PDA

View Full Version : StaxRip x86 (development for x86 has been stopped)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

LRN
14th August 2006, 22:52
Probably AAC transcoding issue (if you're using AAC), i experienced this one with old bsn-nero-dll AAC encoding. Are you sure you're using latest StaxRip hotfix with NeroAACEnc?)

Cocophone
14th August 2006, 22:56
I'm at work right now, but I know I'm using Staxrip 0.9.9.2.

Where do I download the hotfix?

LRN
15th August 2006, 00:01
Download StaxRip Hotfix here - http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

Astyanax
17th August 2006, 15:26
Hi:

So I've been using StaxRip for a few days now, with quite a bit of success.

However, I noticed that when I encoded a couple of my favorite TV shows, the final output experienced some interlacing. No problem, I re-encoded, applying the deinterlacing filter in StacRip and it came out great.

My question is, how do I tell in advance if my SOURCE file will need deinterlacing? I look at the VOB directly and there are no visual clues. It looks great. I'd hate to have to encode it twice, especially since I'm using x264 codec at HQ-Slowest!

Is there a way to determine it?

Thanks!

LRN
18th August 2006, 00:06
Ah! The thing is - you must look into unfiltered VOBs. You see, your media player probably applies deinterlacing automatically when you opening VOBs in it. If you want to see the REAL picture, use Crop (F4) window in StaxRip - it will show you raw, unfiltered image from DVD. Also, it is good to use Preview window (F5) in StaxRip to see video, wich will be passed to video encoder, with all filters applied (crop, resize, deinterlace (if it is switched on)). It may give you a clue, is you need to use some additional filters (deinterlace, denoise, etc), or not.

Cocophone
18th August 2006, 03:30
I downloaded and installed the hotfix and staxrip downloaded neroaacenc. When I use staxrip I get an error message popup about an unsupported version of Neroaacenc. What version of neroaacenc is compatible with staxrip updated with the hotfix?

LRN
18th August 2006, 09:58
It's ok. StaxRip knows only one particular version of NeroAACenc, but Nero always hosts newest one (and link to it is always the same). Ignore this warning and tell StaxRip to shut up

d25
18th August 2006, 23:01
I have AVI DV Type-2 video with RGB colorspace. I have filters (in order):
Source: AVISource
Noise: Medium
Misc: ConvertToYV12()
Field: Deinterlace

1. FluxSmoothT() aka “medium” ("low" & "heavy" too) noise remover requires YV12 Colorspace, so move it down.
2. Try DirectShowSource() instead of AviSource().
IMHO, it seems staxrip isn’t in development, and there is another perfect GUI in the field - MeGui ;)

Djago
20th August 2006, 00:24
Hi

I'm tried to use staxrip with multiple mp4 files, but I can't make staxrip behave correctly with my selected bitrate with xvid (no matter how I select it, single, double pass, quantization type, or whatever, I always get ~4000kbps...). What Can I do? Is there a step-by-step tutorial for staxrip with jobs?

Thx!

batfink
20th August 2006, 12:13
I'm using the latest version of Neroaacenc 1.0.0.2...But i'm not 100% sure if its doing what its supposed to do.

I read somewhere that AAC encoding was more efficient than MP3 so i decided to give it a go.

My results have been less than successful.

Using Staxrips audio profile AAC- HE5.1 VBR 200-250 kbps, the output file is 5.1 channel....but its 384 KBPS (same as the input file)...however the output 5.1 MP4 file is actually bigger than the original demuxed AC3 file.

So i tried AAC HE VBR 50-70 kbps and it came out as (AAC 48000Hz stereo 129Kbps [English (eng)]) and is basically the same size as an Mp3 file created using the MP3 VBR 110-150 kbps profile.

I'm not really an expert with Besweet command code, here's what the command line looks like for AAC HE 5.1 VBR 200-250 kbps "%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.4 -6chnew )

and in the boxes above the command line it says Output type "AAC-HE MP4" Bitrate "225"

So why does the 5.1 come out at 384 instead of about 225 and the 50 to 70 VBR is comming out at about 130.

Does this version of neroaacenc not work...or have i just missed something really obvious...or perhaps i'm just stoopid :)

LRN
20th August 2006, 12:31
"-vbr 0.4" is a mistake. Author of these presets didn't know exactly, wich value of -vbr switch results in wich bitrate

Modify preset AAC- HE5.1 VBR 200-250 kbps: change "-vbr 0.4" to "-vbr 0.3".

-vbr 0.3 =~ 220 kbps
-vbr 0.2 =~ 150 kbps

Also, there's no more "HE" thing in NeroAAC. NeroAAC automatically applys HE and HEv2 methods for low-bitrate AAC, but stays LC in high-bitrate AAC, and StaxRip does NOT forces using of HE or HEv2. Wich means, resulting AAC MAY be HE or HEv2, or MAY be just LC.

Flexy
21st August 2006, 20:03
There is NO "aac.dll" with Nero 7...i am 100% positive. I installed the latest Retail Nero 7/Nero Recode 2 etc.

There is a aacenc32.dll and other stuff in C:\program files\common files\ahead\audioplugins.

But there is no "aac.dll" anywhere on my HD.

When i start staxrip and want/set to to encode to AAC and* THEN go to options/tools/external applications (under the BeSweet entry) it says that it cant find a necessary dll for AAC encoding and to reinstall Nero Recode. (Which i did a few times already).

(I also searched in all the CAB files coming with Nero 7 and in the staxrip/application folder etc.) No aac.dll

Edit:
after a long search i found an aac.dll in the Nero 6 (!) package and copied it over to the besweet folder.....the programmer should be aware of the fact that Nero 7 has no aac.dll.....there must be a better way to do AAC encode than to rely on the OLD dll which comes with Nero 6 !

LRN
22nd August 2006, 05:09
AFAIK, StaxRip relys on NeroAACenc.exe (wich is 901 120 bytes long) rathen than aac.dll (wich is also 913 408 bytes long).

tekNerd
22nd August 2006, 09:37
A little help please.
Staxrip worked great until yesterday when I starting to have this errors:

1 (http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/431/screenshot22082006102004bu5.png) - this is if I let AutoCrop borders on in the settings.

2 (http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3483/screenshot22082006101837ny8.png) - this is if I turn off AutoCrop in the settings, but I do an AutoCrop in the crop pass.

I have all installed and no clue why is happening. If you can help, please do that.
Thanks!

Peace out!

Ps: if u need the diagnostic files please let me know!

Gehenna
22nd August 2006, 10:43
@tekNerd

Is it a particular source that fails? ,or does it throw up the same error on everything?

Is `Save Cropping` enabled in View/Project Options/Advanced/Dangerous ?

tekNerd
22nd August 2006, 13:03
The source files are some CamStudio screen captures with the
--> {MSU Screen Capture Lossless Codec v1.1}. Other screen captures with the same codec and the same CamStudio work.
I think the not workin' files are just corrupt. Ya, well sorry to bother with this stupid problem. I will find a workaround. Thanks for the help!

Peace out!

hihat
22nd August 2006, 21:15
Hi, how do I import the settings from an earlier version of StaxRip to the latest version? Specifically the xvid settings which are setup perfectly (and since I did them such a long time ago I don't remember exactly how I set them up). I'd like to import these same settings to the latest (hotfix?) version. Thanks.

LRN
22nd August 2006, 21:55
You can't. I suggested Stax to implement flexible backward compatible options system via XML, but he said it's too complex for him to write quickly, or something like that.

Flexy
23rd August 2006, 02:35
AFAIK, StaxRip relys on NeroAACenc.exe (wich is 901 120 bytes long) rathen than aac.dll (wich is also 913 408 bytes long).

megui does that. staxrip wants the dlls.

LRN
23rd August 2006, 04:53
Then maybe you have incorrect BeSweet version?

batfink
26th August 2006, 11:34
Ya, thanks very much...changing that number did the trick. Strangely enough i found that if i changed that number to 0.3 that the sound when muxed to the video, came out as 24khz instead of 48khz..This would be fine except that i use XBMC to watch the things i make and XBMC just wouldnt play the files smoothly with the 24khz audio...So by changing the number to 0.31 i still get a variable bitrate between 50 and 70..but its 48khz..strange..

Anyway all is good now..thanks for your help

"-vbr 0.4" is a mistake. Author of these presets didn't know exactly, wich value of -vbr switch results in wich bitrate

Modify preset AAC- HE5.1 VBR 200-250 kbps: change "-vbr 0.4" to "-vbr 0.3".

-vbr 0.3 =~ 220 kbps
-vbr 0.2 =~ 150 kbps

Also, there's no more "HE" thing in NeroAAC. NeroAAC automatically applys HE and HEv2 methods for low-bitrate AAC, but stays LC in high-bitrate AAC, and StaxRip does NOT forces using of HE or HEv2. Wich means, resulting AAC MAY be HE or HEv2, or MAY be just LC.

batfink
26th August 2006, 11:39
Anybody here gor experience with Dual Core CPU's and X264 encoding in Staxrip...
I encode on a P4 3.0 ghz with Hyperthreading...When i'm encoding in X264 if i tell Staxrip that i have 2 threads..my encoding goes slightly faster..but only slightly...Maybe 11 to 12 fps with the second thread compared to 10 fps with the single thread.

anybody used an AMD x2 or a Intel Core 2 Duo..does adding the second thread with these CPU's increase encoding speed much.

LRN
26th August 2006, 15:38
24khz instead of 48khz It's AAC with SBR then. Maybe you could force NeroAACenc.exe to use LC profile...But i don't know how to do this through BeSweet.
So by changing the number to 0.31 i still get a variable bitrate between 50 and 70..but its 48khz..strange..
I didn't know that you can use "0.xx", not just "0.x" :-/
As for your case, you raised bitrate of output file, thus making NeroAACenc.exe think that it's high enough to not to use SBR.
If you're wondering, what is SBR - look at http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/aacPlus.htm and http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/sbr.htm

anybody used an AMD x2 or a Intel Core 2 Duo..does adding the second thread with these CPU's increase encoding speed much.
That's EXACTLY what i'm trying to figure out too. If someone knows dualcore influence on encoding performance - please tell us.

batfink
27th August 2006, 15:18
Encoding something in H264 with AAC sound. You have the choice of encoding the AC3 file to AAC audio or use an existing AAC file.
Here's the strange thing..The Audio is encoded first *before* the H264 video....Then the Video is encoded..and then after that, the Audio and video are muxed together to create the final file.

However if you tell stax to encode the Audio first..then the H264 video encoding goes a good 5 frames slower than if you tell Stax that you have an existing sound file.

This makes no sense to me...They are separate processes...The audio encoding has absolutely nothing to do with the Video encoding......Hence the type of audio you have shouldnt effect how fast the video is encoded.

Is there something i'm missing.

LRN
27th August 2006, 17:32
Weird. This shouldn't be. Maybe your FPS measuring technique is flawed? Usually, encoding starts at high FPS and slows down later.

Gehenna
27th August 2006, 17:34
Thats quite bizarre batfink.

I just a a little test myself, and with encoding AC3 to AAC or Adding existing AAC file,the X264 encoding are within 1 second on each other:

Encoding AC3 to AAC

---------- Audio Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 17:14:15
End time: 17:14:45
Duration: 00:00:29
Speed: 207 fps
Size: 4.8 MB
Bitrate: 166.06 kbps
Video Bitrate: 1340 -> 1304

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding ----------

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\DVD Tools\x264\x264.exe" --bitrate 1304 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --trellis 1 --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --output "D:\New Folder\1pass_1340br_aac_EncoderOutput.mkv" "D:\New Folder\1pass_1340br_aac.avs"

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 17:14:45
End time: 17:20:58
Duration: 00:06:13
Speed: 16 fps

Adding Existing AAC:

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\DVD Tools\x264\x264.exe" --bitrate 1304 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --trellis 1 --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --output "D:\New Folder\1pass_1340br_ADD_aac_EncoderOutput.mkv" "D:\New Folder\1pass_1340br_ADD_aac.avs"

Start time: 17:21:37
End time: 17:27:52
Duration: 00:06:14
Speed: 16 fps

Are you sure its a FULL 5fps difference?
U Sure you had no other processes running between your AAC encoding run and your ADD exisiting AAC Run?

batfink
28th August 2006, 05:07
Ok, i've just run another batch of tests...First though, i cleaned out the directory i was testing with and just kept the D2V and Vob file.

I think Stax may have crashed without giving me any noticable errors. I encoded Stargate Season 8 Pal in 560x304, but found that it was to high a resolution for the Xbox to handle for some Scenes (Especially scenes in jungles with lots of leaves blowing slightly in the wind). Apart from this they played fine.

So i reencoded the lot of them..but told Staxrip to use the existing sound file. I didnt see any point in having to encode the sound again.

Except that all these new files i made play faulty in XBMC..They play fine for a while and suddenly the FPs will jump to 40 or 50 FPs then suddenly drop to 10 and jump back up to 50.

It didnt do this on the first batch....So maybe Stax had crashed..cause i agree with your findings , my test this time shows no difference in encoding speed.

When i encoded the 21 episodes first time around..it took 2 days to encode..when i started the second round of encodings...i didnt reboot or even quit Staxrip

Jacquers
28th August 2006, 07:38
The problem isnt the StaxRip, but DivXMux.exe

There is a bug / very stupid feature in DivXMux.exe that it does not apply audio delays of bigger than +-1000ms. Anything bigger than that simply gets ignored.

dalihrp
31st August 2006, 04:20
No New update for StaxRip?
I prefer it over others, because its easier to use, just like autoGK.

Sirber
2nd September 2006, 00:32
I just downloaded StaxRip. I plan to use it for my DVD Rips. Would be cool though to have an installer with everything. Kinda long to download all 12 packages :)

batfink
2nd September 2006, 11:26
But it would take just as long to download if its all together..in fact it would take even longer cause right now you only need to download the bits that your going to use.

Probably the only benedit from downloading everything all at once is that things with broken downloads like NeroAACenc wont be a problem.

Took me a little while to source NeroAACenc off the Nero site (its not obvious where it is on their site) and then even longer to figure out exactly where Staxrip wants it placed

SeeMoreDigital
2nd September 2006, 11:45
Indeed...

As someone who primarily feeds StaxRip with elementary MPEG-2 .M2V (video only) streams, it's quite handy not having to download software and codecs I don't need - especially a whole load of Java stuff.

Cheers

LRN
2nd September 2006, 15:17
Note to everyone: You have to download fresh DGIndex (StaxRip will cry about "unsupported version") to open HDTV *.ts files in StaxRip. Make sure to put dgdecode.dll also in AviSynth plugins dir.

bira
2nd September 2006, 18:04
I'm trying to choose between StaxRip and Megui and I'm liking StaxRip better.

I noticed that every application needed by StaxRip have a new version available. Can I use the newest versions without any problem?

Is StaxRip still being developed? If it has stopped, I'd rather stay with megui.

LRN
2nd September 2006, 21:40
Can I use the newest versions without any problem?You can use most of them with StaxRip, but
1) Staxrip will ALWAYS warn you about unsupported version, you should check ("always use unsupported version") to shut it up.
2) New functionality of new version (if any) will not be available (if it doesn't used automatically, i.e. new commandline switches). StaxRip just don't know about it.

Development is halted. For good? I don't really know. I'll stick with StaxRip while it can sustain my DVDRIP'ing needs.

MeGUI is good too.

batfink
4th September 2006, 10:41
Ya, i've had a decent play with MEGUI as well...and prefer Staxrip. One of my main pet dislikes about MEGUI is this.

When you first load in a D2V file..it presents you with a resize box so you can choose your Resolution..after you choose your resolution, you choose "Save" and give it a name.

Now..the *ONLY* way to get back to that resize screen is to delte that AVS script that you created when you chose "Save". Reloading the D2v file wont do it..That will automatically load the AVS script file. Thats annoying..i want to be able to change the resolution when i feel like it and have it generate an new script based on my new settings..Not make me delete or rename the old script first.

Well thats my 2 cents worth on "WHY I PREFER STAXRIP OVER MEGUI" :)

batfink
4th September 2006, 11:35
Yup, i know your probably sick of hearing from me and i'll probably get a hostile reception like it got over at the DGINDEX forum recently (boy!!. were they not friendly) :).

But i figured its worth passing on what i've learned recently..even if its just to save somebody else banging their head against the same brick wall.

Recently i was encoding Stargate Season 8 Pal to H264 with a resolution of 560x304. The aspect ration was .86% which was fine. I was encoding them as Single Pass Constant quality. Quality=20, Bframes=3, Ref Frames=5 (everything was set to default) and 2 channel AAC audio. Anyway they played perfectly on the computer...but on my Xbox using XBMC there were certain scenes that suffered from framerate loss..especially during heavy jungle scenes with lots of leaves and greenery (frames could drop as low as 2 fps before jumping back to 25).

