PDA

View Full Version : StaxRip x86 (development for x86 has been stopped)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Nrmf
30th December 2005, 05:05
will not create a report that way either so i will manual enter what it says...

System Exception:AVIFileOpen failed
at staxrip.avifile.open(string filename)
at staxrip.avisynthdocument.synchronized()
at staxrip.avisynthdocument.GetFramerate()
at staxrip.globalclass.solvemacros(string value)
at staxrip.info.getmacros()
at staxrip.globalclass.sendbugreport(exception ex)

think thats got it...really hope that helps

mulrich
30th December 2005, 13:16
Optional subtitles are already supported for mkv, mp4 and divx ;)

Yar, well, I meant multiple hardsub tracks :P So I don't have to go and add an extra line in the AviSynth script manually everytime.

stax76
30th December 2005, 15:57
@Nrmf

Thanks for your endurance, I much appriate it. I can't promise you we will solve it until I got such a system but as long as people send debug info I'll work on it. I just got a report by another 64 bit user. Here is the next build:

http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

Yar, well, I meant multiple hardsub tracks :P So I don't have to go and add an extra line in the AviSynth script manually everytime.

Eh, I think I could need some clarification, how is gonna 2 forced subtitles at the same time work? Won't they blend each other or is there a way to adjust the hight?

swaaye
30th December 2005, 17:19
I've been using Staxrip for a couple days now. Few comments.

- Would be nice if the Staxrip window wasn't "frozen" while the program is running jobs. Hard to tell how many jobs are remaining this way.

- Be able to set it to just use 1 audio file instead of two if it detects two in folder. And be able to set it to only use AC3 files.

- Staxrip's auto crop is pretty poor. I've seen it crop huge parts of the top/bottom. It seems far too agressive. I've set mine up to use the Autocrop filter in the Filters flow (autocrop(mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10, aspect=-1,threshold=34,samplestartframe=1000,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)
). I got the latest autocrop too, the one used in AutoGK as well. (Maybe that's what's causing the prog probs?) I used AutoGK's parameters as a guide but set aspect=-1 so it doesn't change the aspect of the input. Using this causes annoying delays when Staxrip accesses the filter stream (autocrop looking at frames), but it's acceptable because it crops extremely well.

- I added a "Precise Bicubic" (BicubicResize(x,y,0,0.75)) option. According to avisynth faq it's the same config as VDub's Precise Bicubic. I've actually found it gives a better picture than Lanczos with these noisy TV DVDs and a Xvid HT NTSC setup. Precise Bicubic looks arguably better than using RemoveGrain(mode=2)+Lanczos in my testing. And it's faster. Obviously this is personal pref. Bitrate ~1100.

TIVTC is a fantastic filter btw. Might be a good addition. A lot faster than decomb and works very well with hyrids even.

stax76
30th December 2005, 18:39
- Would be nice if the Staxrip window wasn't "frozen" while the program is running jobs. Hard to tell how many jobs are remaining this way.

What you should see is the Log dialog or it's a bug, maybe I can write to the top of the log "Job 1 of 4".

- Be able to set it to just use 1 audio file instead of two if it detects two in folder.

I'll take a look at it.

And be able to set it to only use AC3 files.

Correct would be of course if it would only pick up files that are supported by the selected audio profile and it would use the priority defined in the audio profile. I'll take a look at it.

-Autocrop is pretty poor. I've seen it crop huge parts of the top/bottom. It seems far to agressive. I've set mine up to use the Autocrop filter in the Filters flow (autocrop(mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10, aspect=-1,threshold=34,samplestartframe=1000,leftadd=0,rightadd=0,topadd=0,bottomadd=0)

If possible I would like to avoid making a option. Maybe you can explain me the differences between your and my method, I'm using this:

ConvertToYV12().AutoCrop(mode=2)

Do you wanna put this in the filter setup and disable the build in feature? I've never tried something like this but it should work.

- I added a "Precise Bicubic" (BicubicResize(x,y,0,0.75)) option. According to avisynth faq it's the same config as VDub's Precise Bicubic. I've actually found it gives a better picture than Lanczos with these noisy TV DVDs and a Xvid HT NTSC setup. Precise Bicubic looks arguably better than using RemoveGrain(mode=2)+Lanczos in my testing. And it's faster. Obviously this is personal pref. Bitrate ~1100.

TIVTC is a fantastic filter btw. Might be a good addition. A lot faster than decomb and works very well with hyrids even.

Maybe you can post patches, everything that needs another dll is critical as I have to integrate it in the download feature as well.

field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "Deinterlace", "FieldDeinterlace()", True))
field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "Fast Deinterlace", "SeparateFields().SelectEven()", True))
field.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Field", "IVTC", "Telecide(guide=1).Decimate()", True))

resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Sharp", "LanczosResize(%target_width%,%target_height%)", True))
resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Neutral", "BicubicResize(%target_width%,%target_height%,0,0.5)", True))
resize.Fiters.Add(New AviSynthFilter("Resize", "Soft", "BilinearResize(%target_width%,%target_height%)", True))

Since it seems that you've grasped all StaxRip's AviSynth features, I hope it's a good way to do things.

swaaye
30th December 2005, 19:48
Since it seems that you've grasped all StaxRip's AviSynth features, I hope it's a good way to do things.

Yes I really like your prog. It's so much more powerful than AutoGK but is almost as simple. The way everything is editable is fairly amazing, IMO.

What you should see is the Log dialog or it's a bug, maybe I can write to the top of the log "Job 1 of 4".

Actually what I mean is that the project setup window is frozen completely and isn't displaying any useful info (other than the processing window that loads when you start an encode). It's the same sort of thing as when a program freezes up and you have to kill it. I know it's not locked though, it processes through the jobs fine though. Maybe you could set it up to minimize/hide the big project setup window and just display a job list panel? This would also hopefully allow one to kill off individual jobs instead of hitting Abort for a few minutes and ending them as Staxrip loads them. I thought AutoGK had this setup very well.

swaaye
30th December 2005, 19:55
If possible I would like to avoid making a option. Maybe you can explain me the differences between your and my method, I'm using this:

ConvertToYV12().AutoCrop(mode=2)

Do you wanna put this in the filter setup and disable the build in feature? I've never tried something like this but it should work.

The story is I used AutoGK for a ton of encodes recently and it cropped fantastically. So, I just used most of what lenn0x had set for parameters, with the one change to not force a new aspect ratio. I initially tried forcing 4.0:3.0, like his readme for autocrop 1.2 says, but that gave be a strange 5:4 aspect in the end. I just set it to aspect=-1 and all was well and it still cropped great in the 3 or 4 test encodes I did last night.

As to the other parameters he used, I don't know what the exact purpose is. I'm guessing that they optimize the crop to fit better within codec resolution limitations (hence the multiples of 4). He has 'hMultOf' set to 4 instead of the default of 2. His slightly higher threshold of 34 (from 30) is probably to help autocrop be more sensitive with a wide range of sources (dirty/clean). I set the the sample start frame to 1000 because I thought frame 0 would just be blank anyway so would be pointless.

