PDA

View Full Version : Prep phase - why YUY2 or YV12 for different encoders?

FredThompson
10th January 2006, 06:33
I've noticed if the encoder is ProCoder, sometimes the preparation phase uses ConvertToYV12, sometimes it uses ConvertToYUY2.

If the encoder is HC, the preparation phase always choses ConvertToYV12.

Why is this?

scharfis_brain
10th January 2006, 08:33
ProCoder and CCE only support YUY2 as the 'native' input colorspace.
QuEnc and HCenc only support YV12 as the 'native' input colorspace.

the latter way is the better one, because no conversion needs to be applied to the chroma of the final video. But it requires understanding YV12 and interlaced/progressive. That might be the reason, why all commercial encoders don't support YV12...

jdobbs
10th January 2006, 21:04
@FredThompson

It depends on your setting of the ConvertToYUY2() option under the "Options" tab. Note: That option is ignored in CCE because it will only accept YUY2.

robot1
11th January 2006, 17:30
@FredThompson

It depends on your setting of the ConvertToYUY2() option under the "Options" tab. Note: That option is ignored in CCE because it will only accept YUY2.
Probably it would be safer to assume the same thing for ProCoder.

FredThompson
11th January 2006, 21:01
Ah, I'd forgotten about that setting for DVD-RB Pro. Disabled it now. I like to use LRemoveDust and the YUY2 version won't work with the latest filter release. Heh, thanks for the info/slap on the head.

winny
12th January 2006, 00:30
Interesting point, I previously tried CCE and had the "Convert to YUY2" and "AudioDub" options set in Rebuilder, despite me now using HC encoder exclusively.

I'll knock them off and see if I get a speed increase, although I'm willing to bet Rebuilder already accounts for the user error and ignores the settings anyway!

jdobbs
12th January 2006, 01:11
DVD-RB knows the requirements and sets it accordingly for HC. You get YV12 output (it won't run otherwise).

The main reason for that final conversion is to make sure any "Convert" lines that may be added as a filter won't cause an encoder to fail.

winny
12th January 2006, 01:27
Superb, thanks for the explanation :)

guada 2
12th January 2006, 02:33
Hello :)

@jdobbs

Can one speak about superiority YUY2 mode to YV12 mode as regards calorimetry?