So i decided i reencode them to 528x288 (544x304 was out cause it went orange in Staxrip)..The aspect was about -44%. Cause they were in a lower res and will encode slightly faster i decided to change the settings slightly, So i left the Quality at 21 but set the Bframes to 4 and the REf frames to 6. Then i changed the Motion Estimation Method from Hexagon to Multihex and the Sub pixel Motion Estimation from 6 to 7 and left them encoding for a couple of days.

As they finished i would jump around in them to make sure they played right and were in sync..and everything seemed ok...
Ok that is till i ran one of them for a certain lenght of time on the XBOX..They would play fine for a while and then suddenly they would jump from 25 fps to 40 to 50 fps..and then drop to 10 fps and then jump back upto 50...it would continue to do this till you slightly FF the file..then it would right itself..until it hit a certain point of the file and then it would start again.

at first i thought it was after the xbox had been playing the file for a certain length of time..but not so..it was certain key places in the file that triggered the skipping..You could rewind and it would always do it on that spot..even if it had only been playing for 10 seconds.

This is no good..cant have them doing this...shit...Well it cant be the AAC sound cause the first batch i made play fine with the AAC sound...they just get a bit jerky during busy scenes.

So i set the Ref frames back to 5 and the Bframes back to 3...Reloaded all the project files and modded them all..went to bed and left them encoding...The next day i tried again...and they were still going apeshit in exactly the same places.

WTF !!!

So i set the Motion Estimation Method from Multihex back to Hexagon and the Sub pixel Motion Estimation back from 7 to 6.
And left them encoding overnight again..

Next day..Same freaking thing again...By now there is a bloody spot where my forehead used to be and a blood splattered spot on a particular wall.

Ok, i thought..With the original working files i encoded the sound as the projects were running...with each subsequint encoding i told it to use the existing AAC sound file....So this time i left it as is with the exact same settings as the working files except for resolution, but this time i had it reencode the audio as well..again.

Next day....God dammit it..same fracking frelling fragging (notice the Farscape, BSG, Doom references) problem.

Ok, so maybe they dont like what i'm doing to the AAC audio, so i reencoded them again..this time with MP3 128kb audio.
Next day....GGGAAAAHHHHHHH still same problemo

Ok..thats it....Its either every single fricking VOB files has corrupted or its the one thing i didnt think it could possibly be..The resolution.

So..yup, you guessed it..once again i loaded all the projects.
Modded each project like so
Quality=21
Bframes=3
Ref Frames=5
Motion Estimation Method = Multihex
Sub pixel Motion Estimation = 7

AAC audio VBR 60 to 70 KBP

I chose multihex and 7 to try and compensate for the lesser bitrate i would get for choosing Quality of 21 instead of 20..The lesser bitrate means the jerky bits play smoother on the Xbox.

And lo and behold..they play perfectly smooth..Its the frikken resolution..as wacky as that sounds..The Xbox would not play my Stargates smoothly at 528x288..Yet i encoded a movie "She's The Man" the other day in 528x272 and it works perfectly.

am i the only one to have this experience..Should i have taken the Red pill instead of the Blue pill.

So yeah.. if your doing H264 encoding and it dont play right on your XBMC..skip all the obvious stuff and try changing yer resolution.
maaan..my finger tips have got cramps from all this typing

Oh yeah...i also tried this problematic resolution in MEGUI and it was actually worse there..The errors manifested themselves in the same spot but whereas Staxrip files would keep on playing and you could just tap FF for a split second and the file would fix itself..the files generated by MEGUI would instantly bomb back to the XBMC interface..wouldnt even attempt to play past the faulty part.

LRN
4th September 2006, 12:03
You definetly must report this bug somewhere (x264 developement team maybe?). Just find a way to reproduce it on some short video sequence.

batfink
4th September 2006, 12:30
Ya, i still have the Stargates..i remember 1 particular episode that constantly showed the error exactly 1 minute 40 seconds into the episode. I did try cutting a chunk and for some reason the error wouldnt show up unless i encoded the whole episode (or a sizable chunk), but i was cutting from the front. Maybe the error will show up if i encode it from the start of the episode but tell it to stop at about 2 minutes in.

Cocophone
4th September 2006, 21:04
I was having a problem with the center channel mapped to the right front channel. I followed the solution below and it corrected my problem.

Probably AAC transcoding issue (if you're using AAC), i experienced this one with old bsn-nero-dll AAC encoding. Are you sure you're using latest StaxRip hotfix with NeroAACEnc?)

How would I go about fixing the mp4 files that have the channels mapped wrong? What do I need to do to demux the audio and correct the channel mapping and remux the audio and video? I would like to try this rather than redo the dvd with staxrip to save time.

Thanks for any help.

batfink
5th September 2006, 04:05
Unfortunately for us H264 users, we are not yet well catered for when it comes to video/audio editors.

But you could give AVIDEMUX a try, it comes in Linux and Windows flavours
http://www.avidemux.org/
If anybody has a version of this...um..sort of laying about..i wouldnt mind having a look at it
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=10475

Finally i did read somewhere that mainconcept also made a H264 plugin for Adobe Premiere, so if your familiar with Premiere..this might suit you...Although i cant seem to find it on their website anymore

Ok, found it..that wasnt obvious..i wasnt looking for an Mpeg plug-in
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=7862

These are about the only 3 options i know of..none of which i have tried

batfink
5th September 2006, 07:48
Ok, i just gave this a try
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=10475

Its pretty average really..Certainly no Virtualdub.
It will let you take a muxed H264 file and break it down into its separate streams.

Strangely the H264 component only worked for about 5 minutes and now gives an error...The program is regged, but the H264 (which is an addon plug-in) might be the demo version only.

It pretty much does what mp4box does..just pretty like with menu's n' such.

I had a play with AVIdemux...If your not wanting to do any major editing...You can chuck your file into AVIDEmux, set the video to copy..Set the "FORMAT" to Mpeg video and click save..This should save a RAW H264 video stream..Then you can rip your DVD again and just reencode the audio using NeroAACenc and then remux them using MP4box.

I'm no expert on Audio stuff.Especially AAC..but i'm pretty sure you cant actually *fix* your faulty audio stream.
But hey..The audio is quick to encode compared to the video.

I'm still looking around for the Adobe plug-in..I rekon that sounds the most promising..Will let you move audio and video around as you please..fix Syncing problems etc etc

batfink
5th September 2006, 08:30
Ok, so i see X264 557 is available...I'm still using 516 which was the latest version available when Staxrip stopped being developed.

Are there any advantages to using a later version of X264...I know if its got new commands that Staxrip wont make use of them...But has it had many big fixes...Speed increases..maybe supports more command sets like SSE2 etc etc. :D

Any problems with using the latest versions..What versions are you guys (and ladies :rolleyes: ) using.

LRN
5th September 2006, 16:46
new commands that Staxrip wont make use of themIn StaxRip you could add additional commandline switches (look in codec configuration)
[quiote]I would like to try this rather than redo the dvd with staxrip to save time.[/quote]
You need only reencode audio (wich is faster than figuring out how to fix channel mapping) and mux it with already encoded video.

sander815
5th September 2006, 19:40
is it possible to add a logo filter to staxrip? Thats the only option i am missing in staxrip, to blend a logo into a vid

batfink
6th September 2006, 01:29
Logo stuff
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43921

JoergS
6th September 2006, 17:51
Hello,
I am using StaxRip to encode PAL 704*576 avi files, captured from VHS. I'd like to convert it into DivX with the same resolution, but StaxRip wants to convert to something like 704*528 to get the correct ITU ratio and square pixels. Is it possible to encode non-square pixels in DivX? I tried to disable resize filter, but without success.

BTW if I want to look into the source code of StaxRip and want to build the executables, which software from MS do I need?

dalihrp
7th September 2006, 00:29
Hi,
When i encode movie at lower res, 720 -> 640, which resize filter is recommended? neutral, soft or sharper?

:thanks:

btw> i wish stax or someone else update staxrip more.

batfink
8th September 2006, 06:01
Hmm, if somebody was going to update Staxrip a bit, what would you have them do ?

I had one minor problem with it, and thanks to the help of people in this forum, thats no longer an issue.

Now Staxrip does pretty much everything i need it to do.

Gehenna
8th September 2006, 09:27
Im with Batfink on this,Staxrip does pretty much all you could want straight out of the box,and if you wish to tweak CLI/Filters/Layout then its all adjustable as LRN said.

I feel Stax got it right first time (okay second time after DVX),and unless some radical changes happen in the encoding world in the near future,Staxrip will serve you well into the future and beyond.

Just because its not being actively developed at this point in time does not make a third rate product,you only have to see the number of users still using still GK and AGK.

Note: I noticed that Stax has updated the Staxrip web site,it has had an overhaul in August,so i guess Stax is around ,but keeping low profile
http://www.planetdvb.net/

batfink
8th September 2006, 11:01
Geez Gehenna,
Is that you rig i see in the picture in your Signature.
Didnt i see something like that hanging off the back of a Borg ship in Startrek TNG.

Where's the Flux Capacitor dude :)

Dude, Does Dual Xeon chips make your encoding go faster...Like Double speed..Basically trying to find out what X264 encoding speed is like on a Dual Core machine....Dual CPU is even betterer

Gehenna
9th September 2006, 15:19
Where's the Flux Capacitor dude :)

Huh,its next to the Heisenberg compensators .geez what a newb!! :)

I guess the SMP architecture in theory kinda doubles your speed. (Unlike H/T) ,These days the 604 socket 533FSB Xeon comes complete with Zimmer Frame,but im happy enough with my encoding rates with x264(build 555) using Sharktooth`s "Slower" profile in StaxRip,where i see 90-95% (Combined) usage....

Im still amazed at some people running the insane profile ,then complaining its taking 40hours to complete on their Athlon`s

For me ,ballpark figure is 5-6 hours on "Slower" Profile for 2hour Movie.

LRN
9th September 2006, 19:15
Nearly 8 hours for me @ P4 3.2Gh with HT, same profile.

VirtualTraveler
9th September 2006, 19:30
I am new to Stax.

I want to squeeze a video I took with my Cannon A620 Powershot to less than 100 meg for posting on YouTube.com.

Every time I load one of my avi's into Stax, the first thing the program does is to rip the audio out into a wav file.

When I try to write the video into any type of format, I get the error message "nnnnnn.mp3 not found"

Since the audio was ripped into a wav file, of couse there is no mp3 to be found.

Probably I have some setting wrong. If anyone can help, I will be very grateful.

Regards
VirtualTraveler

LRN
9th September 2006, 22:36
write video into what? You mean - "start video encoding"?
"nnnnnn.mp3 not found" - means you specified mp3 audio track for resulting file, but there's no such file. Check out two edit-fields on the bottom of the StaxRip window.

batfink
10th September 2006, 09:56
Comparing speeds is sort of hard unless everybody uses the same movie for comparision....4x3 encodes slower than Wide Screen, and Wide screen encodes slower than Anamorphic.

Also resolution and Bitrate play a huge role as well.

For me, Encoding the Matrix with X264 which is 2:03 hours long and is Anamorphic with a resolution of 720x288 with a bitrate of 1000 on a P4 3.0 ghz with HT using Slower Profile.

First pass took about 1:50 hours and went at about 28 fps
And second pass looks to be about 9:00 hours at about 5:56 fps

batfink
10th September 2006, 10:01
First of all, in the "Filters" box, did you change the "Source" from Mpeg-2 to AVI.

Secondly under that where the two Audio boxes are..Double click in the first box and point it towards your WAVE file. Its gotta know there's an audio file to be able to convert it to mp3

I am new to Stax.

I want to squeeze a video I took with my Cannon A620 Powershot to less than 100 meg for posting on YouTube.com.

Every time I load one of my avi's into Stax, the first thing the program does is to rip the audio out into a wav file.

When I try to write the video into any type of format, I get the error message "nnnnnn.mp3 not found"

Since the audio was ripped into a wav file, of couse there is no mp3 to be found.

Probably I have some setting wrong. If anyone can help, I will be very grateful.

Regards
VirtualTraveler

ScubaJoe13
13th September 2006, 04:39
I really like the StaxRip package, but I am having one small problem that I am hoping to get some help with.

The source I am using gives a picture that is way to dark, so I have to make some adjustments during processing. I have found two filters by Donald Graft (http://neuron2.net/), brightness/contrast and hue/saturation, that are plug-ins for vdubmod that work wonderfully to correct the picture. I have just been doing a manual 2-pass with vdubmod. I would like to use StaxRip, but I cannot figure out how to incorporate these filters into it.

The filters are called bright.vdf and hue.vdf, and as far as I can tell they have NO associated dll files, which I think is the problem. I have placed the files in the correct plug-in sub-directory (in fact out of frustration I have put them in every conceivable directory under StaxRip). I have followed the directions for writing the scripts to add filters, and I have had someone who has used the program extensively try to help me with the scripting, all to no avail. I have even used the script that vdubmod uses when you use pre-saved processing settings (from the .vcf file vdubmod creates to save settings). I have made adjustments to these scripts to try and get them to work, and the filter just keeps on resulting in an error out.

If anyone has any experience with vdubmod .vdf filters and getting them to work in StaxRip, help would be greatly appreciated.

batfink
13th September 2006, 08:34
I canna really help you there..not much experience with Scripts n' dll's n' such.

However , your using VirtualdubMod ?...And your loading the file into Staxrip...Does this mean its some kind of an Mpeg 2 file.

Have you tried using the Luminance filter in DGIndex to fix your problem. (thats if its an Mpeg source file)

ScubaJoe13
13th September 2006, 22:07
TY for your response, and by looking at the preview while adjusting the 2 luminescence settings in DGIndex, it appears as if it may work as a replacement for the filters I was using in vdubmod. And yes, I am working with .vob files specifically.

Unfortunately the same question remains: how do I get the luminescence filter turned on and the settings I want ( Gamma +84, Offset -6) to load in StaxRip?

TY again

simonhowson
16th September 2006, 13:38
First, I should declare that I'm a newbie who only started using StaxRip a week ago (after failing to get MeGUI to work).

I've succesfully encoded some music videos ripped from DVDs, but now I'm trying to work with entire films.

I have set the encoder to 2 pass mode, however at the start of the second pass I got the following errors:
avis [info]: 320x176 @ 25.00 fps (163775 frames)
x264 [error]: Error: 2pass curve failed to converge
x264 [error]: target: 731.00 kbit/s, expected: 311.26 kbit/s, avg QP: 22.0000
x264 [error]: try reducing target bitrate or reducing qp_min (currently 22)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 3DNow!
encoded frames: 2130/163775 (1.3%), 63.23 fps, eta 0:42:36

I'm running the encoder with 2 threads to take advantage of my dual core CPU, and I set the target file size to 650 MB. Is it complaining that the file size is too big or small?

I have no idea what "Error: 2pass curve failed to converge" means, but it doesn't sound good.

Another unrelated question, if I am encoding a black and white DVD, do I need to set something in the encoder to optimise it for black and white? Like can black and white films be compressed more, or faster than colour films?

UPDATED: Unfortuantely the file turned out to be only 300 MB, even though I think I set the target file size to 650 MB. I do not understand why the file size is so small :-(

UPDATE 2: I've got another question. How do I know whether or not I need to use the DEINTERLACE filter? Is there a way to automatically detect whether or not the source needs deinterlacing?

Any help will be appreciated.

LRN
16th September 2006, 16:31
Is there a way to automatically detect whether or not the source needs deinterlacing?Not in StaxRip. In StaxRip you should look at Preview window to decide. This isn't bad, since you have to look anyway - to check aspect ratio, noise (denoise is the filter i use more often than deinterlace), etc.

As for your issue with x264, please, post full logfile and some info about DVD you RIPing. And try http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-August/013746.html

simonhowson
16th September 2006, 16:50
The DVD I am ripping is Taxi Driver (PAL version). I am using the iPod x264 profile.

The first time I tried to do a 2 pass encode with the file size set to 650 MB. However it gave the error described in my previous post, and produced only a 330 MB file.

So I tried encoding again, this time I used the one pass bitrate option, with a bitrate target of 555 Kbps. However this time it produced a file size of 301 MB.

I encoded the audio manually using iTunes AAC, 96 Kbps VBR. Which produced a 78.5 MB sound file.

