PDA

View Full Version : MeGUI: General Questions and Troubleshooting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Dayvon
18th January 2006, 23:29
As more and more people (such as myself) are venturing into the wonderful world of MeGUI and AVC codecs, I find myself running into little problems here and there. Being that it is best not to hijack the MeGUI Bug-Report Thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105160), it might be time to start up a general questions/troubleshooting/help thread where those with MeGUI experience can lend a hand and noobs can help each other struggle through the learning process. This way us noobs can keep out of the developers hair, and let them develop, not field each persons 20 questions and simple-settings-screw-ups.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So, to kick it all off, I just ran an encode of "The Island" through MeGUI. I used the audio, video, and muxing tool to get a MP4 file. Sounds great except the audio was out of sync :( So I'm not sure what happened. I think it might be a problem with my d2v rip or something, because I ran the movie a few days ago (video only) and tried to mux using YAMB with a AC3->AAC BeLight converted file, and have the same problems. I've never heard of DGIndex screw ups though. So is that the problem, or is it in the AC3->AAC conversion, or the MP4 muxing? Either way has anyone heard of audio sync problems with MeGUI using the auto-encode mode?

And more to the point, does anyone know how best to figure out how much I need to delay the audio? At this point, it might be best to demux the tracks and try to remux them with delay. I don't know, anyone got any ideas?

Doom9
18th January 2006, 23:31
But either way has anyone heard of audio sync problems with MeGUI?
Many times.. one would be AVC in AVC and the delay you get from b-frames, other would be an incorrect fps set during muxing (that's why we have a logfile so that you can see it and reproduce the results even after exiting the software.. if there's no fps set.. mp4box assumes 25 fps). These are the two most common reasons.

Dayvon
18th January 2006, 23:36
So how is it in MeGUI that you set the frame rate for the video before the muxing (using auto-encode mode)? or compensate for the b-frame delays? Or is that stuff yet to be done?

EDIT: I think you meant AVC in AVI.... And I totally understand that.

lexor
18th January 2006, 23:53
when you say you ran an encode, what was the source? if you have DGIndex in your chain and you created a .d2v project file for use with mpeg2source, you'd have audio demuxed for you, and the file name should contain the delay.

having said all that I never re-encode audio, and I use mkvmerge to mux AC3 into mkv and I set delay in mkvmere's main window, but if when you re-encode delay changes, than this is of no help I suppose.

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 00:03
Well I'm trying to use the MP4 container (which is giving no end of troubles...), but to answer your question, yes, I did have audio demux with 0ms in the file name using DGIndex. I tried converting this via BeLight and then muxing to video, and have tried it now using MeGUI's audio tool, and both have the audio and video out of sync upon muxing.

Using YAMB I can see that the video is 02:16:02.662 and the audio is 02:16:01.045__ Does this look like a fps issue or b-frame issue, or something else?

lexor
19th January 2006, 00:20
well remuxing is fast, so just try what doom said about setting fps manually, that should give you a quick answer if it's an fps issue :)

bond
19th January 2006, 00:28
maybe megui's muxer should force the user to set a fps when converting raw .264 to .mp4 so thats finally solved...

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 00:38
Ok. So here's what I did.

I extracted the raw streams from my file (using YAMB) and set them to mux with the video frame rate forced to 23.976. This is the log that I got from Mp4box....

Stream uses B-slice references - max frame delay 2
AAC import - sample rate 48000 - MPEG-4 audio - 6 channels

Saving E:\Temp Video\The Island - RAW Mux.mp4: 0.500 secs Interleaving

But the file still is off sync. I'm gonna try and manually fix the delay, to see if its a progressive delay or an initial delay.

BTW: does everyone have this much trouble with MeGUI, MP4 stuff or am I just cursed, or just stupid?

Richard Berg
19th January 2006, 00:44
What are you using to test? I've sometimes had sync issues using VLC that didn't repro with Haali + ffdshow.

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 00:46
Media Player Classic -> Haali Splitter -> Core AVC -> FFdShow
Media Player Classic -> Haali Splitter -> FFdShow Audio

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 01:22
Ok this is cool... or not.

So I use YAMB to remux the raw h264 and aac streams, and I set the delay for the difference in the file length. Well, needless to say, it seems the delay setting in YAMB is not working. I ran the remux with 1617ms in the delay spot as well as 0ms, and both files are identical. So I don't know what the heck to do anymore.

I'll post again if I come up with something.

JarrettH
19th January 2006, 01:37
There's too many MeGUI threads!!:D

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 03:48
The point of this thread is to cut down on those threads by keeping the general troubleshooting under one thread instead of a new one for every person who doesn't know what to do.

Doom9
19th January 2006, 06:42
maybe megui's muxer should force the user to set a fps when converting raw .264 to .mp4 so thats finally solved...It does just that.. always has.

Morte66
19th January 2006, 17:41
When I set the program location for BeSweet, MeGUI says "Make sure bse_FAAC.dll and faac.exe are in your BeSweet directory (etc)".

I found faac.exe, but does anyone know what the correct version of bse_FAAC.dll is and where to download it?

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 18:27
When I set the program location for BeSweet, MeGUI says "Make sure bse_FAAC.dll and faac.exe are in your BeSweet directory (etc)".

I found faac.exe, but does anyone know what the correct version of bse_FAAC.dll is and where to download it?

If you have the Nero AAC codec (NAAC), then you shouldn't need to worry about it because you can use that. Sorry I don't know where to find the .dll youre looking for.

BTW - I finally figured out how to solve the a/v sync problems. YAMB wouldn't delay the audio when muxing even though it has the option listed, so I checked in BeLight to see if I could set the delay there where the aac file is made. Thankfully, BeLight did make an aac file with the delay and then when I muxed using YAMB it worked great. So temp solution to my problem is fixed.

I'm running another encode right now. Same process, DGIndex -> AVS file -> MeGUI (auto-encode mode) to see if the same problem crops up again, or see if it was just a weird one-time issue.

Morte66
19th January 2006, 21:10
If you have the Nero AAC codec (NAAC), then you shouldn't need to worry about it because you can use that.

I wanted to compare sound quality -- I may not be much of a video encoder, but I'm a hi-fi nut like you wouldn't believe. ;)

Sorry I don't know where to find the .dll youre looking for.

Got the bugger, it's included in the BeLight (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=85566) install. Now I can compare Nero to FAAC to iTunes to AutoUV's Ogg encoder.

lexor
19th January 2006, 21:14
Anothe question:

When I load AC3 int meGUI full, is there a way to just make it mux into mkv, it always seem to require bitrate setting and I'm thinking that's for re-encoding. But I never need to mess with audio, so how would I just go about setting it to mux without re-encode?

becouse right now I use mkvmergeGUI to mux ac3 after meGUI completes the video job.

Morte66
19th January 2006, 21:21
Anothe question:

When I load AC3 int meGUI full, is there a way to just make it mux into mkv, it always seem to require bitrate setting and I'm thinking that's for re-encoding. But I never need to mess with audio, so how would I just go about setting it to mux without re-encode?

becouse right now I use mkvmergeGUI to mux ac3 after meGUI completes the video job.

On the "Tools" menu in MeGUI there is a submenu called "Muxer", which does MeGUI's mux control without the encoding part. That will let you set up a job to mux the AC3 audio and MPEG4 video, and put it in MeGUI's job queue. You need to finish the video encode first -- it won't mux files that don't exist yet.

Which brings to mind a feature request...

Doom9
19th January 2006, 21:21
But I never need to mess with audio, so how would I just go about setting it to mux without re-encode?

becouse right now I use mkvmergeGUI to mux ac3 after meGUI completes the video job.Go to the tools menu - muxer - mkv muxer. This is your access ot the mkv muxer. And the next time you're encoding, make use of the autoencoding mode.. then when you're in the window where you define the name of your final file, you can check a checkbox at the bottom.. then when you press queue, the muxer window comes up again, with certain things already filled in.. then you can select your AC3 file.. that way it will only be muxed.

lexor
19th January 2006, 21:24
Go to the tools menu - muxer - mkv muxer. This is your access ot the mkv muxer. And the next time you're encoding, make use of the autoencoding mode.. then when you're in the window where you define the name of your final file, you can check a checkbox at the bottom.. then when you press queue, the muxer window comes up again, with certain things already filled in.. then you can select your AC3 file.. that way it will only be muxed.
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode? or better yet ask me for delay and be done with it. (i.e. I hit Queue now)

buggers :(

Morte66
19th January 2006, 21:40
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode? or better yet ask me for delay and be done with it. (i.e. I hit Queue now)

On the bright side, this also lets you select subtitles and chapter lists to be muxed in when you kick off the job.

Dayvon
19th January 2006, 22:13
I just finished another auto-encode job and this one is terribly of sync. Something like 5 sec.

I'm not sure what the deal is cause it shouldn't be having this much issue I don't think. Would I be better off trying to do mkv files? I'd really like to do mp4, but if my h264 files keep being made soooo out of sync with the audio, I just don't know. Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong?

Doom9
20th January 2006, 10:15
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode?that's right.. it would add a great deal of redundancy since this feature (plus subs / chapters / splitting) since this is what auoto mode is all about. manual mode is just encoding one file.

Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong?not compensating for delay? playback problems? mux the encoded content to another container.. if it's still asynch it's your sources.. if not, it's the way you mux or your playback mechanism

Morte66
20th January 2006, 14:16
Now I can compare Nero to FAAC to iTunes to AutoUV's Ogg encoder.

Some completely unscientific, subjective and personal feelings on the results of re-encoding AC3 192...

- HE-AAC 96 sucks, but it's half the size. You pays your bitrate and you takes your choice. I think this encoder has no place in backup to DVD-R if you care enough about sound to read this post. But it might be a godsend at 64-96kbps if you want to encode a movie to CD size.

- FAAC VBR 100% dropped the size by about a third and sounded pretty close to the original. Workflow was painless. If you want to drop six channels of AC3/DTS to two, or to encode LPCM, this is straightforward with good results. It's better value in "quality per kbps" terms than stereo AC3, but I think I'd just remux the source -- it's a luxury, but no biggie on DVD-R.

- iTunes AAC is better than FAAC, but only a little. If you care about a difference this small, you probably ought to keep the original audio. Workflow is inevitably clunkier with MeGUI since you have to go outside.

- Current Ogg builds (not the obsolete official Vorbis encoder) are about level with AAC for quality@bitrate, but give you the organic tone of Ogg instead of the "gleaming" AAC sound. Each to his own. Again, a bit clunky with MeGUI.

SBaT
20th January 2006, 15:44
Is it normal to have 222 596k memory usage for megui and 110 904k for x264.
x264 memory usage can I understand but megui memory usage sounds quite large :confused: Second pass is going at 9,5%.

Dayvon
20th January 2006, 15:58
not compensating for delay? playback problems? mux the encoded content to another container.. if it's still asynch it's your sources.. if not, it's the way you mux or your playback mechanism

1. The delay compensation needed is detected and set by DGIndex. So I would think that the delay would be listed. The file I rendered had -16ms delay according to the ac3 file name, which was compensated for.

2. I'm sure its not a playback async. I've got other files that are similarly encoded that aren't having this problem and I have been able to use MPC to set the delay factor and find how "off" the audio is.

3. It could be the source DVD... Proof Of Life had a interesting intro piece that I think could have fouled up the encode. Some of the intro (namely the rated R screen) I think was in VOB1_8 and then inserted at the beginning which might have thrown DGIndex, But I know that that was not the case with 'The Island' rip which also had this same problem.

4. The way I muxed was auto-encode on MeGUI :) .

Well, I'm gonna do another rip, not auto-encode mode but manual, and see if that comes out any better.

@Morte -
I'm pretty anal about audio too (i.e. I HATE 128kbps MP3's). I can hear the artifacing really well. So far, I've been very happy using NAAC 5.1 LC AAC at the streaming setting. It doesn't ruin the vocal quality, yet is a bit smaller than the AC3 file itself. If your are using mkv, you might as well just keep the AC3, but if you are going MP4 and want surround, this is the setting I recommend.

Morte66
20th January 2006, 16:10
Is it normal to have 222 596k memory usage for megui and 110 904k for x264.
x264 memory usage can I understand but megui memory usage sounds quite large :confused: Second pass is going at 9,5%.

I've got megui using 23072k doing nothing. Your x264 sounds about right.

SBaT
20th January 2006, 16:37
Second pass status shows now 21% and megui.exe shows now 3156k ??
Taskmanagers PF Usage shows steady 1,03GB usage. Well I guess its just XP loosing memory to something that dosent show up in processes.

Doom9
20th January 2006, 17:01
Well, .NET manages memory an its own, but eating up 200MB.. that's 60MB more than my whole Visual Studio 2005 needs when I'm debugging the application I'm currently working on.

digidragon
20th January 2006, 18:13
When downloading a new build of MeGUI, should we be getting the latest version of x264.exe too? Or is backwards-compatibilty maintained..?

Richard Berg
20th January 2006, 19:03
There's no guarantee that all checkboxes in the MeGUI x264 config page will be supported by old versions of x264. If you're using the same profile as before the upgrade, you should be fine.

digidragon
20th January 2006, 19:59
So to be sure, should we get the latest bulid of x264? Or how do we know which version the MeGUI developers are developing with?

Doom9
20th January 2006, 20:04
Or how do we know which version the MeGUI developers are developing with?Well.. x264 is a small part of MeGUI.. Sharktooth mentions when he bundles a new MeGUI build and what new features it supports. If the x264 changelog of version X mentions a new commandline switch, it simply won't be accessible until a new megui build that includes that switch in the changelog is being made. You can be sure that the megui version that comes bundled with the popular x264 distributions will work together just fine. Personally, I often use older x264 builds (I don't encode except for development purposes and codec comparison).

Unless you're using a build supporting Sharktooth's patches with a CVS build (b0bor), you'll never run into problems. Not sure if that answers your question though. We can't say verision X of megui is compatible with version Y of x264.. megui is compatible with every x264 build.. it's the number of supported options that varies.

DigitalDivide
21st January 2006, 06:48
I see that the latest versions of MeGUI require .net2. Unfortunately I am running Meedio and .net 2 has some issues with Meedio so I have to stick with .net 1.1. Just wondering what is the last version of MeGUI that works under 1.1 and where can I get it? I am currently using version 2.3.1024.

Doom9
21st January 2006, 12:36
I am running Meedio and .net 2 has some issues with Meedio so I have to stick with .net 1.1.And meedio would be what? a .net 1.1 app? Just install the 2.0 framework and leave the 1.1 on your machine. Applications will pick the proper framework all by themselves.. you will have zero problems (trust me.. I do it at work and I have written and have to maintain 1.1 apps along with 2.0 apps).

The Link
21st January 2006, 14:40
Is it intentional that when selecting MP3 as audio codec you can only configure one audio stream? (With Nero AAC you can configure 2)

Doom9
21st January 2006, 14:57
Is it intentional that when selecting MP3 as audio codec you can only configure one audio stream?Yup.. comes from AVI not supporting more than one audio stream (well.. it does, but my muxer can't handle it).

The Link
21st January 2006, 15:13
OK, I understand this problem for the main GUI. But in the AutoEncode dialog this limitation doesn't exist imho because you select the container in which all the encoding results will be muxed into. It's just sad that it doesn't accept virtual inputs, i.e. if there are mp3 encoding jobs already in the queue you can select the outputs to be expected. But I also see users b0rk things because of changing the order of the jobs etc... Seems I have to live with that limitation.

There also seems to be a bug: When MP3 is selected there is only one stream configurable (which is intended), then change to FAAC and there is still only one stream configurable. If you first choose nero aac and then faac you can configure 2 streams for faac.

Poutnik
21st January 2006, 15:25
Is MeGUI_X264 intended for Win98SE user too?
I can use vfw interface and encode by VirtualDub.
When I was curious I downloaded .NET 2.0 ( had previous 1.1 )
and launched MeGUI x264 ( latest Sharktooth rev 406, MeGUI 0.2.3.2033 ),
It worked well ( choosing avs files, config setting, video preview..).
But always crashed when pressing queue button in input tab.
On Sourceforge page for full MeGUI is not win98 mentioned as supported OS.
So I am unsure, if I had something on my PC, or just bad OS...

Crash screen snaphot is uploaded to http://rapidshare.de/files/11495986/MeGUI_crash.jpg.html

Doom9
21st January 2006, 16:18
argh.. the new board upgrade has one major drawback.. move away from a page, come back and you lose what you've typed in quickreply.

Anyway, go to a commandprompt, type set, and look if you have an environment variable called
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2

(well, the part after the = can vary of course.. this is my X2)

Let me know if you have it, what it says if you have it, or if you don't have it. If you don't have it (I suspect that), go to the settings, and try unchecking "Automatically set number of threads".

And as far as W98 support goes.. if it works, good for you, if it doesn't, tough luck. But other than this thingie here, I suspect it'll work.. how well of course depends on how well the .NET framework works on W98 and what options it supports. It could be that things using multiple threads might not work so well on a system that still halfway bases on a 16 bit core never meant for real multitasking.

DigitalDivide
21st January 2006, 17:13
And meedio would be what? a .net 1.1 app? Just install the 2.0 framework and leave the 1.1 on your machine. Applications will pick the proper framework all by themselves.. you will have zero problems (trust me.. I do it at work and I have written and have to maintain 1.1 apps along with 2.0 apps).

Meedio is a frontend htpc app much like MCE. Unfortunately a number of users there have reported a number of problems with plugins to the main app, they have both on their system or simply net 2. We are waiting for Meedio Dev to give up an update on the issue. Hence why I have to stick with net 1.1 for now until it's addressed. Being my htpc where I play my movies and music etc I don't want to kill anything. I wish I had two pc's.

Is there a place I can find the latest version of MeGUI that works with 1.1?

Doom9
21st January 2006, 17:20
Is there a place I can find the latest version of MeGUI that works with 1.1?No, we don't keep them. I have a hard time believing that having both frameworks installed would cause any problems... an extremely hard time even.

Richard Berg
21st January 2006, 17:26
As I've mentioned before, I have over 15 versions of the framework installed on one of my work machines...it's nothing to worry about.

DigitalDivide
21st January 2006, 17:28
No, we don't keep them. I have a hard time believing that having both frameworks installed would cause any problems... an extremely hard time even.

Well since a number of users have complained about problems right after installing net2 I think I'll stay away from it until everything is worked out. I learnt early on it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to my htpc. I'll stick with my old version of MeGUI. Thanks anyhow.

Doom9
21st January 2006, 17:31
I'm quite sure those people did what you normally do when installing new software... uninstall the old first.

Poutnik
21st January 2006, 19:06
Anyway, go to a commandprompt, type set, and look if you have an environment variable called
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2

(well, the part after the = can vary of course.. this is my X2)

Let me know if you have it, what it says if you have it, or if you don't have it. If you don't have it (I suspect that), go to the settings, and try unchecking "Automatically set number of threads".

Well,there was not such enviroment variable.
After unchecking "Automatically set number of threads" I have SUCCESSFULLY added job to queue and than
started to encode.
AVI by VfW plays fine, now to find what plays MP4 ( Neither my favourite MV2Player nor WMP 9 can do it )
Now I wil try MKV ( have Matroska pack been installed )

Thank, oh big lord Doom9 :-)

Doom9
21st January 2006, 19:30
now to find what plays MP4 You need to install the proper filters. For starters.. ffdshow or coreavc for x264 decoding, and the haali splitter.

Morte66
22nd January 2006, 14:11
Can anybody outline the impact of the "Automatic Deinterlace" checkbox in the One Click Encoder dialogues?

If I check it, will I get the sort of deinterlacing I would expect in a Robot4Rip job using DGIndex?

If I don't check it, what happens? Interlaced video gets fed to x264, or...?

Doom9
22nd January 2006, 14:30
Ever used autogk? Automatic Deinterlace does just that.. analyze the source, if it's found to be interlaced, the proper deinterlace filter will be applied. This is not the same as force film (as in robot4rip).. that functionality is provided by the d2v project creator (and the configuration in the settings). The two are mutually exclusive.. if automatic force film finds that force film can be applied, the output is progressive.. so automatic deinterlace won't do anything.. if force film cannot be applied, then automatic deinterlace could deinterlace or ivtc depending on the source properties.

If you use neither functionality and your source is interlaced.. then yes, the encoder will be fed with an interlaced signal.

Morte66
22nd January 2006, 14:51
Ever used autogk? Automatic Deinterlace does just that.. [...]

Thanks. I figure I should turn that on by default for PAL DVD backup, right?

twist3d
22nd January 2006, 15:42
sorry if this is already posted (looked for it and didn't find anything :P) but
there seems to be error in deblock filter selection (if I understanded akupenguin's reply right ;)),
look at my question at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=772941#post772941

Doom9
22nd January 2006, 15:51
I figure I should turn that on by default for PAL DVD backup, right?No, only when unsure about the source. E.G. if you know force film has been done, you know the thing is progressive.. if you have a PAL movie and the d2v preview looks progressive.. there's no need to worry either.

Morte66
22nd January 2006, 16:08
No, only when unsure about the source. E.G. if you know force film has been done, you know the thing is progressive.. if you have a PAL movie and the d2v preview looks progressive.. there's no need to worry either.

I'm getting a bit confused, here -- when I set/clear this checkbox I haven't looked at any video at all, and no apps (DGIndex, Avisynth filters, or whatever the heck One Click Encoder uses) have been run.

Maybe it'll become clear if I do a little test... * goes off to play *

Poutnik
22nd January 2006, 22:27
You need to install the proper filters. For starters.. ffdshow or coreavc for x264 decoding, and the haali splitter.
i have FFDshow already installed ( in other case I supposed would not be able do see avi/x264. Haali is next turn .... Thanks for help.

cc979
3rd February 2006, 00:50
i've re-install windows, avisynth and megui and that
i setup megui plugins using "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins"

but it wants decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" is that normal or a little bug ?

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 01:06
Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.

Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ? If not then open the AVS file with Notepad and erase the line that will say something like:

Decomb()

If you do need to decomb, then you have the decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" folder, so you could make the path that MeGUI is searching for and put the decomb.dll there.

berrinam
3rd February 2006, 06:47
i've re-install windows, avisynth and megui and that
i setup megui plugins using "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins"Per the MeGUI Guide, 'avisynth plugins' is no longer used.
I think that pretty much answers your question.

MeGUI forces (to some extent, but not completely) you to use the AviSynth plugins directory, because that is generally a good idea -- it avoids bloating your scripts, and makes writing scripts easier, because there are fewer directory paths that you have to worry about.

Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.That's not necessary, as I explained above

Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ?Actually, Decomb is used for the source detection, so it is required anyway. The source detection script is generated differently from all the other scripts, and (at the moment) doesn't allow any flexibility in where decomb.dll is. It must be in the AviSynth plugins directory. End of story.

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 07:25
Actually, Decomb is used for the source detection, so it is required anyway. The source detection script is generated differently from all the other scripts, and (at the moment) doesn't allow any flexibility in where decomb.dll is. It must be in the AviSynth plugins directory. End of story.

Right, that is assuming you use MeGUI to generate your scripts, and further, you use the detection script. I don't generally, which is why I asked. No need to use source detection if you already did that in DGIndex :D

berrinam
3rd February 2006, 07:41
No need to use source detection if you already did that in DGIndex :DI think I cleared this up for someone else a little while ago: what DGIndex reports is based on the flags in the bitstream headers, whereas MeGUI's source detection actually analyses the video. While the end results will be the same for most DVD sources, those in which the bitstream flags don't match the video content will be detected correctly by MeGUI's source detection, but not by DGIndex. This is often the case with DVB sources, and it can also happen with badly mastered DVDs.

Of course, I'm not saying that you HAVE to use it, I just want to point out that MeGUI's source detection is actually more advanced, and consequently more accurate than DGIndex's.

I merely mentioned source detection, because that is the only place in MeGUI where you HAVE to put Decomb.dll in the AviSynth plugins directory, and it is also the only place where a specific Decomb.dll message will show if you haven't so I thought that it was likely that cc979 was getting his problems from that direction.

Shinjite
3rd February 2006, 08:55
I am wondering if there is a problem with Xvid encoded files with MeGUI 0.2.3.1058? I can't seem to play it with any DS application players like MPC and etc. But I am able to view it with Mplayer without problems, what is the problem with it?

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 08:56
I think I cleared this up for someone else a little while ago: what DGIndex reports is based on the flags in the bitstream headers, whereas MeGUI's source detection actually analyses the video. While the end results will be the same for most DVD sources, those in which the bitstream flags don't match the video content will be detected correctly by MeGUI's source detection, but not by DGIndex. This is often the case with DVB sources, and it can also happen with badly mastered DVDs.

Of course, I'm not saying that you HAVE to use it, I just want to point out that MeGUI's source detection is actually more advanced, and consequently more accurate than DGIndex's.

I merely mentioned source detection, because that is the only place in MeGUI where you HAVE to put Decomb.dll in the AviSynth plugins directory, and it is also the only place where a specific Decomb.dll message will show if you haven't so I thought that it was likely that cc979 was getting his problems from that direction.

Point taken. Knowledge gained. Doom9 forum rules :thanks:

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 08:59
I am wondering if there is a problem with Xvid encoded files with MeGUI 0.2.3.1058? I can't seem to play it with any DS application players like MPC and etc. But I am able to view it with Mplayer without problems, what is the problem with it?

Which version of Xvid are you using? I assume xvid_encraw which is under heavy development still. But that info is essential to helping you out! As is what splitter and decoder you have installed (FFdShow? Haali Media Splitter?), and what file container (mp4,avi,mkv) your video is in. More info plz :D

Shinjite
3rd February 2006, 09:10
Which version of Xvid are you using? I assume xvid_encraw which is under heavy development still. But that info is essential to helping you out! As is what splitter and decoder you have installed (FFdShow? Haali Media Splitter?), and what file container (mp4,avi,mkv) your video is in. More info plz :D.

I am using mencoder 20060101 to encode the Xvid file. Output will be in 1:1. FFDShow Nov 29 installed with Haali Media Splitter Nov 25 build and the file is encoded into an .avi file. Encoding is fine but the final output can't be viewed with MPC, WMP and the likes of it. Mplayer can play it though.....

The funny thing is, if I encode it halfway through and aborts the file ( I select don't delete aborted outputs in Megui ) and view the file, the file can be viewed through MPC...:weird:, but a 100% encode can't be viewed

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 09:23
In mencoder you are encode via VfW or CLI? I don't use mencoder, so I don't know. But I do know that you can't just place Mpeg4 CLI encoded video into AVI files. There are errors when it Directshow tries to render the frames. Try to place your Xvid encode inside a MP4 container using YAMB. This should help you see if its your video, or if its your video in wrong container.

If it does play in MPC after you mux to MP4, then that means that you will have to convert the Xvid file to an AVI compatible file (which I don't know what program does that, maybe AVC2AVI?). If it doesn't play, then your file is borked in some weird way...

That's my best guess, and probably not a good one. But at least a start :o

Shinjite
3rd February 2006, 09:30
Using CLI here but my previous builds all can be viewed properly. This 1 I can't get it to view only (its a DVD rip 1 hour 48 minutes), looks like I need to PM the experts on this and see what is wrong.

Tested with a 1 minute clip, no problem at all....hmmm....hmmmm

Inc
3rd February 2006, 09:30
In regular there are no problems when using mencoders integrated avi muxer.
Show us the generated mencoder commandline in the logfile/window and if its all right ... then try a different mencoderbuild and see if it helps.

Shinjite
3rd February 2006, 09:32
Currently I don't the log with me, in my cousin's place. I will show it later when I get back
I will test it with the Nov 23rd build of mencoder also and see what is wrong with it

Doom9
3rd February 2006, 09:38
Well.. I'm afraid the mencoder muxer isn't all that it's cracked up to be. At least muxing raw asp/avc streams into avi gives you something that only mplayer can play. If encraw finally comes to a stable state, I'm going to replace mencoder with it. BTW, what's your output? AVI or MP4? MP4 shouldn't be a problem, Matroska neither.. but I've heard previous reports of mencoder, XviD and AVI being a problem.. that's why I'm considering other muxers (but those thoughts haven't progressed very far).

BTW, @Dayvon: just because nobody said anything, we didn't miss your icon so let me say thanks at this juncture.

Shinjite
3rd February 2006, 09:50
Well.. I'm afraid the mencoder muxer isn't all that it's cracked up to be. At least muxing raw asp/avc streams into avi gives you something that only mplayer can play. If encraw finally comes to a stable state, I'm going to replace mencoder with it. BTW, what's your output? AVI or MP4? MP4 shouldn't be a problem, Matroska neither.. but I've heard previous reports of mencoder, XviD and AVI being a problem.. that's why I'm considering other muxers (but those thoughts haven't progressed very far).

BTW, @Dayvon: just because nobody said anything, we didn't miss your icon so let me say thanks at this juncture.

The output is in .avi container. The last time I used to encode Xvid via Megui is through MeGUI 0.2.1024 .Net 1.1 and it works fine with Mencoder 20060101. After I changed to 0.2.3.2033, I only tested with AVC encodes. Now after changing to 0.2.3.2058, Xvid encode gives me this problem, revert it back to 0.2.3.2033 gives me the same problem also

Dayvon
3rd February 2006, 09:55

LOL. I was beginning to wonder. :confused: If you want a higher-rez (640x640) PNG version to down convert from for whatever, let me know. Good to be of any help :)

berrinam
3rd February 2006, 11:14
Could it also be a problem with files bigger than 2GB.... again, the mencoder muxer seems to generate unplayable avi files if they are too big (an ODML issue, but more than that i don't know).

cc979
3rd February 2006, 14:14
Do you have Gordian Knot installed? It looks like it. If you have AVISynth, then you really don't need Gordian Knot anymore, and the fact that you have 2 installed AVISynth programs might be messing up the path assigning. I suggest either unistalling Gordian Knot, or installing AVISynth to the path it's looking for.