Mutant_Fruit
30th December 2005, 20:00
I set the the sample start frame to 1000
And if the clip is 999 frames long?

stax76
30th December 2005, 20:14
Actually what I mean is that the project setup window is frozen completely and isn't displaying any useful info (other than the processing window that loads when you start an encode). It's the same sort of thing as when a program freezes up and you have to kill it. I know it's not locked though, it processes through the jobs fine though.

I've changed the title bar of the processing window to "StaxRip - Log" so it'll be called Log window in future versions. Whenever this is visible the main dialog is hidden, so it's a bug.

Maybe you could set it up to minimize/hide the big project setup window and just display a job list panel? This would also hopefully allow one to kill off individual jobs instead of hitting Abort for a few minutes and ending them as Staxrip loads them. I thought AutoGK had this setup very well.

I'll investigate it but it would be a non trivial change. This area has not the best design as it's a) difficult and b) inherited from DVX.

swaaye
30th December 2005, 21:41
And if the clip is 999 frames long?
I set it for myself, not for the general populace. I'm saying that frame 0 probably isn't useful.

swaaye
30th December 2005, 22:10
Stax,

One more idea. Can you set StaxRip to load the Virtualdub windows minimized?

stax76
30th December 2005, 22:22
Probably yes

digidragon
30th December 2005, 22:38
One small, irritating thing. When selecting an MPEG (with mp2 audio) as the source, it insists on trying to get me to download and install java in order to run ProjectX. The MPEG is not a transport stream, and if I rename it to *.vob then it's accepted without a problem.

stax76
30th December 2005, 23:06
ProjectX works great with mpg files recorded by DVBViewer. In the options you can config what demuxers to use and even config the file extensions a demuxer should handle. You can remove ProjectX or edit ProjectX to not handle mpg.

digidragon
30th December 2005, 23:20
Okay thanks - I'll look at the settings (I've only just started using it).

Nrmf
30th December 2005, 23:52
cool ...gonna try the hotfix i assume i just unzip and run the .exe in there

Nrmf
31st December 2005, 00:26
well stax i get an error still trying to pul in .vob files but this time no box just shuts down stax and a MS box pops open asking me if i want to send a report to them. so im not able to give you any info ...looks like i need to format and go back to 32 bit O/S to use your app

stax76
31st December 2005, 00:39
You can try another build, if you see the native error dialog again, then we are out of look until I get a 64 bit system.

Nrmf
31st December 2005, 01:29
man thats a ton of error messages

Nrmf
31st December 2005, 01:30
i tell you what stax since you have taken your time to make your app better and let others use as soon as a 64 bit combo comes up on sell at my local frys i will buy and send to you, it might only be a 64 bit sempron but i assume that wont make any differemce.

Nrmf
31st December 2005, 01:32
i am gonna reformat this hard drive and install it on 32 bit windows with 64 bit cpu, hop eu dont mind me fireing off a ton of questions at you.

swaaye
31st December 2005, 02:36
Stax just want to say thanks for this program. It's working really great for me and is really what I wanted to see out of AutoGK. Have a great New Years.

Aladdin
31st December 2005, 02:45
I only just now figured out it's possible to add prepare operations based on file extension. So I thought I might try to add VD demuxing myself. It's a bit ugly (didn't find a way around the 'cmd /c' yet), but it works. So if anyone else wants to use VD for the avi audio demuxing, add a new prepare operation of type 'command line' with 'avi' as input and 'wav' for audio output and the following command lines:

cmd /c echo VirtualDub.Open(VirtualDub.params[0]); > "%application_dir%\demuxaudio.vcf"
cmd /c echo VirtualDub.SaveWAV(VirtualDub.params[1]); >> "%application_dir%\demuxaudio.vcf"
cmd /c echo VirtualDub.Close(); >> "%application_dir%\demuxaudio.vcf"
cmd /c start /wait %application:VirtualDub% /x /i "%application_dir%\demuxaudio.vcf" "%source_file%" "%source_dir%%source_name%.wav"
cmd /c del "%application_dir%\demuxaudio.vcf"
Don't forget to disable to the AVI2WAV prepare operation or both operartions will get launched every time you open an avi.

travisbell
31st December 2005, 06:50
Hey guys, I just installed Stax and gotta say... looks pretty cool.

2 questions though.

1) Am I just blind or how do I enable IVTC in order to get my 29.976fps content down to 23.976fps?

2) If I want to ONLY use FFDSHOW, is there any way I can maintain AC3 audio with x264 encodes? Or do I have to use AAC?

Thanks!! Looks like a killer app dude.

Cheers,

GhaFear
31st December 2005, 13:49
I am getting the audio delay problem again. Not sure. What’s the deal.
WINXP.SP2 - Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 745 1.80GHz (Centrino)

I use DVDx v2.3. And I get perfect video & audio sync.
Something is missing not sure what it is. I am guessing it's the Framerate or CPU compatibility issue.

But I like it for what it does so far...

ZK

mulrich
31st December 2005, 15:46
Eh, I think I could need some clarification, how is gonna 2 forced subtitles at the same time work? Won't they blend each other or is there a way to adjust the hight?

When making an ASS or SSA subtitle, you can tell the subtitles where to appear. You can also tell them whether they are to move from one point to another and loads of other things.

For example, I'm karaoke subbing a videoklip. I have the Japanese Romaji moving, karaoke-style in the top of the video, while static English subs are displayed in the bottom of the video.

It's not a big deal to go and add another subtitle in the AVS file, but it would be convinient if it was possible directly from StaxRip. :)

swaaye
31st December 2005, 18:15

I use DVDx v2.3. And I get perfect video & audio sync.
Something is missing not sure what it is. I am guessing it's the Framerate or CPU compatibility issue.

But I like it for what it does so far...

ZK

Not having any probs with my Centrino notebook ripping away. Could be something with DVDx.

Nrmf
31st December 2005, 20:40
how should i have the xvid codec setup up so many settings and options to go through

weaver4
31st December 2005, 22:27
I am having a small problem with StaxRip. I got the movie "the Island" for Christmas. I have used avi.net and staxrip to make a copy of it and the staxrip copy is much worse than the avi.net copy. I have done both of them at 1100kbs rate but the staxrip copy is noticably more blocky particularly around the edges and during motion.

For example during the pre-picture the Warners-Bothers big "W" comes towards you the avi.net copy is smooth, the staxrip has a ragged, jagged edge to the "W".

I am sure it is something I have set up wrong since I am using the same XviD codec to do both.

Any hints would be appreciated.

swaaye
1st January 2006, 03:33
how should i have the xvid codec setup up so many settings and options to go through

I'd hit the load defaults button and just set a profile. I'm using the DXN NTSC profile cuz I'm making files for my DVP642.

