PDA

View Full Version : VHS giving Black&White video & no sound

Darkwhisperer
19th January 2006, 15:40
Hi,

I have some old VHS videos that I want to capture. Not really bothered about quality, as long as I capture it. I've got my video machine connected to my capture card via an Analogue cable. I set the video to play, and then begin scanning on my application. First try, no luck. Then I tried DScaler - No luck. VirtualDub - no luck. After much experimenting, I finally picked up black&white video, with no sound, using the default application that came with my Capture card.

Is there a specific way I should be approaching this? What settings should I look out for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

jggimi
19th January 2006, 16:15
...I've got my video machine connected to my capture card via an Analogue cable...What type of analog cable? Coax with an F-connector? A single RCA connector? ? A multipin DIN connector?

If coax, you are using RF, which includes a sound signal. Not only must you set the capture card to use the tuner, and select the proper channel, you must send the sound physically from your capture card's audio output socket to your soundcard's input socket. Your capture card should have come with a short cable for this purpose.

If you are using a single RCA connector, you are using composite video. This signal does not include sound. You must connect your VCR's audio output(s) to your soundcard's input socket. Your capture card may have an audio-input socket in order to pass the sound to your soundcard via the short cable described above, as a convenience.

If you are using a DIN connector, you are using S-Video, and like composite video, this signal does not include sound. Sound must be managed in exactly the same way as composite.

If you have choice of connection type, choose S-Video first, Composite second, and RF last, since it has the worst signal quality of the three.

----

EDIT: If your VCR connection is via a SCART connector, be wary of using S-Video. I'm not in Europe, so have no personal familiarity with SCART. But after reading many posts, I am under the impression that you are better off using a composite connection, as the S-Video connection isn't true S-Video, and can be the reason for B/W images.

Darkwhisperer
19th January 2006, 19:21
Well, I think I have a far deeper problem... It seems my card may be buggered. When I tried to record normal programming off the TV(used to work fine), its still in B&W, & no sound. Restart didnt help. I suspect my card may be blown... Until I can investigate this further, let me see first if my card & PC is ok...

However, to answer your question, it is a co-ax cable (no F-Connector). My arial connects directly into my card, which gives me video & sound.

I found it strange that no one at all seems to have this particular problem, that everyone detects their VHS machine without the slightest hitch. It seems that there's nothing wrong with the VHS machine, or its signal.

However, jggimi, thanks for your prompt response. This forum is a real gem :-)

jggimi
19th January 2006, 20:55
...I found it strange that no one at all seems to have this particular problem, that everyone detects their VHS machine without the slightest hitch....:) Lots of people have had lots of different kinds of problems capturing from VHS. Some that come immediately to mind: Incorrect cabling (such as I thought might be one of your troubles) Sync signal problems causing Macrovision to be improperly detected, or causing dropped frames. RF interference using when using the tuner (which still might be one of your troubles).If you can, please consider trying a composite video connection -- that will at least let you know if some of your card's troubles might be due to using the tuner.

jggimi
19th January 2006, 21:03
...I found it strange that no one at all seems to have this particular problem, that everyone detects their VHS machine without the slightest hitch....:) Lots of people have had lots of different kinds of problems capturing from VHS. Some that come immediately to mind: Incorrect cabling (such as I thought might be one of your troubles) Sync signal problems causing Macrovision to be improperly detected, or causing dropped frames. RF interference using when using the tuner (which still might be one of your troubles).If you can, please consider trying a composite video connection -- that will at least let you know if some of your card's troubles might be due to using the tuner.

Darkwhisperer
23rd January 2006, 14:44
Well, quick update, I can only guess my problem was due to a hardware anomoly. I now pick up the VCR clearly. Im still trying to figure out Capturing via VDub. When I open the Tuner, it goes on its own mission, despite the fact that the settings are all wrong. The reponsiveness becomes really slow, making it difficult to change the settings, and I dont even know if the changes are carried out. Do I have to let it do a complete scan, then adjust the settings, and tell it to scan again(can I?)?

AVIL
23rd January 2006, 18:34
Hi,

What is your capture card (brand/model)?. Is BT878 based? ?Is PCI or USB?.

You can try virtualVCR to capture (freeware) and, if your card uses BT787 try the driver btwincap also. Seems like your card expected PAL and your feed it with SECAM/NTSC or viceversa.

Good luck

Darkwhisperer
24th January 2006, 07:29
Genius VideoWonder Pro TV. Dont know. PCI.

Its that particular tuning screen that I dont understand. VDUB(&clones) all use it, as well as VideoWDMControl2. My incoming video is PAL. Its probably set to default to NTSC. Its aerial input, and yet it defaults to cable. But its mainly annoying that its scans off its own will, and I have no clue what its doing. If someone can just explain to me how that tuning screen works, I'll be good to go.

Thanks!

AVIL
24th January 2006, 09:47
@Darkwhisperer

The chip of your card is the SAA7135 from Phillips. Then btwincap drivers aren't applicable. You can download the latest drivers for Windows XP:

http://download.geniusnet.com.tw/VIDEO/vwprotv.zip

I suggest you to use RCA input with video composite (no tuner involved, no quality loss in modulation/demulation). Almost every VHS video player have video composite output (RCA or SCART). You only need appropiate cables.

You can use S-video input also but probably your video player can't output in this format.

If you can't use composite or S-video retry to tune your card with the native application (follow the manual guidelines).

Good luck.