Here is the StaxRip log for the second encode. Unfortunately it has over written the log for the 2 pass encode:

---------- Compressibility Check ----------

Command Line: "C:\TOOLS\STAXRIP\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --crf 18 --no-cabac --analyse p8x8,b8x8 --subme 6 --me umh --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --level 1.3 --qpmin 22 --output "H:\TAXIDRIVER\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1_CompCheck.264" "H:\TAXIDRIVER\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1_CompCheck.avs"

---------- AviSynth Script ----------

MPEG2Source("H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1.d2v")
Crop(12,10,-8,-14)
BicubicResize(320,176,0,0.5)

Command Line: "C:\TOOLS\STAXRIP\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --bitrate 555 --no-cabac --analyse p8x8,b8x8 --subme 6 --me umh --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --level 1.3 --qpmin 22 --output "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264" "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1.avs"

Start time: 11:37:25 PM
End time: 12:31:09 AM
Duration: 00:53:43
Speed: 51 fps

---------- Muxing ----------

Command Line: "C:\TOOLS\STAXRIP\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -fps 25.000 -add "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264:name=Video" -add "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1 01 en-English 2_0ch 192Kbps1 DELAY 0ms.mp4:lang=eng:name=English" -chap "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02 - Chapter Information - OGG.txt" -new "H:\TAXIDRIVER\VTS_02_1.mp4"

---------- Muxing Statistics ----------

Start time: 12:31:10 AM
End time: 12:33:04 AM
Duration: 00:01:54
Speed: 1436 fps

---------- Overall Statistics ----------

Start time: 11:37:25 PM
End time: 12:33:04 AM
Duration: 00:55:39

LRN
16th September 2006, 18:18
H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.
650 Mb means ~785 kb/s (TaxiDriver is 103 min), while iPod supports only up to 768 kb/s.
As for 555 kb/s...I don't know. Try to read link i posted above, or google for this error. This is really x264 problem, StaxRip is ok, so...ask somewhere else :)

simonhowson
17th September 2006, 02:12
650 Mb means ~785 kb/s (TaxiDriver is 103 min), while iPod supports only up to 768 kb/s. Is the 768 Kbps/s limit for the total file, or only the video compoenent of the file? As for 555 kb/s...I don't know. Try to read link i posted above, or google for this error. This is really x264 problem, StaxRip is ok, so...ask somewhere else :) OK.

Cocophone
17th September 2006, 17:19
I'm trying to understand the which AAC preset has better quality sound.

I'm ripping a DVD that has Dolby surround, but it says 2 channel Dolby. I think it has a Left, Right and a Rear surround.

The ending file size is not important. I usually select either a 1 gb or 1.5 gb file size in Staxrip. I'm playing the resulting MP4 file using Zoom Player on my TV with the sound processed by ffdshow and out the soundcard's spdif to my receiver.

Should I use HE VBR 50-70 kbps or LC VBR 110-150 kpbs?

SeeMoreDigital
17th September 2006, 18:26
I'm trying to understand the which AAC preset has better quality sound.

I'm ripping a DVD that has Dolby surround, but it says 2 channel Dolby. I think it has a Left, Right and a Rear surround. Personally speaking I use BeLight (Beta Daily 2006-06-29) to convert 6Ch AC3 to 6Ch AAC-HE...

I don't do anything fancy, I use CT's (WinAMP) AAC encoder, set it to 5.1 Output Channels and select 128 or 160Kbps...

To my ears I prefer CT's AAC encoder to Nero's ;)

Cocophone
17th September 2006, 19:00
But what would you do for older DVDs that are not 5.1 surround, but are the older Dolby surround?

From wikipedia
Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic Matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track by using phase shift techniques. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder playback the audio as standard Stereo.

SeeMoreDigital
17th September 2006, 21:36
But what would you do for older DVDs that are not 5.1 surround, but are the older Dolby surround?No problem...

Both my Blade Runner DVD's have been encoded with Dolby ProLogic audio as an 2Ch AC3 stream.

When I encode such sources to an 2Ch AAC stream and play them back in Media Player Classic, my external DSS amp is able to faithfully decode the stream in "ProLogic" surround sound ;)

Cheers

LRN
17th September 2006, 21:44
Should I use HE VBR 50-70 kbps or LC VBR 110-150 kpbs?
Obsolete.
HE VBR 90 kbps is: "%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.4 -2ch )
LC VBR 110-150 is "%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.6 -2ch )
As you can see, only "-vbr" switch is different. For me, ~220 kbps is ok, so everything you need is to encode some stereo ac3 with several different values of "-vbr" switch to figure out wich value you should use for 220 kbps. I know only that -vbr 0.3 results in ~190 kbps for 5.1 AAC, while -vbr 0.4 results in ~250 kbps for same file.
Also, there's NO more HE and LC AAC, since NeroAACenc enables HE profiling automatically for low-bitrate encodes, while StaxRip DOESN'T force NeroAACenc to use HE or HEv2 profile. Resulting file MAY be HE or HEv2, or MAY NOT be.

Cocophone
18th September 2006, 03:03
Thanks for the help.

vigi_lante
21st September 2006, 03:32
Anyone could please rehost that hotfix ?

Thanks.

theredbaron37
22nd September 2006, 16:20
Hello,
I recently gave up on AutoGK because of it's lack of command line automation. I tried a script for it but it didn't work well. I really like StaxRip, especially the command line features. However, I am not very experienced with CL stuff and I was wondering if you wonderful folks could help me out. I use Gb-PVR to record TV shows in MPG-2 format. After each recording, a post-processing batch file is launched. The batch calls on a commercial skipping utility, a video cutter to cut them out, and a file renaming utility. I would like to add transcoding to XVid to the batch, and I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with command lining to do it.

I've created two templates: one called sitcom that takes a 20-30 min show and converts to 175MB xvid avi, and another called drama that takes a 40-60 min show and converts to 350mb xvid avi. The way to tell if an mpg-2 falls into either category is that anything above 1.3GB will be considered drama, and anything below can be considered sitcom.

What I would like to do is have a batch/script (might need specific instructions) that does a few things:
1) Runs as one script until completion, so that batch items after the script is called don't run prematurely.
2) Decides what template to use for a file (based on the size requirements above)
3) Runs without user input
4) If an encoding is in progress, and another recording is completing in PVR, the new recording gets queued and encoded after the current one is complete.

I've looked at the command line stuff and so far came up with:

"C\Directory\StaxRip\StaxRip.exe" -t:drama -e %1

That did not work, I got error messages saying: could not find file " ". I am admitedly a total n00b, but I'm pretty savvy at picking up this stuff. I just need some help figuring out what I need to do to accomplish the objectives listed above. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

theredbaron37
23rd September 2006, 17:14
Any ideas?

Flexy
23rd September 2006, 23:00
is there any way to load vdub(mod) filters and then use the filter GUIs to set-up the filter parameters ?

Eg. i want to use the virtualdub filter "whitebalance 2.0", i know how to load/add the filter in staxrip....but how can i access the filter-properties then...maybe preview in staxrip, play around with settings until they are ok...and then start an encode in staxrip with those settings ?

staxrip is REALLY good...i hope the development didnt come to an halt ?!

batfink
24th September 2006, 06:28
LRN dude,
Yesterday i went to a Lan session, and whilst there, i had the opportunity to play with a AMD 3800 X2 which had Staxrip installed.

Unfortunately i didnt get a lot of time, but i did manage to perform a small test.

The machine i had with me was an XP3200 running at 2.2 GHZ.
I grabbed an 800 meg DVD chunk and ran it through Staxrip encoding using X264. The settings arent really relevant here..only the results.

The XP 3200 managed approx 5 to 6 fps

The 3800 X2 running at 2.0 GHZ managed between 14 to 16 fps for the exact same file with the exact same settings. (with 2 threads turned on). I didnt have time to test same file with one thread.

My P4 3.0 GHZ managed between 7 to 9 FPS for the same file , same settings.

So yeah, there is a definite speed increase with the Dual Core CPU's..Even more i would imagine if you went with one of the Faster X2's like the 4200 (2.2 ghz) or one of Intel's Core 2 Duo's

AMD 4200 X2's are a good buy at the moment..i might look into one of those

simonhowson
24th September 2006, 09:17
StaxRip & NeroAAC issues.

StaxRip keeps telling me it can't find the NeroAAC encoder files. It tells me to install Nero Recode which I already have installed on my system.

I've tried copying the NeroAAC DLLs into every StaxRip folder, but it can't find the files.

I usually process the audio manually using BeSweet and iTunes AAC encoder.

Can anyone explain to me what files I need to put where to get NeroAAC encoding to work?

batfink
24th September 2006, 10:33
Yup, put the files themselves here "Applications\BeSweet"
Dont put them in a directory in the Besweet dir, just put the files

neroAacDec.exe

neroAacEnc.exe

neroAacEnc_SSE2.exe (you can rename this to neroAacenc.exe if you have a machine with SSE2 instructions.)

neroAacTag.exe

in the besweet directory....and make sure you dont have a neroAacenc directory floating about anywhere else in the staxrip directory structure.

Staxrip will probably complain that you have the wrong versions...thats fine..they still work

LRN
24th September 2006, 10:57
how can i access the filter-properties then...maybe preview in staxrip, play around with settings until they are okYou CAN change filter's settings. Right click on filter, Edit..., Script. Here you can change whatever settings you want, then close this window and look at preview screen. Not very convinient, but it works.

simonhowson, check what BeSweet core switch you're using. You should use latest BeSweet and "bsn" switch (not "dimzon").

batfink, WOW! Now, i REALLY WANT some of those toys :)

simonhowson
24th September 2006, 13:56
simonhowson, check what BeSweet core switch you're using. You should use latest BeSweet and "bsn" switch (not "dimzon"). Thanks for this tip, but I still can't get this to work. I edited the command line, removing dimzon and adding bsn. I then tested the command line by clicking EXECUTE, but then it started making an MP3 file!

BeSweet v1.5b31 by DSPguru.
--------------------------
Using hip.dll v1.19 by Myers Carpenter <myers@users.sf.net>
Using lame_enc.dll v1.32 (22/12/2005), Engine 3.97 <http://www.mp3dev.org/>.

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : H:\TEMP\ABC TV Sunday 24September2006 157AM.mp2
[00:00:00:000] | Output: H:\TEMP\ABC TV Sunday 24September2006 157AM_AudioOutpu
t.mp4
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: Yes
[00:00:00:000] | Overall Track Gain: 10.567dB
[00:00:00:000] | Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
[00:00:00:000] +-------- LAME -------
[00:00:00:000] | Bitrate method : CBR
[00:00:00:000] | MP3 bitrate : 128
[00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : Joint Stereo
[00:00:00:000] | Error Protection: No
[00:00:00:000] +---------------------
[00:00:36:312] transcoding ...

I've coppied all the Nero files over, but it still complains and tries to constantly re-download BeSweet.

This is the command line for the Nero AAC profile:
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn ( -dllname bse_Nero7WA.dll -2ch -vbr_normal -codecquality_high -aacprofile_lc )

LRN
24th September 2006, 16:52
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.3 -6chnew )
"%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d %delay% -g max ) -bsn( -vbr 0.3 -2ch )
Syntax is different for bsn

simonhowson
24th September 2006, 17:04
Syntax is different for bsn
Thanks. But I still don't understand why the Nero AAC profile is trying to transcode from MP2 to MP3, then putting that inside an MP4 container.

Or is it only using LAME_ENC.DLL as an MP2 decoder?

Anyway, the MP4 file it produces won't play (I tried in WinAMP)

Here is the dialog box

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3858/audiosettingsih9.jpg

theredbaron37
24th September 2006, 18:18
So does this mean I'm on my own to figure it out?

Flexy
24th September 2006, 22:03
You CAN change filter's settings. Right click on filter, Edit..., Script. Here you can change whatever settings you want, then close this window and look at preview screen. Not very convinient, but it works.

i know i can manuallt "change" the settings by putting the settings directly in the script - but i am talking about accessing the filter's property/settings page.

It's dificult because some filters need a LOT of trial/error...eg. whitebalance in vdub where i have to play around w/ different frames 'til i finally have a good setting for the whole movie.

It would be VERY inconvenient if the ONLY way to do this woudl be from within VIRTUALDUB....then find the settings in vdub..and then copy/edit the settings and put it in the avisynth-script file for working with staxrip.

Some filters are more interactive than others, and i really need a way to do stuff with them withing staxrip. Otherwise i really wouldnt need a GUI like staxrip - i could as well do all the encoding manual :( Or do some odd/long winded workarounds which defies the purpose of a tool like staxrip.

Cocophone
28th September 2006, 16:03
I recently starting using the MKV container instead of the MP4 contain with staxrip and I notice something weird with the audio track.

The audio track file that is transcoded by besweet using Nero aac encoder is listed by ffdshow audio as 48,000 Hz 6 channel AAC

When I play the movie and look at the ffdshow audio its 96,000 Hz 6 channel SBR AAC.

Also, ffdshow is sending the audio to my receiver using spdif. The audio track that is 48,000 hz is Dobly digital on the receiver, the receiver says the 96,000 Hz audio is Stereo.

I've attached my log file

Thanks for any help

LRN
30th September 2006, 21:19
DieHard 3, 128:31, 720x480

Pentium4 540J (3.2 Ghz), P5WD2:

MPEG2Source("C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
LanczosResize(720,288)

Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 1051 --stats "C:\dvds\diehard3\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.stats" --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --ref 1 --output NUL "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1.avs"

Start time: 1:33:20
End time: 3:12:00
Duration: 01:38:39
Speed: 31 fps

---------- Second Pass Encoding ----------

Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1051 --stats "C:\dvds\diehard3\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.stats" --ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --analyse all --8x8dct --no-fast-pskip --subme 6 --me umh --trellis 2 --mixed-refs --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --output "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1_EncoderOutput.264" "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1.avs"

---------- Second Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 3:12:00
End time: 16:35:36
Duration: 13:23:36
Speed: 4 fps

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.6 Ghz), GA-965P-DS3:

MPEG2Source("C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
LanczosResize(720,288)

Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 1051 --stats "C:\dvds\diehard3\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1_newcomp.stats" --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --ref 1 --output NUL "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1_newcomp.avs"

Start time: 15:35:47
End time: 16:23:48
Duration: 00:48:01
Speed: 64 fps

Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1051 --stats "C:\dvds\diehard3\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1_newcomp.stats" --ref 10 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --analyse all --8x8dct --no-fast-pskip --subme 6 --me umh --trellis 2 --mixed-refs --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --output "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1_newcomp_EncoderOutput.264" "C:\dvds\diehard3\VTS_01_1_newcomp.avs"

Start time: 16:23:48
End time: 0:11:29
Duration: 07:47:40
Speed: 7 fps

Conclusion:
3.2 Ghz -> 2x 2.6 Ghz
31 -> 64 fps
4- > 7 fps
2xcores, 2xspeed!!!!

batfink
1st October 2006, 15:41
Awwwww maan, you bitch..You totally beat me to it.

Where in the Intel chain is the E6600..Is that the really expensive chip or the next one down.

Interesting, your first pass went more than double the speed, and you second pass was just under double.

and they rekon quad cores are just around the corner...mmm 28 frames of encoding goodness

Did you notice any difference in the audio encoding speed..during my test, it didnt seem to be any faster...but i didnt get much play time so wasnt sure ?

LRN
1st October 2006, 19:14
E6300->E6400->E6600->E6700->X6800
Don't know about audio. I think, neroaacenc is singlethreaded.
Don't expect much from first Intel 4-core CPUs, they're just two 2-core ones bound in one crystall.

DivX_Luver
3rd October 2006, 22:49
Does any one know if StaxRip will support the new DivX 6.4 Codec any time in the near future?

LRN
4th October 2006, 11:49
Tools->External Applications->Codecs & Encoders->DivX.
Path: %windir%\system32\DivX.dll
So, if divx.dll from 6.2.2 is compatible with divx.dll from 6.4, then yes, StaxRip DOES support DivX 6.4

Warrex
8th October 2006, 11:26
Well, DivX does not work properly anmore. At least for me StaxRip fails to pass the correct bitrate on to the DivX 6.4 codec. DivX, Inc. obviously changed the CLI to incorporate the new encoding modes. Sigh.

I really hope that Stax will show up here some day with some small fixes.

Stax, if you read this: PLEAAASE! :)

vigi_lante
8th October 2006, 16:38
StaxRip still works with DivX 6.4 using target quantizer ?

MaxPlanck
10th October 2006, 03:48
Hi Guys, I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me. Been toying with staxrip for a few weeks now, have had great success with my movies. The problem is I've been trying to use the ipod profile, but I can't seem to get it to work. I know there are specific limitations that the ipod has, but I assumed that was what the ipod profile was for. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about staxrip to be more specific. Could someone either point me in the right direction or possibly take a stab in the dark as to what is causing my problem?

MrMine
10th October 2006, 10:40
I've problem with staxrip and divx 6.4:
When it start encoding virtualdubmod gives error -100 !!
Is it a problem of incompatibility betweeen divx 6.4 and staxrip?

