PDA

View Full Version : Kantan Anime (New Batch Encoder GUI)

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 02:35
For lack of a better name, I just named it Kantan Anime. It's the new batch encoder that I'm working on, an idea inspired from Sirber's RealAnime. Very nice GUI that.
Kantan Anime is supposed to be an easy-to-use GUI that takes input audio/video and compresses it with modern techology H264 (using x264) and AAC.
The program is still in early stages, but it works. Now, I want some input on it. Should things be changed? Rearranged? Suggestions? Bugs?
Currently, input is anything which mkvmerge supports (which is quite a list) and output is mkv.

You can download it here (www.eluni.net/cgi-bin/download_count/download.cgi?download=Kantan_Anime.7z) (Microsoft Windows(R) XP(TM) version)
Vista version coming soon!

It requires Visual C++ 2005 runtime if you don't have it already.
Download it here if you don't have it. (http://www.eluni.net/downloads/vcredist_x86/vcredist_x86.exe)

Let me know how it works :D

Here are the current ideas for Kantan Anime:
- Remove all files from the list (DONE)
- Add files and directories (Maybe broken due to new implemtations™)
- Support for files with no audio/video tracks
- Support for files with multiple audio/video/subtitles streams (In the works™)
- Saving chapters, subtitles, etc (that is, if any chapters/subtitles/things exist in the original, it shall also be in the newly encoded file)
- Sorting encoding list (by name, by status)
- Deleting specific files from the list (error, done, waiting, skipped, etc)
- New status: skipped file
- Tutorial
- Guides for easy features
- Support for avisynth
- Support for filtering
- Network encoding: Use multiple computers to encode your list via network

These are all ideas, though. Cannot promise everything will be there or how long it will take.

clone83
13th August 2006, 03:53
can u plz add avs support and maybe a feature request... you could have it that u can add 2 audio files seperate but it still encodes all the files together and muxes them into one mkv output...?

berrinam
13th August 2006, 04:11
I don't mean to be disparaging, but I don't see the point of all these me-too projects.... there are now just so many encoding GUIs here, and I don't see what they add. In my opinion it would be much faster to contribute to an existing project, because they are much further advanced than a new project can be.

Of course, it's your choice if you want to spend your time on this project, but want I'm interested in knowing is what this program does that, say, RealAnime doesn't.

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 10:14
can u plz add avs support and maybe a feature request... you could have it that u can add 2 audio files seperate but it still encodes all the files together and muxes them into one mkv output...?
Avs support will come, in time.
About 2 audio files... Maybe. I'll see what I can do about that.
But not yet. There is much to do yet.

@berrinam:
I only see RealAnime out there. And it's in delphi. I don't do delphi. Plus we all know that Sirber *might* just not continue it forever. And he won't share the source.
And megui... well, megui is bloated and crap IMO.
This might be, besides an own interesting project (with neat features Sirber probably don't want to implememt), probably the successor of RealAnime one day.

berrinam
13th August 2006, 10:23
It would be nice to refrain from criticising megui. Adding IMO doesn't make it ok, IMO.

I believe that RealAnime is GPL, so he has to release his source code if you request it. Anyway, what I see out there is:
MeGUI
StaxRip
RealAnime
MkvMagic
Xvid4PSP
WinMenc
Avidemux
and now yours

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 10:28
It would be nice to refrain from criticising megui. Adding IMO doesn't make it ok, IMO.
In my opniion megui is not a good software. I tried it before. Hard to use and not satisfying results.

I believe that RealAnime is GPL, so he has to release his source code if you request it. Anyway, what I see out there is:
MeGUI
StaxRip
RealAnime
MkvMagic
Xvid4PSP
WinMenc
Avidemux
and now yours
Have you not read? The original RA5 dev thread was closed over a petty discussion about aquiring the RA5 source. It will remain closed, it seems.

berrinam
13th August 2006, 11:04
Have you not read? The original RA5 dev thread was closed over a petty discussion about aquiring the RA5 source. It will remain closed, it seems.Ok, I see. I wasn't aware of that.

check
13th August 2006, 11:33
Obviously if everyone worked together in harmony towards a common goal to create the ultimate GUI frontend that finally kills off GK everything would be roses.
On the other hand, you're saying that there are no open source projects that match your own goal, and thus you cannot add to an existing project. So make this OSS :)

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 12:48
RA is my favorite GUI and so it shall forbee. Therefore, I will make an own GUI from scratch to fill in the holes in the now closed source, RA5. And if Sirber stops working on the project, then I will continue with this one. That's the idea anyway.