Doom9 itself has a guide for setting up Xvid 1.1.

Nrmf
1st January 2006, 04:14
thank you

stax76
1st January 2006, 15:25
Happy new year to the community. First release this year is a urgent bug fix release as I've received more then ten bug reports about a weird bug I wasn't able to reproduce. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback, it'll keep me busy for some time.

0.9.1.8 (2006-01-01)

fix: fixed bug in settings dialog and maybe other TreeView based dialogs causing a crash on some systems.
new: experimental/beta new x264 encoder.

Regarding the new x264 dialog, I would like to improve this a little bit and hope to get a little help. I want to move the most popular options to the main tab, what could that be? I also want to add a turbo checkbox which would use faster settings for analysis passes, any suggestions for this feature? Most importantly is I'll add the possibility to add additional CLI switches for what no GUI controls are available yet.

stax76
1st January 2006, 16:16
@swaaye

I wasn't able to reproduce the freeze issue, maybe you can mail some log files.

I've changed auto crop for the next release:

AutoCrop(mode=2,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=10)

i am gonna reformat this hard drive and install it on 32 bit windows with 64 bit cpu, hop eu dont mind me fireing off a ton of questions at you.

I'm sorry it didn't work, seems like other .NET apps have also problems. If more and more bug reports are made I have to get such a system hoping I can fix the problems this way, donations would help of course.

@Aladdin

thanks for posting the code, I'll need to work on this stuff.

Am I just blind or how do I enable IVTC in order to get my 29.976fps content down to 23.976fps?

There is some preset that can by applied using the context menu. I want to add default Filter Setup profiles. Making default profiles and default values in general is not so easy, I hope I'll find more people helping me here suggesting their favorite scripts, command lines and values. I want also add features to detect all this things automatically but that's even harder.

If I want to ONLY use FFDSHOW, is there any way I can maintain AC3 audio with x264 encodes? Or do I have to use AAC?

Could work using mkv.

You mean it's out of sync? Could have many reasons but with this information I can only make guesses.

@mulrich

Latest build allows to add multiple forced subtitles.

StaxRip and XviD defaults are OK, you got to ensure the bitrate is high enough, here is a link about it: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104944

ricardo.santos
1st January 2006, 16:47
although i dont use x264 for backups i decided to try it using staxrip new version.

i get audio sync problems when playing the file, tried 4different video files.

when i open Staxrip one of the first things i do is to picck the encoder and muxer, i opened Staxrip picked x264 and mp4box and then opened the video file waited for dgindex to do his work, after dgindex finishes the encoder and muxer options are reverted to the default ones that in my case are divx and virtualdubmod,

Ricardo

stax76
1st January 2006, 18:08
i get audio sync problems when playing the file, tried 4different video files.

In case of problems the best thing to do is always enclosing possible reasons, for instance you can try another muxer, try another encoder or try another demuxer.

when i open Staxrip one of the first things i do is to picck the encoder and muxer, i opened Staxrip picked x264 and mp4box and then opened the video file waited for dgindex to do his work, after dgindex finishes the encoder and muxer options are reverted to the default ones that in my case are divx and virtualdubmod,

When you open a source StaxRip will load the default project if another source is already open or if the assistant don't is at the very first tip which is "Please open a source file." It would ask to save the the current project if it was modified and a source was opened when opening a new source so the only possible reason I'm aware of is the assistant wasn't at the very first tip. The assistant should not be bypassed so this makes sense. I could however just reset the assistant tips which appears to have only advantages.

ricardo.santos
1st January 2006, 21:27
In case of problems the best thing to do is always enclosing possible reasons, for instance you can try another muxer, try another encoder or try another demuxer.

the sync problem only appears when using x264 in version (0.9.1.8), before, that wasnt a problem, i used x264 as codec and mp4box as the muxer always.
can i use another muxer instead of mp4box?

stax76
2nd January 2006, 13:48
The sync problem only appears when using x264 in version (0.9.1.8), before, that wasnt a problem, i used x264 as codec and mp4box as the muxer always.
can i use another muxer instead of mp4box?

I don't know another MP4 muxer, you could try however mkvmerge to see if it works better. If it does it's a indication that MP4Box is the problem. I don't remember any recent changes that could cause a sync issue. Sync issues can happen:

*while demuxing, maybe another demuxer can be used, you could config StaxRip to load audio and video with AviSynth and then play the script in a media player to check if the demuxer is the problem.
*while audio encoding, StaxRip audio profiles don't handle delay and the StaxRip muxers will notice if the delay wasn't handled and thus handle it, check the command line, you could also use -ota( -d %delay% ) in the audio profile, the muxer wouldn't handle the delay then.
*while muxing, check the command line, for most containers there aren't many alternative muxers.
*while playback, try different DirectShow filters and try players that don't rely on DirectShow like VlC and mplayer.

bond
2nd January 2006, 13:58
i dunno what staxrip does internally, but mp4box will set 25fps by default when importing a raw video stream. so when you import from raw video with a different fps you need to use the -fps switch

also mp4box handles setting a delay, but this isnt taken into account by many players, so always make sure you correct the delay already while audio encoding

stax76
2nd January 2006, 14:04
i dunno what staxrip does internally, but mp4box will set 25fps by default when importing a raw video stream. so when you import from raw video with a different fps you need to use the -fps switch

iirc on raw streams it does pass the framerate to MP4Box.

also mp4box handles setting a delay, but this isnt taken into account by many players, so always make sure you correct the delay already while audio encoding

I better modify then all audio profiles to handle delay.

LRN
2nd January 2006, 19:30
About this new x264...How to configure 1st and 2nd passes separately? I have to set decision quality to 1 (fastest) for 1st pass, but not for 2nd pass...

stax76
2nd January 2006, 21:13
@LRN

The intermediate concept of the old dialog is to not ideal for novice users, I'm trying to make StaxRip as easy as possible as announced in a posting about a focus shift. What I can do is letting users customize the turbo switches if that aren't too many (5-10) so please tell me what exactly is decision quality. I've seen quite a few people struggle with the StaxRip intermediate concept and the MeGUI turbo/automated concept, I also received quite a few bug reports caused by misconfiguration of the intermediate feature (there aren't verifications for the settings). That's why in the new dialog I'm previewing the command lines of all passes together.

LRN
3rd January 2006, 04:20
Look at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-x264.html
"Moreover, two passes need not take twice as long as one pass. You can tweak the options in the first pass for higher speed and lower quality. If you choose your options well, you can get a very fast first pass. The resulting quality in the second pass will be slightly lower because size prediction is less accurate, but the quality difference is normally much too small to be visible. Try, for example, adding subq=1:frameref=1 to the first pass x264encopts. Then, on the second pass, use slower, higher-quality options: subq=6:frameref=15:4x4mv:me=3"
As i understand, Subpixel Motion Estimation and Max Consecutive B-Frames should be 1 (both) for first pass.
As i sad before, in my previous post, it's not so easy to configure x264 for optimal speed/quality.

chipzoller
3rd January 2006, 21:12
To interject in this conversation...