Thnks for help,and i hope for new version! I love staxrip!

batfink
11th October 2006, 05:56
Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ
Soltek EQ3401-300P
http://www.soltek.de/soltek/product/qbic.php?isbn_st=SL-B8E-FGR&qisbn_st=EQ3401-300P&LWH=34.05(L)x24(W)x23.5(H)

The Matrix 125:53 - Slower Profile - Single Thread

MPEG2Source("F:\Matrix\VTS_02_1.d2v")
Crop(0,78,-0,-78)
BicubicResize(720,288,0,0.5)

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 1043 --stats "F:\Matrix\Temporary Files\Matrix-P4.stats" --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --progress --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --ref 1 --output NUL "F:\Matrix\Matrix-P4.avs"

Start time: 12:47:21 AM
End time: 2:48:10 AM
Duration: 02:00:48
Speed: 26 fps

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1043 --stats "F:\Matrix\Temporary Files\Matrix-P4.stats" --ref 5 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --me umh --trellis 1 --mixed-refs --progress --no-psnr --output "F:\Matrix\Matrix-P4_EncoderOutput.264" "F:\Matrix\Matrix-P4.avs"

Start time: 2:48:10 AM
End time: 12:01:08 PM
Duration: 09:12:57
Speed: 6 fps

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -fps 25.000 -add "F:\Matrix\Matrix-P4_EncoderOutput.264:name=Video" -add "F:\Matrix\VTS_02_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -24ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng:name=English:sbr" -new "F:\Matrix\Matrix-P4.mp4"

Start time: 12:01:08 PM
End time: 12:04:16 PM
Duration: 00:03:08
Speed: 1004 fps

Start time: 12:47:21 AM
End time: 12:04:16 PM
Duration: 11:16:54

AMD Athlon 4200 X2
Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G Rev 1.x
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2283&ModelName=GA-M55plus-S3G
The Matrix 125:53 - Slower Profile - Two Threads

MPEG2Source("F:\Matrix\VTS_02_1.d2v")
Crop(0,78,-0,-78)
BicubicResize(720,288,0,0.5)

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 1043 --stats "F:\Matrix\Temporary Files\Matrix-X2-4200.stats" --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --ref 1 --output NUL "F:\Matrix\Matrix-X2-4200.avs"

Start time: 7:29:29 AM
End time: 8:22:12 AM
Duration: 00:52:43
Speed: 60 fps

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 1043 --stats "F:\Matrix\Temporary Files\Matrix-X2-4200.stats" --ref 5 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --bime --direct auto --filter -2:-1 --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --me umh --trellis 1 --mixed-refs --progress --threads 2 --no-psnr --output "F:\Matrix\Matrix-X2-4200_EncoderOutput.mp4" "F:\Matrix\Matrix-X2-4200.avs"

Start time: 8:22:12 AM
End time: 12:05:30 PM
Duration: 03:43:17
Speed: 14 fps

Command Line: "E:\Cdrive\Video Encoders\StaxRip 0.9.9.2\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -add "F:\Matrix\Matrix-X2-4200_EncoderOutput.mp4:name=Video" -add "F:\Matrix\VTS_02_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -24ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng:name=English:sbr" -new "F:\Matrix\Matrix-X2-4200.mp4"

Start time: 12:05:30 PM
End time: 12:07:30 PM
Duration: 00:02:00
Speed: 1569 fps

Start time: 7:29:29 AM
End time: 12:07:30 PM
Duration: 04:38:01

As you can see..a huge difference in speed..I'm not sure why the first pass is so much faster on the X2..i know i forgot to put the second thread on in the first test..but that would have been using Hyper threading..and thats really only good for 1 or 2 frames more at best.
The second pass was more what i expected..just over double.

MrMine
12th October 2006, 08:29
Nobody has problem with divx 6.4 and staxrip?
No solution

cranners
12th October 2006, 19:12
Nobody has problem with divx 6.4 and staxrip?
No solution

I use StaxRip with divx 6.4. However, I set StaxRip to use VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod.

vigi_lante
12th October 2006, 20:22
What settings are you guys using with DivX 6.4 ?

I still cant notice any problem.

MrMine
12th October 2006, 23:55
I've tried virutaldub instead of vdubmod but nothin to do!

It says error -100.

I'd like to know if divx 6,4 works with staxrip to other people or not!

Thnks

vigi_lante
13th October 2006, 18:39
It works for me.

It would help if you tell me what settings are you using with DivX 6.4 so I can try to reproduce the problem here.

MrMine
14th October 2006, 21:04
I've not setted staxrip in particolar way.
I choose divx 6.4 first pass with multipass (1st)
and second pass with multipass(nth).
But nothin to do,the same error (video compression error -100) in vdubmod and also virtualdub!

I've tried to uninstall divx 6.4 and use divx 6.3...6.3 works!
So, for me and my system AMD dual core x2 4200 , divx 6.4 with starip doesnt work!

Any other ideas to solve the problem?

Thnks

ajeeb
15th October 2006, 18:51
hi, good tool really but how can I add a logo bmp with this tool without recode the video

regards

batfink
16th October 2006, 12:43
Ohhhhh, you want that MAGICAL tool that breaks the very boundaries of Space and Time.

Got a question for ya..How exactly are you planning on transferring the Logo to the video without actually reencoding the video with the logo.

Oooo oooo i know...You can draw or stiick the logo onto your monitor where you want it and make sure the video is always in the right place. ;)

Seriously dude..even Holywood folks have to reencode after they add special effects....They film the actors of Star wars in front of a blue or green screen, then they create the backdrops, then they mash the two together and run it through AGAIN in whatever cool editors they use..ok.
Cant be done..period.
Oh well unless of course your really good at using a hex editor and know exactly the right kind of code to enter into the video stream at a hex level.
Virtualdub will be your best bet to add a logo..but your gonna have to reencode it to make the logo apply.

If your talking about applying a logo to a video that has not been encoded yet..ie a vob file and a d2v file loaded into Staxrip..i think there is actually a way to add new filters into the filter box but the answer eludes me at the moment.

One of the other more learn-ed regulars might be of more help.

hi, good tool really but how can I add a logo bmp with this tool without recode the video

regards

ajeeb
16th October 2006, 17:06
dude , hi
for now I edit secondpass.vcf and put manually the code for logo
but I talk to do that automaticly using staxrip !! and so if i have joblist !!!! etc

rgrds

duncanvdlinden
16th October 2006, 18:54
for a logo just add a filter to staxrip with code like this:

Import("d:\progs\riplogos\dek.avsi")
X=601
Y=62
clip=last
maskclip = ImageReader("d:\progs\riplogos\sbs6mask.bmp")
maskclip = Loop(maskclip, Framecount(clip))
dekafka(clip, maskclip, X, Y, maskclip.width, maskclip.height, 256)

ConvertToYv12()

logo = ImageSource("d:\progs\riplogos\sbs6.bmp")
Overlay (logo, X, Y,mask=logo, opacity=0.6)

i use this script to hide a existing logo and put a own logo over it (with transparancy).
for just adding a logo you can just use the last three rules.

but iv'e also a question about Staxrip, how can i rip a TS stream that has a sound stream larger than ~2,3gb in .wav format.

Staxrip use BeSweet to encode a mpa stream to wav format before it use the trim avisynth script.
But when it has a big wav stream it gives a error, the wav file is unreadable for vdub.

Is there a solution for this? maybe it's a option to intergrate the MPAsource avisyth 2.5 plugin for it (instead of WAVsource)?

MrMine
18th October 2006, 08:59
So i've two computer with AMD Dual core X2 4200+,they has a different motherboard....Divx 6.4 and staxrip works in one, but not in the second computer....same settings...all the same! Incredible! I dont understand !

In the second computer virtualdubmod gves me always error -100 when i try to do a 2 pass encoding...It works only in 1 pass encoding!Why?

Someone can help me? PLZ

weaver4
18th October 2006, 14:25
I noticed on the AutoGK forum that len0x found that the pro (paid for version) of the 6.4 codec would work with AutoGK but the trial version would not. Could this be the same for StaxRip?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=117014 (http://http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=117014)

simonhowson
20th October 2006, 13:09
I've managed to make some 640 pixel wide x264 videos for my new 80 GB iPod. However to do this I had to amend the StaxRip iPod profile. Specifically, I changed --level 1.3 to --level 30, and added --sar 1:1.

Additionally, I used the NicMP4Box modified version of MP4Box so that the MP4 files are iTunes 7 compliant.

I'm wondering how I can automate these changes so that StaxRip will create iTunes 7 / iPod 5.5G compliant 640 pixel wide MP4 files, without having to repeatedly change the x264 command line, and without having the manually run the different muxer?

Edit: One more question. Do I need to add something to my command line so that x264 doesn't ever exceed 1500 Kbps?

simonhowson
20th October 2006, 16:31
I know it's bad to reply to your own posts... but anyway:

I've added the VBV -maxrate 1500 switch so that my encodes don't exceed 1500 at any point (apparently this is the limit for the new iPod profile).

However, x264 complained that I did not set a "bufsize". Is that the -vbvbufsize switch? And if so, what should I set it to? I am doing 2 pass encoding, with the target set at 1000, and as I said before, the max set at 1500. The source is 640 x 384, cos this DVD happens to be 1.66:1 non-anamorphic.

Clumpco
21st October 2006, 16:26
[FEATURE REQUEST]
I would like StaxRip to be able to work directly from a DVD.
[REASON]
I cap TV using a DVD/HDD recorder - If I want to then make an avi of what I've captured using StaxRip, I first have to copy the vobs to my computer hard disk.
I fully understand why you don't want to activate reading from commercial DVDs, but can't you detect copy protection and allow direct encoding from a DVD source if protection is not present ?
[ACCOLADE]
Great software !!

TIA Clive

mrdutchie
23rd October 2006, 16:30
when I try to run the compression test i get this error

sylia script error

overloaded method (string,string,int) not found

anyone else?

mrdutchie
23rd October 2006, 22:41
looks like the creator of StaxRip is nowhere to be found for the longest time...

If there are no objections, I want to update the version to a latest version, and make some changes to it....

Why does it need Java for getting my AC3 Files?
- Java
- ProjectX

Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod what is the difference
only the AC3 ?

Maybe that's why I have that error (see message above)
I just renamed virtualdubmod.exe to virtualdub.exe

downloaded a virtualdub version also...

- All codecs / filters are outdated in this program

email me at pkappetein69 at yahoo.com if you would like
me to continue this product

mrdutchie
25th October 2006, 19:16
i am having problems with audio not in sync

no matter what the source is. the audio
is getting out of sync

for ex:

MPEG the AC3 files has a -33 Ms delay

I do see in the the command line -33 but seems like nothing is happenning with it

also it detects NTSC 29.97 but in all the profiles it's PAL
so I need to change them all by hand...

anyways.... anyone had the audio part working just fine?

MPEG --- AVI
MPEG --- MP4

VOB ---> AVI
VOB ----> MP4

Sound getting way ahead in the clip

mrdutchie
26th October 2006, 17:59
ok... the delay is cause by dgindex 1.48

dgindex 1.45 works fine.

making a bunch of updates to the program with the updated versions..

also fixing the resize / cropping / compression issue
since that whole part is just weird...

fegul
27th October 2006, 05:02
i am having problems with audio not in sync

no matter what the source is. the audio
is getting out of sync

for ex:

MPEG the AC3 files has a -33 Ms delay

I do see in the the command line -33 but seems like nothing is happenning with it

also it detects NTSC 29.97 but in all the profiles it's PAL
so I need to change them all by hand...

anyways.... anyone had the audio part working just fine?

MPEG --- AVI
MPEG --- MP4

VOB ---> AVI
VOB ----> MP4

Sound getting way ahead in the clip

I've had issues with the audio always being behind the video, I'll try your suggestion and downgrade DGindex

EDIT: no go, didnt work

ch@@boom
2nd November 2006, 14:30
looks like the creator of StaxRip is nowhere to be found for the longest time...

If there are no objections, I want to update the version to a latest version, and make some changes to it....

Why does it need Java for getting my AC3 Files?
- Java
- ProjectX

Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod what is the difference
only the AC3 ?

Maybe that's why I have that error (see message above)
I just renamed virtualdubmod.exe to virtualdub.exe

downloaded a virtualdub version also...

- All codecs / filters are outdated in this program

email me at pkappetein69 at yahoo.com if you would like
me to continue this product

a lot of ppl (including myself) will be happy to see some development of staxrip in the future ..

for me it's THE tool for encoding my DVDs/Series/etc. to xvid

** EDIT **
look at the updated site for staxrip, seems like stax is still around :)))

nickolasemp
2nd November 2006, 17:20
a lot of ppl (including myself) will be happy to see some development of staxrip in the future ..

** EDIT **

including myself as well...

mrdutchie
2nd November 2006, 19:44

** EDIT **

what updated site....
I just looked and it's over 10 weeks old... nothing new...

killerhex
3rd November 2006, 03:30
if i have input a video file with ac35.1 or aac5.1 will staxrip auto downmix

vassilij
3rd November 2006, 13:57
My staxrip don't decoder in HE-AAC, it's result in a error!
Somebody help me...
What I need?
I need input anything in Besweet folder?

ShadowRiot
14th November 2006, 09:57
I just wanted to chime in and say I think StaxRip is much better than MeGUI. I use it for archiving programs off of my Tivo. If Stax or someone else does decide to do a future update here are the issues I haven't been able to solve on my own...

1. After audio conversion is complete it always updates the target video bitrate and keeps the target file size the same. I would rather have it keep the target bitrate (quality) I don't care about the file size being perfect. (If anyone knows how to change this let me know)

2. Trimming with AC3 audio doesn't seem to work. It uses VirtualDubMod to trim the AC3 file natively (cool), but the cuts seem to end up in the wrong places. (I am not too good with VirtualDubMod so this might be something simple)

3. The versions are soooo old. It would be nice if it didn't look for the Nero AAC DLL files anymore since they aren't necessary with NeroAACEnc.exe.

P.S. Some people have posted with questions about ipod compatibility. I have been able to convert to ipod-compatible format quite easily with PD-iPod @ 768kbps and 160kbps AAC-LC.

nohead
15th November 2006, 01:37
1. After audio conversion is complete it always updates the target video bitrate and keeps the target file size the same. I would rather have it keep the target bitrate (quality) I don't care about the file size being perfect. (If anyone knows how to change this let me know)

I think that you are using a vbr audio command. If you modified the command for constant bitrate audio, your video bitrate will stay the same. Also the file size should still being perfect ;)

Ryo94
19th November 2006, 10:43
Hi,

I tried staxrip for first time today for convert a movie to xvid and it worked perfect (at least I liked the output movie quality), I just have a couple of doubts about the "compressibility test":
-what it's?
-how it works?
-how interpret the result?

Sorry for the dumb questions but until now I used xmpeg where there is not such a test.

These are the output settings in staxrip:

Bitrate: 1320
Resolution : 624x256 (pixel:155744, zoom:87/71, AR:2438 -0.26%) here a value nearer to 0 % it's better, no?
Output size: 1400MB
Compressibility test: 0.37

Thanks in advance.

LRN
20th November 2006, 13:30
Compressibility check is a lowcompressin (highquality) compression of ~ 5 mins of movie (can't remember exact time). If you dig this thread, you'll find Stax explaining exact cc commandline (IIRC, it's constant quality mode).
After CC StaxRip will use resulting filesize as a reference value to calculate optimal BPP for your movie. Just make sure you set up "Aimed quality" in codec settings before starting CC (i think "Aimed quality" is especially for CC).
You'll see percent indicator after CC. It will grow or fade depending on bitrate, so you have to change filesize or resolution.
That's my IMHO. Didn't used CC in long time, since it's pretty useless to me - i can't change filesize or resolution in my rips, and i already know average BPP for good quality with x264 (it's ~5 bpp) for most movies.

AR:2438 -0.26% means that AR 2438 is 99.74% of DVD's original AR (that's it, difference between DVD's and RIP's ARs, any value less than 5% is good).

Compressibility test: 0.37 means that you'll get 37% quality with these settings. Raise OUtput size to 2100 or lower video resulition.

Maybe Stax reworked CC a bit since i used it last time, but i'm pretty sure i'm right about it.

Ryo94
20th November 2006, 20:59
You were more than clear, thanks a lot LRN!

wunschkind
25th November 2006, 19:21
hi,

do you have problems using divx 6.4 within STAXRIP?

thank you

wunschkind

dvd_maniac
6th December 2006, 19:00
I have been using Staxrip for a while and it is a great peice of software. I am wondering if it is possible to have Staxrip open a mpeg-2 file and save a project file automatically?
I record a considerable amount of TV shows and when the recordings are done I would like Staxrip to open the file using the default project template, save the project and then close.
This wasy I can easily check the crop of each show add to batch and then encode. It takes me sometimes 15-20 minutes each morning to open and setup all the previous days recordings and start them. This would take that time down considerably.

Gehenna
6th December 2006, 21:13
@dvd_maniac
I also have stacks of mpg2 files via PVR (sageTV),i found the easiest and by far the quickest way was to use VBS.
I have different Scripts for different templates,i then just drag-select the files i wish to create projects(.rip),and drop them onto the VBS Script icon. (ie.. Cartoon.vbs / Sport.vbs)

Staxrip will then demux/index/create Project file and Exit, &REPEAT until all files have been processed

Set s = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

For Each i In WScript.Arguments
cmdl = """C:\Program Files\DVD Tools\StaxRip\StaxRip.exe"" -template:Cartoon """ & i & """ -Project/SavePath:%source_dir%%source_name%.rip -exit"
s.Run cmdl, 1, true
Next

Change the Path of Staxrip.exe to suit where you have installed,the -template can be omitted if wished (ie..use default).

Just copy Code into a text editor,then save as Whatever.vbs,then either use a "Send To" [C:\Documents and Settings\My User Account name\SendTo] or drag onto the *.vbs file.

Hope That Helps.

Regards

dvd_maniac
6th December 2006, 21:48
@dvd_maniac
I also have stacks of mpg2 files via PVR (sageTV),i found the easiest and by far the quickest way was to use VBS.
I have different Scripts for different templates,i then just drag-select the files i wish to create projects(.rip),and drop them onto the VBS Script icon. (ie.. Cartoon.vbs / Sport.vbs)

Staxrip will then demux/index/create Project file and Exit, &REPEAT until all files have been processed

cmdl = """C:\Program Files\DVD Tools\StaxRip\StaxRip.exe"" -template:Cartoon """ & i & """ -Project/SavePath:%source_dir%%source_name%.rip -exit"
s.Run cmdl, 1, true
Next

A fellow Sager...Cool, Haven't seen your nick on the Sage forums before....
Sounds pretty close to what I want. How hard would it be to have it automated with Dirmon2.
When a recording is finished Dirmon will process the script on that file so I would want the script to know to either only process the mpeg that dirmon tells it to or only mpegs that the filesize is not growing.

Gehenna
7th December 2006, 00:39
@dvd_maniac.

Just dabbled with Dirmon2 for a bit,and looks like it will work fine.

You need this in the Command Line Options:
-t:PVR_Episodes [[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.mpg]] -Project/SavePath:[[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.rip]] -exit

Heres a Screen Grab of my settings in Dirmon
Auto Create Project Files (http://neoplanet.net/Doom9/Dirmon.jpg)

( -t: ) = Template used.

I have tried this on a few mpg2 files,and it creates the project files OK, hopefully Dirmon`s "Wait Until the target file is Finished" & "Wait Until the Target File is not growing" will correctly detect when to run the Job.

Regards.

PS.. on the Sage forums..My Nick is Hades (got a thing about Hell me thinks)

dvd_maniac
7th December 2006, 04:08
so if I put the following into a vbs script file and change the pathnames to suite my needs then have Dirmon process Staxrip upon completion of recording then it will open staxrip, create the project file and then close?

-t:PVR_Episodes [[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.mpg]] -Project/SavePath:[[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.rip]] -exit

Edit:
Worked like a charm.
Now if I can ask another question???
If I wanted to actually process the file and encode it with a certain project template could that be done with Dirmon2

Gehenna
7th December 2006, 19:55
Now if I can ask another question???
If I wanted to actually process the file and encode it with a certain project template could that be done with Dirmon2

To encode a file just put -encode before the -exit (ie.. -encode -exit)

A bit more dabbling tonight,and i seem to have a working solution to encode using different templates via Dirmon2 based on Filenames.

Create Jobs in Dirmon using Program filenames (NYPD,Sharpe,XFiles),add the following to targets:
.*NYPD.*\.mpg,.*XFiles.*\.mpg,.*Sharpe.*\.mpg
Must not exist = rip

Change the command line to suit job (ie..Drama)
-t:PVR_Drama [[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.mpg]] -Project/SavePath:[[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.rip]] -encode -exit Drama Job (http://neoplanet.net/Doom9/Stax(Drama).jpg)

Cartoon Target would look like .*futurama.*\.mpg,.*simpsons.*\.mpg,.*trippingtherift.*\.mpg,.*familyguy.*\.mpg
-t:PVR_Cartoon etc.etc Cartoon Job (http://neoplanet.net/Doom9/Stax(Cartoon).jpg)

Hope That Helps

Regards

dvd_maniac
7th December 2006, 22:27
Have you actually tried to encode anything using this?
I tried to encode a file I setup using the Dirmon2 script you posted and mp4box always crashes.
If I open the file regularly and encode then it works fine but if I have Dirmon2 open it using:
"-t:X.264 [[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.mpg]] -Project/SavePath:[[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.rip]] -exit" then it gives me the mp4box unexpected error and needs to close error...
The script seems to work as it creates the .rip file and other temp files and finishes without an error. But it won't mux after using it to encode.

Gehenna
8th December 2006, 19:31
Have you actually tried to encode anything using this?

Yep , Works Fine with various staxrip profiles (x264+AAC+MKV) (x264+AAC+MP4)etc etc., not sure of the problem at your end.

At what point does it actually crash mp4box..ie does demux/index/create project + encode Audio + Encode Video, then crash while muxing? ,or does it crash earlier?

dvd_maniac
8th December 2006, 20:26
it encodes everything and crashes as soon as MP4box is called. So in other words: at the very end....

Gehenna
8th December 2006, 20:39
Post the Muxing Line in your staxrip log

Are all the files list in the muxing log actually their?

LRN
12th December 2006, 18:35
Just to let you know that i'm still alive, here's some neat way to set up encoding logs:
Pre-encode audio tracks (by pressing "Execute" button in "Edit..." dialog) and add them as "Add existing...", and set up whole project for ripping (but don't start the job).
Then copy commandlines from Codec/Container configuration->Tools->Show commandline and paste to this cmd-file instead of (1), (2) and (3):

@echo PASS1 >>%1 2>>&1
@echo %DATE% %TIME% >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
(1) >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
@echo PASS2 >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
(2) >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
@echo MUX >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
(3) >>%1 2>>&1
@echo. >>%1 2>>&1
@echo END >>%1 2>>&1

Then run, for example (let's suppose you named this file "rip.cmd"),
"c:\dvds\my_dvd_i_want_to_rip\rip.cmd" "c:\dvds\my_dvd_i_want_to_rip\rip.log" or something like this (i prefer cmd->cd c:\...\->rip rip.log)
You'll have all x264 and mp4box's output in one log-file. Pretty neat, because you could see all errors and statistics (did you know that x264 calculates mean SSIM-metric for whole movie? Awesome!). And you could watch progress just by opening this file as read-only in some viewer with automatic realtime file contents updating (i prefer Far Manager's F3 function).

LRN
14th December 2006, 13:34
You may remember, that it was me who suggested StaxRip's "pause/resume" function algoritm. Well, it wasn't very good, i must admit. I digged deeper in this matter and came up with new version of my "Seek and suspend" application. Works same way as PsSuspend tool, but it is smaller, simpler and licensed under GPL. You may find it very handy to suspend your CPU-hungry x264.exe while playing new PC game or performing any tasks with large CPU requirements.

dirio49
17th December 2006, 22:29
It said to send the diagnostic Zip so here it is.

Ryo94
21st December 2006, 06:57
is staxrip alive?
stax still working on it?
will be future version of this great gui?

LRN
22nd December 2006, 13:50
Yes.
No.
Probably.

(this is short version)

clone83
23rd December 2006, 01:35
well then whats the long version....?

LRN
23rd December 2006, 01:41
It is possible to utilize StaxRip, so it's still alive.
Noone working on StaxRip at the moment, Stax abandoned this project some time ago. For how long it is unknown.
Since StaxRip is so great and it is OpenSource, anyone could catch on and produce new version. We're waiting for new developer to come (or for Stax to return).

wdmalik
24th December 2006, 14:29
Same old rediculous question but, any whereabouts of stax,

laserfan
26th December 2006, 00:27
Same old rediculous questionAn "Advanced Search" for any posts by user "stax" indicates he's not been back here since May, or at least he is laying very low (not posting tho you can't tell if he's visited).

Anybody's guess as to what happened to him. For my part StaxRip continues to work perfectly so I don't mind...

TauTau
31st December 2006, 23:18
Hi,

I have a problem with the nero .dll's when encoding to MP4/AAC, I get a message about using the trial version. I have Recode 7 and copied the .dll's to the Besweet directory plus the missing aac.dll from the net. When I encode a .wav file with the Nero Wave editor, there's no problem. I also have the free .exe files from Nero, but Staxrip doesn't seem to use those.
Of course batch encoding is not possible that way...

LRN
1st January 2007, 14:34
Download latest hotfix - http://lrn.no-ip.info/other/staxrip_hotfix.zip . It SHOULD use nero exe's instead of dll's. And make sure you use latest besweet too.

TauTau
1st January 2007, 19:04
hm, it downloads the neroAacEnc.exe, but then complains about not being able to move it from win32 to ../ (i.e. one directory up). It does move it though. Then it complains about it being wrong version. Is that ok, and should I just check the "always use wrong version" ?

Lars

ch@@boom
1st January 2007, 19:45
An "Advanced Search" for any posts by user "stax" indicates he's not been back here since May, or at least he is laying very low (not posting tho you can't tell if he's visited).

Anybody's guess as to what happened to him. For my part StaxRip continues to work perfectly so I don't mind...

not quite ..
i have 2 issues:

1)
i often encode 373MB xvid exact file size but sometimes it's oversized -> 396MB

2)
sometimes there are problems with audio cutting (audio too short or too long, or delay value wrong)

dvd_maniac
2nd January 2007, 13:27
How would I use the latest X264 with Staxrip?
Could I just download the wrong version and ignore the message?

TauTau
4th January 2007, 19:37
Hi,

the last few days I had a few jobs encoded from mpeg2 to x264 with staxrip. After all that CPU-Terror, I found out, that each file has the audio from the first file... How could that happen?

nohead
5th January 2007, 06:09
How would I use the latest X264 with Staxrip?
Could I just download the wrong version and ignore the message?

Actually, I just replaced the x264.exe file in the application\x264 folder with the newer version and ignore the message. I'm using v6.14 and it's just great for my core 2 duo :)

cobrajet
5th January 2007, 09:33
an updated version shall come out

nohead
8th January 2007, 07:06
I must be drunk... but wait... I see a new version 0.9.9.3...
Grabbing NOW!!!
Thanks to whoever who worked on the new version...

wunschkind
8th January 2007, 07:34
wow,

great... thank you very much for the update

wunschkind

DarkZell666
8th January 2007, 16:37
Sorry, I'll have to nitpick: I'm using v6.14"rev. 614" doesn't mean "v6.14" at all, be careful when mentioning version numbers like that :)

nohead
8th January 2007, 16:55
"rev. 614" doesn't mean "v6.14" at all, be careful when mentioning version numbers like that

Told ya that I'm usually drunk when I post...LOL (build, rev, ver, trunk, wip, alpha, beta, rc; u just must lover programmers... :rolleyes:

LRN
9th January 2007, 16:47
How about changelog? What's new in 0.9.9.3?

Deinorius
9th January 2007, 17:20
Read this:

Fix: Autodetection of NTSC film content was broke because of a change in DGIndex's d2v file format.
Fix: The delay wasn't detected for muxing profiles and thus wasn't detected for AC3
Fix: FluxSmooth wasn't detected as requirement
Automatic internet updates are now fully supported. When StaxRip starts it checks the internet if there is a new StaxRip version available. If a new version is available it downloads and installs it automatically after a user confirmation.
New setup wizard with Vista like command buttons so the user don't have to bother with a next button and got the tooltip right on the button.
New DGIndex feature to use relative file paths is now supported in that all AviSynth scripts are written to the source directory
External Applications get the message that informs about wrong versions back enabled after downloading
Anamorphic encoding: In case no auto resize is performed the resize value get adjusted to the image size actually used
Crop dialog: Opening the crop dialog now disables the crop reminder assistant tip so the tip is skipped automatically and doesn't have to be clicked away with 'next' manually
AAC uses now the new encoder by Nero
x264 and AAC are now the default codecs
x264: The 'Quality' value (--crf) of the profile 'Constant Quality' was changed from 20 to 22
Jobs: Starting encoding has now to be started with the job dialog. Pressing 'Next' creates a job and opens the job dialog so the only thing left to do is pressing 'Start' in the job dialog
Preview Dialog: New menu item and command added to the preview dialog to delete all selections at once
Third party applications: Automatic detection of required applications located within MeGUI's tools directory
Update: DGIndex/DGDecode was updated to version 1.4.8
Update: x264 616
Update: DivX 6.4
Update: XviD 1.1.2
Commands: The 'Add Job' command couln't be used from the menu

ch@@boom
10th January 2007, 10:04
hey stax
thx for the new version

1 small change request:
option to update all external apps in one sweep without user intervention ;)

bob0r
12th January 2007, 03:17
StaxRip_0.9.9.3.zip mirrored on http://x264.nl

When will x264 use --threads auto?
What about all other new x264 settings?

Deinorius
12th January 2007, 12:58
Which settings do you mean specifically?

cobrajet
14th January 2007, 10:19
0.9.9.4 out

hellfred
15th January 2007, 20:55
The changelog is rather short, which was to be expected taking the small period of time between 0.9.9.3 and 0.9.9.4 into account:
0.9.9.4 (2007-01-14)

* Fix: CLI (command line interface) was broke due to a feature introduced by version 0.9.9.3
* Fix: DivX certification profile with no restriction combined with 1 pass quality based encoding was broke
* x264 --threads auto added as default, because of this StaxRip will offer but not force to reset all video codec related settings.
* Update: DivX 6.4.0.51
* Update: AviSynth 2.5.7
* Update: VirtualDub 1.6.17

nohead
22nd January 2007, 04:00
0.9.9.5 (2007-01-21)

* mkvtoolnix 2.0.0 added, StaxRip can handle now raw x264 streams
* MP4Box 0.4.3_2006-11-15 added
* Additionally to the 'Default Target Directory' project option there is now a 'Default Target Name' option. The value of both options may contain macros which can be choosen from a new menu containing friendly names
* The button to open a source in the main dialog shows the 'Source Files' dialog directly instead of displaying a context menu. To show the file browser directly the text box can be double clicked, the file browser shown here supports multiselect, multible files will be alphabetically ordered. Hovering the mouse over text boxes in the main dialog shows a hint that the text box can be double clicked
* Check for updates can be performed manually ('Help/Check For Updates')
* Lanczos4Resize added to the filter profiles as 'Very Sharp'
* Saving a template profile from now on flags the active project as saved so StaxRip won't any longer bother asking to save
* The title bar shows now always the name of the template used
* Auto Resze is now restricted to not resize the width higher as the source width (only applied if the source width is higher than 576). Please report a Issue if this is a limitation for you
* Improved initial directory for file browser dialogs
* The download page has now a link pointing always to the latest StaxRip version using a php redirect

Another new version. Thanks for your hard works!

laserfan
22nd January 2007, 23:23
This sudden new activity is making me a little dizzy! But it is a welcome sight to see!

wdmalik
23rd January 2007, 11:58
yea ... thnx god development started :)

digitalone
23rd January 2007, 17:35
three new versions in less than three weeks!! thx a lot bro..really appreciate ur hard work. :)

Nakaleen
25th January 2007, 22:50
I have been using Staxrip for ages now, encoding all my DVD's and DVB recordings. I have found that Staxrip is the best (9.9.2).

But I am building a HTPC. At the moment I have ...

DVR-MS to MPG automated (DVRMSToolBox)
16:9 or 4:3 sorted manually
convert all MPG's to Xvid automated (using mencoder)

Two things, I wish to make it all automated, hopefully with Staxrip's auto crop for 4:3 dvb recordings. Also a better Xvid encoding (my mencoder settings suck as it takes 4X as long as Staxrip to encode)

I have been looking at the Staxrip commandline settings but I'm having trouble finding settings I need, they are...

Set the bitrate: I want to set the Video bitrate for xvid, but according to the commandline help I can only set the % (what ever that means?!?)

Set the Width:height ie I want all my 4:3 footage to be 640:480 and my 16:9 to be 640:352

Can Staxrip do these things via commandline and automated (for example I want all my recordings on my HTPC to be encoded overnight while I sleep) as at the moment I am using Staxrip manually to encode each recording?

Or should I look at somehow use AviSynth directly via batch/commandline?

BTW: If you were wondering what mencoder settings I am using it is...

