PDA

View Full Version : MeGUI Aspect Ratio question

JarrettH
7th February 2006, 06:07
Hey

I encoded a 16:9 (720x480) movie (Broken Flowers). When I play it back using Media Player Classic 6.4.8.7 the movie looks too vertically stretched until I fix it setting aspect to 16:9 (from default). If I play it back using VLC it doesn't look stretched enough vertically and setting it to 16:9 fixes it again.
As far as I know, I just set Sample Aspect Ratio in MeGUI to 16:9 right? This movie is NTSC too.

Thanks everyone!

Richard Berg
7th February 2006, 08:24
Does the source file show this behavior, or your encodes do? What codec & container is the source file?

Inc
7th February 2006, 10:52
As far as I know, I just set Sample Aspect Ratio in MeGUI to 16:9 right? This movie is NTSC too.

16:9 is meant to be the DAR (DisplayAspectRatio)
The SAR (SampleAspectRatio) imho can be provided by MeGUI's internal cropper/scriptcreator which will be finally served to the codecs configurator.

Be aware that some apps. cant show the resulted video properly in its correct SAR if specific cotainers/codes combinations are used.
VLC catches almost all properly (avi-xvid, mp4-x264, etc).
Where MPC for instance in my tests resulted in a wrong display when avi-lavc/mpeg4 or avi-xvid was used if a specific SAR or DAR has been applied. But that also could be dshow-decoder related.

If I was you, I would stick with mp4 as in my tests everything was displayed well (no matter if MPC or VLC).

berrinam
7th February 2006, 11:05
16:9 is meant to be the DAR (DisplayAspectRatio)
The SAR (SampleAspectRatio) imho can be provided by MeGUI's internal cropper/scriptcreator which will be finally served to the codecs configurator.No no no no no! Since 0.2.3.2059, MeGUI uses DAR, as you call it. But the textboxes and stuff have not been updated (this is listed as a known bug), so they still display SAR. But I remember coding it -- I set it up as DAR.

Inc
7th February 2006, 11:40
In which codec configuration? All of them?
I did use (I hope) the latest (official) release and in the "x264" configurator I did enter "SAR" values and the final result displayed well in VLC/MPC.

PS: Im here at work, so I cant check the release number of MeGUI I actually used.

berrinam
7th February 2006, 11:47
In which codec configuration? All of them?Yep. Everything that the user can modify is now DAR. I thought you tested and confirmed this...

I did use (I hope) the latest (official) releaseOfficial, being the one on SourceForge, which hasn't been updated since the 18th of January?

Richard Berg
7th February 2006, 12:23
To calculate SAR (entered in the x264 config), my formula was:
(cropped_x/cropped_y) * (4320/4790) / (resized_x/resized_y)

If I understand correctly, I simply shouldn't divide by the output rez anymore because MeGUI does it internally when converting from DAR to SAR. Does that sound right, berrinam?

berrinam
7th February 2006, 12:34
If I understand correctly, I simply shouldn't divide by the output rez anymore because MeGUI does it internally when converting from DAR to SAR. Does that sound right, berrinam?Yep, that sounds right.

JarrettH
7th February 2006, 23:32
just the encode shows it

i'm using MeGUI 0.2.3.2061

the source is vob files from a DVD5 using this avs

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
mpeg2source("VTS_01_1.d2v")

so if it's been fixed since 2059 shouldn't 16:9 still be correct? if a DVD were 2.35:1 how would I input that in the SAR?

berrinam
8th February 2006, 02:35
Common DVD aspect ratios, and their equivalent fractions (this is also what MeGUI does):
1: 1/1
1.33333... : 4/3
1.77777... : 16/9
1.85: 37 / 20
2.35: 47 / 20