PDA

View Full Version : TCPMP vs MPC/CoreAVC CPU requirement?

Zag
16th February 2006, 20:16
Should there be a performace difference between these two applications? The reason I ask is because I can play x264 compressed video with TCPMP with no problems while playing the same file with MPC/CoreAVC (or zoomplayer for that matter) I can't due to much higher CPU usage (skips frames and audio lags). This is using Athlon XP 3200+. The videos in question are High Def 1280x720 with bitrates in the 6 to 8 Mbps.

Sharktooth
16th February 2006, 21:09
yes there is. TCPMP consumes less CPU cycles.

Zag
17th February 2006, 21:14
Wow, I didn't know there would be that much of a difference (and it's all the difference in the world for me). I guess I need to upgrade or use much lower resolution/bitrate.

P.S. I hope I am not being to personal but where in pizzaland are you exactly, that's my home country (small town in the province of Caserta). Right now I am in Texas.

Sharktooth
17th February 2006, 21:46
Zag, im in Fermo (previously in the province of Ascoli Piceno, now it has been "promoted" to province) - Marche.
just search for "Fermo - Italy" in maps.google.com (satellite view)

Revgen
17th February 2006, 22:07
Hmm...interesting.

I orginaly assumed that "Pizzaland" refered to Naples. Since that is where pizza was supposedly invented.

Sharktooth
17th February 2006, 23:01
detailed map:
http://mappe.virgilio.it/tc/mappa.jsp?cx=13.71762&cy=43.16178&lx=13.71762&ly=43.16178&lv=1&al=default&rtg=C&com1=fermo+(ap)&to1=&civ1=&type=3&rg=17&pv=ap&z=30.0&ct=&st=&cs=&nm=

however are you using the avc plugin for tcpmp?

Zag
17th February 2006, 23:07
Zag, im in Fermo (previously in the province of Ascoli Piceno, now it has been "promoted" to province) - Marche.
just search for "Fermo - Italy" in maps.google.com (satellite view)

Wow, small world. I had a cousin that lived in Ascoli (he has since moved). I did a search like you said and too bad you can't get to zoom in a bit more. I'll be coming back home to visit my parents in september. Looking forward to lot of eating (especially that fresh Mozzarella di Bufala and Prociutto, just can't find that stuff here in Texas).

I read in other posts that you are in a hospital currently, I hope you get well soon.

@Revgen:
You are correct in the sense that Pizza was born in Naples. Here is c/p of what many regard as the first modern pizza. But remember Naples is part of Italy therefore every Italian is considered to be in pizzaland.

1889 - Umberto I (1844-1900), King of Italy, and his wife, Queen Margherita di Savoia (1851-1926), in Naples on holiday, called to their palace the most popular of the pizzaioli (pizza chef), Raffaele Esposito, to taste his specialties. He prepared three kinds of pizzas: one with pork fat, cheese, and basil; one with garlic, oil, and tomatoes; and another with mozzarella, basil, and tomatoes (in the colors of the Italian flag). The Queen liked the last kind of pizza so much that she sent to the pizzzaiolo a letter to thank him saying, "I assure you that the three kinds of pizza you have prepared were very delicious." Raffaele Esposito dedicated his specialty to the Queen and called it "Pizza Margherita." This pizza set the standard by which today's pizza evolved as well as firmly established Naples as the pizza capitol of the world.

Zag
17th February 2006, 23:16
detailed map:
http://mappe.virgilio.it/tc/mappa.jsp?cx=13.71762&cy=43.16178&lx=13.71762&ly=43.16178&lv=1&al=default&rtg=C&com1=fermo+(ap)&to1=&civ1=&type=3&rg=17&pv=ap&z=30.0&ct=&st=&cs=&nm=

however are you using the avc plugin for tcpmp?

Better map. Thanks...

yes I am, tcpmp works great (cpu utilization is at 50-70% for the video in question) but it doesn't support 5.1. The problem is MPC or Zoomplayer using coreAVC results in cpu utilization of 95-100% causing the video to studder and drop frames. I am just looking for a player/codec cambo that would allow me to play these higher resolution/higher bitrate movies using my xp 3200+.

Sharktooth
17th February 2006, 23:19
well tcpmp is my favourite player right now even if it doesnt support 5.1 (i prefer hearphones).
try using mplayer or MPC without VMR output.