16:9 Pass 1
"c:\mplayer\mencoder.exe" -noodml %1 -o %2 -vf pp=fd,crop=720:572,scale=640:356 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:last_pred=2:dia=-1:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:cmp=3:subcmp=3:precmp=0:vqcomp=0.6:turbo:vpass=1:vbitrate=746 -oac mp3lame -srate 44100 -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:vol=0:mode=0:aq=7:padding=3 -af volnorm -ffourcc DX50

16:9 Pass 2
"c:\mplayer\mencoder.exe" -noodml %1 -o %2 -vf pp=fd,crop=720:572,scale=640:356 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:last_pred=2:dia=-1:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:cmp=3:subcmp=3:precmp=0:vqcomp=0.6:turbo:vpass=2:vbitrate=746 -oac mp3lame -srate 44100 -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:vol=0:mode=0:aq=7:padding=3 -af volnorm -ffourcc DX50

4:3 Pass 1
"c:\mplayer\mencoder.exe" -noodml %1 -o %2 -vf pp=fd,crop=528:572,scale=640:480 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:last_pred=2:dia=-1:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:cmp=3:subcmp=3:precmp=0:vqcomp=0.6:turbo:vpass=1:vbitrate=746 -oac mp3lame -srate 44100 -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:vol=0:mode=0:aq=7:padding=3 -af volnorm -ffourcc DX50

4:3 Pass 2
"c:\mplayer\mencoder.exe" -noodml %1 -o %2 -vf pp=fd,crop=528:572,scale=640:480 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:last_pred=2:dia=-1:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1:cmp=3:subcmp=3:precmp=0:vqcomp=0.6:turbo:vpass=2:vbitrate=746 -oac mp3lame -srate 44100 -lameopts vbr=0:br=128:vol=0:mode=0:aq=7:padding=3 -af volnorm -ffourcc DX50

CvH
27th January 2007, 01:26
some litle problems at HDTV encoding

- *.TS (H.264 / DVB-S2 / 1080) streams arent supported yet :( (afaik no tool currently supports that :( )

-> works only if i do this
- start GRAPHEDIT
- point Halli media splitter to the input.ts file
- insert Halli matroska muxer to create output.mkv
- link video and audio pins
- "play" monitor output in the splitter dialog pop up
now open the output.mkv in StaxRip

-> works afaik only with ffdshow (libavcodec decoder)

-> didnīt work with PowerDVD 6/7 (Decoder couldnīt detect the fps (maybe ffdshow also not, but it didnīt output an error) so the decoder canīt be used)

-> possible fix is to have the fps in human control or a possibility to load an avs script like ("DirectShowSource("c:\output.mkv",fps=25.00,audio=false)")
-> somewhere is an AviSynth feature, but where ? ;)

-> the resize switch limits at 720x... , but would be usefull for hdtv to increse it till 1920 :)

-> the crop/previewwindow is always to big for my screen at HDTV (movie @ 1920 , screen @ 1440) possible always starts at 80% or something :)

would be nice if it can be fixed and or included :)

tx in advance

LRN
27th January 2007, 17:03
Deep in StaxRip settings (or projects settings? I forgot) there's width/height limiter, check it out.
Also try to change Source filter from MPEG2Source to DirectShowSource before opening ts-file in StaxRip. I successfully opened an mp4=x264+NeroAAC file this way. Not sure about audio (i mean, does VirtualDubMod really can write 5.1 wav?).

CvH
27th January 2007, 17:31
Deep in StaxRip settings (or projects settings? I forgot) there's width/height limiter, check it out.
A
- worked fine (settings -> general -> resolution slider)
:)

lso try to change Source filter from MPEG2Source to DirectShowSource before opening ts-file in StaxRip. I successfully opened an mp4=x264+NeroAAC file this way. Not sure about audio (i mean, does VirtualDubMod really can write 5.1 wav?).
- wont work because ProjectX,HDTV2MPG,VDUB,DGIndex cant split the DVB-S2 Stream :)
- "mencoder.exe "Z:\Infile.ts" -of rawvideo -ovc copy -oac copy -noskip -o Y:\Outfile.264" should work too but not for my stream (German Pro7 HDTV H.264 Stream) -> no pids can be found :) (seperat Topic http://forum.doom9.org/... (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=121243))

ScubaJoe13
2nd February 2007, 22:29
I am having an odd problem I am hoping to get some help with. I have used StaxRip successfully for my own videos, and I am now in the process of helping someone else learn to use the program. He is using a Media Center PC that captures in the wonderful dvr-ms format. We use the DVRTOMPEGGUI Tool in the DVR Toolbox to convert it to a .mpg file. So far so good.

When I open that file (the .mpg) in G-Spot it shows as having a frame/sec of 29.97. The problem starts when I load it into StaxRip as the source file. After processing it, the source is translated into a .d2v file and the framerate is now 23.976. I have looked in alot of places and tried to change multiple initial settings, all without the ability to keep it at the 29.97 framerate.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong/can fix (besides getting him to ditch the Media Center software)? All help appreciated.

LRN
3rd February 2007, 01:36
You could edit d2v-file directly (i.e. with text editor, notepad for example) to change FPS.

ScubaJoe13
3rd February 2007, 03:19
You could edit d2v-file directly (i.e. with text editor, notepad for example) to change FPS.

I truly do appreciate the work-around, but is there a permanent fix and/or a way to prevent it from happening in the first place? I am asking b/c he plans on alot of ripping and it would be a cumbersome final solution.

THX again for input.

Cocophone
3rd February 2007, 04:39
Would this have anything to do with dgindex determining that the mpeg file is "film" or "not film"?

zaltun
4th February 2007, 19:43
Is this program Turkish Windows Xp SP2 working?I'm try,not running. :(

Beave
5th February 2007, 22:39
@ScubaJoe13

It's probably ForceFilm on. Try finding the setting Auto Force Film higher some percentage (usually 95%).

Leinad4Mind
6th February 2007, 01:08
Hi, i want to know if staxrip can, reencode a video, cause i have various videos in mkv with h264+ac3 but the file is too big cause he have more than 2000bitrate and i want to reencode that to less.

Another thing i have try to reencode a video wmv and the audio and video is not sinconized why?

fleon
6th February 2007, 19:53
Hi everyone, I wanna know something, I was encoding a personal own movie with this great program on x264, and with the profile CQ-Lossless, it took like 16 hours! it was almost complete, it was on the part of muxing, you know the part that is after the first pass of x264, but I didnt noticed that my HD was almost full, so Staxrip gave an error and the movie wasnt encoded, so I was wondering if there is a way to continue without doing the first pass of x264?, you know just do the part of muxing, I also noticed that on the folder were all the files are there is a file called (Name of the movie)EncoderOutput.264 and is almost 7GB, so again there is a way to not doing the encoding again?, because it tooks a lot of time on my pc, hope that everyone understanded my problem,
Thanks in advance

Gehenna
6th February 2007, 21:02
@fleon
Try Loading up the project file again (*rip),and click on Container Configuration on Staxrip Main Menu ,then Click Tools/Show Command Line,then Select All / Copy.
Open Windows Start Menu / Type Cmd ,Click OK . Right Click Mouse in Command Window,Left click Paste,hit enter

fleon
6th February 2007, 21:32
Well I did what you told me but I got this error

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/200/errorwy4.th.jpg (http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errorwy4.jpg)

Gehenna
6th February 2007, 21:42
Okay,then just do as it says,and insert --nalu-size--length 0:3 into the command as well

From the Mkvtoonix Site

−−nalu−size−length <TID:n>

Forces the NALU size length to n bytes. This parameter is only used if the AVC/h.264 elementary stream packetizer is used. If left out it defaults to 2 bytes, but there are files that contain frames or slices that are bigger than 65535 bytes. For such files you have to use this parameter and increase the size to 3 or mkvmerge will abort with an error.

fleon
6th February 2007, 22:00
Well I did that but then a message appeared that like 1112 bytes ,or mega bytes I dont exactly remember, were skipped so I am gonna extract the audio again from the dvd.

Another question I did an CQ-Lossless encoding in x264, as you know, but the file, I mean the 264 file turned out to 6,46 GB, and all the Vobs were like 4,56 GB only, (I mean the VOBs of the original DVD), so why did the 264 turned out bigger?

fleon
6th February 2007, 22:31
]Well I did that but then a message appeared that like 1112 bytes ,or mega bytes I dont exactly remember, were skipped so I am gonna extract the audio again from the dvd.

Another question I did an CQ-Lossless encoding in x264, as you know, but the file, I mean the 264 file turned out to 6,46 GB, and all the Vobs were like 4,56 GB only, (I mean the VOBs of the original DVD), so why did the 264 turned out bigger?[/

Edit>While I was extracting the ac3 file and cutting it with the staxrip, I didnt noticed that x264 started to do the first pass again, so it screwed up the entire lossless compression that I did before, Oh f*ck!!!!!:devil:

DnA
15th February 2007, 11:24
Hello guys, I want to ask about the case when importing 29.970 FPS .d2v file and Field_Operation=0 in Staxrip.
Staxrip changes the .d2v file the FPS to 23.976 and sets Field_Operation to 1.

from
Field_Operation=0
Frame_Rate=29970 (30000/1001)

to
Field_Operation=1
Frame_Rate=23976 (24000/1001)

I'm not sure but I think that this is made on purpose. Could anyone please explain if it's so? Thanks in advance.

laserfan
15th February 2007, 21:11
Could your problem be "Force Film Threshold" described earlier in this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=854944#post854944

Setting this to 101 solved my problems completely, but I have not upgraded to newer versions of staxrip.

fleon
22nd February 2007, 00:28
Hi people, what settings do you recommend me for encoding on x264 Final Fantasy VII Advent Children(personal owned, for personal use)?

nohead
23rd February 2007, 20:22
0.9.9.6 (2007-02-16)

* Drog & Drop triggering longer processing won't any longer block the drag source
* Reshowing the hidden windows by clicking on the tray icon does put the windows now in the foreground on top of all other windows
* The crop dialog can be opened even if the crop filter is disabled or missing
* The controls in the main dialog get now updated when filter settings are changed, e.g. if crop is disabled, zoom values get updated or if the resize filter is disabled, the image size get adjusted to size of the cropped image
* Target path is verified to not contain invalid characters
* The editor to edit AviSynth filter profiles was replaced with a simplier ini based editor
* Entering illegal filesystem characters as target file is no longer possible
* The option 'Dangerous/Save Cropping' was reseted and renamed to 'Advanced Automation/Auto correct crop values'
* Event Commands allows to define a command to be executed on a defined event. Furthermore criteria can be defined to execute the command only if certain criteria is matched. Some commands where renamed and some are new. This means command line parameters have changed so please check your command lines
* More tooltips, new option to disable tooltips, if disabled a right-click still shows a tooltip, more controls support now tooltip with right-click
* 'What's this help' (the quotation mark title bar button/quotation mark mouse pointer to show context help/tooltips) got dumped. This button shows now the help document of the dialog. Almost all new Microsoft applications do this now, StaxRip has right-click tooltips (even for main/context menus, toolbars and most other controls) and now also popup tooltips (can be disabled in the settings).
* Gradient colors are now system color bases, that means theme colors.
* All dialogs respond to the 'Escape' key for closing the dialog and F1 for showing the help (all dialogs are derived from the same base dialog now)
* The features in the dialog to open source files should now be more transparent and better documented and most importantly it has a new feature 'Directory Batch' which processes multiple directories where every directory is processed as seperate source
* DivX updated to version 6.5.1
* The 'Show Command Line' feature in the muxer dialogs were showing wrong command lines
* When vobsubs were disabled in VSRip the ones after the disabled ones were broke
* There was a annoying directory browser asking for a DivX directory constantly

Another new version to play with... and I noticed it late!
:p was out of country ;)

Gawwad
25th February 2007, 17:44
StaxRip Website (http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip)

Changelog:

0.9.9.7 (2007-02-25)

Sharktooth's x264 profiles were updated
New and much improved AviSynth filter editor
In case a AviSynth plugin is loaded with 'LoadPlugin' StaxRip now won't insist that the plugin is located in the auto plugin loading directory
There was a issue with vob files in file browsers and the new directory batch feature
NeroAacEnc was updated to the latest version
Instead of blindly setting default values StaxRip askes now several setup questions
The 'Encode' command does now add a new job and runs the job list. The 'Add Job' command now doesn't show a warning about the assistant not completed when called from the command line

Dashiell
27th February 2007, 17:40
Hello, all!

I just wanted to run the situation by everyone in this thread. I don't think I have a "problem" per se, but I think I'd like someone to confirm some points for me...

If I have regular, 4:3 720x480 29.97 content I want to encode with DivX in statxrip, I've noticed a few things happen... these are episodic television shows from the US.

1) If I want to keep the frame size at 720x480 I shut off all cropping/resizing. I know that the crop takes away the black borders and such, but just bear with me for a second. Since cropping and resizing are disabled, the resize window shows 720x480, but with an aspect ratio that says "1.5 (anamorphic)." (I am aware that 4:3 tv generally means an aspect from 1.33:1 to 1.34:1.) Can I assume that this means it is converting the ".9" pixels to square and that if the content is played back on a standalone player attached to a 4:3 tv, It will appear properly?

2) The reason this concerns me is that I seem to notice a quality difference with content like this... not cropping/resizing the frame seems to yield better results than, say, letting statx crop and resize to something like 704x480, 640x480, etc. I also remember some point that 640x480 is the "sqare pixel" equivalent to 720x480, if I'm not mistaken. I also use 2-pass, 75% quality encoding.

I have done a search in this thread for a similar discussion, but did not find one... any help greatly appreciated!:p

Kool3ds
28th February 2007, 20:15
How should i use external avisynth plugins with Staxrip? Help much appreciated. Thanks.

Deinorius
28th February 2007, 21:26
Filters within your default Avisynth plugin folder will be loaded automatically.

Filters outside your folder you have to load with LoadPlugin. Scripts have to be load with Import as normal.

jdlk
1st March 2007, 18:32
Two little problems I'm having with the command line options:

1. When I'm doing a simple command line encode, e.g.: StaxRip -t:<template name> <filename> -encode, it all seems to work okay but at the end of the encode I get the error message: "error parsing argument: -encode". But my encode appears to be complete. It's only a problem because StaxRip then locks up and the error dialog interrupts the process if I'm doing a batch.

2. If I try to automate the process using Stax's vbs script from earlier in the thread:

cmdl = """F:\Program Files\StaxRip_0.9.9.6\StaxRip.exe"" """ & i & """ -Project/SavePath:%source_dir%%source_name%.rip -exit"
s.Run cmdl, 1, true
Next
The project files are created okay, but then as they are opened I get the following error:
"Parameter mismatch: please recreate the menu item or reset the entire menu". Which doesn't make any sense to me, and I can't find these errors elsewhere in this thread.

juhu
4th March 2007, 22:30
Is there a way Staxrip could accept .avs files as INPUT video files (not just as script loaded afterwards) so we could process hd-dvds with it ?

edit : Nevermind. We can open any vob/d2v ... and just bypass it by using import("yourfile.avs") instead of mpeg2source.

there are a few things to solve to process hd-dvds correctly with it :
-autocrop doesn't seem to work
-the zoom slider needs to be more lenient. If we process 1920x sources before resizing, it shouldn't block us for "incorrect" values (zoom estimated > 150% when we want to make 720p rips, which is erroneous considering original resolution)

any chances of a full hd-dvd support for version 1.0 ??

audioman
7th March 2007, 19:24
Hi STaxrip

Is there a way to integrate " MP4GUY " matrices in staxrip

the link is here

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=887125#post887125

Thanks for your answer

juhu
8th March 2007, 12:44
ok, as some have already mentioned, there's obviously something wrong with ntsc processing since staxrip 0.9.9.5 :
It goes quasi(or always ?) systematically for a 23.976 automatic choice whatever the source.
I tried with different dvds that should have been left @ 29.97 fps
-video productions
-french ntsc dvds transcoded from pal sources.

I wish I could process them correctly (deinterlacing in 1st case, repal filtering in 2nd, etc.) but I just can't now they are seen as IVTCed...
The strange thing is the exact same dvds processed with staxrip 0.9.9.2 gives me a 29.97 fps source so I can work on them...

edit : as you can see in this thread : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=121754
there's probably something staxrip needs to do to read correctly d2v files with recent dgindex versions...

Kool3ds
15th March 2007, 09:41
In staxrip For deinterlacing i use Ivtc. For resizing Lanczos or Lanczos4. For Noise i use da extreme setting. But after i finish da movie. The Frame Rate of da movie comes to 17, 18, or 19 and da video is flickering in da whole movie. Previously It use to come only around 23 or 25 or 29 fps and no flickering at all. Some help seriously appreciated regarding this. Thanks in advance.

salman1
24th March 2007, 14:05
is latest version of staxrip crashed? if yes can someone give me fixed version

Gehenna
24th March 2007, 14:18
What version are you actually using?

Later Versions of StaxRip have a built in Auto Updater.

Get Latest Version of StaxRip Here (http://www.planetdvb.net/)

Regards

dvd_maniac
28th March 2007, 20:35
I have a bunch of old Xvid and Divx encodes from a while ago and want to batch encode them but they contain VBR mp3.
When I input them into Staxrip the audio ends abruptly or is out of sync on all of them.
When I manually open the video in VirtualDub I see a dialog box stating that the avi file contains a VBR audio stream and asks to rewrite the header with CBR.
If I answer "NO" and then demux the audio, then run it through Nero File Encoder to HE-AAC audio then use that in Staxrip, then the encoded video works perfectly.

