happens with any file, no matter what the size. The only wav files I can play are uncompressed PCM. I noticed though, this is only happening in DirectShow players like Winamp. They load fine in editing programs.

Skelsgard
17th August 2006, 16:01
Could u post the programs it can be played/opened with and the ones it canīt?

gameplaya15143
17th August 2006, 16:37
Winamp is not a directshow player (although it does have a directshow input plugin). Make sure .wav is not on in_dshow's extention list, you should be using in_wave for wav files. Winamp plays mp3 encoded wave files just fine as long as you have the acm decoder for that codec.

WMP6.4 is a directshow player, test your wav files in that.
Also check them in the really old media player (mplay32.exe on xp).

BlazingFire456
17th August 2006, 20:47
Actually, I should have tested it beforehand, but the files do play in Windows Media Player fine, even the old one. It is just Winamp. The Input plugins didn't have anything selected. I changed it to Nullsoft Waveform Decoder 3.01 [in_wave.dll], but it's still doing it. Not only that but when I go back to the input plugin list, there is still nothing selected.

Actually, I didn't really word myself properly in the first post. It doesn't actually cause Winamp to crash. When happens is, it just gets stuck on 0:00, and refuses to play at all. I got it confused with another program that crashed, sorry. But do you know why Winamp won't play them?

J_Darnley
20th August 2006, 17:24
Winamp's in_wave plugin uses libsndfile (http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/) which does not support MP3 or AC3 in the wav container and it also doesn't support send the stream to the plugin it needs. If you have lots of these files you could add WAV to Winamp's MPEG audio decoder, in_mp3.

BlazingFire456
20th August 2006, 21:07
Thanks, that fixed the problem!

gameplaya15143
22nd August 2006, 01:46
Winamp's in_wave plugin uses libsndfile (http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/) which does not support MP3 or AC3 in the wav container and it also doesn't support send the stream to the plugin it needs. If you have lots of these files you could add WAV to Winamp's MPEG audio decoder, in_mp3.
I was unaware of that. The version of in_wave that I have works perfectly fine with mp3 encoded wave files. (I think from winamp 5.1).

I don't recomend adding wav to in_mp3, as you will be unable to play pcm wave files. Instead, add wav to in_dshow, or get the old version of in_wave.

BlazingFire456
24th August 2006, 07:31
I don't recomend adding wav to in_mp3, as you will be unable to play pcm wave files. Instead, add wav to in_dshow, or get the old version of in_wave.

Thanks, that fixed everything!

SAAP
4th October 2007, 13:37
I am using

PIII Intel original 950HZ WIndows 98 , se
256 ram
Media player classic , K lite megapack
Winodws media player 9
RM player

Sound Driver Avance Ac97
Donot have winamp installed

I cannot encode a wav file with a AVI file. I can create avi file
from 2 AVI files ie Video from the first and audio from second. But simply i cannot join any WAV file with the AVI.Always get error. Tried with the simplest wav file called POW.WAV which stays in all windows

size 10 kb
Audio: PCM 11025Hz mono 88Kbps

always get error

"COULDNOT OPEN FILE POW.wav"

I have tested it with various wav files always the same.No chance of wrong PATH.I believe its something with the system settings .....

what should be the sound setting???!!???:mad::confused::mad::eek: