PDA

View Full Version : Segment Viewer?

mech61
16th May 2006, 00:32
I tried this for the 1st time yesterday and after doing the prepare phase I opened the segment viewer and can see several small segments 60-80mb but when I click on them to view the screen is black. So how do I know what im blanking out?

somnus
16th May 2006, 08:14
Might want to go through this thread. It's got several different ways of fixing this.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=633641#post633641

jdobbs
16th May 2006, 11:36
1. There are lots of blank segments in many DVDs. They are used for navigation.
2. Click on it and wait a few seconds... many segments start as black and then fade in.
3. Unclick "Show Extras Only" on the "View/Edit" menu. That way you can see the main feature in the editor.

There are also some other packages out there that overwrite some of the O/S installed components needed for display.

jptheripper
16th May 2006, 15:04
sorry to hijack, but jdobbs, are you planning on adding ff/rw to the segment viewer, or at least a movable progress slider? would really help identifying segments and scenes

jdobbs
17th May 2006, 04:07
Yeah -- a slider. I was planning on it for v1.10... I'm doing a little revamping of the Segment Editor.

jptheripper
17th May 2006, 17:21
awesome!!!!!!!

blutach
18th May 2006, 12:08
3. Unclick "Show Extras Only" on the "View/Edit" menu. That way you can see the main feature in the editor.Any chance of an option that has Show extras only unticked by default when DVD Rebuilder (http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/) opens?

Regards

mech61
20th May 2006, 00:28
thanks for all the help, but ive tried everything here and from the other post and it still wont work for me, I even tried Rockas Matrix Editor but it says im missing a .dll so ill just have to live with no segment viewer :(

jdobbs
20th May 2006, 13:06
Check and see if somehow the MSYUV.DLL codec has been somehow removed or overwritten on your system. The default one that comes with the Windows XP O/S is 17,408 bytes long. If it's missing, just do a google and download/install it.

mech61
21st May 2006, 01:34
No its there 17,408 bytes version 5.3.2600.2180 in the System 32 folder and also in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.

jdobbs
21st May 2006, 02:17
Well that's not it then... not sure what it could be.

hallway
21st May 2006, 06:10
I ran into this myself in the past.... I used trying to solve this as a good reason to do some housecleaning of the installed programs on my PC. First, I wrote down all of the apps I had related to audio or video, including any players, codecs, etc, etc. Then I uninstalled them all. When I reinstalled DVD-RB (first), the segment viewer worked. I eventually started reinstalling some of the various apps I had removed but none of them "broke" the segment viewer.

I don't recall if I narrowed down which program I suspected, but I may have mentioned it in a thread I started here with this same problem. If I can find it, I'll point to it.

rendez2k
3rd July 2006, 15:47
1. There are lots of blank segments in many DVDs. They are used for navigation.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I just came across the above statement. If you find black segments, should they be removed or will it mess the DVD up? Also, is menu compression quite stable and working now in DVD-RB?

jdobbs
3rd July 2006, 16:14
If you do the blanking with DVD-RB, there will be no problem. If you do it with another package, I can't say.

Menu compression should be stable. The last bug (of which I'm aware) was fixed in v1.10.

rendez2k
3rd July 2006, 22:22
OK then - I thought I’d give the new segment editor a quick test, but I have found on my first test disc (although it may have already been “butchered” – I need to try it on the original but I'm away and it all I have with me) that I can’t see some of the intro videos and warnings that show before the main menu (even though they show up in say Nero Recode and I can blank them and they show as part of the menus). I also have VTSM_MIN_SIZE=1 and VTS_MIN_SIZE=1 in rebuilder ini. Should I be able to see and blank items like this? I’d also like to add that they don’t show in the old editor also!

jdobbs
3rd July 2006, 22:25
Yes, you should be able to. I just finished sending out v1.10.2 -- if you are planning to use "Movie and Menus" mode make sure you are using that version -- I found a couple of important bugs while responding to a report here on Doom9 and corrected them on that version.

jdobbs
4th July 2006, 02:53
I also have VTSM_MIN_SIZE=1 and VTS_MIN_SIZE=1 in rebuilder ini.I personally wouldn't set VTSM_MIN_SIZE=1 except in unique circumstances. There are a few discs in which the authors create garbage IFOs just to cause problems. By leaving it at the default you skip over them but will still reencode the ones that have some measurable size impact. Sometimes you'll even find entire VTSs (with garbage IFOs) that aren't even referenced in the DVD playback. I may add some code to ignore unreferenced material completely in the next major DVD-RB update.

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 05:42
Hmmm... i've tested it with v1.10.2 but its the same. One thing a little odd is that it shows a menu thats 3 mins but its completely blank - nero doesn't show this menu. As I say though, its not the original disc and I was just testing the new segment viewer, so maybe I'll check the original disc when I get home in a few days.

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 09:27
Not sure if this helps, but just to try and show you whats missing, heres an image from DVD Remake of the menu items (the ones with X's don't show up):
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4162/dvdremake8jz.th.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dvdremake8jz.jpg)

And heres a shot of DVD-RB:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2279/dvdrbpng2jk.th.png (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dvdrbpng2jk.png)

Its a fair point about the VTSM_MIN_SIZE=1 setting, but the reason I like to see everything is so I can blank the junk and create a tidy disc which goes directly to the main menu - its not for encoding purposes. Would there be a better value to set this to?

Rippraff
4th July 2006, 12:16
As far as I know RB doesn't touch still frames like the warning you've posted above.
Edit: And if I remember correctly everything inside VIDEO_TS.VOB neither.

Cu Rippraff

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 13:16
It does show the menus though? If not, will it be something that gets added in the future? If you could fully edit a DVD (and as I said, its not for space saving reasons, its for a nicer DVD experience!) it would save using 3rd party tools and the potential of errors.

jdobbs
4th July 2006, 15:08
Yes it shows them.

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 17:07
Yes it shows them.

Sorry jdobbs - it should show the menus and the extras contained in it, or just the menus?

jdobbs
4th July 2006, 17:57
It will show every cell on the disc, menu or not (except VIDEO_TS.VOB) that falls within the parameters of VTS_MIN_SIZE and VTSM_MIN_SIZE selected.

Why not just do a PREPARE and try it?

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 18:12
The problem is then, that the missing segments are in the VIDEO_TS.VOB (I checked this by playing it) - so will the editing of this be enabled in a future version? It would be handy!

jdobbs
4th July 2006, 20:05
Yes... I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

rendez2k
4th July 2006, 22:33
Good work! Looking forward to it....