My question is how to get VirtualDub to use the VBR audio by default so I can simply use Staxrip without manually opening the file in Vdub and the demux'ed mp3 in Nero to encode to AAC audio and then finally tell Staxrip to use the resulting mp4 audio file.....

Gawwad
29th March 2007, 06:56

Changelog:

0.9.9.8 (2007-03-28)

Some fixes to make StaxRip working with a restricted user account
Some fixes to make StaxRip work loading all AviSynth plugins manually
Added support for custom macros, the value of custom macros may contain default macros
Added a eval macro that evaluates a VBScript expression
Added context menu to tray icon to enable/disable jobs that follow the running job
mkvtoolnix updated to 2.0.2-1
MediaInfo 0.7.4.5 added
Fixed Vista crash due to wrong use of MediaInfo (thx to paulotwo for providing the patch)
New command 'Perform/Delete Files', new event 'Application Exit', new macros %install_dir% and %download_dir%. With all that a event command could be created to delete all zip files from the download directory on application exit as keeping them is usually pointless. The command can also be used to delete temp files after encoding
Updated to another silent DivX update
Fixed bug with the pause feature which pauses external processes
Fixed bug causing non film material to be detected as film
Fixed bug audio encoding with multiline command line didn't work
As usual many more minor changing not mention otherwhile

Gawwad
1st April 2007, 04:35

Changelog:

0.9.9.9 (2007-03-31)

Command Line was broke due to a command handling bug
Another command handling bug causing StaxRip to crash if a menu was reused instead of reseted while updated from an old StaxRip version
The homepage (http://www.planetdvb.net) was updated from Drupal 4.7.2 to Drupal 5.1, it uses the garland theme now

salman1
1st April 2007, 18:54
hi
i want to add LimitedSharpen.avsi in filter how do i add and where do i put LimitedSharpen.avsi in my computer

funkydoobie
3rd April 2007, 03:32
I created a project template using the latest version of StaxRip that allows me to convert DV video to MP4 (H.264/AAC). Awesome!

I have also used DVDate (http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm) to create SRT subtitles, which I can later add to a particular StaxRip job using the "Container Configuration" option. Except for the file type suffix, the subtitle files have the exact same names as the DV video clips (e.g., the subtitle file for "Video001.avi" would be "Video001.srt").

My question is: given the file name similarity, is there any way to automate the process of adding the subtitle file to the container? I.e., can I somehow add this capability to the project template file?

If it can't be done natively with StaxRip, can it be done with the TextSub filter for AviSynth?

Thank you!

Bigmango
6th April 2007, 02:03
Hi,

Could you please add an option to keep the original AC3/DTS sound tracks ?

It seems staxrip only allows to import external AC3/DTS files. I.ex: other guis like automkv/autogk make this process easy with a "Copy original" audio track option.

This is the only thing that keeps me from using staxrip (I make x264 with AC3/DTS mkvs).

Thanks for considering this.

LRN
12th April 2007, 10:09
1) Do not overwrite cutting audio files. When you rip a few jobs (with cutting) from one DVD, each time autio is being cut, it is written in "Temporary Files/*_cutting*" and encoded into "Temporary Files/*_cutting_audiooutput*". Thus only audio for last job is left after all jobs is complete. Because of this one can't just remux encoded files for any job except last. It is also impossible (or i did not find a way to do it) to start audio cutting from StaxRip without starting a whole job.

2) Extended logging. Some external applications (such as BeSweet and x264) outputs their own statistic to their commandline window. This data may be valuable for informative purposes (ex. x264 outputs SSIM metric value for whole job) or debugging (looking at BeSweet errors my give you a clue why it aborts). StaxRip should save console output of any of his child processes in a logfile (maybe separate logfile to not confuse with StaxRip's own statistic and output).

3) Multiple audiotracks. I know that it is not the most widely used feature, but it would be good to being able to add more than just two audio tracks. Three at least. But, for better flexibility i suggest variable number of audio tracks (i.e. extending list just like with subtitles, or dynamically appearing controls for new audio track when you fill the details for previous one).

4) Count subtitles when calculating video bitrate. StaxRip must subtract subtitle files size from the video size as it does with audio files. Ex. 5 subtitle tracks could simultaneously weight up to 1 Mb, making resulting file 1 Mb larger than it should be. Thus it won't fit into media where it should fit. This is getting worse with non-standard (yet widespread) SUB-subtitles embedded in mp4 container (Nero subtitles), as they could weight several Mb or even more.

5) StaxRip should allow .sub extensions for subtitles in mp4, because mp4box does supports .sub:

Supported text formats:
SRT Subtitles .srt
SUB Subtitles .sub
GPAC Timed Text .ttxt
QuickTime TeXML Text .xml (cf QT documentation)

Personally, i don't care about QT TXML, ignore it :)

Bigmango, AFAIK when you open DVD with DGIndex (wich StaxRip does automatically), all DVD tracks is being extracted and saved in DVD directory. Then you can "import them as external AC3/DTS files" because they ARE external AC3/DTS files now. Of course, you have to choose with one should be first and with should be second, but i am sure this is okay.

gkverne
13th April 2007, 22:04
Hi,

Could you please add an option to keep the original AC3/DTS sound tracks ?

It seems staxrip only allows to import external AC3/DTS files. I.ex: other guis like automkv/autogk make this process easy with a "Copy original" audio track option.

This is the only thing that keeps me from using staxrip (I make x264 with AC3/DTS mkvs).

Thanks for considering this.

It's extra-easy to keep the original audio using StaxRip...

LRN already answered, but I thought I'd include a quick guide for you just in case you're still confused...

1. Open the source VOB, StaxRip will use DGIndex to split and index the VOB.

2. You can now select crop and filter settings.

3. For the first audio track, select "Source File" and find your preferred AC3 audio track in the source folder (should be named something like "VTS_01_PGC_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -16ms"), if it's not already the selected source file.

4. Select "AC3 - Add Existing File" as the audio type in the pull down next to your audio track. This will mux the original AC3 with your output video, without touching the audio.

5. Done, your output file will include the original audio track. You can also modify the process if you've got DTS audio (if you really want to).

Bigmango
14th April 2007, 01:13
It's extra-easy to keep the original audio using StaxRip...

LRN already answered, but I thought I'd include a quick guide for you just in case you're still confused...

1. Open the source VOB, StaxRip will use DGIndex to split and index the VOB.

2. You can now select crop and filter settings.

3. For the first audio track, select "Source File" and find your preferred AC3 audio track in the source folder (should be named something like "VTS_01_PGC_01_1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -16ms"), if it's not already the selected source file.

4. Select "AC3 - Add Existing File" as the audio type in the pull down next to your audio track. This will mux the original AC3 with your output video, without touching the audio.

5. Done, your output file will include the original audio track. You can also modify the process if you've got DTS audio (if you really want to).

Oh my bad :)

I guess I was used to "copy original" and got confused with the "add existing file" setting.

Bigmango
14th April 2007, 01:19
How can I change the frame rate ?

I.ex: if I want to shrink a movie for a mobile phone and change the frame rate to 10 or 12.5 ?

I have looked at the filters list but couldn't find anything that could do this.

LRN
14th April 2007, 08:01
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FPS

Bigmango
14th April 2007, 16:23
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FPS

So staxrip has not option/filter for changing the fps out of the box ?

Well, I'll just add the fps filter myself then.

Thx.

swaaye
18th April 2007, 20:02
I tried setting up Staxrip to use the seesaw sharpening filter with FFT3DGPU as the noise reducer but I can't get it to not crash. The same script works fine when opened directly into VDubMod. And, FFT3DGPU works fine by itself in Staxrip.

Anyone get seesaw working?

fight2win
29th April 2007, 09:56
hey stax, can u pls tell me how to ue sharpening filters like lsf,seesaw with what parameters in staxrip....can u pls integrate these in staxrip???

LRN
30th April 2007, 06:53
Try this way. Add 4 filters into StaxRip (You could go with one, but it's inconvinient):

a= last b=a.degrainmedian(mode=2).VagueDenoiser(threshold=0.8, method=1, nsteps=6, chromaT=0.8)
ssx = 1.0 ssy = ssx NRlimit = 2 NRlimit2 = NRlimit+1 Sstr = 1.5 Slimit = NRlimit+2 Spower = 4 Szp = 16+2 SdampLo = Spower+1 SdampHi = 24 bias = 49 Smode = ssx<1.35?11:ssx<1.51?20:19 sootheT = 49 sootheS = 0 clp = a denoised = b
redefine here any variables from above, those were defaults
Import("C:\...\SeeSaw.avs")

Edit first filter for your liking (change denoiser). Remember to keep "a" and "b" variables, or change their names accordingly in the end of second filter. Change path in fourth filter to match yours.

You have to use messed up variant of SeeSaw.avs (attached it to post). If you can't wait for attach, here's the way i did it: cut everything beginning from #Main function to return (last) }, paste it in the end of file, comment everything from
function SeeSaw( clip clp, clip "denoised",
to
#sootheS = default( sootheS, 0 ) # 0=minimum, 100=maximum smoothing of sharpener's spatial effect.
(including both)
and comment last line
This way main function disappears and some meaningless code in the end of file appears :). Obviously, this file requires external variable declarations (see scripts above), because you just commented out original ones.

I hope this will work for you. Maybe there IS a better way of doing this, i just posted first way i found. I never was AviSynth pro though :-/

http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7167&stc=1&d=1177911915

ch@@boom
30th April 2007, 10:54
new staxrip version 1.0.0.0 :)

Changelog:

1.0.0.0 (2007-04-28) Final :-)

Fixed bug with AVI source files having more than one audio stream. For such sources only the last stream was demuxed
Updated to another silent DivX update
Updated to x264 rev 654
Since the local and roaming (http://www.ai.uga.edu/aicenter/UsingRoaming.html) application data directories has better names under Vista the setup has now options for both
Minor improvements regarding setup and error handling

FAII
30th April 2007, 11:18
Last night I tried leaving the Deinterlace box unchucked when encoding an interlaced source. The x264/mp4 file that it resulted it was deinterlaced o_O.

The only difference seemed to be that it took only half the time to encode as it would take to if I had checked the Deinterlace box.

dvd_maniac
30th April 2007, 15:39
Just wanted to say thanx for continuing to update this awesome tool.

I'm getting a big increase in speed with the latest build.
I used to get around 24fps encoding my recordings, now it is averaging around 33fps.

Is this because of the new X264 build?

FAII
30th April 2007, 20:36
I forgot about this thread at first, sorry:
I tried not checking "Deinterlace" for an obviously interlaced source. The results?

It only took half as much time to encode the file (x264/MP4) and the finished output was deinterlaced (somehow), anyway.

So what good does checking Deinterlace do, anyway? I accidentally checked it for encoding progressive source files once. They looked the same as normal to me (but they took twice as long as when not checking the Deinterlace box).

dvd_maniac
1st May 2007, 20:27
I am Using the latest Staxrip and trying to encode some old xvid avi files with 2 channel CBR mp3 audio.

Everything looks good until mp4box comes up and starts "analysing track timing" which takes like 20 minutes for a 43 minute video and then nothing. No mp4 file.
It does create a large(5+MB) *filename*_ts.txt file.
In the text file it starts off like so:
#dumping track ID 1 timing
Sample 1 - DTS 0 - CTS 2000
Sample 2 - DTS 1000 - CTS 7000
Sample 3 - DTS 2000 - CTS 5000
Sample 4 - DTS 3000 - CTS 3000
Sample 5 - DTS 4000 - CTS 4000
Sample 6 - DTS 5000 - CTS 6000
Sample 7 - DTS 6000 - CTS 12000
Sample 8 - DTS 7000 - CTS 10000
Sample 9 - DTS 8000 - CTS 8000
Sample 10 - DTS 9000 - CTS 9000

and goes on for a while and ends like so:
Sample 57709 - DTS 118185984 - CTS 118185984
Sample 57710 - DTS 118188032 - CTS 118188032
Sample 57711 - DTS 118190080 - CTS 118190080
Sample 57712 - DTS 118192128 - CTS 118192128
Sample 57713 - DTS 118194176 - CTS 118194176
Sample 57714 - DTS 118196224 - CTS 118196224

I've run into this sometimes but most of the files I have done work fine.
I've attached the log file in case someone can help figure this out for me?

dvd_maniac
3rd May 2007, 17:40
Well I guess they just can't be re-encoded..

Another issue maybe somebody else can help me with?

Since the new Staxrip I can no longer control the bitrate of the HE-ACC audio. I had it set to 32 before upgrading to 1.0 and it worked fine, about 10MB/45min episode.
Since the upgrade, it is around 20MB/45min episode.

I editted the proper profile and changed the bitrate but it doesn't seem to take. I tried this on 2 different PCs and get the same results.
I double checked the profile and it still says 32kbps.

Is this a bug?

LRN
3rd May 2007, 22:22
I don't think it is possible to change bitrate..only quality wich is not the same thing. "Bitrate" (somewhere in upper row) is expected average bitrate just for calculating purposes. Real output file bitrate is controlled by -vbr switch.
Also try to check "Preview" tab of profile editing dialog.
And try to look in logs for actual command lines executed.

dvd_maniac
3rd May 2007, 23:57
OK
Thanx LRN.

Does anybody know how to setup Dirmon to use Staxrip?
I could use a little help with it.

I have Staxrip 1.0.0.0 setup in C:\StaxRip_1.0.0.0
Everything works great when I use it manually and all applications are downloaded and installed fine.
But when I try to call Staxrip through Dirmon using the following command line I get "Project File not found" and it tries to open using default template...
-t: DownloadedX264 [[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.avi]] -Project/SavePath:[[%PATH%\%BASENAME%.rip]] -encode -exit

then it states that NeroACC must be installed in: Local Service\application data\staxrip\applications directory.. The problem is that it is already installed there but Staxrip can't see it when using command line due to permissions???

dvd_maniac
4th May 2007, 04:21
I don't think it is possible to change bitrate..only quality wich is not the same thing. "Bitrate" (somewhere in upper row) is expected average bitrate just for calculating purposes. Real output file bitrate is controlled by -vbr switch.
Also try to check "Preview" tab of profile editing dialog.
And try to look in logs for actual command lines executed.

The end of the command line under preview is:
-bsn( -vbr 0.3 -2ch )

do I change the 0.3 to something else to lower the filesize?

Deinorius
4th May 2007, 08:11
-vbr 0.2 ist lower at 45 kbit/s.

Something different.
Can anyone make an example how to make own "event commands"?
I want to make StaxRip doing open .mkv oder .mp4 Files with AVC Video to demux it with Matroska Demux and Indexing with DGAVCIndex.
I need a little example, so I can do it. I have no really idea, how to do it.

Oh, how can I mux with StaxRip without Encoding. It modifies the video name. Well, the biggest problem here is, that it uses Avisynth. But I want to use StaxRip because it can handle batch commands.

Thanks for help.

Edit!:
I got a new problem. I didn't use it for a few weeks, so I can't reproduce it. If I use FFT3DGPU and RemoveGrain(1) at the same time, StaxRip crashes. Script works fine with MPC/VDM.
I have no idea, where the problem ca be.

nohead
5th May 2007, 19:43
dvd_maniac, for that mp4box thing, have you tried to use another version of mp4box? I think that I've got once that (kind of) message before. Since I've changed the mp4box to 20070423 version, I haven't got that message yet...

For the audio bitrate, why not just use cbr. You'll surely get constant result ;)

By the way, congrats for the v1.0. It might be just a number, but it's finally there...

dvd_maniac
6th May 2007, 23:42
dvd_maniac, for that mp4box thing, have you tried to use another version of mp4box? I think that I've got once that (kind of) message before. Since I've changed the mp4box to 20070423 version, I haven't got that message yet...

I gave up and used .mkv for the avi files that were giving me problems...

OWNED
16th May 2007, 10:45
Hi guys, i have 2 big problems with StaxRip/AviSynth...

1) I want to put a small transparent logo in my video for a few seconds only but i don't know how. I don't know how to write a filter in staxrip or make an avisynth script. Is there a script or somethin' to load every time with staxrip and put a logo on a video and how i do it?

2) Every time i try to put an avisynth plugin in staxrip i see this message "Unsupported Colorspace: x264 requires YV12 input. Right-click filters, select 'Add' and choose 'Misc/ConvertToYV12'."
I add the YV12 filter in staxrip but i see again the same message and i can't continue with the encoding.

If someone knows about these. please help! Thanks :)

Zorrander
21st May 2007, 21:45
Using latest Staxrip, I have problems with a couple of DVD's that I'm trying to encode into h.264 files. Problem is the video comes out fine, but I end up with an AC3 file that has random noises and skips/jumps in it. This has only happened twice out of probably 100 DVDs.... but is somewhat annoying. :) I'm not really sure how to attack this... the original VOB's play fine, the resulting DGIndex AC3 file is the problem... so I figure it's something going wrong with DGIndex.