Do you need to decomb your source (i.e. is your source interlaced?) ? If not then open the AVS file with Notepad and erase the line that will say something like:

Decomb()

If you do need to decomb, then you have the decomb.dll in the "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" folder, so you could make the path that MeGUI is searching for and put the decomb.dll there.

thanks, decomb.dll in here works "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins" even tho its in "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" which is in the settings on megui

Avish
3rd February 2006, 14:21
Hi Guys,

I wanted to know that When should I use the options "Mpeg2 Deblocking" & "Colour Correction" in meGUI? & what dlls should be there in my avisynth plugin folder for using these options?

Gusar
3rd February 2006, 18:14
@ berrinam: It's not an ODML issue, but a MinGW issue. In linux I have no problems creating even 12GB large files with mencoder and they play perfectly in Linux and in Windows, in both VirtualDub (VFW) and DirectShow players. But mplayer compiled with MinGW has problems, it only plays the first GB. According to this (http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cygwin/2005-February/001957.html) thread on the mplayer mailing list, one solution is a mplayer compiled with cygwin.

Inc
3rd February 2006, 18:47
I remember when I just added --enable-largefiles to my ./configure line when compiling mencoder (even under MinGW) mencoder resulted encodings with filesizes bigger than 2GB played back properly. Ok, these where mpeg2 encodes, but it really seems that largefiles enabling could be the cure (imho).
EDIT: I also remember of an direct avi (xvid/mp3)mencoder encode I did which resulted in 3GB - no problems.

ChronoCross
3rd February 2006, 22:16
how does one go about using the preview button in the avs creator? It keeps crashing meGUI and I was thinging that perhaps I'm just missing a program.

Shinjite
6th February 2006, 04:21
Could it also be a problem with files bigger than 2GB.... again, the mencoder muxer seems to generate unplayable avi files if they are too big (an ODML issue, but more than that i don't know).

Mine was encoded from DVD. Output was 1.4GB and it was rendered unplayable so I had to use VFW in VDM. Tested with Nov 23rd version of mencoder also has the same problem. So I will conclude for myself that in my case, only large output files in .avi is a no-no. I haven't try out the --enable largefiles command yet though...

berrinam
6th February 2006, 06:41
Hi Guys,

I wanted to know that When should I use the options "Mpeg2 Deblocking" & "Colour Correction" in meGUI? & what dlls should be there in my avisynth plugin folder for using these options?
No extra dlls are required. Mpeg2 deblocking uses dgdecode.dll, which should already be in your plugins directory, and I believe that Colour Correction is part of AviSynth, but I've never actually tried it.

I remember when I just added --enable-largefiles to my ./configure line when compiling mencoder (even under MinGW) mencoder resulted encodings with filesizes bigger than 2GB played back properly. Ok, these where mpeg2 encodes, but it really seems that largefiles enabling could be the cure (imho).
EDIT: I also remember of an direct avi (xvid/mp3)mencoder encode I did which resulted in 3GB - no problems.
I used celtic_druid's builds of mencoder, and I came across some problems with large files (in particular, ffvhuff ones, for the prerender jobs). I got around these problems by adding --no-odml --forceidx to the commandline, but perhaps your approach is the proper way. Could you either try the prerender job to see whether it works and then try it without those tags, or else could you post your build so that I could have a go with it? Thanks

berrinam
6th February 2006, 07:02
how does one go about using the preview button in the avs creator? It keeps crashing meGUI and I was thinging that perhaps I'm just missing a program.
Previewing opens the avs in MeGUI, so it shouldn't require any external programs. Can you post the error message and your AviSynth script that causes this?

Avish
6th February 2006, 07:05
No extra dlls are required. Mpeg2 deblocking uses dgdecode.dll, which should already be in your plugins directory, and I believe that Colour Correction is part of AviSynth, but I've never actually tried it.
Thanks for the reply berrinam, but still the basic question is unanswered... For what purpose they are there...especially Colour Correction? When should I enable them? on what kind of source? are there any set rules for when to enable them?

ChronoCross
6th February 2006, 07:46
Avish to answer your question about color correction go here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=82217&highlight=ColorMatrix

Mpeg2Deblocking enables the psot-processing functions of DGDecode. They are relatively fast and in my opinion should always be enabled as DgDecode has access to special information straight fromt he source that allows for accurate deblocking.

Gusar
6th February 2006, 23:18

This got me interested, so I did a MinGW compile of mplayer with --enable-largefiles and did some tests. First I created two files with a little over 2GB with mencoder, one with odml and one without. MPlayer can play both files but can't seek in them (not even with -forceidx) and I'm not sure if it would play the file to the end. Media Player Classic can play the no-odml file normally and crashes on the odml file.

Then I again created two files (one odml and one no-odml) but this time with over 4GB size. MPlayer behaves the same as before. MPC again crashes on the odml file, but on the no-odml file, it only plays a few seconds.

So the limit where MinGW starts to fail is 4GB and --enable-largefiles doesn't have any effect. There's also other interesting stuff, like, when filesize goes over 2GB mencoder starts showing negative projected filesize and negative bitrate.
This is the mencoder output wint MinGW:ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 1023MB. 19min 6460mb A-V:0.064 [22609:127]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 2047MB. 15min 6388mb A-V:0.064 [23155:128]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at -1024MB. 11min -2098mb A-V:0.064 [-7609:128]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 0MB.em: 8min 0mb A-V:0.064 [-131:128]

Then I did the same tests with a cygwin compile. No problems with the odml files, they play perfectly. The no-odml 4GB file, MPC just plays the first seconds, mplayer creates an index with -forceidx then plays the file ok.
Mencoder output with cygwin:ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 1023MB. 19min 6460mb A-V:0.064 [22609:127]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 2047MB. 15min 6388mb A-V:0.064 [23155:128]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 3071MB. 11min 6295mb A-V:0.064 [22302:128]
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 4095MB. 8min 6281mb A-V:0.064 [22167:128]

Bottom line: cygwin mplayer/mencoder with odml and everything is perfect.

For anyone interested, get the compiles here: mingw (http://www.stud.uni-graz.at/~vampl/mplayer-mingw-20060206.zip), cygwin (http://www.stud.uni-graz.at/~vampl/mplayer-cygwin-20060206.zip)

Two notes about the cygwin version: a) it looks for the mplayer config files in c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.mplayer (it will create the folder if it doesn't exist) b) I had problems with xvid and x264 so this version doesn't support them. If there's interest in a fully working cygwin compile I might dig into the problem.

ChronoCross
7th February 2006, 06:02
@Everyone
I'm also working on a mencoder version from MingW. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Inc
7th February 2006, 19:38
I used celtic_druid's builds of mencoder, and I came across some problems with large files (in particular, ffvhuff ones, for the prerender jobs). I got around these problems by adding --no-odml --forceidx to the commandline, but perhaps your approach is the proper way. Could you either try the prerender job to see whether it works and then try it without those tags, or else could you post your build so that I could have a go with it? Thanks

Here I compiled you an CPU-generic-all-included binary of mencoder (http://www.mytempdir.com/436826) out of the latest mencoder and libavcodec CVS snapshots (Feb/02/2006) via MinGW32.
Its a 3.6MB 7z file where the extracted size is 10.7MB, so many stuff is included in that build.
I DO hope that avisynth demuxing is included while compiling, so do a test as Im here at work and have no opportunities to test it right now..

The included common additional libs also used for compiling where taken from here:
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
(like the x264, faac, xvidcore etc)

... compiled using:
./configure --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-largefiles --enable-static --confdir=mplayer --enable-win32 > configure_output.txt
make

The 7z link above also includes a detailed list "configure_output.txt" where you can see what has been detected&included.

As said the last time I used mencoder where files over 2Gigs resulted is almost 1 year ago when I ued mencoder for mpeg2 encoding tests.
There I used the same configure line for compiling, means including --enable-largefiles and the resulted 2.5-3GB m2v encoded and played back properly.

EDIT: Uops. Gusar seems now finally I saw your post :)
And yes now I remember at that time beside MinGW ones I also tested on CygWin builds!
Could you please also post your encoding commandline.

I had problems with xvid and x264 so this version doesn't support them
Did you also build these LIBs under CygWin from the latest x264/xvid source snapshots or did you take ready builded ones?

Schnoodledorfer
8th February 2006, 03:00
Per the MeGUI Guide,
"'avisynth plugins' is no longer used."
I think that pretty much answers your question.

The version at http://megui.sourceforge.net/megui-guide.html
doesn't have that. That's what I was going by and ran into the same problem (with dcomb.dll). :(

If I understand what you're saying (I'm not sure I do), MeGUI will use the plugins directory that's referenced by plugindir2_5 in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\AviSynth registry key (which is probably = "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" for most people), with one exception. The exception is that dcomb.dll must be in the plugins subdirectory of the AviSynth install location (normally C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins) for the (optional) purpose of checking for interlacing. Whatever is specified in the avisyth plugins entry of Program Path tab (under Tools/Settings) is completely ignored. (MeGUI just assumes AviSynth has been installed properly and can find its own plugins.) Is that what you mean? And when you say "avisynth plugins" you always mean the the AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ folder, not the GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins\ folder, right? :confused:

If that's true, then unfortunately, it didn't work for me because the noise filters were in the GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins\ folder, but plugindir2_5 was pointing at the AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ folder. (This in addition to my original problem with the decomb filter.) I suppose this is more of a Gordian Knot / AviSynth setup issue, though.

It probabably would be a good idea to keep the guide at http://megui.sourceforge.net/megui-guide.html
up to date. I don't know if you have access to it or not. I'm not sure the one inside the forum is of much value, especially since the forum search engine is so bad. (I only found the one inside the forum by using Google.) It might help if it was made sticky. Perhaps you could ask Doom9 or a moderator to do that for you.

berrinam
8th February 2006, 07:05
The version at http://megui.sourceforge.net/megui-guide.html
doesn't have that. That's what I was going by and ran into the same problem (with dcomb.dll). :( Weird.... I knew it was out of date, but I didn't realise I had deleted that.

If I understand what you're saying (I'm not sure I do), MeGUI will use the plugins directory that's referenced by plugindir2_5 in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\AviSynth registry keyYes, that is the registry key. However, it is not used by MeGUI, but it is actually used by AviSynth. That key defines the folder that AviSynth will look in to autoload plugins, which means that the plugins in that fo.der do not need to be loaded with loadplugin(). THAT is why MeGUI encourages users to use it, because it simplifies the AviSynth scripts.
(which is probably = "C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins" for most people)From where did you draw that conclusion? AviSynth sets it up as "C:\Program Files\AviSynth\plugins" and I Gordian Knot doesn't change it. I have Gordian Knot installed, yet it still shows as "C:\Program Files\AviSynth\plugins"
Also, why would MeGUI rely on the Gordian Knot plugins folder when Gordian Knot isn't used by MeGUI? The purpose of MeGUI is to replace Gordian Knot.
, with one exception. The exception is that dcomb.dll must be in the plugins subdirectory of the AviSynth install location (normally C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins) for the (optional) purpose of checking for interlacing. I hope you see now, that this is not an exception.

Whatever is specified in the avisyth plugins entry of Program Path tab (under Tools/Settings) is completely ignored. (MeGUI just assumes AviSynth has been installed properly and can find its own plugins.) Is that what you mean?Yep, but not that 'it can find its own plugins', but that the user has put the plugins in the right place.

And when you say "avisynth plugins" you always mean the the AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ folder, not the GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins\ folder, right? :confused:Yes. Once again, why would MeGUI use GK's plugins folder? It really has caused a fair bit of confusion with GK having its own plugins folder. It would have been much easier if GK just dumped all of its plugins in the AviSynth plugins folder, and then no LoadPlugin() calls would have to be made. However, the devs probably did it that way so that they could avoid any problems with version clashes between plugins.

I suppose this is more of a Gordian Knot / AviSynth setup issue, though.It's not an issue. Leave GK out of the equation, put the plugins in the right place, as directed by my guide, and you have no problems at all.

It probabably would be a good idea to keep the guide at http://megui.sourceforge.net/megui-guide.html
up to date. I don't know if you have access to it or not.Well, I'm actually planning to take it back down. It is much easier to edit forum code than html, and there's no point in trying to keep both up-to-date. I only set up the web one because the forum guide didn't hold enough, but that issue is now fixed.
I'm not sure the one inside the forum is of much value, especially since the forum search engine is so bad. (I only found the one inside the forum by using Google.) It might help if it was made sticky. Perhaps you could ask Doom9 or a moderator to do that for you.The guide has been a sticky from the day after I wrote it. If someone not on Doom9's forum wants to access it, then they would use Google anyway, and anyone on Doom9's forum should know to look at the stickies.

ChronoCross
8th February 2006, 07:09
God damnit. Compiling mencoder in cygwin is like trying to push a 2 ton rock. Of course I can compile it with all the custom options that I want. cept the one I really need doesn't fricken work. for some reason it doesn't understand pathnames. When compiling for mencoder you need xvid(done) x264(done) libavcodec(done) and support for win32 dll's(fails). It just cannot fidn those dll's even though the pathname I'm suing is the default one. it seems as though the only way to get lossless to work in mencoder is to use cygwin but you can't pass avisynth scripts through it unless you have win32 dll's enabled. A never ending problem. after 4 hours of google searches to no avail I am giving up for the time being. if anyone has any ideas say so in this thread or pm me.

Negi
8th February 2006, 07:53
In MeGui settings in the latest dev build, there is a box that says AVISynth Plugins, but the guide says the box is non-functional. Does it actually do anything? Also, in the Dev Build, you get a lot of (command not found) errors whenever you use the audio encoding dialog box and the oneClick encoding box, and the (mux audio and subtitle box).

Doom9
8th February 2006, 09:20
but the guide says the box is non-functional.The guide is right.. it does nothing. /me makes a mental note to remove it...

stax76
8th February 2006, 10:11
Well, I'm actually planning to take it back down. It is much easier to edit forum code than html, and there's no point in trying to keep both up-to-date. I only set up the web one because the forum guide didn't hold enough, but that issue is now fixed.

I'm using this code in my productivity scripts and utils:

Public Class Scripting
Public Function GetVBBCode(ByVal htmlcode As String) As String
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<p>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</p>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<ul>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</ul>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<li>", " ")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</li>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<b>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</b>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<strong>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</strong>", "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("&quot;", """")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("&nbsp;", " ")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<h1>", vbCrLf + "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</h1>", "" + vbCrLf)
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("<h2>", vbCrLf + "")
htmlcode = htmlcode.Replace("</h2>", "" + vbCrLf)

Return htmlcode
End Function
End Class

dimzon
8th February 2006, 11:59
The guide is right.. it does nothing. /me makes a mental note to remove it...
let's keep this textbox as readonly (we can show actual AviSynth plugin folder here from registry) for information puposes

Avish
8th February 2006, 12:45
Avish to answer your question about color correction go here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=82217&highlight=ColorMatrix

Mpeg2Deblocking enables the psot-processing functions of DGDecode. They are relatively fast and in my opinion should always be enabled as DgDecode has access to special information straight fromt he source that allows for accurate deblocking.
Thanks ChronoCross for the reply :)

BTW I just installed the x264 revision 423 & found out that it contains MeGUI version 0.2.3.2068. I wanted to ask Devs that is this version usable for us normal users or is it another one of "only for Devs" version?