Sirber
13th August 2006, 15:17
I believe that RealAnime is GPL, so he has to release his source code if you request it.RealAnime 4 and bellow are GPL and source avalible. RealAnime 5 is closed source for the time being, might be GPL on 5.0 final release.

also, xAnime is a RealAnime-like GUI made in C#. If you don't like delphi, I'm sure daverc could use a hand on his project.

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 16:10
You know as well as I do that I don't like C#. Besides, things (like my GUI) that I use in C++, I don't have for C# because it isn't NATIVE. And there is A LOT I don't know how to do in C#.
...And I don't like that language either. It's turning into another Visual Basic. Go figure.

Sirber
13th August 2006, 17:03
Where are the settings?

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 17:24
What settings? :confused:

Sirber
13th August 2006, 17:28
codec settings for exmeple, bitrate and stuff.
all I get is a file list, add, start and stop.

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 17:32
Yeah, it's pretty alpha yet. I borrowed your settings from RA5.
But the idea is to add profiles - like your GUI. Because it's so darn easy to use.

Sirber
13th August 2006, 17:41
I don't like your idea of cloning RA.

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 17:46
The idea is to make a GUI which is easy to use a-la RealAnime (Read: like RealAnime). I borrowed your settings for x264 since I don't know how to make my own (don't know the command lines).
The rest of the program will be my own implemtation and design. Again, profiles are incredibly easy to use.
It is not a clone; it does indeed use the same idea (an easy to use GUI) that even beginners can use without trouble.

Doom9
13th August 2006, 19:30
And megui... well, megui is bloated and crap IMO.Having written a considerable portion of megui, I can't help but take offense. Congratulations, you've just made my shitlist and considering I run this board, you are now skating on very thin ice.

@berrinam: let's just continue making megui better, all those me too projects will eventually die. There were a lot of me-too websites that tried to emulate mine back in the day, too.. look where we are now.

Sirber
13th August 2006, 19:36
my me-too will never die!!! ;)
I think RA was here before megui, so megui is a me-too too ;)

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 19:36
Well, forgive ME if *I* think so. It is *MY* personal opinion. I don't run about screaming your software is bad. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and from the looks of it, many people find MeGUI useful. But *I* don't.
And if someone takes offense from a personal opinion, then that one should probably learn that other people may think differently. No offense.

Sirber
13th August 2006, 19:38
And if someone takes offense from a personal opinionThose usualy ask a mod to close the thread ;)

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 19:42
That is nonsense. What should a thread be closed for such a silly thing? If someone is polluting a thread, then that one must stop. Why oh why, close the thread?

Sirber
13th August 2006, 19:46
was talking about me silly ;)
remember old RA dev thread? :D

Eretria-chan
13th August 2006, 19:52
Yes, yes, I do. But I still feel it was unnecessary. And I'm not one to close a thread over mood swings, either.

ChronoCross
13th August 2006, 23:16
From what I see this is a poorly written pre-alpha. It's not even really useable and the fact that it's going to basically be a realanime clone doesn't make it any better.

Eretria-chan:
I read the RealAnime 5 thread that was thankfully closed. You are a whiney complaining poster who does nothing but complain when something doesn't work exactly how YOU want it. The fact that MeGUI is too complex for you to understand and get working properly shows really bad on yourself and any attempts for you to make software that people actually want to use will probably fail.

unskinnyboy
13th August 2006, 23:55
I, for one, am thankful that there are many options to choose from, as long as each serve at least a different class of audience - ultra n00b, n00b, intermediate user, advanced user etc, and as long as there is something unique which one software offers over the other (ease of use, access to advanced settings, rapid & frequent modifications to the GUI to match the codec settings etc). While on one hand I think the harsh censure of MeGUI was unwarranted and to which I don't agree, let us not discourage someone trying to contribute to the AV community too.

Too many GUIs spoil the broth? Maybe, maybe not. Let's wait and see. Time will tell. Peace & good luck.