I've noticed that using StaxRip I get occasional frames in my encodes that still look interlaced even though the source is FILM...I dont' think I ever saw this in GK. Has anyone else noticed this? If I set the option to deinterlace I don't see this that much, but the source is progressive FILM.

Also, is it possible when calculating bitrate from final file size (if DivX is used as the encoder) can you take the calculating function inside StaxRip from the calculator found in the codec config?

LRN
4th January 2006, 14:17
I just finished backup of "Cast Away" movie...At the end i got 1064 Mb mp4 file with only video. But! If i keep it in one directory with audio files (ac3, three of them - two language tracks and one audio comment track), it plays video AND ALL 3 audio files simultaneously! Sounds really weird and cool, but that's not what i want, really...Looks like it's Staxrip-mp4box compatibility issue. I should mention, what i used mp4 files for audio input (my first encoding attemt failed, but AAC encoder performed fine, and i got two mp4 AAC tracks, so i kept them as "Calculate size only").
I tried to mix everything manually with YAMB MP4box frontent and got full 1400 Mb mp4 movie without subtitles, with only one audiotrack (there MUST be another audiotrack in this file, but i did not found any way to switch tracks; i use MPC + ffdshow + Haali splitter), and this audio track is not syncronized with video.
---------
Yayyyy! I'm really dumb :) Did'nt noticed "Mux AAC" :) Damn...

stax76
4th January 2006, 18:46
I've noticed that using StaxRip I get occasional frames in my encodes that still look interlaced even though the source is FILM...I dont' think I ever saw this in GK. Has anyone else noticed this? If I set the option to deinterlace I don't see this that much, but the source is progressive FILM.

StaxRip leaves the AviSynth configuration for the most part up to the user, I think GoradianKnot is much different in this regard.

Also, is it possible when calculating bitrate from final file size (if DivX is used as the encoder) can you take the calculating function inside StaxRip from the calculator found in the codec config?

Something like this currently does not work, is there a problem or limitation with the StaxRip calculator?

@LRN

I'll do x264 work shortly.

FFWD
4th January 2006, 19:03
Hi Stax,

MeGUI has custom x264 video profiles. Is something similar expected for StaxRip (I like the 'HQ Slower' preset)? Can you add AAC-HE v2?

stax76
4th January 2006, 19:11
MeGUI has custom x264 video profiles. Is something similar expected for StaxRip (I like the 'HQ Slower' preset)?

Seems like it's frequently requested so probably yes. The more people request a certain feature the sooner it will be supported.

Can you add AAC-HE v2?

It would be much easier for me people sending me command lines, links and anything else that could be useful for adding it.

stax76
5th January 2006, 21:47
0.9.1.9 (2006-01-05)

fix: Fixed crash using second audio track only.
fix: Warning and refusing opening files with unicode name as it's not supported by some applications e.g. DGIndex.
fix: It's no longer possible to ignore crucial assistant instructions and warnings.
new: Enabled MP4 and MKV input for the MKV muxer, can be used with x264 and fixes also a bug.
new: x264 quality mode (--qrf).
change: Updated to x264 395 wich fixes also incompatibility bugs.
change: Added delay handling to audio profiles since it's better to use the encoder instead of the muxer to handle delay.
change: Only audio files are picked up when opening a source file that are supported by the audio profile.
change: Legacy x264 encoder removed.
change: x264 encoder command line preview includes now all file paths.

riggits
6th January 2006, 00:40
Thanks Stax, I'm just starting to use (and appreciate!) the StaxRip tool. Very nice :)
One problem: it tries to download an old XviD version, 1.1.0beta2. Maybe that needs to be fixed since the 1.1 final release is out.
Testing now..

FooFighter007
6th January 2006, 00:52
Great tool and my No.1 choice if it comes to DVB-T to mp4 conversion!

Big Th@nX!

Sirber
6th January 2006, 00:59
It would be much easier for me people sending me command lines, links and anything else that could be useful for adding it.Get BeLight. You make the settings and it gives back the cmdline :)

stax76
6th January 2006, 01:39
@riggits

I forgot to update, it's compatible so you can use it anyway, you can disable the warning.

@Sirber

Thanks, I'll take a look at this tool.

traragorn
6th January 2006, 11:53
Hi there,
this is a great tool Stax , thanks for your hardwork.I recently started using it and I have a problem , I am trying to encode some anime raws from Japan at 120 fps with your tool to make x264 mkv files.The problem is I couldnt find a way to reduce the fps to 23.976 ; in which my ssa subtitle is.I really don't know anything much about avisynth but tried this :

Decimate(5).Decimate(4).Decimate(2).Decimate(3)

which gives me : 23.98

How can I achive 23.976 fps ?

Thanks.

stax76
7th January 2006, 00:53
0.9.2.0 (2006-01-07)

new: Full controls over x264 turbo switches.
new: Additional x264 CLI switches that don't have GUI controls yet can be added.

@traragorn

You can try post to the AviSynth forum.

LRN
7th January 2006, 04:01
Here's high-quality audio profile, "Nero 5.1ch HE-AAC 192 KBit/s"

Output type: AAC-HE
Bitrate: 192
Command Lines: "%application:BeSweet%" -core( -input "%input%" -output "%output%" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d %delay% -hybridgain ) -bsn( -6chnew -aacprofile_he -vbr_normal --codecquality_high )

stax76
7th January 2006, 04:10
@LRN

Thanks, I'll add it.

JarrettH
7th January 2006, 09:39
I'm very impressed. I love the dialogs. so many apps are lacking clarification on options. I like that it downloads those filters too, they can be tricky to find! Is it necessary that I have all the missing apps installed before it lets me continue? I just played with it briefly!:D

LRN
7th January 2006, 13:15
You should install only required apps (i.e. if you encoding with x264, you don't need DivX, XviD etc)

Mr.BeNDER
7th January 2006, 14:19
How can i add the audio MP3 128 VBR Profile ? Thx

stax76
7th January 2006, 14:25
How can i add the audio MP3 128 VBR Profile ? Thx

Create a new audio profile by clicking New in the audio profiles dialog, one of the defaults is exactly what you want.

Mr.BeNDER
7th January 2006, 14:30
Thanks Can you add the last Xvid version, because he spend his time to saiy i don't have the good one ?

stax76
7th January 2006, 15:06
I've added it already so it will be available next release, you can disable the warning and use it anyway meanwhile.

Mr.BeNDER
7th January 2006, 15:29
Thanks for your god job, maybe you could help me again, i want to rip a 21 minutes anime, so i have put in staxrip a size of 178 mo but after the compressability check he put a size of 360 mo and a 2168 bitrate ! How can i fix that ? i want a 178mo video in 640x480 ....

stax76
7th January 2006, 16:18
In StaxRip most settings are located where they logically belong to, comp check is a encoder feature and thus filesize adjustment after the comp check options are in the encoder options.