Deinorius
21st May 2007, 22:54
Demux with DVD Decrypter instead of DGIndex. I'm doing it this way. It saves some HDD space.

kikker
22nd May 2007, 19:58
Very nice app with enough things to fiddle with yet easy enough to use! THanks..

Anyways, wondering if it's possible to set up a template that will keep the resize slider in its place after a compression check, and just move the bitrate/file size up or down.

Also, I don't understand this auto-cropping feature. Is it only enabled when the crop filter is enabled? Does it work by ensuring that the source vid is mod16 on both axes? Why is it that when I load a source video of 640x480 res, and the crop filter is enabled, the height is reduced to 472 automatically as reported on the left side? After all, 480 is already a multiple of 16.

I suppose autocrop thinks there are black borders there, but it should be cropped 8 on each side to remain multiple of 16.

kikker
23rd May 2007, 17:24
If anyone's interested I've created two 5.5 ipod profiles to reflect what MeGUI's/Sharktooth's 5.5 profile does. I made some changes to the CLI box in the encoder configuration of the default built-in ipod profile. In fact, I made 1 5.5 320 profile for the small screen and a 5.5 640 profile for the large screen. The larger profile simply turns off deblocking and analyzes "none" for easier decoding at the higher resolutions. Apparently, turning these features off at the high resolutions leads to far less dropped frames.

Now, how does one export newly created profiles for use on another computer for instance? Where are encoder settings retained?:thanks:

dvd_maniac
24th May 2007, 18:26
Can somebody help me to create a video file with the Subtitles encoded into the video?
I am trying to encode Apocalypto, which is in Spanish and I need the English Subtitles to understand.

I ripped the DVD to HHD and used vsrip 1.0.0.6 to rip out the appropriate Subtitles like the guide said. I am using X264 with HE-AAC audio. I don't care if the container is .mp4 or .mkv...
The reason I need it burnt into the video is because the Media Center software that I use does not play Subtitles from video files.

kikker
24th May 2007, 18:32
Just get Vsfilter. It will display the subs for you. Make sure the .sub and .idx have the same name as the .mkv or .mp4. Also, media center doesn't like it when the .sub is rared. Unrar it and delete the rared file so that you have the .sub and .idx in the same dir as the .mkv.

dvd_maniac
24th May 2007, 20:19
Sorry, I shoukld have clarified more. When I say "Media Center software" I didn't mean MCE. I use SageTV (http://www.sage.tv). Although SageTV can play Closed Captions of Live TV and recorded TV files, it does not seem to support Subtitles inside of mp4 or mkv containers.
I can live without Subtitles for most things, BUT for the rare instances where the whole movie is in another language like Apocalypto, Passion of the Christ, Pan's Labirynth etc... I would rather just hard encode the subtitles in the video itself if possible.

nohead
27th May 2007, 10:13
1.0.0.1 (2007-05-27)

The mkv muxer supports now text subtitles which can be reordered and edited in place and are loaded automatically
There is now a option to define the maximum aspect ratio error
A bug was fixed causing StaxRip to crash on exit
A bug was fixed causing StaxRip to crash while trying to shutdown after encoding
A bug was fixed that occured when only some streams were extracted with VSRip instead of all streams
The main dialog displays now more friendly profile names
All x264 profiles use now auto for threads
VirtualDub was updated to version 1.6.18
DivX was updated to version 6.6.1
Some fixes and improvements for minor issues or less common scenarios

Another update. :thanks:

kikker
27th May 2007, 19:02
Thanks for the update!

However, I seem to also have lost my user-created x264 profiles when I updated to the new version. However, what is strange is that the user-created x264 profile which is associated with the default startup template is in fact loaded upon startup, but that profile does not appear in the list of x264 profiles in the menus. So, I have no way of going back to it without exiting the app and restarting.

stax76
27th May 2007, 22:17
Sorry about reseting video profiles, migration is often not possible.

It's possible to create profiles from settings in projects. It works in both directions, in the profiles dialog click 'Add' and select 'Current Project'.

The startup template is just a regular template project, it can be loaded anytime.

kikker
28th May 2007, 06:43
Hey, would there be anyway you could somehow incorporate just a couple more audio configurations? The ability to select a specific constant bitrate for instance would be great. The current VBR LE AAC profile has a chance of going above the 160kbps mark, which is not allowed by some devices including the ipod. Thanks!

stax76
28th May 2007, 11:53
However, I seem to also have lost my user-created x264 profiles

I tried to add migration code and succeeded, while doing so I've learnt some programming lessons about migration and fixed two more bugs I've discovered:

http://www.planetdvb.net/non_drupal/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

*A bug was fixed causing a crash using the 'Edit' feature in the profiles dialog
*A bug was fixed regarding the setup, settings location, local and roaming application data directory

Hey, would there be anyway you could somehow incorporate just a couple more audio configurations?

If you know good defaults please suggest a audio profile name and post the command line.

Deano123
30th May 2007, 08:53
I Need To Open My Script In Staxrip?

kikker
30th May 2007, 22:18
If you know good defaults please suggest a audio profile name and post the command line.

I think just changing the -vbr 0.5 to -cbr 128 would work just fine. Thanks...

AAC-LC CBR 128 iPod

BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\Documents\Video Samples\Matrix.wav" -output "D:\Documents\Video Samples\Matrix_AudioOutput.mp4" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -g max ) -bsn( -aacprofile_lc -cbr 128 -2ch )

I could be wrong about adding -aacprofile_lc. Your AAC-LC profiles do not include that switch, and from the manual, bsn defaults to -aacprofile_he. Unless, you have an updated besweet man page that says otherwise...

I'm noticing also that the drop-down selection of the LC or HE doesn't do anything in the command line. Is that a bug?

Deano123
31st May 2007, 17:19
''avisynth scripts cant be imported, please use the build in avisynth feature''

LRN
31st May 2007, 20:14
StaxRip supports avisynth scripts as "filters". It's somewhat annoying, but i think it is necessary, because StaxRip IS NOT an avisynth-based transcoder.
If you need to use some external script in StaxRip, you should add it, in the same way as you do with Deinterlace, Resize and other AviSynth filters.
Few pages back i posted here my own ripped-off variant of seesaw.avs script, adapted for StaxRip.

invy
11th June 2007, 10:25
omg finally I can post a message.... I waited 5 days. :)

Ok I have a problem here with Staxrip concerning DGIndex. I searched these forums hard in those 5 days I had to wait and didn't find anything to read about it.

My problem is whenever I load a file, then it starts transcoding okay, but after that part when it's DGIndex's turn to process the mpeg2 file, it doesn't actually process anything and just stalls. DGIndex's window just pops up and its black, and my cpu usage at 0.00% which means nothing is processing.

However, I can manually go to Open > File in DGIndex and pick a m2v, but I notice the side effect of doing so. The effect is that the last 10-20% of whatever the file's length is will be glitched and corrupted.

Anyone experience that problem with DGIndex not wanting to process automatically?

I noticed it only happens with SMALL files around 1.5 GB or less. If the file is 2 GB or more, then DGIndex will do work just fine!

The filetype is an uncompressed 12Mbit MPEG2 stream that my Hauppauge WinTV-PVR150 outputs... i'm really wishing someone could help me.

dansus
11th June 2007, 21:11
wow, ive just found this great app, thank you for making it so easy. i love the one click downloading and installing of ext apps.

Time to look under the hood and see what can be done.

zilexa
16th June 2007, 17:10
Hey Stax, I found your app, it's so easy to use!
I wanted to convert all my short movies, created with a photocamera to xvid+mp3/avi. But my camera records in MJPEG/avi.
I get an error, "Avisource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc mjpg (path to file_Source.avs, line 1)"

I already had the latest ffdshow (from x264.nl) installed before I installed Staxrip.

I downloaded pvmjpg21.dll and installed it (regsvr32).
Then I added in the Filters window "Directshow".
But I still get the same message!

Then I deselected Avisource in Filters, only Directshow selected. Now I get the message : "No active filter of the category Source found".

When I check Ffdshow VFW Configuration, I see it can handle MJPEG...

How do I get this to work?

@sbp

here it loads:

FourCC: MJPG
Pvmjpg20.dll (PICVideo MJPEG Codec)

Please don't ask me from where I got this dll, I don't know it. In VirtualDub when you go to 'File/File Information' you'll likely see 'VirtualDub internal MJPEG'. StaxRip of course has no internal MJPEG decompressor but I hope somebody can tell us where to find a free decompressor. In the StaxRip 'Filters' menu if you right-click the source filter using DirectShowSource might find a decompressor while AVISource don't, here it finds one using ffdshow.

Edit: After rereading your first post I realize you got PICVideo, what decompressor your system is setup to use for MJPG can be seen when searching in regedit for 'VIDC.MJPG', is that set to Pvmjpg20.dll?

@hellfred

Nice, I'll update it shortly.

ch@@boom
22nd June 2007, 11:07
I have major problems encoding the sopranos dvd to xvid, 2 mp3 streams.
I open all vobs from an dvd and use frame selection to mark the episodes.

in the end the audio of the first stream (german) is ok, 50:25 min.
but the second audio stream (english) is too short, 42:03. (both .ac3 and of course .mp3)

what causes the problem, and how can i get rid of it??

staxrip latest version and all external applications have been checked.

here is the log file:

MPEG2Source("D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(0,0,-0,-0)
BicubicResize(576,320,0,0.5)
Trim(0,75628)

---------- Audio Cutting ----------

Crop(0,0,-0,-0)

---------- Audio Cutting Statistics ----------

Start time: 09:52:30
End time: 09:53:49
Duration: 00:01:19
Speed: 957 fps
Size: 69,2 MB

---------- Audio Encoding ----------

Command Line: "D:\xp\util\tcmd7\addons\divx\staxrip\Settings\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1 02 de-German 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting.ac3" -output "D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1 02 de-German 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting_AudioOutput.mp3" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain ) -lame( -v --vbr-new -V 5 -b 32 )

Start time: 09:53:49
End time: 09:57:35
Duration: 00:03:45
Speed: 335 fps
Size: 35,8 MB
Bitrate: 99,31 kbps
Video Bitrate: 849 -> 877

---------- Audio Cutting ----------

Crop(0,0,-0,-0)

---------- Audio Cutting Statistics ----------

Start time: 09:57:35
End time: 09:59:06
Duration: 00:01:30
Speed: 837 fps
Size: 115,5 MB

---------- Audio Encoding ----------

Command Line: "D:\xp\util\tcmd7\addons\divx\staxrip\Settings\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting.ac3" -output "D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting_AudioOutput.mp3" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain ) -lame( -v --vbr-new -V 5 -b 32 )

Start time: 09:59:06
End time: 10:02:53
Duration: 00:03:47
Speed: 332 fps
Size: 24,3 MB
Bitrate: 67,52 kbps
Video Bitrate: 877 -> 938

---------- First Pass Codec Parameters ----------

ar_mode: 0
ar_x: 4
ar_y: 3
aspect_ratio: 0
audio_mode: 0
audio_rate: 128
audio_size: 0
audio_type: 0
bitrate: 943
bquant_offset: 100
bquant_ratio: 150
Brightness: 0
chromame: 1
container_type: 1
curve_compression_high: 0
curve_compression_low: 0
Deblock_UV: 0
Deblock_Y: 0
debug: 0
Dering_UV: 0
Dering_Y: 0
desired_quant: 200
desired_size: 348184
discard1pass: 1
display_status: 0
FilmEffect: 0
fourcc_used: 0
fps: 2
frame_drop_ratio: 0
full1pass: 0
gmc: 0
hours: 1
interlacing: 0
keyframe_boost: 10
kfreduction: 20
kfthreshold: 1
lum_masking: 0
max_bframes: 2
max_bquant: 31
max_iquant: 31
max_key_interval: 300
max_pquant: 31
min_bquant: 1
min_iquant: 1
min_pquant: 1
minutes: 30
mode: 1
motion_search: 6
num_zones: 1
overflow_control_strength: 5
packed: 1
par_x: 1
par_y: 1
profile: (unrestricted)
qpel: 0
quality: General purpose
quant_type: 0
rc_averaging_period: 100
rc_buffer: 100
rc_reaction_delay_factor: 16
seconds: 0
stats: D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.pass
subtitle_size: 0
target_size: 665600
tff: 0
trellis_quant: 1
turbo: 0
twopass_max_overflow_degradation: 5
twopass_max_overflow_improvement: 5
use_2pass_bitrate: 0
use_bvop: 1
vhq_bframe: 0
vhq_mode: 1
vop_debug: 0
zone0_bvop_threshold: 0
zone0_cartoon_mode: 0
zone0_chroma_opt: 0
zone0_frame: 0
zone0_greyscale: 0
zone0_mode: 0
zone0_quant: 500
zone0_type: 0
zone0_weight: 100

---------- First Pass Encoding ----------

VirtualDub.Open("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\VTS_01_1.avs","",0);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\Temporary Files\\VTS_01_1_FirstPass.avi");

---------- First Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 10:02:53
End time: 10:19:21
Duration: 00:16:27
Speed: 77 fps

---------- Single, Second or NTh Pass Codec Parameters ----------

ar_mode: 0
ar_x: 4
ar_y: 3
aspect_ratio: 0
audio_mode: 0
audio_rate: 128
audio_size: 0
audio_type: 0
bitrate: 943
bquant_offset: 100
bquant_ratio: 150
Brightness: 0
chromame: 1
container_type: 1
curve_compression_high: 0
curve_compression_low: 0
Deblock_UV: 0
Deblock_Y: 0
debug: 0
Dering_UV: 0
Dering_Y: 0
desired_quant: 200
desired_size: 348184
discard1pass: 1
display_status: 0
FilmEffect: 0
fourcc_used: 0
fps: 2
frame_drop_ratio: 0
full1pass: 0
gmc: 0
hours: 1
interlacing: 0
keyframe_boost: 10
kfreduction: 20
kfthreshold: 1
lum_masking: 0
max_bframes: 2
max_bquant: 31
max_iquant: 31
max_key_interval: 300
max_pquant: 31
min_bquant: 1
min_iquant: 1
min_pquant: 1
minutes: 30
mode: 2
motion_search: 6
num_zones: 1
overflow_control_strength: 5
packed: 1
par_x: 1
par_y: 1
profile: (unrestricted)
qpel: 0
quality: General purpose
quant_type: 0
rc_averaging_period: 100
rc_buffer: 100
rc_reaction_delay_factor: 16
seconds: 0
stats: D:\zip\sopranos.s06\d1\Temporary Files\VTS_01_1.pass
subtitle_size: 0
target_size: 665600
tff: 0
trellis_quant: 1
turbo: 0
twopass_max_overflow_degradation: 5
twopass_max_overflow_improvement: 5
use_2pass_bitrate: 1
use_bvop: 1
vhq_bframe: 0
vhq_mode: 1
vop_debug: 0
zone0_bvop_threshold: 0
zone0_cartoon_mode: 0
zone0_chroma_opt: 0
zone0_frame: 0
zone0_greyscale: 0
zone0_mode: 0
zone0_quant: 500
zone0_type: 0
zone0_weight: 100

---------- Single, Second or NTh Pass Encoding ----------

VirtualDub.Open("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\VTS_01_1.avs","",0);
VirtualDub.RemoveInputStreams();
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(1);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x64697678,0,10000,0);
VirtualDub.stream[0].SetSource("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\Temporary Files\\VTS_01_1 02 de-German 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting_AudioOutput.mp3",0x00000202,1);
VirtualDub.stream[0].SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.stream[1].SetSource("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\Temporary Files\\VTS_01_1 01 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY 0ms_Cutting_AudioOutput.mp3",0x00000202,1);
VirtualDub.stream[1].SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("D:\\zip\\sopranos.s06\\d1\\VTS_01_1.avi");

---------- Single, Second or NTh Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 10:19:21
End time: 10:40:16
Duration: 00:20:54
Speed: 60 fps

Start time: 09:52:30
End time: 10:40:16
Duration: 00:47:45

stax76
23rd June 2007, 09:42
@ch@@boom

For Sopranos and probably most other series there is a PGC for each episode, sadly StaxRip don't support PGC selection for full DVD rips, as workaround DVD Decrypter can be used to rip each PGC to a separate folder. Folder naming scheme might be season number, disc number, PGC number. StaxRip has a feature called 'Directory Batch', I've backed up all Sopranos seasons with dual audio this way without problems.

It's cumbersome to rip each PGC in it's own folder but I don't know a easier solution, the ripping possibly could be automated scripting DVD Decrypter's CLI.

dansus
24th June 2007, 22:56
Hi, does anybody have some tips on how to reduce the colours being slightly over saturated when using stax?

thanks.