PDA

View Full Version : Sound missing on re-authored movie

Dr_Rumack
13th February 2006, 05:37
I've been trying to backup Lion King 1-1/2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E32WJ/) using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I can play the backed-up files on my hard disk with Power DVD, but when I try to re-author with DVD Shrink and keep only the main movie, the sound disappears. However, if I backup the entire movie, the sound is there.

I backed up and re-authored three other Disney releases (Cinderella, Lion King 2, and Pooh's Heffalump Movie) during the same session with the same settings in DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Everything worked fine. This is a one-of-a-kind problem in my experience.

All audio tracks in English are selected. No sound card issues. Any idea how to correct the problem? I want to backup only the main movie and strip out all the menus and extras because my daughter hates drilling down through them.

setarip_old
13th February 2006, 05:46
Hi!

When playing on your standalone DVD player, have you tried pressing the "Audio" (or "Language" button on some) button on your remote control, to select another audiostream?

Dr_Rumack
13th February 2006, 08:10
When playing on your standalone DVD player, have you tried pressing the "Audio" (or "Language" button on some) button on your remote control, to select another audiostream?
No, I only tried playing the re-authored version with Power DVD and DVD Shrink on my computer. When I got no sound either way, I decided I'd made a coaster and tossed the disk.

I'll re-author another disk, try it in my DVD player, and report back.

Dr_Rumack
13th February 2006, 18:50
As soon as I press the "audio" button on my remote, I'm offered two choices: (1) DTS Digital Surround or (2) Dolby Digital respectively, which is what you'd expect given the audio tracks shown below:

http://members.cox.net/titan_rain/scrn2.jpg

Simply pressing the "audio" button on my remote immediately produces sound and either track will play on my system.

Now that we've established the sound is there, several questions remain:

1. Why does DVD Shrink not automatically play either sound channel when I launch the movie in the bottom left portion of the screen? These preference settings seem like they would force it to play an audio channel:

http://members.cox.net/titan_rain/prefs.jpg

2. Why does my DVD player not automatically select an audio channel when the movie starts, as with all other movies I have backed up?

3. How can I re-author the movie to force a given sound channel to play automatically on my DVD player?

setarip_old
13th February 2006, 21:34
For this particular DVD, the DTS audio track is likely the default track - and your PC is probably not capable of processing DTS audio (Your standalone setup is either capable of processing DTS audio or automatically converts and downmixes it to stereo output)...

Dr_Rumack
13th February 2006, 23:41
Sounds reasonable to me. If I re-author and remove the DTS track, will that solve the problem? Or do I need to edit the contents of an IFO file with something like IFOEdit?

Matthew
13th February 2006, 23:52
Unless I'm mistaken - and I might well be - in the absence of any commands, the default audio is the first track on the disc, in this case dts.

So you can ditch the DTS, recorder the tracks (AFAIK that would be annoying), or add a simple pre-command that selects the second audio track. You can do this in IFOEdit, for example. VTS_PGCITI->VTS_PGC_n->PGC Command Table->Add Precommand->Edit Command->(SetSTN) Set Audio Stream Nr, 1

setarip_old
14th February 2006, 00:23
If I re-author and remove the DTS track, will that solve the problem?Whether you choose to use DVD Shrink to do a "Full Disk" backup or "Re-author" only the movie, you can simply DEselect the DTS audiostream...

Dr_Rumack
14th February 2006, 02:19
DTS audio track was deselected and problem solved. This has been a very instructive thread for me and I appreciate your help. The lesson learned is that it is not OK to simply select all the audio tracks in DVD Shrink. You must (1) know which audio tracks are supported by your system, and then (2) choose only those tracks which are supported. The fact that Dolby AC3 has been the de facto standard for so long is what has kept me out of trouble in the past. Lion King 1-1/2 is simply the first DVD I have encountered which used DTS as the audio default.

setarip_old
14th February 2006, 03:13
This has been a very instructive thread for me and I appreciate your help.As always, my (our) pleasure ;>}

Slogra
15th February 2006, 11:12
The less soundtracks you select, the more space will be available for the video, which improves video quality. So when backing up it's always better to choose just one soundtrack, unless you really need more than one (or when when the video is already at 100%).

Dr_Rumack
24th February 2006, 00:26
The less soundtracks you select, the more space will be available for the video, which improves video quality.
That's not really an issue on Disney movies, which seldom run over 4GB once you have trimmed the fat, but good to keep in mind for other projects.

As an FYI, I've just finished backing up our entire collection of Disney cartoon movies, 17 in all. Five of the movies used DTS Digital Surround as the default sound channel. I do not know how common DTS is among more mainstream offerings.

setarip_old
24th February 2006, 02:26
I do not know how common DTS is among more mainstream offerings.It's fairly common BUT - most publishers are now considerate enough to NOT make the DTS audiostream the default audiostream ;>}