PDA

View Full Version : HeadAC3he v0.15pre released!

DarkAvenger
15th December 2001, 15:32
Say "Hi" to the world's fastest direct azid-lame based ac3->mp3 transcoder...

=-0.15pre-=

- added LAME_ENC.DLL support (mp3 target) + INI options
- implemented Ligh's boost function+ INI options
- added Drag&Drop support
- various minor bug fixes and enhancements

excerpts form KnownIssues.txt:

- due to restrictions of lame_enc.dll I didn't implement profile selection.

- lame_enc.dll can only input 16bit samples, so for best quality conversions use lame.exe feeded with 24bit Waves!

- implemented Ligh's boost function as post filter for all modes except hybrid mode, for latter it is a pre-filter due its restrictions, so for hybrid mode you probably need a higher boost value to get the same effect. Unfortunately this value is dependant on the ac3.

darkav.de.vu

Rhaegar Targaryen
15th December 2001, 16:24
When LAME gets a 24-bit wav file, how good is the quality of the downconversion to 16-bit? Is dithering used? (If only truncation is used, we are defeating the whole purpose of using 24-bit waves).

DarkAvenger
15th December 2001, 16:44
Sure that lame has to truncate to 16bits? I am pretty sure lame internally works with 32bit floats.

Rhaegar Targaryen
15th December 2001, 16:54
Heh, never mind, that was a dumb question come to think of it :D

DarkAvenger
15th December 2001, 17:04
Damn, I forgot two things (minor bugs):

1.) The times don't get updated in the gui when you open a file (simply min&restore and it is there..)
2.) The filesize for mp3 target is not correct and in vbr case will never be...) and shows wav filesize.. (

MaTTeR
16th December 2001, 05:31
Another wicked fast release! Nice work man.

A question..

Am I missing the cancel or stop button somewhere? Other than quitting the program, I've yet to figure out how to stop the process.

DarkAvenger
16th December 2001, 08:25
Yes, you're right. And yesterday I thought it was high time I make cancelation possible. It is not trivial due to the buffering and stuff, so quiting is the cleanest solution, though not comfortable. I'll C what I can do.. :)

kxy
18th December 2001, 18:55
What is the benefit of using boost with HeadAC3he? I am not familiar with Ligh's BoostCLI at all...

MaTTeR
18th December 2001, 19:06
Originally posted by kxy
What is the benefit of using boost with HeadAC3he? I am not familiar with Ligh's BoostCLI at all...

My understanding is that it's the best app to normalize a WAV file. However, I never have a need for as I use the "Normal DRC" settings. This provides good equal loudness across the track for me.

DarkAvenger
18th December 2001, 20:56
No, boost has nothing to do with normalization. It compresses the sound and thuscan be seen as alternative/addition to DRC.

MaTTeR
18th December 2001, 21:11
Originally posted by DarkAvenger
No, boost has nothing to do with normalization. It compresses the sound and thuscan be seen as alternative/addition to DRC.

Thanks for clarifying that DA :-) Is it recommended to use this in addition to DRC?

DarkAvenger
18th December 2001, 21:30
Well, I just tested it but don't use it for my rips. It's up to u whether it is usefull or not.

kxy
18th December 2001, 23:14
compresses the sound and thuscan be seen as alternative/addition to DRC.

I am still not quite so clear on what it does.
Perhaps LigH can clear this up for us...

DarkAvenger
19th December 2001, 00:30
He explained it quite deeply in an old thread, so perhaps search a bit (does search work now?). Otherwise, all you have to understand is how tanh(x) works. Plott the function and you should understand, 'cos that's basically the boost filter.

kxy
19th December 2001, 05:13
Yeah, I remember that thread, but I forgot his method. And the search doesn't work. If anyone can kindly point out the link, I would appreciate it.

DarkAvenger, you are saying plot the original wav into the tanh(x)?

DarkAvenger
19th December 2001, 08:42
Not really, plot the function tanh(x) in the region -10 to 10 and see what tanh([-10,10]) does. Then you understand what a tanh(x) dows with normalized floating point wavs (range [-1;1]). The boost factor a and limit factor b are simply b*tanh(a*x), where x is your wav data.

MaTTeR
20th December 2001, 22:16
DarkAvenger,

I love the new MP3 support you have. It rocks. Lately I've found that the --alt presets xxxx seem to provide much better quality than me tinkering with the settings. You may already be aware of this but Dibrom has a new LAMEenc.dll that supports all the presets. Have a look at the following thread-

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=3603#post3603

What are the chances HeadAC3he can have this incorporated so that we can use his new LAME presets? Just a thought and wish :)

Cheerz!

DarkAvenger
20th December 2001, 22:27
To my understanding I don't have to modify anything. Just overwrite the current lame_enc in headac3he's dir with one of the modified and choose the appropriate quality setting which represents the --alt setting. (BTW, could you explain what it is all about?). I am still waiting for DSPGuru's lame_enc.dll. I hope he gets the profile in there, as well. I suggested a new way of implementing profiles into the dll and DSPGuru likes the idea as well, so he wants to put it in. Once his work is finished you can expect a marvelous dll providing nearly all the functions (and even more) of the .exe.

DSPguru
20th December 2001, 22:37
well, i haven't got to modify lame_enc.dll to support this preset. only modified it to support Floating-Point process.
anyway, i will implement DA's suggestion probably next week.

MaTTeR
20th December 2001, 22:44
Originally posted by DarkAvenger
To my understanding I don't have to modify anything. Just overwrite the current lame_enc in headac3he's dir with one of the modified and choose the appropriate quality setting which represents the --alt setting. (BTW, could you explain what it is all about?). I am still waiting for DSPGuru's lame_enc.dll. I hope he gets the profile in there, as well. I suggested a new way of implementing profiles into the dll and DSPGuru likes the idea as well, so he wants to put it in. Once his work is finished you can expect a marvelous dll providing nearly all the functions (and even more) of the .exe.

In order to support the presets I think I have to either type them in as a command or you would need something like a pulldown menu with them listed.

These new Dibrom presets now make --r3mix obsolete in terms of quality and bitrate. The new --alt preset fast standard is simply wicked fast with awesome quality results.

EDIT- I love the profiles idea as well. That will make life much easier for me :-)