Sharktooth
14th August 2006, 03:54
my me-too will never die!!! ;)
I think RA was here before megui, so megui is a me-too too ;)
I dont think doom9 was referring to you. RA is very different from megui and uses a completely different approach.
I fail to see how the 2 GUIs can be even compared coz they're completely different.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 12:18
From what I see this is a poorly written pre-alpha. It's not even really useable and the fact that it's going to basically be a realanime clone doesn't make it any better.
Maybe you are right his is a pre-alpha, but perhaps I wanted to see what people thought of the encoding process? The software is slowly maturing in my dev gui.

Eretria-chan:
I read the RealAnime 5 thread that was thankfully closed. You are a whiney complaining poster who does nothing but complain when something doesn't work exactly how YOU want it.
No, you are just another one who cannot see behind the scenes.

The fact that MeGUI is too complex for you to understand and get working properly shows really bad on yourself and any attempts for you to make software that people actually want to use will probably fail.
Let's face it: MeGUI is *advanced*. I don't want advanced software because I don't know enough to make use of it. RealAnime on the other hand is basically... drag & drop files. Click start. Leave and don't look back. What could be easier? THAT is how I want it.
But also remember that I am willing to look beyond areas where Sirber will not look with RealAnime. And since this is written in C++, I can contribute as much as I want, unlike Delphi.

Sirber
14th August 2006, 12:23
And since this is written in C++, I can contribute as much as I want, unlike Delphi.Since most people use VB6 and C#, it's likely that you will be alone on that project.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 12:28
Since most people use C++, maybe I'll be alone on the project. But it's alright. I am not expecting any help. I can manage fine by my own.
OK, no really, a lot is written in C++ and I doubt that will change.

Sirber
14th August 2006, 12:30
OK, no really, a lot is written in C++ and I doubt that will change.A lot of C++ apps out there true, but I'm talking about users of d9. Most of them are not devs and all they know/try is VB and .NET ;)

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 12:33
Poor sods. They don't know what they're missing :sly:
But maybe some wannabe like Lain, who knows little or nothing at all about programming/c++, will join just because they think the idea is glorious! :p

berrinam
14th August 2006, 12:52
I support One Unified Encoding manager, because it simply saves so much code. Consider what MeGUI has that no other tool really does: complete auto deinterlacing, and mux path finding. Both of these tools are quite advanced, and will be useful for a GUI designed for any level of user. Most people who write new GUIs simply don't have the time to write such features, so their GUI lacks that. I think what MeGUI really has to offer is its advanced features, much more than the GUI itself.

This is why I proposed a sort of backend manager which would have all of these advanced features. Not many people seemed particularly interested, though, and I didn't have much time to implement it, so I left it for then. However, I believe this is the proper solution to all this duplication of code.

Until then, however, it costs practically nothing to simply add another RA-like tool to MeGUI. It would really take much less work than creating an entirely new tool, and it would immediately get all of the things MeGUI has to offer, including wide support of codecs.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 12:55
If you can convince them to add a dll (writen in C++ of course), then I could do it. Maybe. But it would still be hard work.

berrinam
14th August 2006, 12:57
Who is them? Who are you replying to?

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 12:59
The authors or MeGUI and/or contributors.
Although I think I am on thin ice with Doom9, one of the authors of MeGUI I think? I don't think it will be featurable. I don't think it will work at all, anyway, though.

LAIN
14th August 2006, 13:10
Poor sods. They don't know what they're missing :sly:
But maybe some wannabe like Lain, who knows little or nothing at all about programming/c++, will join just because they think the idea is glorious! :p

i dont like the idea of beeing a "wannabe". and i dont F*****G care about the so called glory.

First i wont joint a project unlest it is useful (like realanime) and I know the basic of programming. I dont know nothing about C++ and i defenitly wont learn it (I'm not a programmer and i dont intend to become one).

I just hope that you will stop telling some false idea about people that work on project. I've learned delphi with realanime and it's a good experience, i just dont have the same motivation as Sirber in it and wont put the same amount of time as him. If you can concider you as a god of programming c++ and YOU NEVER went by the process of "learning" a programming language, i'm astonished, please tell me what do you eat in the morning to be a god.

