PDA

View Full Version : Creating new subtitles from vobs to create new vobs.

allanon019
18th January 2006, 04:01
I want to know if there's a way to make new subtitles for DVD files on my HDD.
It's basically an anime that has Jap only audio and the subtitles shows some grammical errors.
I don't want to end up with any stupid .avi or .mpg, I want them to play in normal DVD players.

I know that there's a demux/remux process needed, but I don't know which tools they are.

CoNS
18th January 2006, 09:48
There are various methods, which have previosuly been described numerous times in this forum section. You should use the search (http://forum.doom9.org/search.php) function...

You can do it very easily with DVDLab Pro, but this is not freeware, and it is known to create DVD subtitles that are a bit "rough" around the edges (not so nice anti-aliasing). Many newbies use this program as it's a simple to use all-in-one tool.

I (and many other users) prefer using this alternative method:

1. Demux video, audio and subtitles and save celltimes.txt (I use PgcDemux for this)
2. Create a SUP file with your new subtitles (I use SubtitleCreator, which gives you better looking subs than in DVDLab Pro)
3. Mux/author a simple DVD with the main movie only (I use MuxMan)
4. If you want to keep the menus, extra material etc. from the original DVD, you may finally copy the newly muxed main movie PGC back into the old DVD structure (I use VobBlanker's Replace PGC function for this).

In SubtitleCreator's "Tools" menu there's a wizard that automates these steps for you, if you like. I prefer doing them separately, for maximum control.

laserfan
18th January 2006, 19:00
CoNS, I've always found the subject of subtitles to be appallingly complex myself. In this case, haven't you missed a step between 1. and 2., namely that PgcDemux creates files that first need to be OCR'ed, in order to provide a text file that SubtitleCreator can work with?

It's amazing to me that no one has made an "all-in-one" tool to do what the poster has asked about, namely to be able to take an existing DVD subtitle file and edit-and-reinsert it. In his case he said there were grammatical errors; I like to remove what in many cases are "hearing impaired" items e.g.

[Engine revving]

[Coughs]

[Laughs]

[Music playing softly in background]

take these out, and leave the spoken words only. But to do this you have to:

1. Demux the DVD with PgcDemux
2. Perform a (fairly tedious and lengthy) OCR using SubRip (the only tool I know of)
3. Use Subtitle Workshop to re-work and save as a SRT file
4. Use Subtitle Creator to import this and save again this time as a SUP file
5. Use MuxMan to re-mux

Is there an easier way? Again, not to create a ST from scratch, but to EDIT a DVD subtitle and re-insert/mux?

EDIT: See, I got the above wrong already; actually SubRip works on the VOBs directly--don't have to PgcDemux yet. In fact, is there any tool which will import the output of PgcDemux directly? The .sup files I'm talking about. It looks like these are just throwaways?

CoNS
18th January 2006, 22:46
In this case, haven't you missed a step between 1. and 2., namely that PgcDemux creates files that first need to be OCR'ed, in order to provide a text file that SubtitleCreator can work with?Well, as you wrote in your edited text, SubRip can work with the VOB files directly. In fact it can't load SUP files, which are outputted by PgcDemux. However, it's true that when describing the four steps I assumed that you already have your .srt file (subtitles in text format) ready.

It's amazing to me that no one has made an "all-in-one" tool to do what the poster has asked about, namely to be able to take an existing DVD subtitle file and edit-and-reinsert it.Well, The wizard in SubtitleCreator's "Tools" menu sure isn't a all-in-one tool, but it controls the process for you, as a "bridging" application to the demuxer, muxer etc. But you still need to get your text subtitles from somewhere else, for example via SubRip's OCR function, or from subtitles sites on the internet etc.

I like to remove what in many cases are "hearing impaired" items e.g.

