PDA

View Full Version : BeSweet - choppy mp3 output

Amerzone
16th December 2001, 01:00
I tried BeSweet 0.81 with the DanniDin GUI to encode few video clips in batch mode. The batch process works fine, yet the output mp3's sound choppy.

Here it is a sample of the command line I'm using to encode only a single vob (quite straightforward, I guess).

"C:\Audio\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "j:\music_videos\clip_1.vob"
-output "j:\music_videos\clip_1.mp3" -substream 0x80 -logfilea "C:\AUDIO\DDGUI\BeSweet.log" )
-azid( -z1 -b1 -g max ) -lame( -m j -q 2 -b 160 )

The mp3 resulting from GraphEdit and Lame 3.89 engine sounds ok. Am I missing something? :confused:

MaTTeR
16th December 2001, 05:16
I've got the same problem. I encoded the DD trailers and the sound is choppy, almost like a pop every few seconds. I just used the default settings.

Anyone else having this issue?

DSPguru
20th December 2001, 18:50
i strongly believe the problem is with the new fft-optimiaztions of lame_enc.dll v3.90 (alpha release), that comes with the BeSweet package.
please download lame_enc.dll v3.89 (http://mitiok.free.fr/lame3.89beta.zip), and see if the problem stays.
if it solved the problem, please report of what computer do you have, so LAME developers would know about that problem.

Amerzone
20th December 2001, 22:51
I checked engine 3.89, DLL v1.22 (extracted the lame_enc.dll into the BeSweet folder). I was hoping this would be the problem, alas no, the resulting mp3 is still choppy :( Pity, this is a fantastic tool, but useless to me for the time being. My puter:

Athlon 1.33G
mobo Kinetiz VIA KT133A chipset
RAM 512M
MSI GeForce2 MX-400
HD 30G + 40G
SB Live! Player 1024 (not 5.1)
WinME with IE6.0

DSPguru
20th December 2001, 22:55
check if MP2 also stutters..
that way, we'd know for sure if it's lame_enc.dll or something else...

Amerzone
21st December 2001, 02:02
I tried the vob > mp2 encoding from the command line and I got the "Unable to get LAME interfaces" error message. I then noticed there is actually a thread in the forum dealing with this prob, so I understand I need to have the mp2enc.dll in the BeSweet folder. The question is, where can I find this dll? (not included in the BeSweet pack). Forgive me for my ignorance...

Warwick
21st December 2001, 03:42
I think the problem with choppy mp3 output comes when you try and perform a direct encode from a vob to mp3 (or mp2). I have tried many vob-mp3 encodes and always get the same result, namely choppy output.

However, when I extract the ac3 from the vob first, through dvd2avi, then use BeSweet to convert ac3 to mp3 or mp2, result...no more choppy output!!

I wonder DSPGuru, can you fix this? Is this a problem only a few of us are suffering from?

The other problem I get is that whenever I try and perform an encode when the BeSweet button is highlighted I just get the dos-window flashing up for a second and then nothing... I can perform all the functions when the azid or lame buttons are highlighted, but not the BeSweet button. Any ideas? Im running win2000 with Athlon XP1700.

Thanks for the great program though, these minor issues aside, its a joy to use :)

Cheers,

Warwick

MaTTeR
21st December 2001, 04:05
Originally posted by Warwick
I think the problem with choppy mp3 output comes when you try and perform a direct encode from a vob to mp3 (or mp2). I have tried many vob-mp3 encodes and always get the same result, namely choppy output.

However, when I extract the ac3 from the vob first, through dvd2avi, then use BeSweet to convert ac3 to mp3 or mp2, result...no more choppy output!!

I thought so at first also. However, the last 3 tests I ran on RAW AC3 files from DVD2AVI was still choppy.

DSPguru
21st December 2001, 07:42
@Amerzone
you can find a link to BeSweet package on my signature.

@Warwick
I wonder DSPGuru, can you fix this? Is this a problem only a few of us are suffering from?
only few reported of this. i don't know, mayB there is a bug in bbdmux...
please try mp2-output, and report the results..

as for the GUI,
mayB DanniDin (GUI Author) knows what the problem is...

@Matter
try not setting values for Azid's Gain & WaveBooster.

Amerzone
21st December 2001, 10:37
Originally posted by DSPguru
@Amerzone
you can find a link to BeSweet package on my signature.

I'm totally confused now :confused: :confused: The url in your signature points to the BeSweet package @ Doom9 software archive. Are you sure that the mp2enc.dll is included in it? I can only find the azid, bbdmux, lame_enc and ssrc DLL's in there...

DSPguru
21st December 2001, 10:45
it was suppose to be in the package. anyway :
Get it here (http://rilanparty.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=215) !

Amerzone
21st December 2001, 10:57
It seems we are both online right now... ;) By the time I was grabbing the missing dll from the other thread (BeSweet + 2Lame), I noticed your reply to my post in this thread. Thanx, I'll try the vob > mp2 encoding and ac3 > mp3 encoding (with both Lame engines) tonight, when I return home, and report back here.

