PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer burning

-mm-
6th February 2006, 20:56
I have looked around here on the forum and cannot locate the exact info I suppose I need.

I have a movie that is a 2 disc set. The main movie with everything was done with 'DVD Shrink' and fits ok on a single layered disc. The extras on disc two apparently have some detailed graphics and effects, that need to be kept pure without encoding, so I need to have the full amount on the disc which was ripped at 6.64gb. I have purchased some Dual Layered media (pretty pricey as we all know!!) to back this data up. I am hoping it's going to work as far as the media itself is, because I have read some of the threads here and it was discussed that Verbatim is the only one that seems to work 100% of the time. Well, I just hope I don't end up with a $4.00 coaster.

Anyway, my question is this: What application is easiest for me to use to burn this on my dual layered media without changing anything on the settings as they are set default, or with minimal changes. I am not really worried about the 1/2 second or so jump between layeres... although it would be nice if I could get around that with pgc edit.

If someone can give me some more information, links etc, I will get the appz necessary if I dont have em. Or if they are shareware, please provide links and info on how to use them to achieve my desired goal. I really appreciate this because I want to make the first dual layered burn a success.

Thanks all!!! :D

CWR03
6th February 2006, 22:06
Rip with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode, burn with either DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn using the MDS file.

voo_doo99
7th February 2006, 19:00
-mm-
If I read your post correctly, your question was much more involved than just burning a dual-layer disc. Are you asking for infos on how to: (1) put the main movie [disc 1] on the first layer, (2) put the extra video [disc 2] on the second layer, and (3) burn the combined video on a DVD+R DL disc ???

(1) and (2) are not simple tasks, they require "authoring" and you will need to do a lot of research on how to put it together as one DVD with proper menu access to all video segments. Make sure to verify it on a soft player before burning.
Once you have built the new DVD then for (3) PgcEdit, ImgBurn, and Verbatim DVD+R DL blank will help you with a proper Dual-Layer burning.

HTH.

-mm-
9th February 2006, 06:46
Well, I suppose you did miss the point of the post for the most part. But I will sum it up without typing it over again, because it was rather lengthy, and you can draw info from the first post.

Basically the idea is this... I have the movie already ripped... so using any ripping app. at all is unnecessary to me. That is unless it can be used easily to burn as well. I would however prefer to use Nero to burn if possible.

So anyway, this is the story... I have no problem with burning the actual first disc which is the movie itself. This is the standard size of a 4gb disc and no dual layer is needed.

The extras disc... which is disc 2 is around 6.8gb and needs to be burned on a dual layered disc, which I have just purchased 5 new ones. These are not Verbatim brand, they are Memorex and if they will not work, then I suppose I can just return them and find some place that has Verbatim.

So, that is what I need to do.... burn the extras disc... whcih is already ripped, onto dual layered media. I am wondering the best application and settings to achieve the best results.

Thanks!! :D

-mm-
If I read your post correctly, your question was much more involved than just burning a dual-layer disc. Are you asking for infos on how to: (1) put the main movie [disc 1] on the first layer, (2) put the extra video [disc 2] on the second layer, and (3) burn the combined video on a DVD+R DL disc ???

(1) and (2) are not simple tasks, they require "authoring" and you will need to do a lot of research on how to put it together as one DVD with proper menu access to all video segments. Make sure to verify it on a soft player before burning.
Once you have built the new DVD then for (3) PgcEdit, ImgBurn, and Verbatim DVD+R DL blank will help you with a proper Dual-Layer burning.

HTH.

setarip_old
9th February 2006, 08:24
so I need to have the full amount on the disc which was ripped at 6.64gb.if you've ripped it to your hard drive as a DVD "package" (.IFOs, .BUPs, and .VOBs), just use NERO in "DVD-Video" mode to burn (I strongly suggest you use Verbatim DL DVD+R)...

r0lZ
9th February 2006, 12:51
... but if you want full control on where to put the layer break, as you suggested in your first post, Nero is really not the app to use!