[Engine revving]

[Coughs]

[Laughs]

[Music playing softly in background]

take these out, and leave the spoken words only. But to do this you have to:

1. Demux the DVD with PgcDemux
2. Perform a (fairly tedious and lengthy) OCR using SubRip (the only tool I know of)
3. Use Subtitle Workshop to re-work and save as a SRT file
4. Use Subtitle Creator to import this and save again this time as a SUP file
5. Use MuxMan to re-mux

Is there an easier way? Again, not to create a ST from scratch, but to EDIT a DVD subtitle and re-insert/mux?SubtitleCreator can do this for you! In the "Tools" menu it has a function to manipulate SUP files, which lets you delete subpics within a SUP file and other useful stuff. So in your case you'd "simply" have to demux, edit the SUP file with SubtitleCreator's tool, and reauthor/mux again!

BUT there's an even easier way: jeanl has recently developed a tool, DVDSubEdit, which lets you manipulate subpics "on the fly" inside the VOB files. It's supported in the "IFO and VOB editors" section of this forum, mainly in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104058), where you'll find download links, too. With this tool you can very easily delete one or more subpics by setting the selected subpics to all transparent.

As you can see in that thread I've actually tried to convince jeanl to implement a function to scan through the subpic stream and automatically delete all subpics for hearing impaired (in brackets, []) and subpics wrapped in musical notes. However, unfortunately so far he has rejected the idea due to the work it would take to implement an OCR function to identify the brackets and the musical notes etc., but please join the choir of requests and support the idea!!

laserfan
18th January 2006, 23:43
...SubtitleCreator...has a function to manipulate SUP files, which lets you delete subpics with a SUP file etc. So in your case you'd "simply" have to demux, edit the SUP file with SubtitleCreator's tool, and reauthor/mux again!Hmmm, I have never seen such a feature but will look harder for it--I thought (still) that something else was needed to do OCR first.

...jeanl has recently developed a tool, DVDSubEdit, which lets you manipulate subpics "on the fly" inside the VOB files...I will go and look--many thanks for your reply!

smiller667
19th January 2006, 01:00
Originally Posted by CoNS
...SubtitleCreator...has a function to manipulate SUP files, which lets you delete subpics with a SUP file etc. So in your case you'd "simply" have to demux, edit the SUP file with SubtitleCreator's tool, and reauthor/mux again!Hmmm, I have never seen such a feature but will look harder for it--I thought (still) that something else was needed to do OCR first.
This is a highly misleading quote. CoNS wrote that DVDSubEdit has such a feature, _not_ SubtitleCreator.

Steve

laserfan
19th January 2006, 02:04
This is a highly misleading quote...What? Look three posts back, in its entirety:

SubtitleCreator can do this for you! In the "Tools" menu it has a function to manipulate SUP files, which lets you delete subpics with a SUP file etc. So in your case you'd "simply" have to demux, edit the SUP file with SubtitleCreator's tool, and reauthor/mux again!What's your problem, Steve? :confused:

Perhaps CoNS meant to say "DVDSubEdit"--that would explain it for me. EDIT: OK, I see now CoNS! Yes, I did not know until you pointed it out that SubtitleCreator had the "Manipulate SUP files" feature under the Tools menu. Or maybe (more accurately) I had seen it but didn't know what it did! You're right too that jeanl's tool is easier to use. Thanks again for yr help.

ai4spam
19th January 2006, 02:22
Well, as you wrote in your edited text, SubRip can work with the VOB files directly. In fact it can't load SUP files, which are outputted by PgcDemux. However, it's true that when describing the four steps I assumed that you already have your .srt file (subtitles in text format) ready.

True, but it can work with the bitmap sequences that DVDSupDecode outputs.
So... PgcDemux->DVDSupDecode->SubRip, or .sup->.txt+.bmp->.srt.
I'm not familiar with te structure of .sup files and I don't have the time, since I'm working on other stuff, to implement .sup reading in SubRip. But... since DVDSupDecode is available, it's pretty low on my list of priorities.

allanon019
19th January 2006, 06:39
I'm sorta of stumped right now. I started with subrip using the OSR to make a .srt file. And I'm able to open that in Subtitle Workshop OK, but opening it in subtitle creator gives me errors, even though it's a file extension that it can open.
All I want to do is get my .srt file converted to a .sup file so I can mux it in muxman.

CoNS
19th January 2006, 11:18
Hmmm, I have never seen such a feature but will look harder for it--I thought (still) that something else was needed to do OCR first.It's there alright! (in SubtitleCreator!) No OCR needed in this case.

I will go and look--many thanks for your reply!You're welcome!

I'm not familiar with the structure of .sup files and I don't have the time, since I'm working on other stuff, to implement .sup reading in SubRip. But... since DVDSupDecode is available, it's pretty low on my list of priorities.I hope it will work it's way into the program some day, though! It would be very nice to have that option in SubRip. I'm sure jeanl (the author of DVDSubEdit), Paddington (the author of SubtitleCreator) or MPUCoder (no further introduction needed!!) could easily help with the needed information about the SUP format, if you like...

CoNS wrote that DVDSubEdit has such a feature, _not_ SubtitleCreator.Well, laserfan is right. The quoted text was about SubtitleCreator's Manipulate SUP tool. But as I explained above, DVDSubEdit also lets you delete (bitmap) subtitles from a DVD, and in an even easier way, too: Unlike with SubtitleCreator, you don't have to demux the DVD before editing the bitmap subs. With DVDSubEdit you simply load the DVD as it is (from a harddisk folder) and edit the subtitles inside the VOB files straight away.

I'm sorta of stumped right now. I started with subrip using the OSR to make a .srt file. And I'm able to open that in Subtitle Workshop OK, but opening it in subtitle creator gives me errors, even though it's a file extension that it can open.
All I want to do is get my .srt file converted to a .sup file so I can mux it in muxman.Hmmm, the steps you describe are correct. So either you're doing some unauthorized editing of the .srt file (i.e. against the specifications of this format) before loading it into SubtitleCreator, or SubtitleCreator has a bug in the .srt parsing routine. Could you upload the troublesome .srt file, please, for further examination?

allanon019
19th January 2006, 22:23
I think it's because I skipped all the renaming parts when I did OCR, but workshop is able to open this. Subtitle creator says "error reading subtitle number 0.

BTW, I went a muxed by demuxed video files to see what happens with muxman, but a couple things went wrong.

1. I did load the cell times text in, that contains chapter info, but when I loaded intervideo up, my video doesn't have any chapters.
2. Also, the video had more than 1 audio track, but my muxed video only shows 1 audio track, I did load 2 ac3 files when I muxed them.

CoNS
20th January 2006, 10:43
Your attached zip file is still pending approval from a forum mod, so I'm not able to look at it yet. You could maybe host the file at some free hosting site instead and put a link here instead?

About the muxed output, try to play the output in another software DVD player, for example Media Player Classic, and check it. If it still doesn't show the chapters and audio correctly, you must be doing something wrong in MuxMan. Try and test your input files by authoring (muxing) a DVD using IfoEdit 0.971 instead of MuxMan and check the result.

allanon019
20th January 2006, 23:34
I finally got my subtitles working. Here's the Steps I took:

PGCdemux, for demuxing my files.

Subtitle workshop, to create my own subtitles and saved it to subrip format .srt

srt2sup or subtitle creator, (now for some reason subtitle creator can read my .srt now!) Where I made my sup file.

IFO edit: for multiplexing my m2v, ac3, and sup files

IFO edit again Opened vts_01_0 from my original (before demuxing)
TO THE FOLDER WHERE YOU HAVE THE GREEN SUBTITLES AND OVERWROTE THE FILES WITH THE ONE YOUR SAVING.

:helpful: Everything works great now!

CoNS
21st January 2006, 11:32
allanon019, the last step may work for you in your specific player, but the outputted DVD is most likely violating the DVD specs, making it unplayable in some (picky) standalone players. Also, it may give you some problems with the navigation in the DVD. Instead of simply copying and overwriting the IFO file, you should try this:

If you only want the outputted DVD to have the main movie (no menus, extras etc.), you should only change the colours inside the new main movie IFO. You can do this by loading the new IFO file into SupRemap and change the colour codes for the four colours you have used in SubtitleCreator or Srt2Sup. Or you can use PgcEdit (or IfoEdit) to copy the colours from a source IFO to the new IFO.

