PDA

View Full Version : Sony DVD player reads "Disc is Dirty"

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 02:42
Lately I've been getting trouble with my Sony DVD player to play my burnt DVDs. I get a 13:00 error and "Disc is Dirty" when it is obvious the disc is utterly spotless. I even bought a DVD cleaner and cleaned through it, and it still won't play my burnt DVDs. I burn my DVDs with Verbatim DVD+R, I use DVDFab Decrytor, DVD Rebuilder + CCE, and Imgburn to burn. Everything has worked out fine in the past until very recently.

My DVD player is a couple or more years old. I've been searching for help, and some threads that come up on Google is that the DVD player is the problem. I sure hope it isn't the disc (otherwise to reburn all...). I also tried playing the disc on my PS2 (which is even older) and it cannot work. But it is also Sony, so I can't rely on that. My computer reads the DVDs fine.

Any help is appreciated! I just want to be able to watch my DVDs.

22nd May 2006, 03:09
Buy a new DVD player.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 03:23
If that's the case, then my PS2 is also faulty?

setarip_old
22nd May 2006, 03:58
Hi!

Is it just one or two specific DVDs that have presented this problem? If so, what are the Titles and Region of the DVDs?

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 04:16
No, these are not specific DVDs. They are all burnt DVDs. Sometimes, but rarely, have I ever gotten some to pass through without the "disc is dirty" sign. Sometimes I put it in again many times after and it can read, miraculously. The joy is short lived for it will read "disc is dirty" at any moment while in play, whether the menu screen or 5 minutes into the movie.

22nd May 2006, 04:26
Take the disc down to Circuit City and try to play it on one of their brand new players.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 04:30
That sounds like a good idea, but will they find it weird that I take a burnt DVD in, test it out, take the DVD out, then leave? =\

22nd May 2006, 04:46
No. Tell them you want to see how the players work with your self-made disks before you buy. That is the truth, isn't it?

setarip_old
22nd May 2006, 04:56
Unless I've overlooked it, you haven't said whether these burned DVDs play on your PC...

22nd May 2006, 05:33
Unless I've overlooked it, you haven't said whether these burned DVDs play on your PC... "My computer reads the DVDs fine."

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 05:38
Although a while ago my computer did indeed read the DVDs correctly, for some odd reason, the DVD doesn't play even in my computer. I just put it in my reader and this message occurs:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

I'm befuddled because I just burnt it just a couple of months ago. I use Verbatim DVD+Rs and burn at 4x.

Perhaps the lens cleaner I just used tonight might have corrupted the players? But my computer does not have trouble reading real DVDs. :( I'm beginning to feel afraid that almost all the DVDs I've burnt using Verbatim +Rs are corrupt.

Miraculously, I attempted to play the burnt DVD one more time on my Sony DVD player, and it worked, only to find out that while playing every five seconds has a pause, skip, whatever, to make viewing horrendous. I do believe I backed up my DVDs correctly. I wonder why even my computer doesn't recognize the disc.

setarip_old
22nd May 2006, 05:54
Now that we've established that your burned DVDs don't play on your PC either, I think you can hang your hat on the distinct probability that your burner is the culprit...

Try burning at a lower speed, if possible.

How old is your burner (How many burns?)?

What is the brand and model #?

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 05:58
Ah, I'm truly disappointed at myself. My burner, I don't quite know how old it is. I can venture a guess of a couple of years. Is there any way to check?

My burner is Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D with the most updated firmware, 1.22.

As for the number of burns, maybe 300 DVDs? Again, this is estimation that might be conservative.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 06:00
On a related note, I'm afraid the data backups my brother made just last week may also be in danger of data loss. I must replace my burner immediately if this is the case.

22nd May 2006, 06:33
You're trying to burn +R on a -R writer???

EDIT: Never mind. I checked the specs and it does +R as well.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 06:36
Oh wow, that might've really, really screwed me up badly if my writer was just a -R burner. That means practically all my DVDs are crap. But I'm curious of the lifespan of a DVD burner, or how many burns does it take until it becomes useless (which is mine at the moment, apparently.)

