PDA

View Full Version : Scart -> S-Video

Atlantis
6th July 2006, 15:01
This thing is driving me crazy. I have a digital TV box with scart output and a capture card with composite and s-video inputs. If I use an adapter and connect the scart to the s-video input I get black and white and noisy capture. And I have well set the output of the digital TV to s-video and the input in the capture program to s-video. Is there a secret s-video code that I don't know? Is it the cable?

jggimi
6th July 2006, 15:13
It's the SCART. Usable S-Video is apparently not possible even though the connections are present.

I'm in the US, where we don't have SCART, but I have seen so many threads and posts on this subject that I know this much just through osmosis.

Search here, and you'll find many, many discussions about it.

Atlantis
6th July 2006, 15:35
Yes, I did a search. I know that the player should support S-Video. I have gone into the menu of the Digital TV Receiver and there is an option of setting to S-Video. Hence why I imagine it can support it. Then when I look at my receiver, it has no other outputs, so that's why I suppose it should support S-Video through scart.

jggimi
6th July 2006, 15:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART may be helpful.

wiak
6th July 2006, 17:48
try buy the scart adaptoter and s-video from the same manufacture and meybe it will work :)

drcl
7th July 2006, 18:36
i made a DIY adapter a while back for this purpose

from what i remember scart's red pin is used for the chroma on the S-video

i think often the pins are just not connected on the digital boxes

try a different device which you know outputs s-video through scart.

dexy
18th July 2006, 01:41
There are different kinds of scart, they are looking same, but they are not. You should find scart to s-video cable that match for your tv box. I am not sure that panasonic or sony are using different kinds of scart instead of standard cable for other brands. In scart connector, only some pins are in use,other is used for communication between tv and vcr. Wires are probably dismatch pins

Inventive Software
18th July 2006, 11:16
Forget it. S-Video will not work when connected with a SCART adapter. If you have composite, use that instead. The picture is the same as SCART. S-Video only really works with digital camcorders and DVD players, though even then SCART works well enough.

MrTroy
18th July 2006, 13:16
Forget it. S-Video will not work when connected with a SCART adapter.I hope you don't mean that it never works. 'Cos that's untrue. Myself I have an S-Video -> SCART cable that works perfectly.

There are, however, two things that can't be neglected:
- the device with the SCART connector HAS TO support "S-Video over SCART"
- use the right cable. There are S-video-in -> SCART-out cables and there are S-video-out -> SCART-in cables. They're different and not interchangeable.

Inventive Software
18th July 2006, 13:35
There are, however, two things that can't be neglected:
- the device with the SCART connector HAS TO support "S-Video over SCART"
- use the right cable. There are S-video-in -> SCART-out cables and there are S-video-out -> SCART-in cables. They're different and not interchangeable.
The first one would explain Atlantis' and my problem. I had the same issue with a VCR, but I couldn't figure it out.

The second one: the S-Video cable has two arrows that seem to indicate that the cable supports signals in both directions. The setup I use is an adapter that has composite with audio and S-Video that plugs into a SCART socket. The adapter can change the signal to output or input thanks to a switch.

But I suppose what the problem really is is my VCR just don't support S-Video out!

dexy
19th July 2006, 00:13
Dont forget that the s-video is better than composite in all cases (even when you are capture from old vhs and vcr wich had recorded this tape do not support scart), couse when you re capturing using composite you get chroma artifacts. My vcr doesnt support scart so I loan my neighbour 's vcr, for some capture.
Maybe you should ask seller (if he knows) which cable support your tv box.

pandy
19th July 2006, 10:56
AFAIK also Blue primary can be used for C transmitting but much more popular is Red primary for C transmitting and Y on Video pin.
Some STB prefer Y/C on VCR SCART Output.
btw on SCART also YPbPr can be transmitted (Y on Green, Pb on Blue, Pr on Red)