PDA

View Full Version : .idx/.sub info

Nozz
12th December 2005, 20:49
It seems no one can anwser my other post: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=103910

And i have used hours to search google for a program, maybe it dosent exist or i just cant find it. So anyone that can provide me with info on how the .idx .sub is made and what they have to contain etc. Also if there are any open source projects going plz let me know so i can look on some code. After that ill try to code a program my self that can do what i need.

Thx

Matthew
12th December 2005, 23:22
To answer your original question, yes it is possible to do this. There is more than one way, but one possibility (all scriptable if desired) is:
-Make SUP(s) from srt(s) using SubtitleCreator
-Author DVD using MuxMan, the SUP(s) and a still image with a long duration (e.g. 5 hours). The output will be under 100 MB and muxing is fast.
-use vsrip to extract the sub/idx from the VOBs.

edit: I just remembered, another method is covered in a sticky ;)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=78718

Nozz
13th December 2005, 01:21
Matthew, thx for the reply.. Tho i dont see a method in that sticky that says how to get to srt for the same movie into .idx/.sub.

I tried to use your method but couldnt make SUP(s) with that program, i guess you have to go export? or am i just missing it.

Anyways this way kinda sucks to, so would still love to get some info on the .idx/.sub format, and maybe links to open source progz so i can see some code.. This way i should be able to make my own program, that can do this alot easyer, with out having to waste much time on it.

Thx alot for replying tho ;)

Matthew
13th December 2005, 03:52
In SubtitleCreator you can use File->Save SUP

sub/idx is a graphic based format so you'll need to render text. And that's just the beginning.

It's possible to script the process using the apps I mentioned above. It may be a touch messy but the results are fine (I know from experience).

Nozz
13th December 2005, 19:02
Well not in the version i got from doom9.org? Anyways i would still like some info on what the .idx contains, as I said this method sucks badly anyways. I will code a app my self so you only have to say, convert and then it does it all by itself ;)

Matthew
13th December 2005, 23:30
SubtitleCreator may be downloaded via the sticky in this forum. I'm using 1.9.1.

This method works just fine...it is very reliable and fast (once scripted), and cannot be faulted on that account. What is can be faulted on is it's messiness.

Anyway, if you want source code then AFAIK the only person you can get it from is gabest, as he is the author of VobSub and vsrip. If I recall correctly, the sub file is equivalent to all the subpicture packets in the vobs.

Good luck, I think you'll need it :)

Yusaku
18th December 2005, 20:02
Son2VobSub is GPL, so feel free to modify it. ATM my domain is a bit broken, but I am sure you'll find it with a bit of googling. You might want to look for Son2VobSubMod as well - even though the code is even dirtier than mine (really, it seems possible!), it adds some useful stuff...

The sub creation should be easy to comprehend, it is just a procedure that eats bitmaps and outputs vobsub - just modify it so that at the end of one input SON it starts processing next, that's IMO all that needs to be done.

And be sure to use the same palette in both SON scripts, or surprises await you ;)