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 06:43
Interestingly, I found a backup I made twice, one on Verbatim +R and one on Maxell -R. The Maxell backup is fine, whereas the Verbatim is corrupt. The same exact backup made twice on the same time period (which I assume is when my burner supposedly died.) Does this mean Verbatim discs are prone to corruption?

CWR03
22nd May 2006, 07:54
You may find it pertinent knowledge that the longevity of DVD media is suspect. Two or three years is about all you can expect in most cases.

If the disks in question have paper labels, try soaking one in water for a few minutes, then drying it with only a towel and playing it. The water will temporarily relax the stress from the shrunken paper, and it should play. You can then consider removing or scoring the labels.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 07:58
I label all of my discs with Sharpie, no paper for me. Thanks for telling me how long the DVD burner lasts. Which matters most? Age or number of DVDs burnt? I'm still skeptical about Verbatim DVDs after my discovery.

CWR03
22nd May 2006, 08:14
"Media" is the disks, not the burner - a burner would probably last forever if it were in a temperature-controlled environment, protected from dust and moisture and never powered up. I've had two burners so far; the first lasted less than six months with about 150 burns while a friend with the exact same model purchased at the same time and with only about 20 burns also failed within a week of mine. My second (Pacific Digital) burner is over a year old and has successfully burned well over 500 disks without a failure. In other words, no one can tell how long a burner will last, but they tend to become obsolete when an older 2X max burner meets with new 4X minimum burn speed media.

Verbatim are typically very reliable, but again if your burner's max speed is the same as the media's minimum speed, you're sure to have a higher failure rate. As many will recommend, it's a good idea to never exceed half the rated burn speed of the drive or media, whichever is slower, and if "half the rated burn speed of the drive" is lower than the minimum burn speed of the disk, it's time for a new burner anyway.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 08:44
I see. Well, sad thing is that my DVDs are hardly six months old. My burner, on the other hand, can burn 8x and the Verbatims can burn 16x max. Is this a problem? Before I updated my firmware, I believe my max burning speed was around 4x. And the Verbatim discs I am unsure of minimum speed. This may be the cause of my stress.

I also wonder how anyone can tell when you should buy a new burner. In this case, I realized a hundred burns too late.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 09:52
Upon further research I realized that my problem is almost exactly the same as this person's:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&thread=16156501&page=1

He has the same burner and same media. I don't know if the problem lies in the burner or media or some error that I've made. But I don't believe I made any mistake in creating this DVD since earlier DVDs have worked flawlessly.

setarip_old
22nd May 2006, 17:50
Before I updated my firmwareCan you associate the time of the problem starting with the date you updated your firmware? Was this firmware update from an official site of the burner manufacturer?I don't believe I made any mistake in creating this DVD since earlier DVDs have worked flawlessly.Are you now talking about ONE SPECIFIC burned DVD? If so, what is the Title and Region of this DVD? He has the same burnerThe only reference I see in the link you've provided is to a SONY DRU500A - which is "ANCIENT" (perhaps 4 or 5 years old). Was yours purchased new or used?...

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 20:39
My firmware update was from the official site. I must admit I just only recently updated my firmware, perhaps a couple weeks ago, and before then burnt many DVDs. My DVD burner is also bought new.

I'm not talking about one specific DVD. All of my DVDs are regionless, if that helps.

The burner the threadmaker has at the other forum is identical to mine. If you scroll down to the middle of the first page you will see his replies to what media, burner, make, etc. he has.

I can probably pinpoint many of my problems; most of my DVDs that cannot be read by my computer were made during or around spring break (March). The newer DVDs that I made only a month ago (still before the firmware update) are still readable, however I doubt they can last long if this ugly pattern continues.

So yesterday, I went through a spindle of my burnt DVDs and put each one into my computer to see if it'll read. For every DVD I inserted it a few times to make sure it's a definite failure or success. If it fails, I mark an X on one section of the DVD. It so comes out that many if not all of the DVDs burned during my spring break did not pass.