Schnoodledorfer
8th February 2006, 18:44
From where did you draw that conclusion? AviSynth sets it up as "C:\Program Files\AviSynth\plugins" and I Gordian Knot doesn't change it.
I assumed that because I thought GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins\ was where the plugins were autoloaded from. I assumed GK included that folder so that the plugins in it would automatically be available. I checked the registry later and yes, it points to AviSynth\plugins\ instead. I really wish GK called AviSynthPlugins something like AviSynth_plugin_repository or _vault or something like that. It would make the intent more clear.

It would have been much easier if GK just dumped all of its plugins in the AviSynth plugins folder, and then no LoadPlugin() calls would have to be made. However, the devs probably did it that way so that they could avoid any problems with version clashes between plugins.

This is from http://www.avisynth.org/AviSynthPlugins:
It is possible to put all plugins and script files with user-defined functions or (global) variables in a directory from where all files with the extension .AVS and .DLL are loaded at startup, unloaded and then loaded dynamically as the script needs them.
I guess you wouldn't want dlls you didn't normally use to be loaded and unloaded each time AviSynth starts. (But maybe programs normally do this and it's no big deal - I'm not a professional programmer, so I don't know.) In any case, it makes AviSynth crash. (I tried it.) That's a pretty good reason. ;)

And when you say "avisynth plugins" you always mean the the AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ folder, not the GordianKnot\AviSynthPlugins\ folder, right? Yes.Wrong! ;) I finally figured out what you meant by: "'avisynth plugins' is no longer used" in the guide. In that case you were referring to the entry on the "Program Paths" tab of MeGUI's settings, not any particular folder. See below for a suggestion on how to clarify that.

Thanks for fixing up the guide at sourceforge. It's best that there is only one version.

I don't know how I missed the MeGUI guide being a sticky. I was probably looking in the wrong forum. :o

Because of the confusion over the meaning of "avisynth plugin", which seems to have affected more than just me, I would recommend making these changes to the guide:

Remove "avisynth plugins' is no longer used." Then add (near the bottom of your first post, just above "Pre-rendering of AviSynth scripts..." the following paragraph:

[I]These dlls will automatically be loaded by avisynth if they are placed in the folder that contains the plugins that AviSynth autoloads (normally C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins). If you wish to use a plugin stored elsewhere (such as in the "AviSynthPlugins" folder created by GordianKnot), it is necessary to include a call to the LoadPlugin() function inside the script. This can be added to the script by using the "Load dll" feature on the Edit tab of the AviSynth Script Creator tool. The script can be manually edited before saving as well. See the "AviSynth templates" section in the next post for a way to automate the creation of customized scripts. (Edited to fix minor typo)

Also, I suggest changing: "You also need NicAudio.dll and mpasource.dll in your AviSynth plugins folder. " to "You also need to place NicAudio.dll and mpasource.dll into the folder that contains the plugins that AviSynth autoloads (normally C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins)." From then on changing "avisynth plugins folder" to "the folder that contains the plugins that avisynth autoloads". That's more verbose, but it's closer to the way it is said on avisynth.org.

One final thing I would perfer would be to change every use of "the AviSynth script creator" to "the AviSynth Script Creator tool". That to me sounds much more like a tool that would be inside MeGUI, rather than some external thing. I know I was confused at one point yesterday on this issue, but that may have been triggered by another post elsewhere. (I was confused about plenty of things yesterday!) :rolleyes:

The guide is right.. it does nothing. /me makes a mental note to remove it... Actually, it does do something, just not much. It provides the default location to find the dlls if the user uses the Load DLL function on the AviSynth Script Generator. (I just figured that out!) If you disable this, it would be nice if MeGUI would at least remember where a user loaded an external plugin from and use that the next time as the default.

let's keep this textbox as readonly (we can show actual AviSynth plugin folder here from registry) for information puposes
I think that would still create confusion, unless you label it "Autoloaded AviSynth plugins" or something like that. As it is now, it points elsewhere -- to the default location for external non-autoloaded plugins.

How about also moving up the "Load DLL" row on the Edit tab of the AviSynth Script Generator, or better yet, display something more descriptive. If you don't know what's going on, "Load DLL" won't mean anything to you. Perhaps something like "Manually load dlls for external AviSynth plugins". Perhaps you could draw an option group (that's what it's called in VBA, anyway) around it and use that as the label.

This is nitpicky perhaps, but the actual window has the title "AviSynth Script Generator", but the menu item says "AviSynth Script Creator". That could cause confusion in a discussion over whether someone meant an external tool vs. MeGUIs tool, I suppose.

I don't know if this qualifies as a "feature request" or not. I can say something in the right place, if it would help.

Morte66
15th February 2006, 12:18
I encoded/muxed some mp4 files using my special "user is sleepwalking" profile, and somehow ended up with the wrong aspect ratio so they play at about 2:1 instead of 16:9.

So, um, what do you guys use when you want to change the SAR of an existing mp4 file with minimal fuss?

Richard Berg
15th February 2006, 18:26
mp4box can change the SAR in-place.

nufan292
18th February 2006, 16:27
I'm hoping someone can help this newb that is me, with MeGUI. I have everything installed and I believe in the right places as well. And all the files are pointing to the right locations in the setup. The problem is that after ripping a dvd, and doing the d2v creation and avs creation steps, the encode part seems to fail. Here's a log from MeGUI:
Starting job job1 at 12:31:05 AM
Job is a dgindex job. dgindex commandline:
"C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB] -OF=[E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1] -exit -OM=1 -TN=1
successfully set up dgindex
Processing ended at 12:33:53 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generating jobs. Desired size: 1153433600 bytes
Setting desired size of video to 1153433600 bytes
Starting job job2-1 at 12:36:52 AM
Job is an audio job. Commandline:
-core( -input "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -logfile "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.besweet.log" ) -azid( -q 100 ) -ota( -g max )
successfully started encoding
Processing ended at 1:07:40 AM

Log for job job2-1

Channels=6, BitsPerSample=16, SampleRate=48000Hz
C:\Program Files\MeGUI-0.2.3.2089-Dev\faac\faac.exe -q 100 -o "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -P -X -R 48000 -B 16 -C 6 --mpeg-vers 4 -Freeware Advanced Audio Coder
FAAC 1.24.1 (May 17 2005) UNSTABLE

Remapping input channels: Center=3, LFE=4
Quantization quality: 100
Bandwidth: 16000 Hz
Object type: Low Complexity(MPEG-4) + M/S
Container format: MPEG-4 File Format (MP4)
Encoding - to E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4
frame | elapsed | play/CPU
334810 | 1845.8 | 3.87x

job job2-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job2-2
this series of jobs starts with an audio job and is followed by regular twopass video jobs
The audio job is named job2-1 the first pass job2-2 and the second pass job2-3
The second pass job has a desired final output size of 1153433600 bytes and video bitrate of 700 kbit/s
The size of the first audio track is 273216042 bytes
Desired video size after substracting audio size is 859587Setting the desired bitrate of the subsequent video jobs to -2147483648 kbit/s
Starting job job2-2 at 1:07:41 AM
Job is a video job. encoder commandline:
--pass 1 --bitrate -2147483648 --stats "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.stats" --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.avs"
Processing ended at 1:07:43 AM

Log for job job2-2

job job2-2 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job2-3
Starting job job2-3 at 1:07:43 AM
--pass 2 --bitrate -2147483648 --stats "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.stats" --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.mp4" "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.avs"
Processing ended at 1:07:43 AM

Log for job job2-3

desired video bitrate of this job: -2147483648 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: NaN kbit/s
job job2-3 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job2-4
Starting job job2-4 at 1:07:43 AM
Job is a mux job. Commandline:
-add "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.mp4" -add "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -new "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity-muxed.mp4"
calling setup failed with error Could not find mp4box.exe in the path specified: mp4box.exe Please specify the proper path in the settings
Starting job job2-4 at 7:26:58 AM
-add "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity.mp4" -add "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\VTS_01_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -new "E:\SERENITY\AUDIO_TS\Serenity-muxed.mp4"
calling setup failed with error Could not find mp4box.exe in the path specified: mp4box.exe Please specify the proper path in the settings
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sharktooth
18th February 2006, 17:06
ensure you have properly set the path to needed programs in the megui settings (expecially x264 and mp4box)...

nufan292
18th February 2006, 17:57
Yup mp4box.exe was pointing wrong. Shold I kick myself now, or later.

nufan292
18th February 2006, 18:01
Ok, I just tried encoding the video only and this is what the log says:
Log for job job1

desired video bitrate of this job: 700 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: NaN kbit/s
And I triple checked that x264 was pointing correctly. In the queue it shows up as done. Being a newb sucks.

dimzon
19th February 2006, 12:47
Ok, I just tried encoding the video only and this is what the log says:

And I triple checked that x264 was pointing correctly. In the queue it shows up as done. Being a newb sucks.
:readrule: :readfaq: :logfile: :script:

Doom9
20th February 2006, 12:54
what's wrong with this picture:
Starting job job2-2 at 1:07:41 AM
Processing ended at 1:07:43 AMWithout any knowledge whatsoever, 2 seconds is pretty darned fast for encoding time, don't you think? So, even though you know nothing of megui and x264, you should reasonably conclude that something went wrong during video encoding.. it just never takes two seconds.. never ever ever ever ever. I mean your audio took 30 minutes, and generally video is a lot more complex than audio. So then you could for instance head over to the bug report thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105160) and look at point to be done. 1) not found, 2) you did that, 3) you forgot that, lucky for you the issue here is rather self-explanatory. 5) you forgot about that, 6) I don't see a build number anywhere (/me makes a mental note to consider putting the build number in the log.. it's such a little thing but people just love to forget it.. it's pathological really), 7) it's not megui but you couldn't know that, that is, unless you performed 8). It's really simple. If something doesn't work out, perform steps 1 to 8 and make your post thereafter. Nobody can guarantee that this will help, but experience shows that in a large portion of all cases, it allows to pinpoint the problem without further ado, and that saves everyone time and effort.

spunch
22nd February 2006, 00:28
Did anyone ever hear of files spontaneously disappear when using the oneclick encoder, right after doing the muxing job? I can't figure this thing out. I'm probably missing something, new to MeGUI and all.

I know everything goes well untill the muxing job, I can even pause the job and watch the video, but as soon as it gets to muxing the file with the *_Video.mkv prefix, it disappears and nothing else seems to be outputted.

I tried:
MeGUI-0.2.3.2063-Stable
MeGUI-0.2.3.2092-Dev
MeGUI.NETv2.0_Bins_0.2.3.2033

The rest of my toolbox:
lame3.98a3
MP4Box_20060217
mkvtoolnix-unicode-1.6.5
x264-Lite_r408
MeGUI-x264_generic_profiles_v20

job job2-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job2-2
Starting job job2-2 at 00:48:02
-o "F:\videoshit\dad.mkv" -A -S "F:\videoshit\dad_Video.mkv" --no-clusters-in-meta-seek
successfully set up muxer
Processing ended at 00:48:02

Log for job job2-2

berrinam
22nd February 2006, 02:10
Did anyone ever hear of files spontaneously disappear when using the oneclick encoder, right after doing the muxing job?How about the option in Settings which says 'delete intermediate files after successful encoding', or something like that? My guess is that you have that checked, so after the mux job is completed, the intermediate files are deleted, of which *_Video.mkv is one.

It would normally leave the muxed file, but judging by this:
Starting job job2-2 at 00:48:02
...Processing ended at 00:48:02
the mux job didn't complete (nothing takes 0 seconds).

The problem is that this job isn't properly being detected as errored. You need to work out what is wrong with your mkv muxing. Check if it is set up properly, etc.

nufan292
23rd February 2006, 06:07
what's wrong with this picture:
Without any knowledge whatsoever, 2 seconds is pretty darned fast for encoding time, don't you think? So, even though you know nothing of megui and x264, you should reasonably conclude that something went wrong during video encoding.. it just never takes two seconds.. never ever ever ever ever. I mean your audio took 30 minutes, and generally video is a lot more complex than audio. So then you could for instance head over to the bug report thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105160) and look at point to be done. 1) not found, 2) you did that, 3) you forgot that, lucky for you the issue here is rather self-explanatory. 5) you forgot about that, 6) I don't see a build number anywhere (/me makes a mental note to consider putting the build number in the log.. it's such a little thing but people just love to forget it.. it's pathological really), 7) it's not megui but you couldn't know that, that is, unless you performed 8). It's really simple. If something doesn't work out, perform steps 1 to 8 and make your post thereafter. Nobody can guarantee that this will help, but experience shows that in a large portion of all cases, it allows to pinpoint the problem without further ado, and that saves everyone time and effort.
Will do this weekend, thanks for the response.

nufan292
27th February 2006, 04:18
Well, I was bored so I tried a newer build of MeGuii and guess what . . . got some love. Thanks.

spunch
28th February 2006, 22:10
Uhh the frustration... I'm trying to encode a few clips using the oneclick encoder and MeGUI is giving me a few problems... I have two jobs, both are entirely identical except for 3 lines, one works fine, the other crashes MeGUI without any indication of what may have happened.

A file comparison reveals these differences:

Compare: (<)F:\encoding\MeGUI-0.2.3.2095-Dev\job1.xml (5391 bytes)
with: (>)F:\encoding\MeGUI-0.2.3.2095-Dev\job2.xml (5396 bytes)

5,8c5,8
< <Name>job1</Name>
< <Priority>IDLE</Priority>
< <Status>WAITING</Status>
< <Position>0</Position>
---
> <Name>job2</Name>
> <Priority>IDLE</Priority>
> <Status>WAITING</Status>
> <Position>1</Position>

12,15c12,15
< <Commandline>"F:\encoding\dgmpgdec146\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.VOB] -OF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032] -exit -OM=0</Commandline>
< <AutoForceFilm>true</AutoForceFilm>
< <LoadSources>false</LoadSources>
< <AudioTrackID1>-1</AudioTrackID1>
---
> <Commandline>"F:\encoding\dgmpgdec146\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.VOB] -OF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032] -exit -OM=1 -TN=1</Commandline>
> <AutoForceFilm>true</AutoForceFilm>
> <LoadSources>false</LoadSources>
> <AudioTrackID1>0</AudioTrackID1>

I need the sound on these clips and I can't figure out what's causing this unprompted crash.