If you want to keep the menus, extras etc. from the original DVD, the best way is to use VobBlanker's Replace PGC function to copy the newly muxed main movie PGC into the original DVD structure. There's a guide on how to use the Replace function here (http://www.videohelp.com/~jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/adding_menus/) (step 6-8 in the guide).

There are some alternative methods to VobBlanker's Replace PGC function:

1. Load the English DVD in PgcEdit and use the "Replace VTS" function to copy the newly muxed movie into the DVD.

Or:

2. Use Windows Explorer to copy replace the original main movie VTS with the new one (renumber the new main movie VTS in the filenames, if needed, to match the old one). Use IfoUpdate or BatchUpdateIFO to update the IFOs of the original DVD with the correct information about the main movie VTS from the new DVD.

Normally the last mentioned two methods only work, if the main movie VTS only contains one PGC (the main movie). However, VobBlanker's Replace function works on PGC level, and thus it usually is the safe choice as it should work no matter how the main movie VTS is structured...

[)370|\|470!2
21st January 2006, 14:09
Subtitle disappears at exact same position. If keep playing, it never appears
again. If fast forward, then it appears after 1-2 min. What could it be?
Also DVDSubEditBeta0.76 crashes when opening this vob. Original titles shows ok
though. Btw, when extracting them back to sup, the exact string from where all
troubles starting is missing, while before muxing it seems totally fine in Subtitle creator. Did that few times, and only once, when randomly picked some sux font & color it worked for some reason. :angry:

PGCdemux -> SubtitleWorkshop -> Subtitle creator -> ReJig.

:mad:

CoNS
21st January 2006, 16:56
[)370|\|470!2, I don't understand your post. What does it have to do with the above posts in this thread?!

[)370|\|470!2
21st January 2006, 22:39
Thanx CoNS for your concern, you're so helpful!..
And if you look closely at thread's topic, you may find an answer to your question.

mpucoder
22nd January 2006, 05:48
@allanon019 - if chapters don't work it is usually because the project was saved or run prior to importing the celltimes. celltimes must be imported prior to saving or running as that is when any missing navigation (chapters and PGCs) are built. And once built they are never rebuilt (unless deleted manually in the mxp file, or with version 0.16 and later with a button in the spreadsheet).
Audio has 8 tracks, make sure you load each file into a different track, selectable with a spin control.

@all - And many of you may want to skip the demux step by using MuxMan version 0.17 or later. It has the ability to demux the audio and video from vobs, add more elements, audio tracks, or subs, and mux in one pass with no intermediate files.

naut
4th February 2006, 20:48
I have a DVDR that freezes and stutters momentarily at all 28 chapter points, and then continues playing. If playing a VOB file with WinDVD the same problems are seen at all the chapter points, but no playback problems are seen between the chapter points. I found that I could get smooth playback by demuxing everything, saving the celltimes, and re-authoring, however the subtitles would stop appearing at the point where the first chapter was, so I suspect that the .sup file is damaged in the original, and therefore can't be muxed properly. I tried both MuxMan and IfoEdit and the remuxed .sup subs still didn't work, so the next step was to use SubRip on the VOB's.

SubRip can markup italics using angle brackets, but when I imported the .srt into DVD-lab the italics markup wasn't recognized, so I had to set some of the subtitles in italics manually. Does SubtitleCreator recognize the italics markup from SubRip and set those subtitles as italics?

CoNS
4th February 2006, 21:45
SubRip can markup italics using angle brackets, but when I imported the .srt into DVD-lab the italics markup wasn't recognized, so I had to set some of the subtitles in italics manually. Does SubtitleCreator recognize the italics markup from SubRip and set those subtitles as italics?Yes it does.

the phoenix
8th February 2006, 00:34
i have a question,

how can i change the sync of my subs once i have my .sup file ?
in fact i want to add subs to a dvd but it's not sync so how can i resync it and also how can i know the delay to set ?
thx

CoNS
8th February 2006, 09:27
how can i change the sync of my subs once i have my .sup file ?
in fact i want to add subs to a dvd but it's not sync so how can i resync it and also how can i know the delay to set ?Here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=772426#post772426) is the answer.