EDIT: I tried this again today. By some odd stroke of luck, some of the DVDs that came out unreadable yesterday are playable on my DVD player and now, even readable on my computer! I'm am very baffled at the result. Perhaps my DVDs are not a problem... but I'm still uneasy with this result. Does this mean I must get a new burner, DVD player, media or what? All very confusing.

voo_doo99
22nd May 2006, 21:57
Does this mean I must get a new burner, DVD player, media or what? All very confusing.
I think what you need to do right away is to test you burnt DVDs on a newer DVD player [1 or 2 years old model]. Either ask a friend, or find a store with a liberal return policy [like Fry's Electronics, Costco]. Save your grief, don't hang on to the old Sony, it was simply not set up to play WELL with DVD recordable media. I knew, I had to retire two older DVD players that were like that.

garfunk
22nd May 2006, 22:17
But the problem might be with the discs itself since my computer has trouble reading some of my burnt discs as well. Then again, I'm unsure if my burner is to blame either. I'm going to create a table of what burns are successful/failures and see what conclusion I get and post it here, if I can devote that much time to that. Thanks for understanding my confusion and disbelief. It's just absurd. I'm beginning to think that the batch of Verbatim DVDs I bought are faulty...

r0lZ
22nd May 2006, 23:07
Just my 2 cents.

Despite their reputation, Pioneer burners are among the worst on the market today. And Sony is well known to have very poor error correction. Combining those two brands might be problematic.

Verbatim media are usually very good, but, as you said, you may have bought a bad batch.

garfunk
23rd May 2006, 01:25
After much debate over what I believe is the problem, I pinpointed to the batch of Verbatim DVDs I bought. I don't know if this is the case, since the same batch of DVDs consistently do not read in my of my DVD players, my computer, or my brother's computer for that matter.

I found an interesting post here, moreso the bottom of the post:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=13772341&postcount=2

that talks about many other people's frustrations dealing with "crappy" media and deterioration within weeks. Since they have similar problems to mine, I consider myself yet another statistic in that bunch. A sad sad statistic whose voice will probably be never heard if I complain to Verbatim. I just want more people to understand that in order to prevent data loss you must trust the DVDs you buy. So far I have used Maxell and Verbatim, and the Maxells I burnt at the same day as the failed Verbatim are just as readable as it was burnt to be.

I do not consider Verbatim "crappy" media, but now I know I should steer clear from Verbatim from now on, with this disgusting experience.

r0lZ
23rd May 2006, 08:48
Thanks for the warning!

However, take care at Maxell, too! I have had very bad experiences with Maxell DL-DVD+Rs! They cannot be burned successfully! If you need double layer DVDs, buy Verbatim!

garfunk
23rd May 2006, 23:02
I'm using single layer... have not gotten a DL burner yet. Thanks for the warning!

Mug Funky
27th May 2006, 08:13
Despite their reputation, Pioneer burners are among the worst on the market today.

source? that strikes me as odd, but believable.

i tend to stick to 6x max when burning, but that's only because it switches from CLV to Z-CLV above 6x, and burning in zones always struck me as a brainless idea (the error rates tend to back this up).

however, out of the ~ 10 pioneer 108, 109, 110D and 111D's at work, i've only seen one coaster burnt out of several thousand discs... of course there's been plenty of coasters due to human error and poor software (PTBurn Server doesn't do burn proof? wtf?).

setarip_old
27th May 2006, 08:44
@Mug Funkyout of the ~ 10 pioneer 108, 109, 110D and 111D's at work, i've only seen one coaster burnt out of several thousand discs...You are not alone . My Pioneer 108 just keeps cranking out good burn after good burn after good burn - both SL and DL...

r0lZ
27th May 2006, 10:37
source?
Me! :)
I have had 2 Pioneer burners, and one player, and I have had so many problems that I changed asap to another brand. My current burner is a Nec, which is just fine.
I have also read several reviews before buying my Nec. All were unanimous. Pioneer is below the average quality.
Note that I said "today". A long time ago, Pioneer was probably really good.

Mug Funky
29th May 2006, 06:47
fair enough. i know old pioneer players interpret the DVD specs differently from other manufacturers, concerning things like resume play on flat menus, and stuff like that.

also they can have problems with certain types of ac3 on motion-menus (can cause video and/or subpic to not show up), but all in all they perform better than the samsung players :)

i'll keep a watch on the burners though.