May I ask why you want exactly 178 MB? Hitting a filesize means making compromises with image size and bitrate and that mean making compromises with quality, XviD quality mode at quant 3 might be a good alternative.

Mr.BeNDER
7th January 2006, 16:21
Well 178mo for a 20 minute video in DVB is a good deal, i have always do like that and all the people i know too.

LRN
7th January 2006, 17:03
After compressibility check StaxRip establishes a link between video bitrate and resolution (video bitrate and filesize is already linked as "filesize = VideoBitrate*MovieLength + AudioBitrate*MovieLength"), showing this as "quality". Quality 100% means, what you won't loose anything (except a small unavoidable quality loss due to recompression). Your goal is to reach quality nearest to 100% (90+ or 110-), because quality more than 100 is not better than 100. If you need EXACTLY 178 Mb filesize, then you can change resolution. If you need one PARTICULAR, exact resolution, then you should change video bitrate (and thus filesize).
I'm DVD-backuper, so i'm restricted to 700 Mb,1400 Mb and 2100 Mb filesizes. Because of it, i can only change resolution, not bitrate.
In your case, you should set resolution to 640, and then decrease (or increase) bitrate until quality reaches 100%

P.S. This is applicable for x264. I did not used XviD in StaxRip, maybe for XviD everything is different.

stax76
7th January 2006, 17:22
Well 178mo for a 20 minute video in DVB is a good deal, i have always do like that and all the people i know too.

That only applies when the compressibility is in the normal range while using quality mode would always be a good deal regardless of the compressibility. Depending on your source compressibility can differ greatly so you got to be careful with such calculations.

kudraw
7th January 2006, 18:03
Hi! I've a problem with StaxRip... simply it doesn't start :( I've Windows XP Professional SP2 in Italian Language with the .NET Framework 2.0 installed... maybe the problem is the language?

Sorry for my english.

:thanks:

Mr.BeNDER
7th January 2006, 18:05
so what i must do ?

stax76
7th January 2006, 18:12
Hi! I've a problem with StaxRip... simply it doesn't start :( I've Windows XP Professional SP2 in Italian Language with the .NET Framework 2.0 installed... maybe the problem is the language?

Sorry for my english.

:thanks:

In the main menu select Help/Send Bug Report.

edit: OK, this is my default answer and pretty stupid in that case, sorry but I don't know a possible reason.

so what i must do ?

Maybe you should give quality mode a try, in the XviD encoder options dialog check Quality Mode and in the XviD configuration dialog load defaults and change Quantizer to 3.

swaaye
8th January 2006, 00:06
I've been using VBR exclusively and it's working flawlessly, even in my standalone DVP642.

Reference for LAME settings:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124

Instead of abr 128, you could try --preset fast medium. I use --preset fast standard almost exclusively and it's very effective at picking bitrates depending on audio complexity. In TV shows I usually end up with ~150kbps. Nice thing about VBR is the codec can use a wider spread of bitrates and you will get better quality.

Recommendation for Hybrid IVTC'ing = TIVTC. For deinterlacing, check out the amazing TDEINT/EEDI2 combo. http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/

Stax, btw, StaxRip is quite amazing. It's made me 180 rips now. A+.

chipzoller
8th January 2006, 03:32
Stax,
is there some way to prevent a second audio track being automatically added in the encode window? Most of my encodes just call for one audio track...perhaps you could put a button beside the audio track box to display a second?

stax76
8th January 2006, 12:27
@swaaye

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

is there some way to prevent a second audio track being automatically added in the encode window? Most of my encodes just call for one audio track...perhaps you could put a button beside the audio track box to display a second?

You could try making a profile removing all input extensions. Only files get picked up that match to the input extensions ;), I should make no second audio track the default I guess.

edit: make a dummy extension as input like nothanks

Gehenna
8th January 2006, 12:39
Thanks for your god job, maybe you could help me again, i want to rip a 21 minutes anime, so i have put in staxrip a size of 178 mo but after the compressability check he put a size of 360 mo and a 2168 bitrate ! How can i fix that ? i want a 178mo video in 640x480 ....

If you don`t want Staxrip to Auto-Adjust the Size & Birate, just de-select `Auto adjust file size` which can be found in the Encoder / Options on the main screen,then save it as your default project,that way Stax Rip will never adjust the filesize & Bitrate.

stax76
8th January 2006, 20:14
@kudraw

Can you please try version 0917 and if it works send a bug report (Help/Send Bug Report)?

chipzoller
9th January 2006, 00:54
You could try making a profile removing all input extensions. Only files get picked up that match to the input extensions , I should make no second audio track the default I guess.

Yeah, I think I speak for most people when I say the majority of rips contain only a single audio track.

Man, this program is really coming along nicely. I've made many good rips with it so far! Great job there. We all appreciate your hard work! Keep it up!

ricardo.santos
9th January 2006, 01:20
Yeah, I think I speak for most people when I say the majority of rips contain only a single audio track.

Chiplozer, lets see..... profile...... Georgia......Usa!!!

StaxRip i think its fine the way it is.

"We" EUROPEANS like to backup with 2 audio tracks, for example the dvd HARRY POTTER:

available here with english and portuguese audio tracks, what we do is backup the dvd with english and portuguese audio

portuguese for the little ones that cant read the subs fast enough and english for us grown ups that understand english and like to watch it with the original soundtrack.

Ricardo

stax76
9th January 2006, 02:04
Thinking about it the defaults make no sense at all because I don't think too many do two tracks in AVI! I'll try to setup some polls on the website.

ricardo.santos
9th January 2006, 02:15
AutoGk started out as having 1audio track by default later on he changed it to 2 audio tracks on the main menu.

but its your program.......

chipzoller
9th January 2006, 05:09
I don't suggest that the ability to add a second audio track should be removed, but I don't think it should be "enabled" by default.

LRN
9th January 2006, 10:00
Hello again! I got that muxing bug again. I ripped "War of the Worlds" to 1400 mb mp4:

---------- Audio Encoding ----------

Encoding Type: Command Line Audio Profile
Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain ) -bsn( -6chnew -aacprofile_he -vbr_normal --codecquality_high )

---------- Audio Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 6:45:30
End time: 7:35:03
Duration: 00:49:32
Speed: 56 fps
Size: 150,1 MB
Bitrate: 187,73 KBit/s
Video Bitrate: 1365 -> 1369

---------- Audio Encoding ----------

Encoding Type: Command Line Audio Profile
Command Line: "D:\stax\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T02 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T02 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4" ) -azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain ) -bsn( -6chnew -aacprofile_he -vbr_normal --codecquality_high )

---------- Audio Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 7:35:03
End time: 8:23:33
Duration: 00:48:30
Speed: 58 fps
Size: 150,4 MB
Bitrate: 188,17 KBit/s
Video Bitrate: 1369 -> 1373

