PDA

View Full Version : SAA711x WDM driver: Is customizable ?

MarcioAB
16th November 2005, 16:54
I have a MSI 6600 VTD - SAA7115 based video capture card.
Looking the SAA7115 datasheet shows the chipset has many features.
The Philips WDM DirectShow driver provided by nVidia is a key piece to explore the chipset features, but I think the driver is not well explored (at least for me).

There are many options in the driver INF file, but I use only the default ones, for example: HKR,,OutputFormat,,CCIR656 from options like:
"YUV422", "YUV411", "YUV420", "YUV410", "YUV9", "RGB565", "RGB888", "CCIR656"

So, my points are:

Will any change on those values, reflect (better) on the capture applications ?

Can the capture application communicate (via driver) with the hardware to exploit some hardware features ?

When I change the capture size in the capture application, does the capture application communicate with the hardware scaler feature to deliver output on that size or is the output from the driver fixed on 640x480 and the capture application make the resize ?

I will thank you for any information on that direction.

Marcio

Wilbert
16th November 2005, 17:15
So, my points are:

Will any change on those values, reflect (better) on the capture applications ?
No, you should choose YUV422. See analog capture guide.

When I change the capture size in the capture application, does the capture application communicate with the hardware scaler feature to deliver output on that size or is the output from the driver fixed on 640x480 and the capture application make the resize ?
All of this is answered in the analog capture guide too.

MarcioAB
20th November 2005, 07:47
I can only get 640x480 from Video Capture Pin of any Capture application I try ( VirtualVCR, VirtualDUB, iuVCR, Media Player Classic, etc ).

I know the SAA711x family capture at 720x480 (unscaled).

So, the nVidia WDM Capture driver (a version of Philips WDM driver) is the resposable for this loss.

I would like to know if anyone with any version of Philips SAA711x WDM driver can get the unscaled 720x480 from the Video Capture Pin ?

Thank you for share
Marcio

[EDIT]
Just discovered that PREVIEW window must be turned OFF in order to change the CAPTURE PIN.
Thanks

Dmitry Vergheles
25th November 2005, 12:04
I have a MSI 6600 VTD - SAA7115 based video capture card.

Can the capture application communicate (via driver) with the hardware to exploit some hardware features ?

Marcio

In fact it depends on the driver implemenation.
Almost always a driver doesn't realize all the chip abilities.
At the same time WDM driver can handle some KSPropertySets with features that can't be controlled through an user mode API :)

In any event you can always try :)

MarcioAB
26th November 2005, 00:09
Are there any Windows application for SAA7115 that I could try to play with some chip features ( reading and writing to SAA7115 registers I guess ) ?

Thank you
Marcio

Dmitry Vergheles
1st December 2005, 14:13
Actually I don't know. Try googling this question.