PDA

View Full Version : DVD Drive Authentication in DOS!!

dinesh
12th December 2001, 16:14
I am developing a standalone Audio CD,MP3,VCD,SVCD,DVD player in DOS. The MP3 portion of coding is done, and work is on for the VCD/SVCD part. I am using DJGPP for compilation. For DVD part, I am NOT able to find out how to authenticate the DVD Drive using DOS. Any help by reference to any links or anything would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Nic
12th December 2001, 16:25
I dont know that much about this...But if you cant get code/help from:

auth.dll (by nautilus) - www.dannidin.f2s.com/home.html
DeCSSPlus2pre3

Then your going to be a bit stuck... :)

-Nic

Paul Singh
14th December 2001, 06:11
By "authenticating" the DVD drive, do you mean recognizing a drive as a DVD drive? Within windows, its only recognized as a CD-ROM drive.

dinesh
14th December 2001, 15:34
I am not sure. Perhaps thats what it is. When a CD ROM or Audio CD is inserted into the DVD ROM drive, there is no problem in reading it. When a DVD is inserted, the content cannot be accessed easily. I think the TOC is visible, when you try to access the files you get an access error. This is because you need to go thru an "authentication" process. If someone could lead me to any site which details the DVD authentication process, that would also be fine.

cofferscuffs
14th December 2001, 15:44
But isn't DVD authentication in DOS pretty pointless as MS are trying to move away from DOS. Haven't you noticed the de-valument of DOS during Win2k --> WinXP?

gabest
14th December 2001, 18:37
Actually, in XP there is even a little improvement for DOS apps. Try banked SVGA modes. They work! (but still no LFB)

dinesh
14th December 2001, 21:37
Just to clarify. My app uses only DOS (protected mode). The standalone will not have any Windows installed. I have not checked if the DVD authentication was required in pure DOS, most possibly it does require. Once Authentication is done,DeCSS could be applied. Any ideas are welcome.

Paul Singh
17th December 2001, 05:20
Originally posted by dinesh
When a CD ROM or Audio CD is inserted into the DVD ROM drive, there is no problem in reading it.

ISO9660 FS, or CDFS as they call it in windows.

When a DVD is inserted, the content cannot be accessed easily. I think the TOC is visible, when you try to access the files you get an access error. This is because you need to go thru an "authentication" process.

Ahh! You need to access the filesystem! So, when you access this drive through DOS, you have to load a driver I assume, which i'm guessing only supports the ISO9660 File system, and what you need to access is the UDF filesystem. As I'm led to understand (and don't take me on this, its only an avenue to explore, as i'm fresh and new to this too), the disc is written sort of with both Filesystems, or just maybe the TOC is written with the ISO9660 FS which is why you can read it. Perhaps an updated DOS driver (unlikely) has the support you need to access the rest of the FS. This is only a guess.

P. Singh.

mpucoder
17th December 2001, 05:45
Authentication is the process of exchanging keys with the drive's firmware. Until that is done the drive will not allow access to anything but the directories, not the files themselves.

LIGHTNING UK!
28th December 2001, 04:31
You need to start by authenticating the disk. I suggest you look at the LIVID (Linux DVD Player) code for this, and also at DeCSSPlus v2. You will obviously need to have an aspi driver installed for this to work. Take a look at the Adaptec ASPI SDK - Search for it using www.Google.com. For additional documentation get the MMC3 (amongst others) specs - available from www.t10.org
Only some OS's (98?/Me/2000/XP) have support for UDF file systems....even then, they are buggy! (I believe XP fixed the 1 gig file size problem). The way around it is to develop your own UDF parsing...basically, u read off the sectors 1 by 1 as and when required in order to build up a picture of where files start and end. Again, look at the linux code for this.

I dont mean to sound rude, but if you cant even implement basic dvd authentication, what possible chance do you have of creating a player?!

dinesh
29th December 2001, 20:41
LIGHTNING UK you are right.
I am no big programmer. I just look around for the sources and sort of integrate it. I am still far off from achieving a player. I just need to get my basics right. I work on this very infrequently which makes me lazy. Sure to achieve a player I need to work hard.
Thanks for your suggestions, you have shown me an approach which was what I was looking for.

LIGHTNING UK!
30th December 2001, 12:57
No probs....good luck with it.