PDA

View Full Version : Colour problem when converting

dcp
5th May 2006, 20:15
Hi,

So far I am able to capture video encoding it with huffyuv or mjpeg without any problems (using iuvcr or virtualvcr with YUY2 colour format). However, when I try to convert the video with any other codec the colour always darkens and it becomes a little bit reddish. I've tried converting to divx, to mjpeg from huffyuv (both using virtualdub) and also mpeg using 3 different programs and its always the same problem. I've also tried capturing using RGB24 but it doesen't seem to help. Any ideas what is causing this? I can't use virtualdub incidentally for capturing because as I understand it only supports video for windows drivers. If I use it the file resoution is very limited.

dcp
5th May 2006, 20:16
I am also using PAL when capturing :-)

AVIL
6th May 2006, 18:59
Hi,

Could be your captured footage had PC levels (luminance values must be 0-255) and your converted one have TV levels (luminance values are converted to 16-235 range). I don't know the tools you use, and i can't aseverate this. But you can do some tests. Use the filters "levels" in virtualdub. Obtain an histogram of original video and another of converted one. The histogram is a graphic of occurrence of luma values. With PC levels, histogram shows peaks at every value. With TV levels, values lower than 16 or greater 235 don't have peak. After that test you can try better methods to solve the problem.

Good luck

dcp
17th May 2006, 20:53
It looks like it might be my graphics card (AGP). If I set video accelaration to none in Windows Media Player Options or in Control Panel the distortion disappears. It looks like it only occurs with all lossy codecs but not huffyuv.