I also noticed MeGUI takes a lot of resources at the beginning of job1, right before it fires up x264.exe. In the first few 10-20 seconds MeGUI jumps from 30mb ram consumption to 200mb, and max out my CPU. It's definitely not dgindex, it's a short clip and it takes dgindex less than a second to do it's thing, and it's not lame.exe either, since there is no audio on job1. It is something internal, process explorer reveals some thread called mscrowks.dll!CreateApplicationContext+0xc461, could anybody tell me what it is?

job2.xml in its entirety:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Job xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xsi:type="IndexJob">
<Input>F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.VOB</Input>
<Output>F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.d2v</Output>
<Name>job2</Name>
<Priority>IDLE</Priority>
<Status>WAITING</Status>
<Position>1</Position>
<Start>0001-01-01T00:00:00</Start>
<End>0001-01-01T00:00:00</End>
<FPS>0</FPS>
<Commandline>"F:\encoding\dgmpgdec146\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.VOB] -OF=[F:\STASHTESTS\I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032] -exit -OM=1 -TN=1</Commandline>
<AutoForceFilm>true</AutoForceFilm>
<LoadSources>false</LoadSources>
<AudioTrackID1>0</AudioTrackID1>
<AudioTrackID2>-1</AudioTrackID2>
<DemuxMode>1</DemuxMode>
<ForceFilmThreshold>95</ForceFilmThreshold>
<PostprocessingProperties>
<AutoDeinterlace>true</AutoDeinterlace>
<AutoDeriveAR>true</AutoDeriveAR>
<SignalAR>false</SignalAR>
<HorizontalOutputResolution>640</HorizontalOutputResolution>
<Container>1</Container>
<OutputSize>-1024</OutputSize>
<SplitSize>0</SplitSize>
<AR>A1x1</AR>
<AvsSettings>
<Template>&lt;input&gt;
&lt;deinterlace&gt;
&lt;crop&gt;
&lt;resize&gt;
&lt;denoise&gt;
</Template>
<ResizeMethod>Lanczos</ResizeMethod>
<DenoiseMethod>MinimalNoise</DenoiseMethod>
<Deinterlace>false</Deinterlace>
<Denoise>false</Denoise>
<IVTC>false</IVTC>
<MPEG2Deblock>false</MPEG2Deblock>
<ColourCorrect>false</ColourCorrect>
</AvsSettings>
<AudioSettings>
<AudioCodecSettings xsi:type="MP3Settings">
<ImproveAccuracy>true</ImproveAccuracy>
<SourceIsMultichannel>false</SourceIsMultichannel>
<EncodeViaBeSweet>false</EncodeViaBeSweet>
<ForceDecodingViaDirectShow>false</ForceDecodingViaDirectShow>
<DownmixMode>StereoDownmix</DownmixMode>
<BitrateMode>ABR</BitrateMode>
<Bitrate>128</Bitrate>
<Delay>33</Delay>
<DelayEnabled>true</DelayEnabled>
<AutoGain>true</AutoGain>
<Quality>50</Quality>
</AudioCodecSettings>
<AudioCodecSettings xsi:type="MP3Settings">
<ImproveAccuracy>true</ImproveAccuracy>
<SourceIsMultichannel>false</SourceIsMultichannel>
<EncodeViaBeSweet>false</EncodeViaBeSweet>
<ForceDecodingViaDirectShow>false</ForceDecodingViaDirectShow>
<DownmixMode>StereoDownmix</DownmixMode>
<BitrateMode>ABR</BitrateMode>
<Bitrate>128</Bitrate>
<Delay>33</Delay>
<DelayEnabled>true</DelayEnabled>
<AutoGain>true</AutoGain>
<Quality>50</Quality>
</AudioCodecSettings>
</AudioSettings>
<VideoSettings xsi:type="x264Settings">
<EncodingMode>0</EncodingMode>
<BitrateQuantizer>1000</BitrateQuantizer>
<KeyframeInterval>250</KeyframeInterval>
<NbBframes>0</NbBframes>
<MinQuantizer>10</MinQuantizer>
<MaxQuantizer>51</MaxQuantizer>
<PARX>0</PARX>
<PARY>0</PARY>
<Turbo>false</Turbo>
<V4MV>false</V4MV>
<QPel>false</QPel>
<Trellis>false</Trellis>
<CreditsQuantizer>40</CreditsQuantizer>
<Logfile>.stats</Logfile>
<CustomEncoderOptions />
<FourCC>1</FourCC>
<Zones />
<PSNRCalculation>false</PSNRCalculation>
<noFastPSkip>false</noFastPSkip>
<NoiseReduction>0</NoiseReduction>
<MixedRefs>false</MixedRefs>
<X264Trellis>0</X264Trellis>
<NbRefFrames>1</NbRefFrames>
<AlphaDeblock>0</AlphaDeblock>
<BetaDeblock>0</BetaDeblock>
<SubPelRefinement>0</SubPelRefinement>
<MaxQuantDelta>4</MaxQuantDelta>
<TempQuantBlur>0</TempQuantBlur>
<BframePredictionMode>0</BframePredictionMode>
<VBVBufferSize>-1</VBVBufferSize>
<VBVMaxBitrate>-1</VBVMaxBitrate>
<METype>0</METype>
<MERange>16</MERange>
<NbThreads>1</NbThreads>
<MinGOPSize>25</MinGOPSize>
<Profile>0</Profile>
<Level>15</Level>
<IPFactor>1.4</IPFactor>
<PBFactor>1.3</PBFactor>
<ChromaQPOffset>0</ChromaQPOffset>
<VBVInitialBuffer>0.9</VBVInitialBuffer>
<BitrateVariance>1.0</BitrateVariance>
<QuantCompression>0.6</QuantCompression>
<TempComplexityBlur>20</TempComplexityBlur>
<TempQuanBlurCC>0.5</TempQuanBlurCC>
<SCDSensitivity>40</SCDSensitivity>
<BframeBias>0</BframeBias>
<Deblock>false</Deblock>
<Cabac>false</Cabac>
<WeightedBPrediction>false</WeightedBPrediction>
<AdaptiveBFrames>false</AdaptiveBFrames>
<BFramePyramid>false</BFramePyramid>
<BRDO>false</BRDO>
<biME>false</biME>
<ChromaME>false</ChromaME>
<P8x8mv>true</P8x8mv>
<B8x8mv>true</B8x8mv>
<I4x4mv>true</I4x4mv>
<I8x8mv>false</I8x8mv>
<P4x4mv>true</P4x4mv>
<AdaptiveDCT>false</AdaptiveDCT>
<Lossless>false</Lossless>
<QuantizerMatrix />
<QuantizerMatrixType>0</QuantizerMatrixType>
</VideoSettings>
<CustomAR>1</CustomAR>
<ChapterFile />
<FinalOutput />
<AviSynthScript />
<AudioLanguages>
<string />
<string />
</AudioLanguages>
</PostprocessingProperties>
</Job>

Doom9
1st March 2006, 13:35
I need the sound on these clips and I can't figure out what's causing this unprompted crash.I take it job2 crashes, and job1 does not, is that correct? Which dgindex version are you using? And could you run both commandlines from the commandprompt to see if there's anything you might see that you don't get in megui?
It is something internal, process explorer reveals some thread called mscrowks.dll!CreateApplicationContext+0xc461, sounds like that's when it creates the x264.exe process. Since you know diff and process explorer, any chance you could step through private void UpdateGUIStatus(StatusUpdate su) in Form1.cs.. you should see the line where that behavior stems from.. but since x264.exe takes 200mb iirc it's not surprising that the memory usage goes up like that.. it may just be the way of starting a process from within the .NET framework. If you keep watching the RAM usage, doesn't that additional ram simply transfer over to x264.exe once it shows up in the process list?

spunch
1st March 2006, 15:06
I take it job2 crashes, and job1 does not, is that correct? Which dgindex version are you using? And could you run both commandlines from the commandprompt to see if there's anything you might see that you don't get in megui?
Yes, job2 is the one that's failing, possibly because of something to do with the audio. Although, even when it fails it outputs the dgindex .d2v and .ac3 files just fine. There are no differences between them and files created manually in dgindex. using the command line works just how you'd expect it to work. Same .d2v and a playable .ac3.

You should know that when I generated these jobs I changed some of the defaults in the OneClickEncoder window:
* Target filesize from 1 CD (700mb) to Don't Care (-1)
* Checked Automatic Deinterlacing
* Contrainer from MP4 to MKV
* Used a custom MP3 audio profile.

I'm using dgmpgdec v1.4.6, MeGUI-0.2.3.2095-Dev (also tried on MeGUI-0.2.3.2063-Stable with same results), mkvtoolnix v1.6.5, lame3.98a3, and a freshly installed and patched Windows XP SP2.

I also tried it on several different VOB clips (from the same source) that resulted in the same crash.

If you keep watching the RAM usage, doesn't that additional ram simply transfer over to x264.exe once it shows up in the process list?
It's exactly what happens.

dimzon
1st March 2006, 15:18
@spunch
Does you possible to encode resulting AC3 into MP3 via MeGUI using AviSynth audio ?

spunch
1st March 2006, 15:43
I tried NAAC, still crashing...

dimzon
1st March 2006, 15:49
I tried NAAC, still crashing...
No, you doesn't understand me

Although, even when it fails it outputs the dgindex .d2v and .ac3 files just fine. There are no differences between them and files created manually in dgindex. using the command line works just how you'd expect it to work. Same .d2v and a playable .ac3.
Run MeGUI and create simple Audio encoding job (using obtained AC3)
If MeGUI still crash trying to encode this AC3 try to switch to BeSweet encoding.
If MeGUI doesn't crash on AC3 encoding via BeSweet it means problem is in AviSynth audio compression
In this case try to create such AVS script:

NicAc3Source("myfile.ac3")

and try to play this AVS file via any DirectShow player...

spunch
1st March 2006, 16:21
MeGUI does not crash at a simple audio encoding job, no matter how I do it.

MeGUI continues to crash, even when I encode job2 audio via BeSweet.

dimzon
1st March 2006, 16:29
MeGUI does not crash at a simple audio encoding job, no matter how I do it.
Good

MeGUI continues to crash, even when I encode job2 audio via BeSweet.
Can you provide smallest as possible VOB file (below 20MB) to reproduce this error? Seems like we (developers) must debug MeGUI...

Doom9
1st March 2006, 17:05
Used a custom MP3 audio profile.But that implies that you should get an audio job, yet you mentioned you have none, and that's really weird. Is it too much to hope for that you can also manage a debugger besides processexplorer?

spunch
1st March 2006, 17:32
What do you mean an audio job? It's a OneClick job. As I understand it, a OneClick job is responsible for creating 3 different jobs, for video audio and muxing. MeGUI is too quick to crash so I can't really see if it created those jobs.

I'll see what I can do about debugging, never really done it before. I uploaded a VOB clip as well. www.hayarealestate.com/temp/I2_STASH05_VTS_01_032.VOB. Please let me know when you're done downloading.

spunch
1st March 2006, 21:53
So are you planning on downloading it anytime soon?

Doom9
2nd March 2006, 08:27
well.. whenever I have time to do something, I work on refactoring and what I have on my HD is in no way capable of even launching the one click mode at this point so even if I wanted, I just couldn't try it.

dimzon
2nd March 2006, 09:51
So are you planning on downloading it anytime soon?
I will download it next night (i'm @ office now and i can't download multimtdia content here)

spunch
3rd March 2006, 19:06
I've been putting it off for a long time already, could anyone with debugging knowledge just download the clip I provided and try to encode it using the job2.xml file I mentioned above?

Doom9
3rd March 2006, 21:20
@spunch: I'm still waiting for a reply to the questions I asked in my first reply right after you posted your problem report.

spunch
3rd March 2006, 21:38
I think I answered all your questions already. If I wasn't clear before:
I take it job2 crashes, and job1 does not, is that correct?
Yes. MeGUI handles job1 (video only) just fine, job2 (video+audio) is the one that crashes, 2 seconds after I press the Start button.

Which dgindex version are you using?
dgmpgdec v1.4.6

could you run both commandlines from the commandprompt to see if there's anything you might see that you don't get in megui?
Running both commandlines from the commandprompt does not reveal anything that might suggest that dgindex is the source of the problem, both commandlines work fine.

any chance you could step through private void UpdateGUIStatus(StatusUpdate su) in Form1.cs
Sorry, I would not know how to do that.

cc979
4th March 2006, 14:53
I think I answered all your questions already. If I wasn't clear before:

Yes. MeGUI handles job1 (video only) just fine, job2 (video+audio) is the one that crashes, 2 seconds after I press the Start button.

dgmpgdec v1.4.6

Running both commandlines from the commandprompt does not reveal anything that might suggest that dgindex is the source of the problem, both commandlines work fine.

Sorry, I would not know how to do that.

i've noticed dgindex crashes if it does not have dvd-decrypt info file using the 1click method

but it is fine if you manually use dgindex to create d2v file

berrinam
4th March 2006, 21:30
i've noticed dgindex crashes if it does not have dvd-decrypt info file using the 1click methodArgh! Why don't you report this kind of thing as a bug in the Bug Report thread, instead of just coping with it? It's best if we know about the bugs, so that we can fix them.

spunch
5th March 2006, 08:22
How am I suppose to give you a bug report when megui crashes with no error or output and I have no debugging expertise? I gave you the file in question, I gave you the job in question, why not take 5 minutes and try to recreate this crash yourselves? It really doesn't take much effort, you don't have to wait and encode the whole video, simply if you see megui doesn't crash in the first 5 seconds after starting the job then it is something wrong with my setting and I could stop bugging you.

ChronoCross
5th March 2006, 09:02
How am I suppose to give you a bug report when megui crashes with no error or output and I have no debugging expertise? I gave you the file in question, I gave you the job in question, why not take 5 minutes and try to recreate this crash yourselves? It really doesn't take much effort, you don't have to wait and encode the whole video, simply if you see megui doesn't crash in the first 5 seconds after starting the job then it is something wrong with my setting and I could stop bugging you.

because this is the wrong thread for bug-reports. plus not all of us have an apparently infinite amount of time to do testing. you should show some more respect else you should just keep your mouth shut.

berrinam
5th March 2006, 09:45
@spunch and ChronoCross: I think you guys misunderstood me. When I read spunch's post, I immediately tested it myself, found the bug, fixed it, posted a new version:

0.2.3.2105 5 March 2006
Commit by berrinam:
- Fixed bug with OneClick processing which caused a fatal KeyNotFoundException when the stream info file was missing

I was simply frustrated by the fact that cc979 seemed to be thinking "OK, it crashes for me, but if I do this workaround it doesn't bother me". If everyone thinks that way, then we never find out about the bugs in the first place and we never fix them as a result. It seems to me that the only reason that we found out about this problem was as a result of cc979 giving advice to spunch. Since cc979 knew about this problem, he could have told us about it earlier, and the whole problem would have been avoided.

I can see that cc979 might not have wanted to bother us, but trust me, we really want you to tell us about the bugs, as long as you read the bug-reporting guidelines first and show a little common sense.

How am I suppose to give you a bug report when megui crashes with no error or output and I have no debugging expertise?You don't need expertise, just read the guidelines, as I said above.

I'm sorry if I caused some confusion.

Summary:
If you think you have found a bug in MeGUI, please don't just ignore it and hope someone else will mention it. Read the Bug Reporting guidelines, and then make a good bug report on the bug report thread

spunch
5th March 2006, 10:37
Sorry and thank you for fixing this bug! You have to understand this is my first time using megui so I initially thought I perhaps misunderstood some commonsense guideline and was doing something wrong. Considering megui didn't even output an error message, I turned to the troubleshooting thread.