Use PgcEdit and ImgBurn. Anyway, the quality of the burn is not different than with Nero, but you will be able to select the layer break position.

If you want to change something before burning, I strongly suggest to never use Nero. You can't trust it! But it is good to burn 1:1 ISO images.

laserfan
9th February 2006, 16:51
...Use PgcEdit and ImgBurn...If you want to change something before burning, I strongly suggest to never use Nero...And I strongly agree with r0lZ. Only use PgcEdit and ImgBurn for this.

I recently made an ISO and tried burning it w/my favorite program, RecordNow 7.3, and it (oddly) refused to finalize. Though not strictly a "coaster" (the files on it are OK, as backups) it wouldn't play on a set-top DVD player so I had to do it again. Cost me another $2 (got mine on sale ;) ).

frank
9th February 2006, 18:21
Don't mismatch: What you need is Double Layer (DVD+R DL) media not Dual Layer (DVD-R DL)!
Because of prewritten infos in DVD-R/DL (Thanks to -R mafia!) it's hard to handle for the burning apps. ImgBurn is not able to set the LB on Dual media as you want until now!

r0lZ
9th February 2006, 18:38
@laserfan: You could try to finalize the DVD with another burning app.

@frank: Agree, the DL DVD+R technology is far superior than the -R one. But PgcEdit is able to produce an ISO for DL-R media and ImgBurn, too. I don't recomend using this method, though. Since there will be video data written to the outer edge of the media, at a place that is extremely sensible to defects and scratches, it's definitively not a good idea to use the -R technology to burn DVD-9s.

frank
9th February 2006, 19:41
Yes, I know that PgcEdit can do it.
To be more precise: On DVD-R DL we only can use the predefined L0max capacity as LB. PgcEdit can shift the video content until LB = L0max.

CWR03
9th February 2006, 20:45
It doesn't seem as I've missed the point of your post at all. Perhaps instead of telling us the story of the backup process of a DVD set, you could ask a simple question as to a reliable or effective way to back up a dual-layer disk with the least chance of failure, to which the answer would be: rip with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode, burn with either DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn using the MDS file.

If for some reason you no longer have the disk in question and can't re-rip it in ISO mode, consult the forum rules (http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm), specifically #6.

voo_doo99
9th February 2006, 21:06
Well, I suppose you did miss the point of the post for the most part.

I did miss the point of your post, sorry :(. Most likely because it would be the my kind of problem I like to find answers for :D. On the other hand, may be the point of your post was easily mistaken :confused:. At any rate, I was not unhelpful; my tip (3) took care of your question. :)

But I will sum it up without typing it over again, because it was rather lengthy, and you can draw info from the first post.

This is the part I don't need and you don't either. Being impolite and impatient doesn't win you any friend. I can see you know how to use the [QUOTE] effectively. It you have problem with "sum it up without typing it over again, because it was rather lengthy" I can give you my last tip: "use cut and paste" :D

-mm-
11th February 2006, 03:37
See what I did now? I got a lot of people giving lots of conflicting, although very useful information, which is greatly appreciated!!!

Ok... so to start off here, I think I was misleading you all a bit when I said "dual layer" because initially I was under the impression that and type of 'double-layered' burnable media was named dual layered. So the -R people came up with dual and the +R are double is that correct?

I knew back in the day when blank DVD media came out and the -R came on the market... it was a ploy to make more money off the unsuspecting publc... but we caught on fast and did research. At least some of us.

Anyhow, enough of that. So I have in my hand Memorex DVD+R DL Double Layer 8.5gb 240 min 2.4x will this work?? Because above I read to still use Verbatim... but I think that was in response to the idea that I was using 'dual layered' and not 'double layer' So is this Memorex Double Layer ok?

