PDA

View Full Version : Installer Suggestion for Free Version

ron spencer
23rd March 2006, 14:27
I installed the free version alongside pro yesterday. I noticed that in the add remove programs it is called DVD Rebuilder, same as pro. It may be nice to distiguish it as DVD Rebuilder Free to eliminate any confusion. Just a suggestion.

Rockas
23rd March 2006, 14:44
It's a good suggestion... I never thought about that 'cause I never installed both versions at the same time :)

ron spencer
23rd March 2006, 16:10
yah I know its wierd....but I have not tried the free version for a while....so installed it. Will try a run with it for fun. Just makes sense to ensure that its name is different. Maybe install to DVD Rebuilder Free in program files.

Again just my 0.2361 cents

Rockas
23rd March 2006, 16:23
No... don't get me wrong... you are completly right... the mistake was mine... that will be corrected :)

dialysis1
23rd March 2006, 17:00
I noticed in "Add Remove Programs" that there are two different sizes for DVDRB so should I choose the smaller one?

ron spencer
23rd March 2006, 17:03
thanks Rockas...if you upload a "corrected" installer for the free one let us know

thanks!!!!

@dialysis1...I have no idea...to be safe go into the install directory and run the uninstaller there.

wmansir
28th March 2006, 17:06
I installed both versions this week and along the lines of this thread I noticed that the Quicklink shortcuts have the same name and thus get overwritten if you install the other version.

I also had a problem with the CCE/Procoder setup program on the free version. It didn't seem to configure EclPro or install EclCCE. The Pro install appeared to work fine though. My system is far from a clean setup, so I'm sure that played some part in it.

Rockas
28th March 2006, 17:25
I installed both versions this week and along the lines of this thread I noticed that the Quicklink shortcuts have the same name and thus get overwritten if you install the other version.

ummm .... I already talked to jdobbs about this... I passed him the source codes so the ones I have now are outdated... I'll talk to him again so I can change the Freeware definitions
I also had a problem with the CCE/Procoder setup program on the free version. It didn't seem to configure EclPro or install EclCCE. The Pro install appeared to work fine though. My system is far from a clean setup, so I'm sure that played some part in it.
that's strange.. from what i remember the "Commercial Encoders" routine is the same on both Installers!?!?!
I'll have to check that out too.

wmansir
28th March 2006, 19:36
I checked and the encoders.exe is the same version for each one. I think I had installed the free version before so the directory already existed and probably had an old install in it, but the Pro install was into a new directory.

ron spencer
29th March 2006, 21:57
yes I noticed that too...if all links had "Free" and pro and "Pro" added (i.e. add/remove program names, shortcuts, etc) all would be ok.

BTW I ran the free version on something (forget...but I think it was Hook) and perfect. I used DVDShrink for movie only and the rebuilder....very nice; people should like free

jdobbs
30th March 2006, 01:32
I understand and guess we can fix it... but I can't imagine why anyone would want the Freeware version installed when they have access to the Pro version.

Rippraff
30th March 2006, 01:41
Except you are a moderator and have to take care of both versions. :p

Cu Rippraff

l8nights
30th March 2006, 04:30
I agree sometimes I find odd q's/claims about the free version that I have to check out my self, but all icon's and shorcuts installed are to pro, I just open the freeware from (seperate)directory

Rockas
30th March 2006, 10:08
Except you are a moderator and have to take care of both versions.

ummm... it think that is a good reason :o

ron spencer
30th March 2006, 17:23
yah I know it is weird, but I just wanted to try the free one for fun and noticed the quirks....was just for curiosity. I thought that even though free is free you would want it to be as good as possible....again just observations from me.