Thank you again!

cc979
5th March 2006, 15:54
Argh! Why don't you report this kind of thing as a bug in the Bug Report thread, instead of just coping with it? It's best if we know about the bugs, so that we can fix them.

opps, sorry - thought it was known

Shootist
5th March 2006, 16:15
I am not able to use megui x264 (x264.nl build 457) anymore. Everytime I want to config the gui by clicking the "config" button it crashs. I am using winxp sp2 without any other patches + .net framework 2.0 (file version says 2.0.50727.42).

The 424 build is the last build I used which worked.
I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Any ideas? Thank you.

desta
7th March 2006, 01:20
I've been using MeGUI 0.2.3.2090, with no problems, and I just started a new project. I'd already created my d2v file with DGIndex 1.4.5 (which had correctly reported my vobs as PAL, Progressive), so I went ahead and used the AVS Script Creator in MeGUI. I told it to analyze the frames.. it did, and also came back as progressive.

At this point, it occured to me to see if there was a newer version of MeGUI - I went off and quickly found Chronocross' latest 0.2.3.2107 build, so downloaded that, set it up and started again from the AVS Creator.

This time the analysis came back saying...

"Source type: Source is declared hybrid progressive/interlaced. This should be deinterlaced by a deinterlacer that tries to weave it before deinterlacing. Source is hybrid bff and tff at 12 bff and 15 tff."

... Why's it suddenly changed? I've gone through the source myself and I honestly can't see the slightest bit of interlacing.

I've more than likely not given enough information, so let me know if anything else is needed, and I'll give it. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

berrinam
7th March 2006, 06:02
I don't think anything should have changed in regards to that. I'm posting an update which will display some information for debugging, so can you run it with that and show me your results?

Also, it doesn't sound like you are using a very large source, since there are only 27 analyzed sections. How long is it?

berrinam
7th March 2006, 06:39
Version with extra debugging here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14890306/megui-2108.zip.html

desta
7th March 2006, 13:50
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I just tried that (there was only the MeGUI.exe itself in that zip) and it came back with...

"Source type: For your reference:
Progressive Sections: 58
Interlaced Sections: 4
Partial Static Sections: 122
Film Sections: 0
Source is declared hybrid progressive/interlaced. This should be deinterlaced by a deinterlacer that tries to weave it before deinterlacing."

As with the previous attempt, it runs it's first analysis, runs againly slowly, giving those results.

To answer your question, the source is 61mins long. It's actually the Star Wars: Clone Wars - volume 2 (animated). I have tried both setting and not setting MeGUI to 'Source is Anime'. Both results come back the same. I actually encoded volume 1 with MeGUI 0.2.3.2090 - which was also progressive.

The only thing I can think of, just off the top of my head, that's different from the last time I did an encode is that I added the TDeint.dll to my avisynth plugins folder, but like I said, I ran this new project through 2090 before I downloaded the latest version, and it came back as progressive that time.

Update: I've just updated to DGIndex 1.4.6 and x264 459 (I was using 408), created a new d2v file, and the results are still the same - MeGUI 2090 says progressive, whilst 2107 & 8 say hybrid. DGIndex itself still says progressive. I've noticed though that I can't use the "--aq-strength 0.8 --aq-sensitivity 15" command with the new x264.. which is a shame, cuz it solved quite a few issues I had with previous encodes.

berrinam
7th March 2006, 20:41
I remember now that I made a slight change to the script which should have made it more accurate.

Firstly, I don't know what your source is, so perhaps MeGUI's detection is in fact correct. In particular, the opening or end credits might be interlaced while the rest is progressive. If you know how to recognise deinterlacing, it would be good if you could check it.

Secondly, your results are very close to being declared wholly progressive (if there had been 61 or more progressive sections then that would have been the result). Setting the thresholds correctly so they trigger in the right place and don't in others is perhaps the hardest part, and I have not been able to do this properly, because I didn't have many sources. If you are sure that MeGUI is wrong, perhaps you (or I) could alter the settings so that it is less sensitive to small variations.

Something else which would be good to try is AutoGK. I made Source Detection constantly comparing my results to AutoGK's results. MeGUI's Source Detection should be up to 100 times faster, and I hope most of the results should be the same. I'm interested in what AutoGK says in its analysis.

I'm also interested by the fact that Partial Static Sections is so much higher than the rest, and I suspect this is because of your source being an animatedd source. As I said, I have had many problems with Source Detection due to lack of sample sources, anime sources being one of them. I suspected that they may be a problem due to their low actual framerate, I wasn't sure. I don't think there's much you can do about that, though.

desta
7th March 2006, 22:56
Well, I'm definitely no expert on the subject, so any worthwhile input I can offer is somewhat limited unfortunately. However, I did quickly start it up to do an encode in AutoGK, just to see what script would be generated, and I noticed this...

[07/03/2006 20:52:52] AutoGK 2.26
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] OS: WinXP (5.1.2600).2
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Job started.
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Input file: F:\Video\Projects\Star Wars\Clone Wars\Vol 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Output file: F:\Video\Projects\Star Wars\Clone Wars\Vol 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.avi
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Output codec: XviD
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Audio 1: Audio Stream 1 AC3
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Subtitles: none
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Format: .AVI
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Target size: 1400Mb
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Custom resolution settings: fixed width of 704 pixels
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Custom audio settings: Original
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Started encoding.
[07/03/2006 20:52:52] Demuxing and indexing.
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Processing file: F:\Video\Projects\Star Wars\Clone Wars\Vol 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Processing file: F:\Video\Projects\Star Wars\Clone Wars\Vol 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Processing file: F:\Video\Projects\Star Wars\Clone Wars\Vol 2\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Source resolution: 720x576
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Found PAL source.
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Source aspect ratio: 16:9
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Color correction enabled.
[07/03/2006 20:54:20] Analyzing source.
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Source is considered to be interlaced.
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Output will contain 91544 frames
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Audio1 size: 87,870,720 bytes (83.80 Mb)
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Overhead: 610,304 bytes (0.58 Mb)
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Video size: 1,379,525,376 bytes (1315.62 Mb)
[07/03/2006 20:58:00] Running compressibility test.
[07/03/2006 21:03:47] Duration was: 5 minutes 47 seconds
[07/03/2006 21:03:47] Speed was: 13.18 fps.
[07/03/2006 21:03:48] Compressibility percentage is: 88.29
[07/03/2006 21:03:48] Chosen resolution is: 704x400 ( AR: 1.76 )
[07/03/2006 21:03:48] Predicted comptest value is: 88.29%
[07/03/2006 21:03:48] Running first pass.

... From that I loaded up a basic script with KernelDeint included (as it seemed that's what AutoGK used), ran it back through Vdub Mod, and it showed a hell of a lot of interlacing. I changed the script to use Decomb's Telecide(), and it showed less interlacing, even though it still detected it... though that was using a threshold of 25.

The interlacing mainly seems to occur on scenes with a lot of bold black lines, and obvious movement - which for anime is quite a bit. In this particular movie, the black outlines are fairly jagged anyway... I'm not sure what the correct term would be, hehe. The main bulk of each frame is progressive (ie, backgrounds, etc), but once you've got characters on the screen, it starts seeing it as interlaced.

berrinam
7th March 2006, 23:22
Well, the detection of MeGUI was right, anyway, which is pleasing. However, I'm surprised that it showed interlacing WITH KernelDeint included. Also, I'm surprised that the source is only detected as 4 interlaced sections out of 62. What's the feasibility of somehow giving me a small sample to experiment with? PM me about it if you want.

desta
7th March 2006, 23:33
PM sent :)

foxyshadis
12th March 2006, 08:01
Is MeGUI really supposed to be taking over ctrl-c so that you can't copy text without the mouse anymore? In the main interface it brings up the chapter editor, in the rest it just doesn't do anything at all. Or is it just a recent "oops"?

berrinam
12th March 2006, 10:00
It's been noted and is on the feature request list:
Resolve clashes between hotkeys
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...292#post770292

dimzon
12th March 2006, 10:00
Is MeGUI really supposed to be taking over ctrl-c so that you can't copy text without the mouse anymore? In the main interface it brings up the chapter editor, in the rest it just doesn't do anything at all. Or is it just a recent "oops"?

Yeah, I really don't like how does it look && feeel too. I think we must perform massive mainform GUI rearranging/redesign. Doom9, do You agree?
I think we can create non-working new GUI prototype (just create new WindowsApplication && try to draw new GUI) to discuss about it.

foxyshadis
12th March 2006, 10:52
Oh! I didn't put that title together with my problem, thank you.

Chainmax
22nd March 2006, 00:42
Is there any difference between ChronoCross's build and the one available in sourceforge?

ChronoCross
22nd March 2006, 01:16
yes my is updated once a day if there are updates. the one on sourceforge is not the current revision. other than that they are identical.

chipzoller
6th April 2006, 14:41
Sorry for so much forum-hopping. I'll stick with this one from now on.

This is a repost of my original question:

This looks like it has become the unofficial support thread, so if this question I post is inappropriate, please do move it.

I have several AVIs I ripped from my DVDs (complete James Bond special editions) all of whose fps is 23.976. I know FFMpeg and any apps based on this have problems with this because it doesn't understand frame rates past the hundredths place, but I seem to be getting sync issues in my muxed MP4 file. When I created the AVS script the frame rate was listed at 23.975....and fiddy thousand more places afterwards and had sync issues (the video is slower than the audio) and so manually changed the script to 23.976 with no difference.

Here is the original script:

DirectShowSource("F:\Bond Movies\Diamonds are Forever.avi",fps=23.9759856527702,audio=false)
#blank deinterlace line
#crop
LanczosResize(320,176) # Lanczos (Sharp)
#denoise

I would gladly re-rip straight into a d2v project file except the DVDs aren't currently with me. Also, I encoded these long ago with DivX 4.x and verified the frame rate with Gspot and through a media player.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Second part:

My x264 encoding always fails with meGUI but not with other x264 apps.

Log:

Log for job job1-1

Channels=2, BitsPerSample=16, SampleRate=48000Hz
C:\Documents and Settings\Chip Zoller\Desktop\megui\faac.exe -b 112 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Chip Zoller\Desktop\Mega Man X5 Intro.mp4" -P -X -R 48000 -B 16 -C 2 --mpeg-vers 4 -Freeware Advanced Audio Coder
FAAC 1.24.1 (May 17 2005) UNSTABLE

Average bitrate: 112 kbps
Quantization quality: 100
Bandwidth: 12490 Hz
Object type: Low Complexity(MPEG-4) + M/S
Container format: MPEG-4 File Format (MP4)
Encoding - to C:\Documents and Settings\Chip Zoller\Desktop\Mega Man X5 Intro.mp4
frame | elapsed | play/CPU
3338 | 12.2 | 5.83x

job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
No desired size. Continuing without making any changes.
Starting job job1-2 at 9:48:15 AM
"C:\Documents and Settings\Chip Zoller\Desktop\x5.avs" -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=700:nocabac:4x4mv:i4x4:qp_step=4:direct_pred=1 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Chip Zoller\Desktop\x5.264" -of rawvideo
Processing ended at 9:48:16 AM

Log for job job1-2

MEncoder dev-CVS-050928-16:38-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 7)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

Exiting... (error parsing cmdline)
Error: Unrecognized commandline parameter detected.

Sharktooth
6th April 2006, 15:08
your mencoder build is too old. also why using mencoder to encode with x264? get a recent x264 build instead.

chipzoller
6th April 2006, 15:13
your mencoder build is too old.

Is the build from 01/01/2006 that is 8,205,824 bytes the most current build?

chipzoller
7th April 2006, 21:07
Also, I downloaded and encoded a file with Sharktooth's iPod profile for meGUI and each file I encode (the only thing I change is the bitrate, down to 200 and 2-pass automatic) does not play on my iPod. Can anyone confirm that this profile works for them?

ChronoCross
7th April 2006, 22:26
it works. plays fine on my friends ipod.

chipzoller
7th April 2006, 22:34
Ok I figured out why. I generated an AVS script from a 4:3 AR AVI file. The resize had 352x240, but when I put in the AR as 4:3 then ticked "suggest resolution" the x-axis filled in at 320 and y-axis at 240, but the resulting AVS script saved it as 352x240, so while the file encoded that resolution isn't supported with that AR. Is this perhaps a bug in the script generation?

Sorry folks...it works.

chipzoller
8th April 2006, 15:45
Another Q that's unrelated...I want to use MeGUI as my complete "backup" software package and would like to start backing up some of my more-played DVDs. I do not have a hardware player that can play any MP4 content back, so I'm wondering if I should still encode XVid in MKV for future compatibility? I tried doing a test encode to Xvid with AAC audio wrapped in an MKV container (using mencoder for xvid) and the prog. crashes (or skips the encode steps, then exits) right when it gets to the encode steps. Since the app closes (and I don't see an option to disable this) I can't see the log and none is generated in the log folder.

So I guess this has 2 parts: Is MKV with Xvid a good bet for future device compatibility? & how can I stop megui from exiting on completion of queues/Xvid encode issue?

many thanks

berrinam
8th April 2006, 23:15
So I guess this has 2 parts: Is MKV with Xvid a good bet for future device compatibility?Probably not, because there is no commercial backing behind mkv.

how can I stop megui from exiting on completion of queues/Xvid encode issue?Sounds like a bug. Can you come up with a fool-proof way of reproducing it, or test it the way I described here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=810642#post810642)?

Thanks

chipzoller
9th April 2006, 03:28
I'm in the process of setting everything up to test this. It's important for me to note that meGUI didn't always behave this way. It only started in the last few encodes, and every subsequent encode has completed with the crash issue, even if the queue finished successfully.

Bathrone
9th April 2006, 05:38
When doing a MeGUI version upgrade, its ok to just unzip and overwrite the existing MeGUI installation right? Thanks

berrinam
9th April 2006, 05:41
Yep. It is.

Bathrone
9th April 2006, 06:07
Thanks, please allow me to show my appreciation for your work, Doom9s and the other people involved in this great app.

berrinam
9th April 2006, 06:09
Thanks, please allow me to show my appreciationNUP!!!! Why would I allow you to do that??? ;)

Thanks, anyway.

PhAtfiSh
12th April 2006, 14:59
Hi, im using megui for the first time having used gknot and virtualdub to encode for a long time.

Im having a problem however, i have encoded my audio for this rip which went fine. But when i come to do the video, the two jobs i created (for first and second pass xvid) complete in under a second with no encoding taking place. Then jobs are then flagged as "done".

The avs its using to encode plays fine in MPC, so its not a bad avs file as far as i can see. Any idea what is causing it not to do any video encoding?

Logs bellow, thanks.