Next is the burner app.... I really dont know on this particular rip if I need to set the layer break in any particular place. But like I said it would be nice to have it where there is no pause. Just to let you all know this is SWIII ROTS the extras disc 2. If any of you have ripped and burned this disc maybe you can figure out how the best way to do this is... unless default with nero will work because I may not need to change anything at all. And, if I do use Nero, then is there any thing special I need to do ?? Or, just burn away?

@ CWR03 I wasnt referring to you when I said you missed the point of my post... I was referring to Voodoo99. I apologize for not being clear on that. Although in the past when I have made posts to forums it seems that it is in my best interest and everyone elses interest to be as thorough as possible when posting on what exactly I need and what I am working with... so I would appreciate a little lee-way.. because asking with ambiguity on my part in the past has only led to answers and instructions that really were very confusing. Thanks :)

@ voo_doo99 I didnt mean you werent helpful at all. You were actually very helpful in what you said... just one of the things you said, you missed the point. I apologize for not being clear on that and also for seeming impolite and impatient. I am neither, it just may have come across that way and I apologize if it did. :) I was in a rush at the time and needed to get the post finished as quickly as possible, but had to try and be as thorough as I could as well.

I have read all the responses thus far and am still trying to figure out the best way to do this particular dvd burn. I personally do not have the original dvd, so I am working with the data on my hard drive. It has all the VOBS, IFOS, and BUPS so I am good to go with whatever work I need to do to make it a successful DL burn :) DL meaning double layer. If I need to return the Memorex Double Layer media and get the Verbatim I surely will. I live here in Southern California and would need to buy it retail in the store... so if I need to buy it I need a good outlet for it, because I have been to a few places and havent found any. I have also heard that the Japanese brands of media are the best.. specifically Taiyo Yuden if that's what the Verbatim is. Anyway, again, thanks for all the help thus far and I await any further responses. BTW I do not have IMGBURN yet... I am trying to find someone who has it.. unless as I stated earlier it is shareware and I can download for free.

P.S.
@Voo_doo99

This is the part I don't need and you don't either. Being impolite and impatient doesn't win you any friend. I can see you know how to use the effectively. It you have problem with "sum it up without typing it over again, because it was rather lengthy" I can give you my last tip: "use cut and paste" :D

You are cockier than me!!! I like it !!! :D :D I am not at all trying to be rude, nor do I take it as you are... thanks for the help sincerely!! I did read your # 3 and would like to do all of that... but still need the info as outlined above. I do get very caught up in the details... but I want to make sure there is enough info as possible, because I have seen people say things like:

I need to burn a dvd who can help?

Anyway, thanks all CHEERS!!!!!! :thanks:

setarip_old
11th February 2006, 04:05
Because above I read to still use Verbatim... but I think that was in response to the idea that I was using 'dual layered' and not 'double layer'No - If you read this again, you'll see that I specifically refer to DL +R media (Using "DL" avoids any concern about whether you mean "double" or "dual" - both have TWO layers, plain and simple. It's the "+" or "-" that's pertinent):

"I strongly suggest you use Verbatim DL DVD+R"
I need to burn a dvd who can help?Hopefully, you're kidding. If not, perhaps you should re-read the entire thread, as you've already been given several methods...

r0lZ
11th February 2006, 12:19
In short:
- Use Verbatim DL+R.
- It is possible to burn perfect 1:1 ISO images with Nero on DL+R only!
- It is possible to burn perfect 1:1 ISO images with ImgBurn on DL+R only! ImgBurn is free.
- If you want to burn DVD-Video files (ie IFO/VOB/BUP files), use PgcEdit/Mkisofs/ImgBurn combo. Everything you need is free. You can even burn DL-R with this method, but it's not recommended.
- You can find very good guides on my homepage.

CWR03
11th February 2006, 19:47
I personally do not have the original dvd

...which I suspected initially with your avoidance of re-ripping the DVD. You should re-read the forum rules (http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm) to which you agreed when you signed up to this forum, particularly #6. Any others who reply further to this thread would also be breaking said rule.

