PDA

View Full Version : How to join two VOB files into one?

godus
1st July 2006, 06:07
Is there an easy way to join 2 VOB files together and play them seamlessly? I have tried the ways below. None works satisfactorily.

In the first try, I use DVD Shrink, extracting those VOB files from their source and let DVD Shrink authoring a new DVD. The problem is, DVD Shrink puts them into separate VTSes, i.e. VTS_01_1, VTS_02_1. When test-running the resulting DVD, there is a pause and blurry picture at the end of each VTS when the player switches among them.

That's not what I wants. I hope they plays smoothly like two blocks of the same PGC, like VTS_01_1, VTS_01_02.

In the second attempt, I use DVDLab. I rename them VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2. Then import them into DVDLab as assets. In this process, DVDLab demuxes and joins them into a big .mpv file. After that, DVDLab builds the new DVD.

There are two problems with that: 1) Somehow the video and audio become out-of-synch. 2) When running the DVD in fast forward, the picture freezes while the counter runs.

So, those two ways are not good. I search for a better way but can't find a good authoring tool to join the VOB files smoothly.

Any suggestion or advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

setarip_old
1st July 2006, 06:24
Hi!

(I'm sure the video formats are identical) I'm curious to know if these two .VOBs contain the same set of audiostreams (in the same sequence) and subtitle streams (in the same sequence)?

unskinnyboy
1st July 2006, 07:12
Several ways..

You can use a tool called VOBMerge (http://www.digital-digest.com/software/getdownload.php?sid=58&did=1) OR use a combination of VOBEdit and IFOEdit (http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/test.htm) to join the 2 VOB files.

You can also join the 2 vobs via a DOS copy command: copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB output.VOB.

If you have the original DVD still, you can re-rip it with the file splitting disabled in DVD Decrypter. For a single PGC, DVD Decrypter will spit out an IFO file and one big-fat VOB file.

godus
2nd July 2006, 15:58
setarip_old,

These two VOBs come from different DVDs. I really don't know the properties of their audiostreams. They are camcoder homemovies and don't have subtitles.

unskinnyboy,

I'll try the suggested solutions.

Many thanks to all.

setarip_old
2nd July 2006, 17:03
If they came from the same camcorder, chances are extremely good that they each contain only one audiostream and that each audiostream is of the same format.

That being the case, either of the first two suggestions by "unskinnyboy" should work. If not, try using "TMPGEnc DVD Author v.1.6" (Use it to "Add File" for each .VOB, NOT to "Add new track").You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html

godus
3rd July 2006, 05:22
setarip_old,

Thanks. I tried VobMerge. It doesn't work very well. But the method using VOBEdit and IFOEdit works fine, except for one new problem described below.

I join 4 VOBs into one VTS (with 4 chapters) and build the resulting DVD. When playing the DVD, the FastForward and FastReverse and Next buttons work fine across the chapter boundary. But the Prev button has some problem.

When I press the Next button, the next chapter is played as expected. However, when a chapter is being played, if I press the Prev button, the navigation only jumps back to the beginning of the current chapter. It won't jump to the previous chapter.

I hope to use IFOEdit to fix that, but don't know how. First I need to understand the mechanism how the Next/Prev buttons work. Searching through this Forum so far doesn't yield an answer yet.

I hope some expert out there might read this thread and give an answer. If not, I might repost this question to the IFOEdit/VOBEdit sector of the forum.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mpucoder
3rd July 2006, 05:55
That is how "prev" works on most players - it jumps to the beginning of the current program (chapter), just like most CD players work with tracks, too.

setarip_old
3rd July 2006, 07:55
However, when a chapter is being played, if I press the Prev button, the navigation only jumps back to the beginning of the current chapter.I've found that with one of my players (a SONY), pressing the "prev" button twice rapidly, will get back to the chapter prior to the one being played.

On my Philips, pressing "prev" once goes to the prior chapter - as it also does on an old GE.

Go figure ;>}

godus
3rd July 2006, 16:55
Thanks, gentlemen.

From your comments, it looks like there's no way to force the Prev button to work as expected.

As a test, I play a store-bought DVD on newer players, a Sony and a Philips. The Prev button works exactly the way mpucoder and setarip_old describe above. It looks like that's the way the Prev button is designed for.

So it seems there's no problem with my newly re-authored DVD after all.

Again, thanks for your kind help.

setarip_old
3rd July 2006, 17:38
From your comments, it looks like there's no way to force the Prev button to work as expected.Have you tried pressing the "Prev" button twice rapidly, as I previously suggested? I still wonder: How come when I play a store-bought DVD, the Prev button works the way it should.Perhaps you are "still wondering', but this is the first time you've mentioned this disparity in this thread ;>}

godus
3rd July 2006, 18:05
setarip_old,

I tested the store-bought DVD on an old player at a DVD shop yesterday. Today I tried it at home on a Sony and a Philips. Yes, the Prev button behaves exactly as you said. So everything's fine.

Thanks.

setarip_old
3rd July 2006, 18:16
Yes, the Prev button behaves exactly as you said. So everything's fine.Thanks.Glad to hear it solved your problem ;>}