Starting job job1 at 14:44:03
"G:\part1.avs" -ovc xvid -o NUL: -passlogfile "G:\part1.stats" -xvidencopts pass=1:bitrate=700:max_key_interval=300:packed:vhq=1:chroma_me:lumi_mask:keyframe_boost=100:kfthreshold=1:kfreduction=20:overflow_control_strength=10:max_overflow_improvement=10:max_overflow_degradation=10
Processing ended at 14:44:03
Log for job job1
Starting job job2 at 14:44:03
"G:\part1.avs" -ovc xvid -passlogfile "G:\part1.stats" -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=1305:max_key_interval=300:packed:vhq=1:chroma_me:lumi_mask:keyframe_boost=100:kfthreshold=1:kfreduction=20:overflow_control_strength=10:max_overflow_improvement=10:max_overflow_degradation=10 -o "G:\RIPPING.MPEG4\class.of.76\part1.avi" -of avi -ffourcc XVID
Processing ended at 14:44:04
Log for job job2

chipzoller
12th April 2006, 15:04
I had this problem when using mencoder for Xvid and found that everything was in place, but the build of mencoder I got either must have been wrong or gotten damaged somehow. I've had luck with the version of mencoder within the Mplayer package on the official site.

And I think Celtic_druid also has some builds of this?? In any case, the version at the mplayer site does work.

PhAtfiSh
12th April 2006, 15:14
thanks chipzoller, the version i used was linked in the sticky guide in this forum. Ill try another version.

edit: yep the build from the official site works.

Dayvon
27th April 2006, 15:52
Is there a way to have an AVI as the input in MeGUI?

Basically, I have a 2.5min uncompressed(RGB) 4.7GB video that I want to convert to -AVC in .mp4- or better yet -AVC in .mov- for net distribution. So I'm wondering since MeGUI MUST use AVISynth how do I get the script to work with MeGUI? I can't seem to find a way to get AVISynth to load the AVI.

Help?

chipzoller
27th April 2006, 15:53
Tools->Avisynth Script creator

Dayvon
27th April 2006, 15:58
Oh my word. Easiest. Fix. Ever.

I had tried that on previous versions and it didn't work. God bless you and curse my stupidity. Thx!!

foxyshadis
27th April 2006, 16:02
Opening the avi through megui (or dropping it in) will also bring up that screen nowadays. ;)

thuongshoo
8th May 2006, 08:43
HI ! MeGui has "Queu analyse pass" button. What is it used to ? I finished configure x264 config, and click that button, click "enqueu" button. Then, I choose queu tab, click start. I have no mp4 file. Why ? thank you ! :o

berrinam
8th May 2006, 09:58
Queue analysis pass queues an 'analysis' pass, which just plays through the video. This is useful for some avisynth scripts. If you don't know why, then it's not useful for you.

Why you don't get an mp4 file is a completely different issue. Check that you have created a video encoding job, and check that it has completed successfully (it should say 'done' if it has). Also check that you have MeGUI set up to point to x264.exe and mp4box.exe.

If you can't solve your problem after doing these, then try again, and if it still doesn't work, post your logfile from then.

thuongshoo
9th May 2006, 05:48
Thank berrinam! I have a mpeg file. Open it by Megui,.... choose tab filter, analyse. Megui suggest that I should deInterlace . Ok! I agree. ! My file is a music video. Singers sing 2 songs. At the first part of converted file, video and audio is sync absolutely. Oh! very surprising! When singers sing 2nd song, video and audio isn't sync. Why ?
I am said that MPEG video can be a hydrid video. So
analyse-step helps converting file with the best efficiency.
WMV is too. Megui a program base on AVIsynth. Why can't Megui open wmv files ? license ? I wite a avs file by myself and Megui still work :D I dont' know the way to analyse WMV files so I can't have a best file if I convert wmv files. Do you think that Megui will support wmv files ?
Thanks!

berrinam
9th May 2006, 06:19
What happens when you try to open a wmv file in MeGUI?
What is the script that you right yourself that works?

I suspect it may be that MeGUI is unable to detect the framerate of the wmv file. In that case, there is pretty much nothing you can do at the moment. I have a few planned extensions that might help later, but for now if you have a script that works and you want to analyse it, then do the following:
Write your script.
Use the program included in makeAVIs to create a fake avi file which wraps your script.
Open this avi file in MeGUI and analyse the video from there

cjaar
10th May 2006, 07:12
Want try megui for xvid encoding, but i coudnt find how do i encode xvid with CM, i see only h263/MPEG no custom matrix.
Is there a way to using CM in megui.

thx
cjaar

berrinam
10th May 2006, 08:28
Get 0.2.3.2135 or later.

ariga
10th May 2006, 09:45
0.2.3.2135 8 May 2006
Commit by berrinam:
- PAR is now in the video player, not the codec config (it's not a codec-specific thing, conceptually)
Neat, but the player shows up only if "Open Preview..." option is set. Is it possible to bring up the preview window without it or once it has been closed ?

berrinam
10th May 2006, 10:15
Hidden feature: Double-click on the input file textbox. That'll open the player.

thuongshoo
10th May 2006, 13:59
I open mpeg-2 file. DGIndex appear but it don't do anything. If I open mpeg-1 file, there is no problem. I try to run DGIndex at AVIsynth's plug-in directory, open mpeg-2 file, choose file/save. Oh! Job is finished within 30 seconds. Why ?

Thanks!

Doom9
10th May 2006, 14:35
@thuongshoo: please read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105160 and try again.

ariga
11th May 2006, 08:37
Hidden feature: Double-click on the input file textbox. That'll open the player.
Whoa ! Thanks. (And then ariga went clicking on every item in the GUI looking for hidden features :D )

thuongshoo
14th May 2006, 06:42
Doom9! you don't seem to know my problem.
Before, I load mpeg file into MEgui --> DGIndex will appear and work--> I have a .d2v file.
Now, ...., DGIndex doesn't do anything. I must choose file/open to load mpeg file into DGIndex and then I must choose file/save.
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5295/meguiopen8kl.th.png (http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meguiopen8kl.png)
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9175/meguiopen11nt.th.png (http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meguiopen11nt.png)

Doom9
14th May 2006, 12:23
which dgindex version are you using?
Can you take the dgindex commandline ("C:\Program files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[E:\SES\[HD]Eugene-Cha Cha [MBC 2003.09.05].MPG] -OF=[E:\SES\[HD]Eugene-Cha Cha [MBC 2003.09.05]] -exit -OM=0)

start a command prompt, paste the line and run it and see what you get?

Also, could you try to rename the file so it has no brackets in it anymore? dgindex uses the [] brackets like the command prompt uses quotes for long pathnames/pathnames that contain spaces, and since your filename contains the same brackets, it may or may not confuse dgindex. It may still work from within dgindex because from the gui this never becomes an issue.

wacco
14th May 2006, 16:14
Help. Whenever I use Create new avisynth script, the video file (output) will appear while encoding at the right location, but when encoding is finished, it disappears!

thuongshoo
16th May 2006, 10:21
which dgindex version are you using?
1.4 beta 7 , newest
Can you take the dgindex commandline ("C:\Program files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGIndex.exe" -AIF=[E:\SES\[HD]Eugene-Cha Cha [MBC 2003.09.05].MPG] -OF=[E:\SES\[HD]Eugene-Cha Cha [MBC 2003.09.05]] -exit -OM=0)
the phenomena is the same. DGIndex doesn't run.

Doom9
16th May 2006, 12:34
@wacco: you may know what you're refering to, but ask yourself if given the info you have given, would anybody who is not in front of your computer and watches what you're doing understand what you're trying to say? I know megui but I have no idea what you're talking about.

@thuongshoo: my last reply to you had another paragraph.. could you try what I wrote in that paragraph, too?

Carpo
20th May 2006, 11:47
i have 2 little questions - prob stupid but here goes anyway :)

i notice in 2148 that the mp4box.exe is 1.6mb - the one i have which allows me to add subs to a mkv is only 600K, can the one in megui support subs or should i use the ver of mp4box i have dated mp4box-20060505 ?

also seeing as support for neros new aac encoder is now in megui would it make any diff if used the sse2 exe instead of the one thats with megui (renaming it of course)

berrinam
20th May 2006, 12:21
I haven't been keeping track of which builds are the best to use. Consequently, since the files included in AutoUpdate were all chosen by me, they may or may not be the best choice, in which case someone should tell me so I can fix it. Anyway,
Yes, it is ok to use the sse2 version.
You can probably use whatever version of mp4box you want, as long as it is relatively recent. However, since MeGUI doesn't support vobsub subs in mp4box yet, it's rather pointless

Carpo
21st May 2006, 13:28
ok another stupid question on the way

i know to tick the source is anime for animation and such - but would it also apply to GCI - as in Final Fantasy Advant Children?

as i am planing to backup that next

Latexxx
21st May 2006, 15:01
I can't get Megui to start. Or actually it will start but it crashes when checking for updates. Replicated on two computers with Megui 2148.

Edit: I found 2149 and it seems to work.

berrinam
21st May 2006, 22:25
ok another stupid question on the way

i know to tick the source is anime for animation and such - but would it also apply to GCI - as in Final Fantasy Advant Children?

as i am planing to backup that next
This is not such a stupid question.

Let me outline what ticking 'Source is Anime' does:
It is only relevant for the deinterlacing stage
For framerate decimations (if there are any) it forces a different mode which is better for anime, in which there are many duplicate frames

So, if your source has lots of duplicate frames (like a duplicate every third frame, is what I mean), then, yes, tick it, but otherwise no.

berrinam
21st May 2006, 22:31
I can't get Megui to start. Or actually it will start but it crashes when checking for updates. Replicated on two computers with Megui 2148.I've updated many times from
2148 to 2149 without any problems. If this causes a problem again, can you report it on the bug report thread so we can try to track it down please?

Carpo
21st May 2006, 22:31
im more confused now than ever ;) how will i know if i have dupe frames will megui tell me ?

sorry for all the questions but i have only just started doing backups with megui so im still trying to find my feet as it were with all the options, but if i never ask i'll never get 100% out of it :)

berrinam
21st May 2006, 22:55
Well, generally you can tell whether you dupe frames from the kind of source:

Anime/cartoon sources tend to have lots of dupe frames, because it is too much work to do every frame by hand, so they tend to create it at 8fps or 12fps and double/triple frames to get it to 24fps. This is why with anime/cartoon sources, you can just assume that there are lots of duplicate frames.

With live motion sources (real life) you will tend not to get many duplicate frames, because it's real life, and nothing ever stays still. So you don't use this option for live motion.

For CGI sources...... well, I don't know, because I haven't looked at any, but I would expect that there is motion in every frame, because it is solely the computer's responsibility (not the GFX designer's) to insert smooth motion. But I'm not sure: what you can do to check is just to step frame-by-frame through the video in a few places throughout, and it will be pretty clear if the frames are duplicates, because they won't change much when you step to the next frame.

markrb
21st May 2006, 23:32
I don't know what of 2 things I did fixed my being able to autoupdate, but I will tell you both of them and maybe that can help solve the problem.

1. Downloaded the 2148 version with 2 dll's (ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll and MessageBoxExLib.dll) and replaced these files.

2. Deleted autoupdate.xml file.

After that autoupdate worked great.

Mark

Carpo
22nd May 2006, 18:15
is there any chance the bitrate calc could be sorted out in newer versions of megi - for example the ones from x264.nl or poss someone could point us in the direction of a standalone calc till its sorted ?

bkman
22nd May 2006, 19:09
Three things:

1.) Where did the DAR setting go?
2.) What does the "auto increase volume" option do? Normalise to 100%?
3.) Why not have the option of DRC in AC3 input with nicaudio?

berrinam
22nd May 2006, 22:09
Three things:

1. ) To the video preview window -- if it doesn't automatically open when you load a script, try double-clicking on the input filename to open the preview. It makes more sense to have the DAR tied into the script as opposed to the codec settings.
2. ) and 3. ) you'll have to wait for dimzon's response.

shon3i
23rd May 2006, 23:16
Three things:

2) Yes
3) It will be probably soon

rhys87
24th May 2006, 12:31
im currently having problems using megui, no matter what profile i use to encode the video rendering rate is always about 1fps, does anyone know what could be causing the problem?

Sharktooth
24th May 2006, 12:35
too much filters?

rhys87
24th May 2006, 12:38
DGDecode_mpeg2source("C:\Program Files\WebScheduler\capture\(2006-05-20 15-25) Video (02).d2v")
edeintted = last.AssumeTFF().SeparateFields().SelectEven().EEDI2(field=-1)
TDeint(order=1,edeint=edeintted)
#crop
LanczosResize(512,288) # Lanczos (Sharp)
#denoise

Sharktooth
24th May 2006, 12:42
what are your system specs? (CPU, RAM, etc...)

rhys87
24th May 2006, 12:46
athlon64 3200+, 1gb generic ram, 160gb hard drive

Sharktooth
24th May 2006, 13:05
uhm, you should get much higher speeds with that configuration.
are you sure speed doesnt change if you select "lighter" profiles?

rhys87
24th May 2006, 13:18
yep just tried 1passmaxspeed and got .78fps. I also tried not deinterlacing and got the same.

Sharktooth
24th May 2006, 13:21
check the CPU load before encoding and during encoding.
the first should be close to 0 the second should be 100%.

rhys87
24th May 2006, 13:40
yeah its at 98% when encoding, i have restarted comp as well, really starting to confusing me.

foxyshadis
24th May 2006, 18:54
Is this 1080i? That requires way more power than dvd-res.

rhys87
26th May 2006, 06:47
here is the log

--pass 1 --bitrate 1000 --stats "C:\Program Files\WebScheduler\capture\rhys2.stats" --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --filter -2,-1 --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "C:\Program Files\WebScheduler\capture\rhys2.avs"

the first pass only goes at about 8-9fps when with StaxRip goes at about 25-30fps, does deinterlacing decrease the speed that much?

foxyshadis
26th May 2006, 07:20
LanczosResize(512,288)

Wait, why not just toss a field away? EEDI2+Tdeint is a performance hog, you could just use SeparateFields().SelectEven().LanczosResize(512,288) and get practically the exact same result, since you're halving the vertical resolution anyway.

rhys87
26th May 2006, 08:17
thanks alot, foxyshadis :) problem fixed.

Xin-Hong
26th May 2006, 16:48
Hi,

I discover MeGUI with the x264 VideoProfiles, very usefull for noobs like me :p so I wonder if there is VideoProfiles for XviD

foxyshadis
26th May 2006, 18:19
Teegedeck is working on them, iirc.

markrb
27th May 2006, 03:42
Should I still be getting the warning popup about the bitrate calc not being updated with the latest version of Megui?
I have been using autoupdate since 2148 so maybe I need something that autoupdate doesn't update if this has been fixed?

I remember seeing something about the warning was going to be removed in an earlier thread.

I am running 2155, currently.

Mark

berrinam
27th May 2006, 04:05
I thought I had fixed it, but it still seems to be quite buggy, so the warning message does apply.