-mm-
12th February 2006, 04:21
@ setarip_old

No - If you read this again, you'll see that I specifically refer to DL +R media (Using "DL" avoids any concern about whether you mean "double" or "dual" - both have TWO layers, plain and simple. It's the "+" or "-" that's pertinent):

"I strongly suggest you use Verbatim DL DVD+R"
Hopefully, you're kidding. If not, perhaps you should re-read the entire thread, as you've already been given several methods...

I dont want to sound ungrateful for any of the help here. I sincerely appreciate the help I am given.

What you said here is DL and from what I have known in the past... it meant Dual Layer.. then recently I saw in the stores Double Layer. Not understanding the difference, I just presumed it was marketing... which in fact it is on some level, but more of a quality and usuability issue imo.

Anyhow, you did say DL Verbatim DVD+R yes... although that was not my question. It was this: Since the original posts regarding this topic a year or so ago in other threads I had read that you should use Verbatim until the others catch up. And this was about a year or so ago. My question again is still since this was about a year ago or so... does that mean Memorex or any of the others with DL DVD+R on the packaging, like the ones I have, are not going to work? From what I had read on the forums in the past, people in previous threads were suggesting to only use Taiyo Yuden.

And yes I still do notice that you say " I strongly suggest you use Verbatim DL DVD+R, but I would like some information on the others.

Addtionally... regarding the following:

Quote:
I need to burn a dvd who can help?

Hopefully, you're kidding. If not, perhaps you should re-read the entire thread, as you've already been given several methods...

You misread the context of what I typed. If you read directly above the line " I need to burn a dvd who can help? " you will see what I am saying is out of context and basically I am quoting generalities as stated when people seek help.

Anyway, thanks for your info.

@ CWR03

Well first of all here is a copy of Rule #6
6) No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content! Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated.

I am not avoiding re-ripping the dvd as I have no need to rip it again. The rip I have is just fine. This is an issue of burning, not ripping. Also, is there somewhere in my post that I said I have done anything that violates rule #6? I don't think so. If I were you I would read my original post again. Are you out to give me a hard time for some unknown reason? I never did anything than ask for some help and follow the rules as well, and you are trying to bust my balls. I appreciate if you are sincere in trying to help, but I honestly don't get that impression.

@ r0lZ

Regarding your very last post. Everything you said there is very helpful in addtion to the fact that yes... I can use the media I have... although you side with the others... which is fine :) in using the Verbatim. I have no resistance to buy Verbatim, it is just that I already purchased this media and was wondering if it would burn.. and you said 1 to 1 without doing any reauthoring. Thanks again for the info, and I will get the proper appz and have a go at it. :D

setarip_old
12th February 2006, 06:08
@-mm-

Your multiple restatements of the same questions, no matter how you've subsequently massaged them have been answered (several times) in this thread. I've not misread the context of what you've said. You seem to be resistant to what you're being told.

References to T-Y media have NOTHING whatsoever to do with DL, as T-Y does not presently manufacture DL media (Again, feel free to translate as Dual Layer or Double Layer - it's still simply TWO layers) - Again, Verbatim DL DVD+R is presently (This means as of NOW) the most reliable DL media available.

I'm afraid this thread has worn thin...

CWR03
12th February 2006, 08:49
You asked:What application is easiest for me to use to burn this on my dual layered media
which I answered twice with
Rip with DVD Decrypter in ISO mode, burn with either DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn using the MDS file.
I don't think anyone could answer your original question more accurately.

You may also want to read this announcement (http://forum.doom9.org/announcement.php?f=6) at the top of the Newbies sub-forum which better explains why asking for help with copying disks which you do not own is not covered under this forum's terms of Fair Use.

dwallersv
12th February 2006, 16:11
...which I suspected initially with your avoidance of re-ripping the DVD. You should re-read the forum rules (http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm) to which you agreed when you signed up to this forum, particularly #6. Any others who reply further to this thread would also be breaking said rule.
And this thread is still open...