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding ----------

Arguments: --pass 1 --bitrate 1373 --stats "D:\wow\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1.stats" --bframes 3 --progress --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --output NUL "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.avs"

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 8:23:33
End time: 11:47:49
Duration: 03:24:15
Speed: 14 fps

---------- Second Pass Encoding ----------

Arguments: --pass 2 --bitrate 1373 --stats "D:\wow\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1.stats" --ref 3 --bframes 3 --analyse p4x4,i4x4,p8x8,b8x8 --subme 6 --mixed-refs --progress --no-psnr --output "D:\wow\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264" "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.avs"

---------- Second Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 11:47:49
End time: 5:32:29
Duration: 17:44:39
Speed: 3 fps

---------- Muxing ----------

Muxer Type: MP4Box Muxer
Arguments: -fps 25.00 -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=rus" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T02 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_0.English.srt:lang=eng:name=English" -chap "D:\wow\WAR OF WORLD\Temporary Files\chapters.txt" -new "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.mp4"

---------- Muxing Statistics ----------

Start time: 5:32:32
End time: 5:37:36
Duration: 00:05:04
Speed: 550 fps

Everything is fine but video quality. I decided to recompress this movie with slightly stronger deblocking and more features. Again, i used mp4-output from previous rip, so i don't have to encode autio again :) This time i remembered to choose "Mux AAC" profile ;)

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding ----------

Arguments: --pass 1 --bitrate 1373 --stats "D:\wow\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1.stats" --keyint 300 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --progress --no-psnr --subme 1 --analyse none --me dia --output NUL "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.avs"

---------- x264 Single/First Pass Encoding Statistics ----------

Start time: 6:12:58
End time: 9:54:15
Duration: 03:41:16
Speed: 13 fps

---------- Second Pass Encoding ----------

Arguments: --pass 2 --bitrate 1373 --stats "D:\wow\Temporary Files\VTS_02_1.stats" --keyint 300 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --analyse p4x4,i4x4,p8x8,b8x8 --8x8dct --subme 6 --trellis 1 --mixed-refs --progress --no-psnr --output "D:\wow\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264" "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.avs"

Start time: 9:54:15
End time: 9:36:14
Duration: 23:41:59
Speed: 2 fps

Muxer Type: MP4Box Muxer
Arguments: -fps 25.00 -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1_EncoderOutput.264" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=rus" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_1 T02 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng" -add "D:\wow\VTS_02_0.English.srt:lang=eng:name=English" -chap "D:\wow\Temporary Files\chapters.txt" -new "D:\wow\VTS_02_1.mp4"

Start time: 9:36:15
End time: 9:42:38
Duration: 00:06:23
Speed: 437 fps

It produced 1220 Mb mp4. Video quality is better this time...but that the hell with size? I checked - both audio tracks is there, and subtitles too. And .264 + mp4 + mp4 = 1400 Mb (.264 = 1097 Mb and both mp4 = 150 Mb). I can't get it...Ah! There it is...movie hungs up at 1:34:30 (whole length is 1:51:46). Now i'm sure - it's MP4box flaw.

chipzoller, for me it's default, what i mux 2 audio tracks. I wish i could mux more! (for example, 2 languages and english director's comments)

Stax, i suggest you to change muxing to be separate step, something like "Click on the next button to mux everything to one file".

stax76
9th January 2006, 10:46
Stax, i suggest you to change muxing to be separate step, something like "Click on the next button to mux everything to one file".

You can use the encoder of type Null Encoder to just remux the project but if it's a MP4Box bug that won't help much.

LRN
9th January 2006, 13:59
If StaxRip can be used as StaxMux - then you should add profile "No encoding (Mux only)". :)

stax76
9th January 2006, 14:42
@LRN

It's not really good as general muxer unless you know what pattern the encoder users for the output filename so it should just be used to remux a already encoded project.

I can't add it to the profiles as it would appear in the main menu and anything other than basic features in the main dialog would be confusing novice users. It's very easy to create such a profile, you just have to open the profiles dialog, click New and select No Encoding.

@ricardo.santos

Most popular might still be avi with single track, DVX/StaxRip had always many users that capture. Of cource mkv, mp4 and divx gain popularity, clarification would only bring a poll.

stax76
9th January 2006, 20:23
0.9.2.1 (2006-01-09)

update: XviD 1.1.0
fix: Fixed bug happening while StaxRip starts.

Morte66
9th January 2006, 20:31
Will StaxRip let me backup a 720x576 file without resizing? It seems determined that I should resize to 720x544 or 720x400 (according to the 16:9 flag), even if I disable auto-resizing and remove the resize filter from the chain. I get a "Please use the resize slider in order to fix the aspect ratio error" and then a "The current assistant instruction or warning cannot be skipped" if I try to ignore it.

I may be missing something very obvious (in which case sorry for taking your time), but I just can't seem to get around this. I'm using v0.9.2.0

[I don't want to introduce an extra resize (and quality drop) into the encode/playback chain. I want to just re-encode the original set of pixels, and sort out the aspect ratio in a single resize to 1600xNNN when I playback on my monitor.]

stax76
9th January 2006, 20:44
If you want to encode anamorphic, that is really not very popular so I wouldn't be surprised if StaxRip ain't really perfect or not even working for what you want to achieve. This thing has highest priority for me so any help regarding anamorphic encoding is much appreciated. I assume you want signal PAR/DAR to the codec or muxer or both, can you please elaborate. It's hard to find good information about the topic, maybe that's the reason why it's not very popular. I'll take a look at the assistant issue.

Morte66
9th January 2006, 21:09
If you want to encode anamorphic, that is really not very popular

True, but I think it darned well ought to be. ;)

[The first time I tried AGK/Xvid for a DVD backup, it gave worse results than DVD Shrink because it decided to throw 40% of the pixels away before encoding. Since I RTFMd and changed the options, it has served me well.]

This thing has highest priority for me so any help regarding anamorphic encoding is much appreciated. I assume you want signal PAR/DAR to the codec or muxer or both, can you please elaborate.

I've no idea about coding video software, I'm afraid. If you need any help with large relational databases, let me know. :)

You can manually tell any media player worth bothering with (and many TVs) to "take this file and resize it to 4:3/16:9/etc", so if I can make an original pixels backup I know I can play it back properly. But a signalling option would certainly be nice, even if it's never going to work in AVI.

I guess I would ideally like to encode both DAR (for display) and SAR (which might be useful to other video tools).

chipzoller
9th January 2006, 21:48
Stax, the new patch for the DivX codec...will the version change be incorporated into StaxRip so it doesn't give the "wrong version" warning?

stax76
9th January 2006, 21:51
According to what I was reading here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=763686#post763686) signaling using AVI works. What StaxRip currently does is signal to mkvmerge and MP4Box in case no resize filter is used, that is documented in the help of the muxer dialogs. Any signaling to codecs and more control over that features can only be added if users make a detailed feature request, telling how they would config the tools manually, what players they use, what dshow filters, what settings, what tools are involved, the more information I have the easier it will be to add it. I'll fix the assistant problem, that problem is new since I've just recently restricted the assistant since some users skipped crucial instructions that caused serious problems and even crashes so skipping something considered as crucial is no longer possible.