[Edit]

Btw, how does it feel to take some code that was made by a "wannabe", code from realanime?

[Edit 2]

and i wont come here to pollute your thread

berrinam
14th August 2006, 13:12
Well, I am one of the authors. I don't know how easily C# code could communicate with C++, though, and for it to integrate nicely, you would need to be able to access and extend the C# classes. Primarily, though, I don't understand the concern over the choice of language. C# is a simple enough language to easily learn, and the powerful IDE and syntactical similarity with C++ should mean that the language issue should not be a concern for you. However, I think the advantages of C# (all the extra runtime-ivity and also the fact that it has easy+nice GUIs, strong in-built libraries, catches more bugs) outweigh the only real advantage you would have of writing it in C++: speed, which isn't such a big concern given that it is only an encoding manager, and not an encoder itself.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 13:26
i dont like the idea of beeing a "wannabe". and i dont F*****G care about the so called glory.

First i wont joint a project unlest it is useful (like realanime) and I know the basic of programming. I dont know nothing about C++ and i defenitly wont learn it (I'm not a programmer and i dont intend to become one).

I just hope that you will stop telling some false idea about people that work on project. I've learned delphi with realanime and it's a good experience, i just dont have the same motivation as Sirber in it and wont put the same amount of time as him. If you can concider you as a god of programming c++ and YOU NEVER went by the process of "learning" a programming language, i'm astonished, please tell me what do you eat in the morning to be a god.
Sigh...
Sorry to hear you were offended. My words were not meant to offend. Sorry, sorry...
It was a joke. It means that some people *might* join a project because they feel like it's worth it. Like you, with RealAnime. And I consider it a great thing done if you don't know much about programming or a language, yet learn and contribute. Which you have done.
Again, truly sorry if I offended you.

@berrinam:
I don't like C#. I don't care if it's better than C++. C# is like Visual Basic. You trade power for easiness. And I don't like that.

berrinam
14th August 2006, 13:30
Well, I can't force you to program in a language you don't like, but it is IMHO irrational to avoid it given these advantages (and the fact that MeGUI is written in C#) just because of a moral reason. I'll repeat it: in an encoding manager, power is not important, because it doesn't do the gruntwork. The other point is that writing code is full of tradeoffs, and not liking the language is IMHO a bad reason to avoid the potential it offers.

I don't know enough .NET to know how easily one can integrate C++ with C#, but if that stops you contributing to MeGUI, I am sorry to hear it. Perhaps more knowledgeable of .NET can shed some light.

LAIN
14th August 2006, 13:35
Sigh...
Sorry to hear you were offended. My words were not meant to offend. Sorry, sorry...

Ok, sorry for acting like this, but the way that you tell it was very confusing and it's even worse when you wake up and you read this kind of stuff!!!

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 13:36
Why do I use C++? Is it the speed? No. It's the power is brings. This is what makes me love the language. I don't like C#. It's too overly simplistic. And it's turning into another VB.
I like control - and control is what you loose when using C#. Everything is done behind the scenes - just like VB.

Ok, sorry for acting like this, but the way that you tell it was very confusing and it's even worse when you wake up and you read this kind of stuff!!!
I understand. Again, truly sorry.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 14:40
Updating to alpha 2. New error checking is in place as well as a overhaul of most of the code.
It will now store all encoded files in C:\Output with the original name, but with a mkv extension. So it is possible to do batch-encoding now. I hope.
Let's see what we can do about compability now...

ChronoCross
14th August 2006, 18:40
Let's face it: MeGUI is *advanced*. I don't want advanced software because I don't know enough to make use of it. RealAnime on the other hand is basically... drag & drop files. Click start. Leave and don't look back. What could be easier? THAT is how I want it.
But also remember that I am willing to look beyond areas where Sirber will not look with RealAnime. And since this is written in C++, I can contribute as much as I want, unlike Delphi.

for someone who likes functionality of C++ you don't seem to be able to handle anything other than drag and drop.

As for me not seeing behind the scenes.....I just know what I've seen from your first alpha.....which is basically a bat file maker....cause that's all it does. Really detrimental to the encoding community. You should have considered waiting until you had more than 1 feature to release anything. It would be like releasing windows vista with only the boot screen.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 18:43
I wanted to know the opinion on the GUI, actually. There is yet a lot to be done. This wasn't much about features, but style.