-mm-
13th February 2006, 01:00
@-mm-

. I've not misread the context of what you've said. You seem to be resistant to what you're being told.

I am not attempting to troll... nor trollling... I am simply trying to get help please. I am also not resistant to what I am being told. You DID take one portion of what I said out of context, if you actually read what I put in quotes for you... and it was only that part... nothing more. As for the TY media... I was mistaken... and I would appreciate if you could be a little more gentle when informing me that I was mistaken... because you are right!! The thread I saw was just about DVD-R or +R media... but not multi layered media. I apologize for that... but still I thought it was about the multi layered... and I still thoguht TY from what I read was the goods. Either way I am fine with buying Verbatim, although in previous posts... you or anyone else didnt make clear that multi layered media was the same.

References to T-Y media have NOTHING whatsoever to do with DL, as T-Y does not presently manufacture DL media (Again, feel free to translate as Dual Layer or Double Layer - it's still simply TWO layers) - Again, Verbatim DL DVD+R is presently (This means as of NOW) the most reliable DL media available.

After reading the above quotes from you as well... it seems that you are just simply saying it doenst matter if we are discussing dual or double layer... they are both multiple layer. Which from what I gather, that they are the same, although Verbatim seems to be the only reliable media of this sort. That point was not made before. I was under the impression from what was being said by you and maybe one other that in fact double and dual were two different. If in fact they are... they I am still 100% confused and if not... then I remain confused until I get a confirmation one way or the other.

I'm afraid this thread has worn thin...

I personally dont think this thread is thin or pointless .. because I am gaining information. If one learns from something... then how can it be useless? I am learning from this whole topic, and I thank you for the help, I do just wish that you and others would be a little more gentle with people who do not know and have really truly read the other threads.... as well as what you have said.

If I understood what you said and had a good grasp on it before... I wouldnt have continued, but that wasnt the case. I think I do have it now as I said in my previous response to r0lZ.

Thanks setarip_old

@ CWR03

Yes you answered a question twice. "A" question... not my question I said burn not rip. And yes... someone not only could answer my question more accuratley... but DID!!! That would have to be the user r0lZ Thanks r0lZ and thanks setarip_old for the last post to clarify!!!

Also you put this: You may also want to read this announcement at the top of the Newbies sub-forum which better explains why asking for help with copying disks which you do not own is not covered under this forum's terms of Fair Use.

Again... did I ever say I 'did not own' the disc I wanted to burn?? I dont think I said such a thing. Please let it rest, because you know I havent broken any of the forum's rules. As I said before... for some unknown reason you find it necessary to bust my balls. If you do this with everyone who posts... I think you need to be modded, not me.

@ dwallersv

You and CWR03 are very intent on this rule #6 being broken.

Well, imho I believe the mods havent closed this yet because nothing has been done to violate that rule... as said before. You guys are the trolls, because you persist on this. I personally just wanted help... was never rude, insulting, harrasing or the like.

As far as I am concerned this topic can now be closed, because I received the help in which I asked.

Thanks all!!! :)

dwallersv
15th February 2006, 14:59
@ dwallersv

You and CWR03 are very intent on this rule #6 being broken.

Well, imho I believe the mods havent closed this yet because nothing has been done to violate that rule... as said before. You guys are the trolls, because you persist on this. I personally just wanted help... was never rude, insulting, harrasing or the like.Wow, you got all that from, "And this thread is still open..."?

Amazing.

-mm-
23rd February 2006, 02:36
Nope I got all that from what is necessary to help me understand what I need to get what I was seeking in the first place. I wasn't only commenting on your troll. There are other people here whose posts have a clear intent on helping. Yours are not. You are the one trolling here, please do me a favor if not everyone and cease.

Thank you.