PDA

View Full Version : Missing automatic foreign subtitles?

setarip_old
6th February 2006, 23:56
I just converted my Region 1 DVD version of "Legend of Zorro" to DivX-compressed .AVI.

I noticed that the .AVI doesn't show the brief periods of English subtitles that show up automatically (when playing the actual DVD) when there is Spanish dialogue. According to both DVD Decrypter and SmartRipper, there is no "forced" subtitles stream.

Any information regarding this particular DVD, at to how to extract these specific subtitles will be greatly appreciated ;>}

Matthew
9th February 2006, 08:02
I have no idea about this specific DVD but in my experience there are 2 ways that DVDs achieve this result:
-A full english stream with some subpictures marked as forced.
-A small stream which contains only the required subtitles, and is selected by default.

If DVD Decrypter only informs you of the first case, then all you need to do is extract the subtitles for the smallest english subtitle track.

ai4spam
9th February 2006, 13:51
... and use SubRip with "Forced subs only" checked to extract them ;).

setarip_old
9th February 2006, 19:13
... and use SubRip with "Forced subs only" checked to extract themAnd that's the magic key I was seeking! The "forced subs only" setting is less-than-obviously available from under the "Options" dropdown menu, within "Global options"...

Thanks to both "Matthew" and "ai4spam" ;>}