Sirber
14th August 2006, 18:57
This wasn't much about features, but style.If by style you mean empty and dull... ;)

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 19:03
That's the kinda input I was looking for :p Okay, seriously, I messed something up. It isn't showing the picture properly (but noone bothered to complain about anything).
I want to add compability, but I can't get the cursed avs2wav.exe to WORK, damn you!

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 21:34
Alright, alpha 3 is ready. Compability is vastly improved. Anything that is supported by mkvmerge is supposed, basically. Audio encoding is improved as well, now it won't fail on some types of audio. Fixed the GUI, now the picture shows properly.
Good riddance. Now I need a break.
Some things are still not working, of course, but it will come in time.

Sirber
14th August 2006, 21:36
so betas are tomorrow, rcs in 2 days and final in 3 days? ;)
or you are aiming for alpha 60?

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 21:50
Dunno. Got a lot of time on my hands and I've simply written the basic parts.
Of course, that will be all there is unless there are lots of feature requests. And that doesn't seem too likely now.

Sirber
14th August 2006, 21:54
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2445/errornh4.png
downlaoded the 7z, ran it, then got that.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 21:56
EDIT: It seems to be an error with the application. I'll look into it.
EDIT2: New archive uploaded. This one runs fine for me.

karl_lillevold
14th August 2006, 22:00
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/5387/clipboard01wf0.png

Also a runtime problem? I have MSVC .NET 2003, not 2005 :(

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 22:01
That looks like a runtime problem. Runtime is available in the first post. After installing it, the application should start.

Eretria-chan
14th August 2006, 22:29
Uploading another version with some small additions. The stop encode button hopefully works now. You can still click the X on the progress dialog to cancel, though.
Added a remove button.
Added missing error code for some audio and video errors.

bratao
15th August 2006, 00:59
I like it,

BTW, you should find space creating a mencoder Gui.
With this , you only need to distribuite one program, and have a lot of good opitions.
No more editing a .Avs script only to use a subtitle, and you only need to make command line to encode even the sound.
And have the funtion that i REALLY love, the oac copy .
It copy the original audio to the encoded one, without no sych error, without ocupating space in disk, witout so much work.

If you can , i like to see the source

Eretria-chan
15th August 2006, 01:01
Mencoder does not accept avisynth and does not have the same capabilities that avisynth has.
You want to look at the source? Why?

bratao
15th August 2006, 02:38
Sure, mencoder can accept avs
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

I wanna see the source, because i know c++, and maybe i can help you in my free time

Shinobu
15th August 2006, 09:41
@Eretria-chan
"I don't like C#. I don't care if it's better than C++. C# is like Visual Basic. You trade power for easiness. And I don't like that."
isn't it exactly what you did when you use realanime instead of megui ?

"and control is what you loose when using C#. Everything is done behind the scenes - just like VB."
exactly like like in simples guis, all is done behind ^^.

don't get the bad idea, i love simplified gui i've make a lot of it (released on my website or for my eyes only if it's too specific).
i just don't like your programming language arguments... i do all my guis in vb6 and it's more than enough for that, i'm not a programmer and will nether be one, so the vb give me the opportunity to send my time on the software devel and not on the learning of the language.
You may understand that before you critisise all easy to use programming language and by the way, the programmer who use them ....

Robutix
15th August 2006, 10:44
Yup, C++ is next to C in the bottom of programming languages. It's language is very basic yet powerful enough for object-oriented programming. I think that's why Eretria is not much open in learning new languages higher than C++. But it needs a lot of implementations to self-construct to comply with many functions of GUIs today. Maybe that's why a lot of d9 devs are using higher-level languages. IMO.

And about the initial RA thread that was closed? I was there! And I know who brought up those selfish issues into Sirber's nerves making him request for that thread closed. :rolleyes:

@Eretria
Better make a heavy test for bugs first before releasing an alpha everyday. Since no-one will find your alpha useful if they will encounter bugs instantly right after starting your program. ;)

PS: The word "Anime" also appearing in your program's name only proves its existence as a clone. Not codewise but in terms of its purpose. (Same purpose intended by RA but with different features you personally preferred.) I thought you want it to be more than just encoding Anime videos? Like non-anime profiles? Then the current name would be inappropriate (and obviously derived from RA). Just a suggestion if you don't mind...

