PDA

View Full Version : Fix broken MPEG2 file?

jesus_
27th March 2006, 08:21
I recorded some video using my hardware encoding MPEG2 capture card (ati theather 550 pro), but because I was so smart to remote desktop to the tv-application while it was recording, it seems that some of the video got scrambled. Most of it (2 hours) is ok, but in the middle some frames are scrambled.

Is there a way to repair this file?

Qjimbo
27th March 2006, 15:05
That sucks, it's annoying that it still needs some CPU for it to work really, though if you give the capture program above normal priority that does seem to fix it.

Anyway as for repairing an MPEG2 file, you could try videoredo, though it's payware. It allows you to cut up video, so you might be able to cutout the scrambled part. However scrambling can cause audio desync which might still be there.

jesus_
27th March 2006, 16:14
Mmm. Virtualdub told me that i have 2 bad frames and 16 good but undecodable (which sounds bad too), I'm going to look for an encoder for vdub so I can encode in MPEG2 (it's for DVD).

ronnylov
27th March 2006, 16:15
You could also try ProjectX or PVAStrumento to repair the file.

setarip_old
28th March 2006, 07:24
Virtualdub told me...VirtualDub doesn't directly accept MPEG2 format as input. Are you sure you don't mean VirtualDubMOD?

Since you've initially captured as MPEG-2 and now know which frames are problematic, you could use MPEG2CUT.EXE to cut the bad frames out, while retaining MPEG2 format.

You can get this program at:

http://darkav.de.vu