Stax, the new patch for the DivX codec...will the version change be incorporated into StaxRip so it doesn't give the "wrong version" warning?

No if it's not a final release, my current design allows only to support one version anyway and since this area is complex I try to avoid making changes here to not risk new bugs. You could disable the warning easily but please tell nobody that I've recommend it. ;)

chipzoller
9th January 2006, 22:02
Oh, that's right...it's a beta.

Well on to the next question....

Why is it that I have to use the deinterlace filter for most every encode, even ones that are progressive sources shot on film? I never remember having this problem with GK, but last night I did an encode of West Side Story which I know is progressive, and when looking at the finished product, the source still looks interlaced, or interlaced ever few frames.

Am I just missing something painfully obvious?

Also, if a source is detected to be interlaced, is the "Field deinterlace" filter automatically enabled?

stax76
9th January 2006, 22:14
Why is it that I have to use the deinterlace filter for most every encode, even ones that are progressive sources shot on film? I never remember having this problem with GK, but last night I did an encode of West Side Story which I know is progressive, and when looking at the finished product, the source still looks interlaced, or interlaced ever few frames.

Am I just missing something painfully obvious?

Also, if a source is detected to be interlaced, is the "Field deinterlace" filter automatically enabled?

The filters are applied exactly as configured as shown in the log file, the script should also be visible in the GK log file so in doubt you could compare your StaxRip and GK settings but both applications give full control about all settings and leave all settings up to be made by the user.

travisbell
10th January 2006, 00:40
I am having some issues getting x264 to encode mkv's all of sudden...

Encoder: x264
Muxer: MKV

And it is spitting back an error "Invalid Muxer, The Muxer doesn't support the Encoder output format."

I know this is possible... can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

stax76
10th January 2006, 01:05
mkv muxer don't support raw input, I don't know if it can work but it's not enabled in StaxRip, you got to choose another output format in the x264 config dialog, either mkv or mp4, both work but I don't know what is better. You can check what input and output formats are supported btw. in the profiles dialog clicking Info.

travisbell
10th January 2006, 01:10
mkv muxer don't support raw input, I don't know if it can work but it's not enabled in StaxRip, you got to choose another output format in the x264 config dialog, either mkv or mp4, both work but I don't know what is better. You can check what input and output formats are supported btw. in the profiles dialog clicking Info.

Ahhhhhhhh! Got it. I didn't know you had to. Must have been using the older version of Stax before you implemented the new x264 stuff.

Thanks!

ricardo.santos
10th January 2006, 01:19
Hi everyone.

just noticed that with this new version StaxRip starts up faster, usually would take 12 to 14 seconds, now it takes 8 to 10 seconds.

Ricardo

travisbell
10th January 2006, 01:32
Hey guys, could someone help explain to me why when using IVTC and x264 it doesn't go down to 23.976 fps like XviDs do...? All of my IVTC & x264 encodes are 23.98. Is that normal or ok?

I am just checking here...

swaaye
11th January 2006, 02:18
Is there any reason Xvid 1.1 final would not work with Staxrip? I'm getting strange corruption in rips, showing up as random, well, corruption on some frames. Black blockiness for a moment. When played on my DVP642 I get frames that flash up for a split second on some scene changes. Very odd.

BigDid
11th January 2006, 02:35
Is there any reason Xvid 1.1 final would not work with Staxrip?
0.9.2.1 (2006-01-09)
* update: XviD 1.1.0
* fix: Fixed bug happening while StaxRip starts.
above in this page: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=765127#post765127

1.1.0 = 1.1 final :D

Did

stax76
11th January 2006, 18:04
@swaaye

It should be save since StaxRip changes only 3 settings (bitrate, changelog and filesize) dynamically. After installing a new codec build you should also create a new profile in StaxRip. There might still be traps so if too many people have problems I have to add more verifications.

stax76
11th January 2006, 23:09
0.9.2.2 (2006-01-11)

new: AVI demuxing using VirtualDubMod supporting, mp3, ac3 and wav. Removed AVI2WAV.
new: Preparers can be enabled/disabled and other minor changes regarding preparers.
new: Addition language info for audio tracks like directors comments is written to the filename.
change: TreeView dialog used to replace, insert and add filters is now resizable and saves the window size.
change: x264 comp check uses now --crf 18 instead of --qp 18.
change: Audio files containing the name of the source file like the ones demuxed by DGIndex are now more reliable being automatically picked up.
fix: x264 Single Pass - Quality was broke since --qrf instead of --crf was used.

weaver4
12th January 2006, 00:36
I have noticed that the video quality for StaxRip is lower than the quality of same movie made with AVI.NET and Dr DivX 2.0. Here is the same data for the same movie coded four different ways: AVI.NET - Divx; Dr Divx 2.0 - Divx; StaxRip - Divx; StaxRip - XviD.

=============================
AVI.NET - DivX
Filesize: 1073Mbytes
Bitrate: 1099kb/s
FPS: 23.976
Qf: 0.263 bits/pixel
xy: 640x272

Dr Divx 2.0 - DivX
Filesize: 1079Mbytes
Bitrate: 1104kb/s
FPS: 23.976
Qf: 0.227 bits/pixel
xy: 704x288

StaxRip (DivX)
Filesize: 1254Mbytes
Bitrate: 1270kb/s
FPS: 29.970
Qf: 0.214 bits/pixel
xy: 688x288

StaxRip (XviD)
Filesize: 1254Mbytes
Bitrate: 1106kb/s
FPS: 29.970
Qf: 0.186 bits/pixel
xy: 688x288
==========================

Notice that the Quality Factor is much lower for StaxRip codes even though the bitrate is higher or the same as other approches. I beleive this is because the FrameRate for StaxRip is 29.970 but the frame rate for AVI.NET and Dr DivX 2.0 is 23.976.

But I can't find a way to set the FR in StaxRip to make it identical to AVI.NET or DR Divx.

Am I missing something? How can I get comparable results using StaxRip?

StaxUser
12th January 2006, 02:21
Hey Stax,

First I'd like to say thanks for the great tool.

Just wanted to echo an earlier comment about the resizing. I have been processing 720x480 sources from MPEG2 to XVid, with the intention of keeping the resolution the same but getting much better compression. The UI as of version 9.1.9 doesnt allow this (doesn't like 720x480 aspect ratio). I've gotten around it for now since I have VS.NET so I changed the code a little.

Thanks again

stax76
12th January 2006, 17:31
@weaver4

There is a IVTC filter but I don't have much clue about NTSC.

@StaxUser

Should be solved in the latest release.

dimzon
12th January 2006, 18:05
@stax
WOW! I take look @ StaxRip at first time - it's amaizing(I take look @ source code too). Congratulations!