Eretria-chan
15th August 2006, 20:25
Sure, mencoder can accept avs
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

I wanna see the source, because i know c++, and maybe i can help you in my free time
It can? :confused:
Well, I'm not too sure with mencoder. If you feel like it might help, then maybe you could experiment with it and see if you get any decent results.
If you want the source, you could provide me with an email (via pm is fine) and I'll zip it up & send it.

@Eretria-chan
"I don't like C#. I don't care if it's better than C++. C# is like Visual Basic. You trade power for easiness. And I don't like that."
isn't it exactly what you did when you use realanime instead of megui ?
Programming languages I know about, but not video encoding ;) I like power and flexibility in the language, but I couldn't care less for it in video. And besides, megui didn't make it easy for me to re-encode my files without, like resizing & stuff. Maybe I'm not getting it right, though.

"and control is what you loose when using C#. Everything is done behind the scenes - just like VB."
exactly like like in simples guis, all is done behind ^^.
Again, see argument above.

don't get the bad idea, i love simplified gui i've make a lot of it (released on my website or for my eyes only if it's too specific).
i just don't like your programming language arguments... i do all my guis in vb6 and it's more than enough for that, i'm not a programmer and will nether be one, so the vb give me the opportunity to send my time on the software devel and not on the learning of the language.
You may understand that before you critisise all easy to use programming language and by the way, the programmer who use them ....
I have used VB6 & .NET before and all I can say is that I loathe them now, when I am a C++ guru.

Yup, C++ is next to C in the bottom of programming languages. It's language is very basic yet powerful enough for object-oriented programming. I think that's why Eretria is not much open in learning new languages higher than C++. But it needs a lot of implementations to self-construct to comply with many functions of GUIs today. Maybe that's why a lot of d9 devs are using higher-level languages. IMO.
I used VB6 & VB .NET before but I don't feel comfortable with them NOR C# anymore. They are too high level - the annoying "ref" when passing by reference, the annoying syntax and the blending of references, objects and pointers (does C# even use pointers? I think not.). This makes C++ my favorite language. The only language that I like.

And about the initial RA thread that was closed? I was there! And I know who brought up those selfish issues into Sirber's nerves making him request for that thread closed. :rolleyes:
I got a little out of control :p People do that sometimes. And Sirber's mood swings closes threads when he gets upset.

@Eretria
Better make a heavy test for bugs first before releasing an alpha everyday. Since no-one will find your alpha useful if they will encounter bugs instantly right after starting your program. ;)
That's why it's alpha. And it *seems* pretty stable to me. And besides, it's about feedback on the design mostly why I release alphas. And furthermore, maybe you might think that releasing alphas every day might be a bad idea, but I put most of my time in the day fixing & doing stuff in it, so a lot has changed from each alpha mostly from the programmer's view.

PS: The word "Anime" also appearing in your program's name only proves its existence as a clone. Not codewise but in terms of its purpose. (Same purpose intended by RA but with different features you personally preferred.) I thought you want it to be more than just encoding Anime videos? Like non-anime profiles? Then the current name would be inappropriate (and obviously derived from RA). Just a suggestion if you don't mind...
Aye, but do not forget "for lack of a better name." It's tentatively titled Kantan Anime for a lack of a better name. Maybe I should rename it Kantan Encoding. I don't know. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

Eretria-chan
17th August 2006, 21:31
Updating to alpha 4.
Many improvements now :)
- Tooltips added for main GUI. Remove added (was it there in alpha 3?).
- Options added.
- In options, you can specify video quality and bitrate, audio quality and select an action what to do if encoded file already exists in output folder.
- The ability to select an output folder.
- A new framework for allowing the application to skip encode of a file, wait for input and restart again (does not work if encode has already started).
- Tweaked encoding process. Not as many errors now.
- Fixed some GUI bugs. Progress should now be displayed correctly.
- Removed progress bars for steps convert audio & encoding audio (since those apps refuse to output any progress).
- Maybe more? I can't remember.