Amerzone
21st December 2001, 21:17
OK, I tried once again the vob > mp3 encoding (no fancy settings, CBR 160) and the mp3's produced whatever Lame engine I used (3.89 beta, 3.90 included in BeSweet 0.81 pack, the fresh 3.90 "stable") are all choppy. I also tried vob > mp2 (@192) and the audio still shutters. So, where is the bug? (probably in bbdmux?!)

DSPguru
21st December 2001, 22:05
sounds bad...
probably bbdmux :(

you could try to create a stereo wave with v0.9beta (http://dannidin.netfirms.com/BeSweetv0.9.zip) to make sure the encoder doesn't got anything to do with it...

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 10:02
Well, well... Some more feedback. I got the BeSweet v0.9 beta and tried once again the vob > mp3 encoding. The older v0.9 pack included the Lame v3.90 engine, v1.26 dated 17 Dec 2001. Funny thing: the output mp3 is totally silent :confused: If I open it in CoolEdit 2000 (fitted with the mp3 plugin), there is no waveform... The BeSweet log file says the compression finished successfully... Anyway, with the latest Lame dll dated 22 Dec 2001, I get the mp3, yet it's still choppy...

I also tried again the vob > mp2 encoding with v0.9 beta. The output still shutters :(

You proposed to encode only to wav. I used this command line:

"C:\Audio\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "j:\music_videos\clip_7.vob"
-output "j:\music_videos\clip_7.wav" -substream 0x80 -azid( -z1 -b1 -g max )

The wav I get is invalid. Am I doing something wrong here? :mad:

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 10:13
Originally posted by Amerzone
Funny thing: the output mp3 is totally silent :confused:
download the package again, as i uploaded a fixed version for this.
or simply use -boost( /b=1 /l=1 )

for stereo-wave output, the command line should have been :
"C:\Audio\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "j:\music_videos\clip_7.vob"
-output "j:\music_videos\clip_7.wav" -substream 0x80 -2ch ) -azid( -z1 -b1 -g max )

does anyone saw this letter (http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/7323/0/7343739/) ?

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 10:28
Ok, I got the fixed version now. With the -2ch switch, the wav file I get is fine, plays and sounds ok. Of course, the problems with mp2/mp3 are still there...

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 10:32
does the problem is somewhat like the one reported in this letter (http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/7323/0/7343739/) ?

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 11:10
The fellow is talking about "something like barking during playing". I don't think this is my case. I uploaded a short sample for you, so you may have an idea of what I mean when I say choppy. You could download it from here (http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/harryfou/choppy_mp3_sample.zip)

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 11:20
10x for the attachment. at least now, i know what you mean.
was the input file "vob" ?

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 11:55
Yap, it's a vob file and it plays fine in PowerDVD XP 4.0. FYI, this was from a promo DVD with music video clips (audio stream in ac3, not lpcm). Each clip was a chapter in the main title and I extracted with SmartRipper 2.41 only those I was interested to separate vob files. Btw, if you wish, I may upload for you also the corrupted mp2 file (it is not so choppy as the mp3, but it still clearly shutters...)

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 13:00
please upload the MP2 file, although i believe i already got the full picture.

another thing,
can you try extracting the AC3 stream from the VOB and see BeSweet's result of AC3->MP3 conversion?

one thing is really weird in this dirty bug,
in most computers this NEVER happens, and there computers where it ALWAYS happens.

MaTTeR
22nd December 2001, 15:57
10x for the attachment. at least now, i know what you mean.
was the input file "vob" ?

Yep BeSweet 0.81 was giving me the same choppy output. However I'm happy to say that that this didn't happen last night with 0.9. I encoded the entire 183 min "Deer Hunter" AC3 track and it worked beautfully. Now, I'll test some VOBs. Many thx DSPguru, this proggy is just really fast. Can't wait for DD's 0.5 GUI :)

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 16:20
Originally posted by matter
Many thx DSPguru, this proggy is just really fast.
:D Can't wait for DD's 0.5 GUI :)
me too !

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 19:04
please upload the MP2 file, although i believe i already got the full picture.

I uploaded an mp2 sample (@192k, encoded from the vob). You may get it from here (http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/harryfou/choppy_mp2_sample.zip). In fact, it is as choppy as the mp3 :(

another thing, can you try extracting the AC3 stream from the VOB and see BeSweet's result of AC3->MP3 conversion?

Well, I demuxed the ac3 with DVD2AVI 1.76 and then encoded to mp3 (CBR @160k) with the latest BeSweet 0.9 version. It works perfectly :cool: Now, if only I could tell the same for the vob encoding...

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 19:09
ok, so now we know the problem is with bbDMUX !

