PDA

View Full Version : What is SSE2 Support?

burnselk
15th June 2006, 03:39
I'm considering an upgrade from Adobe Premiere Elements (APE) 1.0 to version 2.0. Below are the System Requirements for APE 2.0. I got these directly from Adobe.com

Could someone please explain to me what SSE Support is? Thanks.

Does anyone know if APE 2.0 is much of an improvement over APE version 1.0? I hate to waste $ if not. I appreciate your comments/input.

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 "System Requirements":

Intel® Pentium® 4, M, D, or Extreme Edition or AMD Opteron or Athlon 64 (SSE2 support required)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2

256MB of RAM

4GB of available hard-disk space

DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs)

1,024x768 16-bit XGA display

Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible sound and display drivers

DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 or DV camcorder, or a USB2 interface to connect a DV-via-USB-compatible DV camcorder (other video devices supported via the Media Downloader)

unskinnyboy
15th June 2006, 03:59
I don't use APE, so I will just touch on the SSE part of your two-part question..

SSE is a SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) instruction set architecture for your CPU. Of which, SSE2 is an improvement over SSE and SSE3 is an improvement over SSE2 with more instructions (If all this mean anything to you).

But all technicalities aside, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#CPUs_supporting_SSE2) to see if your CPU is listed in there under 'CPUs supporting SSE2'. If yes, then you should be able to upgrade. If not, then you are SOL.

sysKin
15th June 2006, 08:43
But all technicalities aside, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#CPUs_supporting_SSE2) to see if your CPU is listed in there under 'CPUs supporting SSE2'.
Or google and download CPUZ proggy (it's free and small) and it will tell you if your CPU has SSE2 or not :)

15th June 2006, 14:14
Or open DGIndex and look at Help/Detected SIMD. :)

burnselk
15th June 2006, 16:20
But all technicalities aside, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2#CPUs_supporting_SSE2) to see if your CPU is listed in there under 'CPUs supporting SSE2'. If yes, then you should be able to upgrade. If not, then you are SOL.

Here's what I found:

CPUs supporting SSE2
AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64 X2
AMD Opteron
AMD Sempron (Socket 754/939 versions only)
AMD Turion 64
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium D
Intel Pentium EE
Intel Pentium M
Intel Celeron (Socket 478 versions only)
Intel Celeron D
Intel Celeron M
Intel Core Solo/Duo
Transmeta Efficeon
Intel Xeon
Via C7

Since my computer has a Pentium 4 (socket 478) can I assume it "supports" SSE2.

Finally, does this mean my computer meets the specification concerning SSE2 that is required for the Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0?

How do I "upgrade" now unskinnyboy?

burnselk
15th June 2006, 16:23
Or open DGIndex and look at Help/Detected SIMD. :)

neuron....I don't follow your suggestion. How do I "open" DGIndex? Tell me and I'll do it for sure. You guys are light years ahead of me but I'm willing (and want) to learn. Hope I'm not a pest.

Thanks to all.

Shinigami-Sama
15th June 2006, 16:48
DGIndex is a program that last I checked was avaible from the downloads page, and seeing as how its a program you just double click it after install; simple as pie :)

unskinnyboy
15th June 2006, 17:25
Since my computer has a Pentium 4 (socket 478) can I assume it "supports" SSE2.

Finally, does this mean my computer meets the specification concerning SSE2 that is required for the Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0?
That is correct. Your processor supports SSE2 instructions.

How do I "upgrade" now unskinnyboy?

Err, you uninstall your previous version and install the new one OR install the new one over the old one if that won't cause any conflicts. Basically, same like you would do with any software. You would also find the install instructions in the APE manual.

15th June 2006, 17:44
neuron....I don't follow your suggestion. How do I "open" DGIndex? Open this zip file and then double click on DGIndex.exe:

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec147.zip

You don't have to install anything!