Kayser
17th August 2006, 23:27
Hi Eretria. I tried your lastest alpha 4 of KA but couldn't make it encode at all. It does the same with any source, it opens a window called dialog and dies without starting or anything. I like the user interface though.

Eretria-chan
17th August 2006, 23:29
Hmm, that is odd.
Does it tag the encode as failed?
UPDATE: There seems to be weird problems with the release binary which do not manifest themselves in the debugger. Very weird. I'm looking into why.
UPDATE2: Alpha 4.1 uploaded. Fixes a couple of bugs.

Kayser
18th August 2006, 01:06
Nothing of the sort, I mean, KA really crashes and closes :P... When I open it again the list is blank

Eretria-chan
18th August 2006, 01:11
Tried the newest build? The program does not remember the file list yet. Actually, I haven't thought of that. Well, it will be in the next build.
EDIT: Oops, forgot the graphics. Uploaded a new build.

Kayser
18th August 2006, 02:17
I tried the newest build. It doesn't crash anymore, but it doesn't encode either. The error was "cannot prepare file" or something (mkvmerge). It's just my opinion, but I think you should improve ant test your program further before releasing alphas like mad :P

Eretria-chan
18th August 2006, 02:22
It works perfectly for me. I don't see why I shouldn't release alphas. I take it is the first step that fails?
And besides, it needs testing on other machines and other files, too. All filse I've tested works.
Oh and sometimes I've noticed that it fails. But when you try again, it succeeds. It may be all the external apps messing up.

Try other files and, well... the full error message? Return code? Output?

Kayser
18th August 2006, 13:52
The error code and message is: "Failed to prepare file. Mkvmerge.exe returned error 3221225781"... That's when I click "why did it fail?". When I click start encoding the Encoding window pops up and closes in less than a second, so I assume it does nothing. That's the full description of what I do. I don't know if it's useful but I set the bitrate to 416 and used "skip the file"

Eretria-chan
18th August 2006, 19:19
Does it happen with all sources or just a single file?

Kayser
18th August 2006, 23:31
Every single source... I've only tried avi as I don't know if it handles mkv or ogm.

Eretria-chan
19th August 2006, 10:34
It handles both of those. Every extesion listed in the add files dialog is supported. Did you set output directory?
I'll make a test to see what command line it passes and see what happens if you type it at a command prompt.

UPDATE: Uploaded a new binary. Includes reporting a few errors I missed before. Also includes showing the command line used when executing the steps (you can see when you click "why did it fail?" when it fails) and I included the avi code for debugging. It will extract the length of the audio stream in avi files (which will make it verify the file for errors).
Let's see if this helps.

Oh and when it errors you, try to use the command line presented in the error and execute it on a dos prompt.

Kayser
19th August 2006, 15:52
I'll check it out :) and yes, I did set an output directory

Eretria-chan
7th September 2006, 17:43
In case anyone wonders whether this is dead, it is not. I've had Problems™ to get something to work. Plus I have been away from the project a lot lately because of School™ and Real Life™.

The last thing I have added is to make sure that the encoding list will stay after you quit the application. This is still Work In Progress™, however. Status isn't saved.

Aside from that, I am working on bringing:
- Remove all files from the list.
- Add files and directories (Maybe broken due to new implemtations™).
- Support for files with no audio/video tracks (In the works™).
- Support for files with multiple audio/video/subtitles streams.
- Saving chapters, subtitles, etc (that is, if any chapters/subtitles/things exist in the original, it shall also be in the newly encoded file).
- Sorting encoding list (by name, by status).
- Deleting specific files from the list (error, done, waiting, skipped, etc).
- New status: skipped file.
- Tutorial.
- Guides for easy features.
- Support for avisynth.
- Support for filtering.
- Network encoding: Use multiple computers to encode your list via network.

I think that is all. Whew, that's quite a list. That is all I have planned or thought about doing. We shall see how much actually makes it into a release™.

Geek Squad
11th September 2006, 21:54
Hey, no offense here or anything, but this program isn't working at all for me. I don't mind if it takes you a longer time to get it working bug-free, but when you do release it, release it bug-free, despite the fact it might take an extra week or two...

Currently I've gotten one mkvmerge error and another error where the program just crashes...none of my files work with it...

Sirber
11th September 2006, 21:59
no software are bug-free...