Carpo
27th May 2006, 07:56
no so much buggy - as completly broke :(

shon3i
27th May 2006, 11:38
No bitrate calculator working fine just need little tweaking

Carpo
27th May 2006, 13:22
2155 bitrate calc dont work here - 5587 for a single cd backup - bit much me thinks ;)

on a diff topic if i wanted to do .ts to hd-dvd (well that qual anyway prob be a 2 cd poss 1/2 dvd) is it a simple step of selecting size (original is 1920x1080i) my pc can do 1280x720 nicely, and selcting the hd-dvd profile from within megui or is there other things i need to concider, im still new to this area of backup so please excuse and old n00b ;)

Morte66
27th May 2006, 14:50
on a diff topic if i wanted to do .ts to hd-dvd (well that qual anyway prob be a 2 cd poss 1/2 dvd) is it a simple step of selecting size (original is 1920x1080i) my pc can do 1280x720 nicely, and selcting the hd-dvd profile from within megui or is there other things i need to concider, im still new to this area of backup so please excuse and old n00b ;)

Here are my experiences, such as they are:

1. If your TS is a movie, proceed much as normal. One catch: DGIndex often refuses to read TS files, it complains about missing "PIDs" whatever those are. So I process the .ts to .mpg with a program called "HDTV to MPEG" first, and run DGIndex on the results. Then AviSynth can chew the D2V file and serve it to MeGUI.

2. If it's a TV show with multiple sections including interlaced video, telecined film, archive footage rezzed up to 1080 etc, MeGUI seems to have a hard time choosing a deinterlacer that gives decent results. It's usually better to write your own Avisynth script using DirectShowSource() to get the video stream into the encoder and let DirectShow deinterlace it. [The docs say AviSynth tries to disable DirectShow deinterlacing, but fortunately I've never seen it succeed.]

3. On my usual settings, I get about 7fps for 720x576 PAL DVD backups done in single pass constant quality mode and I don't worry about how many files fit to a DVD. For 1080p/24 I want one movie per DVD so I have to do 2 pass, and I get about 1.2 to 1.4fps on each pass. It takes me 3 or 4 days to encode a movie (A64 X2 3800+). If I didn't like the ColorMatrix() filter in Avisynth so much (my backups look better than the originals), I'd just burn the TS files to two or three DVDs. Some time I'll check out how Xvid does with one HD movie on a DVD9.

4. Many a transport stream has a negative audio delay and a few hundred bytes of junk on the front of the sound. MeGUI may refuse to open these for encode using its standard NicAc3Source filters. MkvMerge doesn't particularly like muxing them straight back onto the encoded video without audio compression, either. DirectShowSource will get the sound into the encoder, and then the encode will synch/mux OK.

MajinNinja
27th May 2006, 15:21
Hi All,
I'm using MeGui v0.2.3.2116, DGMPGDec v1.4.6, TIVTC v1 RC4 and I'm having the following problem. Whenever I attempt to perform the deinterlace analysis an error window pops up stating that TIVTC.dll cannot be found and that 'tfm' is not a recognised command. I have TIVTC.dll in my avisynth dir and using it in scripts without issue. Any ideas what may be happening?

Cheers :)

Carpo
27th May 2006, 15:24
sounds like it might be a right pain in the arse, although latest dgindex (1.4.7b12) had no issues with it

guess its a case of trial and error :) to see what resssults will look like

thanks for the advice

edit: found NullPacketStripper_v013beta it seems to join the ts files together ok with no apparent sync issues :)

wacco
29th May 2006, 01:11
Excuse me, but how do i create profiles for the one click encoder? i need to encode dvd rip>avi. Megui says i need to select audio/video profiles, but there dont seem to be any of them?

http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2290506110010.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2290506110010/)

berrinam
29th May 2006, 06:52
Get a new version of MeGUI from http://x264.nl and it should be clear.

sillKotscha
29th May 2006, 16:13
just a question...

for minimal denoising of a video_clip shouldn't Undot() be replaced by RemoveGrain()?

advantage (IMHO):

- RemoveGrain(mode=1) is identical with trbarry's Undot (even the speed of the SSE version is nearly identical to that of Undot, but the SSE2 and especially the SSE3 versions are significantly faster)... = from the readme
- the denoising algo is considered to be more complex

what do you think...

sillKotscha
29th May 2006, 16:50
when using the avisynth script creator I have noticed a difference between d2v source and directshow source...

my guess is that it could be an avisynth failure because detection via d2v source is correct... see attached pictures.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4967/d2vcopy7ll.png (http://imageshack.us)

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/3914/directshowcopy9bo.png (http://imageshack.us)

Doom9
29th May 2006, 16:53
I have noticed a difference between d2v source and directshow source... And what would the difference be?

sillKotscha
29th May 2006, 16:59
have a closer look at the pictures - hint: input DAR and as a result the suggested resolution...

Edit: it is provided that the same source (vob) is used

1. loaded after d2v was created
2. loaded without d2v creation -> thus directshowsource is used...

Doom9
29th May 2006, 19:47
Your second image never loaded at work.. so there was no "this instead of this" effect for me.
Is the resolution of your VOB 720x576? That would explain the 1.5 DAR. The thing is.. in this scenario you'll never have a 16:9 DAR.. DirectShow doesn't know that.. could be that DAR flags are ignored, could be that they are taken into account. If you want reliable info, only DGIndex can provide that.

sillKotscha
29th May 2006, 20:07
Your second image never loaded at work.. so there was no "this instead of this" effect for me.

I've realized that too... sometimes the 2nd image won't load...

Is the resolution of your VOB 720x576? That would explain the 1.5 DAR.

no, it is 720x480 4:3 NTSC, but nevertheless after your explanation it is clear that directshowsource doesn't take DAR into account...

it was just a quick and dirty "hey, I have found out something" but didn't thought twice about it - sorry!

berrinam
30th May 2006, 03:04
When someone gets around to adding MediaInfoLib support to MeGUI, that might be solved, because MediaInfoLib can hopefully detect the AR of files

cc979
30th May 2006, 18:59
i've just figured out, why my .mp4 input in the avs script was not working - i've found that ffdshow 'use overlay mixer/allow output formay changes during playback' has to be on indeterminate state.

is that normal? or some kinda strange bug with megui/avisynth

wacco
30th May 2006, 20:00
Ive got the latest MeGui, and I can encode .avi files with sound like a dream using script creator. However, I dont understand how to get a DVD (I have the vob and ifo files from DVD decrypter) and convert the rip to avi/xvid? I cant seem to do it rightly even when using One Click converter. Please help.

BigDid
30th May 2006, 22:06
just a question...
- RemoveGrain(mode=1) is identical with trbarry's Undot (even the speed of the SSE version is nearly identical to that of Undot, but the SSE2 and especially the SSE3 versions are significantly faster)... = from the readme

what do you think...
Hi,

Regarding Removegrain(mode=1), Kassandro has corrected a bug present in undot(), infos here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=533526#post533526

Also be sure to use latest version from: http://www.removegrain.de.tf/ (was Pre 1.0 a few weeks ago)

If you want more than minimal denoising, give a try to mode=5 (or 6), I find it more conservative than mode=2. For stronger denoising I have switched from mode=7 or higher to Degrainmedian(mode=3,5) or less.

Did

Doom9
31st May 2006, 07:11
@wacco: There's a sticky megui guide. If that ain't enough, you gotta be way more specific as to what you don't get. Just thing on how you would explain things to your mother.. that's exactly how you should approach any such problem... asume people know nothing, just have the software and you have to guide them through everything.

Morte66
1st June 2006, 23:15
Can anyone tell me how to feed raw YUV files into MeGUI for encoding? I downloaded several GB of samples (not copyright) and I would like to do some experimental encoding. I guess the usual DGIndex thing is not on.

I thought perhaps I could find a DirectShow codec then use DirectShowSource() in AviSynth. But I can't get them to play in any ZoomPlayer/WMP/VLC, despite having a whole bunch of codecs with "YUV" in the name. I can play them very slowly using a program called YUV viewer, and the video data is fine. I just can't get it to MeGUI.

My Google-Fu has failed me this day. All help, hints, or idiot-proof walkthroughs appreciated.

berrinam
1st June 2006, 23:24
I don't know how to input raw yuv into MeGUI, but using x264.exe by itself, it will accept such files, as long as you give it the dimensions.

Morte66
1st June 2006, 23:36
I don't know how to input raw yuv into MeGUI, but using x264.exe by itself, it will accept such files, as long as you give it the dimensions.

There's a start. :) Thanks, I'll look up the command syntax.

I'm kind of hoping to do this with various encoders/formats and see what happens, including a couple of h264 profiles and MPEG2 at BluRay bitrates. But one step at a time...

Morte66
2nd June 2006, 00:38
Wow! x264 looks fantastic when you aren't starting from MPEG2.

berrinam
2nd June 2006, 01:11
Can you send me a link to where you got these YUV files?

Sharktooth
2nd June 2006, 03:14
rawsource avisynth filter.

Morte66
2nd June 2006, 09:06
Can you send me a link to where you got these YUV files?

ftp://ftp.ldv.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/test_sequences/1080p/
ftp://ftp.ldv.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/test_sequences/720p/

Slow downloads, but they finished. There's 8.24GB of 1080p, if you string it all together it's almost two minutes.

Here's the readme:

Sequence #Frames Short description
--------------------------------------------------
Blue sky 250 Top of two trees against blue sky. High contrast, small color differences in the sky, many details. Camera rotation.
Sunflower 500 Sunflower, very detailed shot. One bee at the sunflower, small color differences and very bright yellow. Fixed camera, small global motion.
Rush-hour 500 Rush-hour in Munich city. Many cars moving slowly, high depth of focus. Fixed camera.
Pedestrian Area 375 Shot of a pedestrian area. Low camera position, people pass by very close to the camera. High depth of field. Static camera.
Tractor 761 A tractor in a field. Whole sequence contains parts that are very zoomed in and a total view. Camera is following the tractor, chaotic object movement, structure of a harvested field. Very red wheels of the tractor
Riverbed 250 Riverbed seen through the water. Very hard to code.
Station 313 View from a bridge to munich station. Evening shot. Long zoom out. Many details, regular structures (tracks)

Camera: Sony HDW-F900
Recorded on (Tape): HDCam
Stored on: DVS
Frame rate: 25 fps (progressive)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Color subsampling: 4:2:0
Filter Tabs for Subsampling: -0.0063 / 0 / 0.0299 / 0 / -0.0831 / 0 / 0.3098 / 0.4994 / 0.3098 / 0 / -0.0831 / 0 / 0.0299 / 0 / -0.0063
Color conversion: ITU Rec BT 709 (SMPTE 274M)
Original files contact: oelbaum@ei.tum.de
Restrictions of use: No restrictions
Copyright: No Copyright
Date of Recording: Summer 2001
Source: Taurus Media Technik, Dr. Karl Mauthe
Producer: Martin Kreitl martin.kreitl@KirchGruppe.de
Camera Operator: Jürgen Würzinger
Camera Assistent: Yean Ives Diss

All material was recorded in summer 2001 by Taurus Media Technik.

Morte66
2nd June 2006, 09:22
rawsource avisynth filter.

Cool, now I can pad them to 1088 lines and string them together to get scene changes and so on. Thanks, Sharktooth.

{edit: Hah, I see somebody is already playing the same game: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=671348&page=10&pp=30 }

wacco
4th June 2006, 22:31
Ok, I've been trying to do this for some weeks now, without success. Now I have the time to write detailed here on forums. Sorry bad english by the way :o .

Ok, I have a ripped DVD ripped in IFO mode using DVD Decrypter. I want to convert the rip into a avi file, using Xvid as the codec. I've heard the easiest way is using the one click encoder, but I cant get this to work (problem with profiles, I cant even set them up).

I select output directory, input vob file, but no result. It just says I need to select audio and video profiles? Look at screenshot 5 - I cant select audio profile, there are no audio profiles there :scared: .

I tried one click profile setup, but I cant seem to set up one. Help.

http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2040606860493.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2040606860493/)http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2040606190494.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2040606190494/)
http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2040606250495.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2040606250495/)http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2040606200496.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2040606200496/)http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2040606590497.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2040606590497/)

Dayvon
4th June 2006, 22:42
It looks to me like you need to make a preset or download a preset. Do you want to use MP3? If so, in the main MeGui screen, click codec in the audio "box" and select mp3. Then press the button next to it saying "CONFIG". Set your parameters here (defaults are ok, maybe you want to set ABR instead of CBR) and then click the "new" button near the bottom of the window. Type in a name for your new preset!!

This should allow you to pick the settings you just saved when you use the one click encoder. I just tried this and it worked great for me!!

wacco
4th June 2006, 23:38
Thanks, i manage to start now, but then i get these errors. The one to the right first.
http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2050606420016.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2050606420016/)http://www.imagetiger.com/thumb/img2050606770017.jpg (http://www.imagetiger.com/full/2050606770017/)

Doom9
5th June 2006, 00:08
And the log would be? It almost sounds like your dgindex is somehow preconfigured to apply force film... auto force film in megui only comes after dgindex has been run and there's no way to configure force film from the commandline (at least last time I checked). And megui's automatic source type recognition comes even after that

berrinam
5th June 2006, 06:07
@wacco: You're on a very old version of MeGUI. Grab a new one from http://x264.nl

Sharktooth
5th June 2006, 12:43
this may be generally interesting: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=836694#post836694
aud-x decoder doesnt actually work with avisynth directshowsource().
since Aud-X can decode normal mp3, ac3 and pcm files, it can severely cripple the audio functionalities of MeGUI.
So, before encoding with MeGUI be sure to disable the Aud-X decoder.

wacco
5th June 2006, 17:30
@wacco: You're on a very old version of MeGUI. Grab a new one from http://x264.nl

The one click encoder only lets me utput in mp4 :confused: . Even though I created an Xvid video profile.

dimzon
5th June 2006, 17:35
The one click encoder only lets me utput in mp4 :confused: . Even though I created an Xvid video profile.
Wich audio codec do You select?

wacco
5th June 2006, 17:43
Wich audio codec do You select?

MP3 CBR. Its possible that Ive forgot to do something, I'm not sure. Sorry for being so bad at this :( .

wacco
6th June 2006, 13:34
I have recorded a video with my actions. I cant undertstand why I cant output in AVI. The result I get from my actions in the video is a mp4 file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CruYFCw-b44

Please take a look at it. In the one click encoder, only MP4 is there as an option.

berrinam
6th June 2006, 22:04
Got it. You probably should take a look at the advanced options, which you can get by checking the 'advanced options' checkbox. You can choose your format in one of them.

wacco
7th June 2006, 00:03
Thank you mister!
It looks like its working to output avi now :D . Thanks a lot! Im happy now ^^ .

M.H.A.Q.S.
12th June 2006, 12:20
I recently started testing MeGUI and StaxRip along with x264gui. There is one problem that i had with the three of them while I encode movies.

I want to encode a video file and I select the PSP profile and the output type to be .mp4 and I don't want to encode the audio and I select the codec to be x264.

The conversion is done fine by all three but the output does not run on any media player, no matter what I do. I have all the codecs correctly installed and until I select the codec to be any other than x264, it won't work.

Is there any problem on my end or is it the x264 codec?

the AVI, MKV and RAW output is fine when using DivX, XVid etc. But any encoding done with x264 won't work.