PDA

View Full Version : How to use pure DOS under Windows XP

Kostarum Rex Persia
13th March 2006, 01:00
I need DOS, from one reason? So, how can I work under pure DOS under Windows XP?

Any tool, or emulator, perhaps.:confused:

Revgen
13th March 2006, 01:04
There is Dosbox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1)

But it's mostly designed to emulate games. I don't know if it would work with other programs.

smok3
13th March 2006, 01:04
and what reason would that be?

foxyshadis
13th March 2006, 01:22
Dosbox runs whatever random stuff you need just fine, in fact they even got it to run windows 3.1. win32s is still crashy.

Otherwise, just boot into DOS with a bootdisk/cd. Nero has an option where you can emulate a boot floppy, vfd (vmware's back) can rip an iso of a virtual floppy, and bootdisk.com has old dos boot floppys. Put the three together and you get an easy dos boot cd.

13th March 2006, 01:23
Start/Run, enter "cmd" and OK. You are now running a DOS window.

Shinigami-Sama
13th March 2006, 02:13
actualy thats not a dos window: start > run > command.com is a real dos window, cmd.exe is just a command line, my NOS teacher made a big deal of it...

Kostarum Rex Persia
13th March 2006, 02:52
Ok, I will try with Dosbox. But, I heard that some programs won't work under Dosbox.

foxyshadis
13th March 2006, 03:38
Make sure you use the current cvs build, which is a lot more complete and faster: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm

Sirber
13th March 2006, 13:12
Start/Run, enter "cmd" and OK. You are now running a DOS window.That's way far from DOS. It's purely a NT commandline. Most of DOS games will not run and you will get no sound. Best get DosBox.

SeeMoreDigital
13th March 2006, 13:16
I'm not upto speed with this sort of thing but would this help those people wanting to flash RC2 drives to RC1?

Cheers

Doom9
13th March 2006, 14:12
VirtualPC or VMWare and you won't have any problem as you'll have a real PC with a real OS.

Sirber
13th March 2006, 14:27
I'm not upto speed with this sort of thing but would this help those people wanting to flash RC2 drives to RC1?

CheersThen you boot with a DOS bootable system disc? Or you use a windows flasher ;)

Doom9
13th March 2006, 15:02
as far as flashing goes, there's a windows flasher for most drives, and I'm going to clobber people over the head with a stick if they claim a dos flash is safer.. it's an urban myth.

SeeMoreDigital
13th March 2006, 15:07
I've never re-flashed a DVD drive.... so I would not know ;)

Inventive Software
13th March 2006, 15:35
OT a little:
@Doom9: That's a little extreme isn't it? Several posts in the last few weeks I've come across extremeties I wouldn't normally expect from a mod. Then again, it is your forum, your rules go. I can't stop you!

Back on topic: Maybe Partition Magic (or something equivalent) and FreeDOS is in order. FreeDOS only needs around 10 MB to work, give another 40 MB for other stuff if you need it, and there's your DOS environment.

mpucoder
13th March 2006, 15:57
The only pure DOS is one you boot. Anything that can coexist with Windows is running in a virtual machine, and therefore does not have control of the ports.
Older Windows could boot into a real DOS (they were actually applications running in DOS), but DOS does not exist anywhere in a WinXP machine.

Inventive Software
13th March 2006, 16:08
Cause it's built around NT, which was designed from the start to NOT be DOS.

arch_angel16
13th March 2006, 16:10
Networking in a single-threaded environment is "finicky" anyway, so the ports really don't matter. Besides, using VMWare and an additional $5 NIC I believe you can have direct port access anyway.

Question - what's the application you need to run under DOS?

mpucoder
13th March 2006, 16:29
I was talking about the IO ports of the CPU. In a virtual machine the use of these is controlled by the protected mode programming. Interrupts are also "reflected" which causes a delay. In essence the protected mode program is always in control, and the virtual machine is at its mercy as to what it may do.

olyteddy
13th March 2006, 16:57
M$oft also has a virtual machine program. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx They offer a free trial. You need your own DOS, though.