Eretria-chan
11th September 2006, 22:02
Hey, no offense here or anything, but this program isn't working at all for me. I don't mind if it takes you a longer time to get it working bug-free, but when you do release it, release it bug-free, despite the fact it might take an extra week or two...

Currently I've gotten one mkvmerge error and another error where the program just crashes...none of my files work with it...
No offense or anything but it works perfectly for me. If you could just help me tell me what you did and what errors occours I might be able to make it work better.

Sirber
11th September 2006, 23:38
@Geek Squad

A good read for you ;)

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Eretria-chan
12th September 2006, 13:34
:goodpost:
I think I'll bookmark that and post to whoever does not follow the guidelines.

Sirber
12th September 2006, 14:34
:goodpost:
I think I'll bookmark that and post to whoever does not follow the guidelines.
Best just fix the bugs ;)

Eretria-chan
12th September 2006, 14:39
That's a little hard since I don't know whatever those bugs are and I am working on so many non-encoding stuff right now. The encoding chain worked pretty well from what I could understand.

Eretria-chan
12th September 2006, 18:23
UPDATE!
There shall be two versions of the program: One for Microsoft Windows(R) Vista(TM) and one for Microsoft Windows(R) XP(TM). The Vista version will only work on Vista and the XP version will work on XP or earlier.

Unfortunaly, becase I use Vista, Vista functions will be a priority, and XP will come later. I am *hoping* to include all the stuff in the Vista version to the XP version. There will be no real missing functionality in the versions. The Vista version will look prettier due to the new Vista API functionality, though.

Sirber
12th September 2006, 19:44
So you have 2 versions coz of themes only? Great! I love C++ ;)

Eretria-chan
12th September 2006, 21:19
Using Vista-only APIs. Won't work under XP. It's not C++'s fault, it's Microsoft's APIs' fault.

Example:
Left: Vista, Right: XP
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2224/vistaguibp0.th.jpg (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vistaguibp0.jpg) http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5734/xpguiot4.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xpguiot4.jpg)

The left dialog is not possible under XP. The buttons uses a new Vista-only style.

Sirber
13th September 2006, 02:37
I'm sure you can get compatible XP components for that :sly:

Eretria-chan
13th September 2006, 08:29
Maybe, if I find a lot of extra crap to bundle along. And a lot of searching. You go figure.
Besides that, I don't want to do that either. You'll have to do with what XP can do. If you want prettier interface, go get Microsoft Windows(R) Vista(TM) RC1, which should be public soon. If you already have a key, then just go grab.

Jerry_Sm@rt
13th September 2006, 09:40
any mirrors?cann't link to the address here,but i really want to try it

Eretria-chan
13th September 2006, 09:49
If you mean the program, see the first page.
If you mean Vista, then go here: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm
It's totally legal to download.

Sirber
13th September 2006, 14:34
Maybe, if I find a lot of extra crap to bundle along. And a lot of searching. You go figure.
Besides that, I don't want to do that either. You'll have to do with what XP can do. If you want prettier interface, go get Microsoft Windows(R) Vista(TM) RC1, which should be public soon. If you already have a key, then just go grab.
I prefer more features than pretty interface. You can't do anything with a pretty interface :p

DarkZell666
13th September 2006, 14:54
It didn't work for me.

When I run the application, add a file, and click on encode: a cute girl appears but disappears in a matter of milliseconds and nothing happens. The file status says "Encoding ..." but that's all. No CPU/HDD activity and no progressbar either.

I suppose the window that flased right past me contained the encoding information ?

Other thing : when I expand the file node and select a random line in the list then click on "remove file", the selected line disappears but not the hole file node. You'll have to sort that out :p

To say, simply reading the buttons and using them "as suggested by their names" didn't work.

Eretria-chan
13th September 2006, 15:02
I prefer more features than pretty interface. You can't do anything with a pretty interface :p
It's coming ;)

DarkZell666: Thanks for the bug report. I will look into it. You're right that the window is the progress window. It seems strange that it should disappear so quickly. I'm taking it that it failed since there's no activity.
Anyway, I'll be back with a new build. Just wait a little :)

EDIT:Grrrr, of course Windows doesn't like writing / searching in files. I'll have to use a buffer and then write it to file. Bah!