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 19:27
FYI, here you are some more info that may be interesting:
[list=1]
GraphEdit (Ligos splitter, InterVideo) + Lame 3.90 : 4,675,680 bytes (03:53)
Demux ac3 from vob with DVD2AVI + BeSweet 0.9 for ac3 --> mp3 : 4,677,600 bytes (03:53)
BeSweet 0.9 (direct vob --> mp3) : 4,859,040 bytes (04:02)
[/list=1]

Amerzone
22nd December 2001, 19:37
ok, so now we know the problem is with bbDMUX !
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but as you may recall, the stereo wav I get from the vob with BeSweet (-2ch setting) sounds ok. Why on earth the bug hits only with mpx encoding?

DSPguru
22nd December 2001, 20:46
FYI, here you are some more info that may be interesting:
[list=1]
GraphEdit (Ligos splitter, InterVideo) + Lame 3.90 : 4,675,680 bytes (03:53)
Demux ac3 from vob with DVD2AVI + BeSweet 0.9 for ac3 --> mp3 : 4,677,600 bytes (03:53)
BeSweet 0.9 (direct vob --> mp3) : 4,859,040 bytes (04:02)
[/list=1]

10x Amerzone for all this info.
so we have about 3% added noise (AGWN;))... i hope this would help me find the problem.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but as you may recall, the stereo wav I get from the vob with BeSweet (-2ch setting) sounds ok. Why on earth the bug hits only with mpx encoding?

this ISN'T a stupid question, but there is no simple answer either.

i'll check it out !

MaTTeR
23rd December 2001, 06:25
Sorry DSPguru...I spoke to soon earlier. Just ripped an AC3 track using DVD2AVI 1.82 and then I fed it to BeSweet 0.9 with the final output being MP3. I used no special switches for anything just the defaults but the MP3 is definitely choppy or broken up. Let me know if you would like my to upload a sample somewhere.

DSPguru
23rd December 2001, 09:06
hi matter !
could you put a link to a short "problematic" AC3 ? (split a little part of the AC3, don't upload the whole file).

DSPguru
23rd December 2001, 22:16
please download the latest alpha release (http://DSPguru.tripod.com).
i solved an issue related to dynamic memory allocation, and this could explain why the bug doesn't occur for all users.

let me know if it changed anything !

Mikele
24th December 2001, 03:10
I'm trying 0.91 but it's the same than 0.90 for me, choppy mp3 but good mp2. I'm going from VOB to MP3 and AC3 to MP3.

chi
24th December 2001, 10:54
hi...

i had the same problems: choppy output and 'clicks' all the time. i upgraded to 0.91 and it seems that those 'quality issues' only accour when processing from the vob files. when converting smartripper generated ac3-streams the sound is fine...

ChristianHJW
24th December 2001, 14:54
Just my 2 cents : i seem to remember bbdmux has issues with correct ASPI drivers, resulting in corrupt streams on demuxing ...

DSPguru
24th December 2001, 14:59
@ChristianHJW
did you test the floating-point quality results ?

ChristianHJW
26th December 2001, 23:33
... yes and in fact i get strange results !!

Besweet 0.81 plus old GUI from DanniDin ( dated 14.12. ) works fine on my NT4 laptop, even in 32 bits mode ?? Is this normal ? Was V 0.81 supposed to work in 32 bit floating point at all ?

Besweet 0.9 will result in choppy, crackled MP3's and MP2's and WAVs are not playable, even when 16 Bit WAV or 16 Bit PCM was selected in Azid's output options. Source is AC3 extracted via Smartripper, AC3 plays fine, no probs.

Seems as if you introduced a bug in latest build ??

Maybe this will help :

The files encoded with latest build are much louder ( + 10 dB ?? ) than those encoded with 0.81. But the disturbances are not like clipping. They sound similar to it, but its definitely not clipping as it may occur even in silent scenes. I reduced gain in azid from 10 dB down to 0 dB and the crackling sound was still there, volume was about equal to those tracks encoded with 0.81 then.

Any ideas what's going on here ?

BTW : Once BeSweet is fully operational this is the world's best Audio handling tool !! Excellent work Mate, keep it going ...

Nocturno
28th December 2001, 11:29
same problems here, if i encode directly off the vob files,
i get choppy output and "oversizing", a 2:02 movie gave me a 2:12 soundtrack? :confused: i tried it on 2k and xp, with different movies,always to the same result, i used 0.9 and 0.91,both gave me the same problem. i did use the new smartripper with dvd2avi project file support,but that shouldn't matter in respect to the vobs,should it? i didn't use the gui btw since i'm making a batchfile encoding
proggie.

DSPguru
28th December 2001, 11:35
@Nocturno
thank you for the info, i know about the bug with bbdmux, but didn't have time to fix it.

@ChristianHJW
about 32bit in v0.81,
i don't remember, but it's possible that i already supported it on v0.81.

ChristianHJW
28th December 2001, 11:39
.... is the link here in this thread ( new alpha ) still active ? Is this something i could test ?

DSPguru
28th December 2001, 11:42
hi man !
download the latest alpha from BeSweet's Homepage (and report of any change!).