JoeBG
12th January 2006, 18:54
@stax
WOW! I take look @ StaxRip at first time - it's amaizing(I take look @ source code too). Congratulations!

It´s the most promissing programm for mpeg4. The first stable version needs Profiles for the mass of users:
- mpeg4 part 2 with AC3 ( for the ones with SA´s) -> mkv
- mpeg4 part 2 with AAC ( for Nero Digital users Standart Profile) -> mp4
- mpeg 4 part 10 with AAC (for Xoro 700 users or PC users) -> mp4

and something between these profiles.

LRN
12th January 2006, 19:38
Can you implement pause/resume, at least for video encoding process?

stax76
12th January 2006, 19:55
@dimzon

thanks

The first stable version needs Profiles for the mass of users

I've plans for profiles but it takes some effort.

Can you implement pause/resume, at least for video encoding process?

I don't know how x264 cli can be paused.

LRN
12th January 2006, 20:19
Well, it's not necessary to use x264 cli. You can just pause/resume x264.exe main thread with SuspendThread() and ResumeThread().

weaver4
12th January 2006, 20:39
@weaver4

There is a IVTC filter but I don't have much clue about NTSC.

I don't understand your answer. Are you saying that you don't understand the problem or that you don't know what to do to fix it?

weaver4
12th January 2006, 20:57
After some investigation I found that if you set DGIndex to "Force Film" it will set the framerate to 23.976.

Can you add this as an option?

I think it is: -FO=1

Thanks,

stax76
12th January 2006, 20:58
@LRN

I'll check it.

@weaver4

Right-click on the filter of category Deint and select IVTC.

edit:

After some investigation I found that if you set DGIndex to "Force Film" it will set the framerate to 23.976.

That's only good under certain circumstances.

Can you add this as an option?

Only if somebody gives me good hints about how and why to add it and if I understand it, it's a difficult topic.

swaaye
12th January 2006, 21:20
you can only force film if there is no video in the source. If it's a hybrid, with video and film, you'll screw it all up. Hybrids make life tough. Weaver you need to go read thru some guides, like the Gordian Knot guides here on Doom9. Also google for the DGIndex and DGDecode manuals.

LRN
12th January 2006, 23:23
@LRN
I'll check it.
While doing this is very easy (i wrote external pause/resume application in 30 minutes), i can provide you code example, if you want :)

stax76
12th January 2006, 23:35
That would be great.

LRN
12th January 2006, 23:38
http://lrn.no-ip.info/other/seek_and_suspend_v1.0.7z
I hope you understand Delphi :)

weaver4
13th January 2006, 16:21
Right-click on the filter of category Deint and select IVTC.

That worked! Picture quality is much better and it is running at 23.97 FPS. I am suprised that this issue did not come up before now. Wondering why I was the first person to mention it. It seemed to me that if you were running 1100Mbps for video and getting a bad video that people would wonder why.

stax76
13th January 2006, 23:31
@LRN

I hardly know Delphi but if it uses Win32 it's a help, thanks.

@weaver4

As I'm constantly trying to make StaxRip easier I'll try to add some automation regarding the issue.

0.9.2.3 (2006-01-13)

new: Workaround for DivXMux upper case file extension bug.
new: If a setting has new default values StaxRip asks if the setting should be updated to new defaults or if the customizations (if any) should be kept. As example if better audio profiles are added StaxRip will ask if audio profiles should be updated.
new: Video profile defaults.
new: Audio profile defaults.
change: More robust XviD and DivX support.
change: More meaningful assistant warnings regarding incompatibilities between encoder, muxer and audio profile.

LRN
14th January 2006, 00:16
0.9.2.3 doesn't launch DGIndex when i select several VOB files. It uses first of these files as Source.

swaaye
14th January 2006, 00:18
weaver4,

cuz most of us knew that IVTC was needed for these sources. Part of this encoding nonsense is reading up on guides and how the sources need to be converted. I suggested some reading for you. You can not IVTC a hybrid (film+video) without some more intelligent methods. It will end up with jerky sequences.

Stax,
The automated crop is skewing the aspect on my 4:3 TNG episodes. I'm still using autocrop in the filter list as a result. You should try setting autocrop to leave the source aspect as is, if you are trying to set it so a specific ratio. -1 is the setting for the property I'm thinking of.... I tried 4.0/3.0 a while back, like the readme for autocrop says, and it ended up like 5:4...very strange.

stax76
14th January 2006, 01:01
0.9.2.3 doesn't launch DGIndex when i select several VOB files. It uses first of these files as Source.

I don't remember changes in that area since last version, works here. If you can't get it to work please send a bug report.

@swaaye

I never had auto crop problems with any source, maybe you can upload a sample to some file hosting service. Are you really sure it's a bug, I thought all the AR stuff works quite well.

berrinam
14th January 2006, 01:20
Only if somebody gives me good hints about how and why to add it and if I understand it, it's a difficult topic.
MeGUI manages Force Filming (not to be confused with the Automatic Deinterlacing which I added recently). It does an automated version of what the GK guide recommends: if the Film % reported by DGIndex is higher than the threshold in the settings (the default, 95%, is what I think most people use), then use force film, otherwise, don't.

This can all be done AFTER you have indexed the file. The operation goes like this:
1. Index with whatever settings you normally use.
2. Read in the .d2v file. The last line will be something like this:
FINISHED 0.00% FILM or whatever, according to the source. Take this percentage as your value, compare it to your threshold. If it is less, do nothing. If it is more, then do step 3.
3. Modify the following two lines (near the beginning) of the .d2v file:
Field_Operation=0
Frame_Rate=?????
and turn them into
Field_Operation=0
Frame_Rate=23976
Now you have a .d2v file with force film enabled.

LRN
14th January 2006, 01:23
Can't reproduce. Maybe it's just me? :)
Also...
What does --bime option for x264 do, and where is gui-switch for this option?
Also...
While searching for pause/resume solution for x264, i found some interesting thread here, on Doom9 - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94162 . There's encoder app with stop/resume feature! This is musthave for any AVC encoder, since AVC encoding is relatively slow.

stax76
14th January 2006, 02:11
@berrinam

Awesome, thanks, a while a go I bought 2 NTSC disc for testing purpose, crappy movies because the selection for NTSC disc is not really big here at eBay, it's time to attack the issue now. I knew there is the percentage value in the d2v file but I was wondering if DGIndex had to run a second pass depending on the outcome, now it's clear how it works.

Can't reproduce. Maybe it's just me?

Maybe I can spot it with the diagnostic files if you send some.

What does --bime option for x264 do

I'm not really using x264, there is no control but there is a box for additional switches. Either I have to support every possible features (probably more than 100) like MeGUI which is a huge task or I have to set a limit somewhere and that's pretty much reached. If there are features frequently requested I have to consider them of course.

While searching for pause/resume solution for x264, i found some interesting thread here, on Doom9 - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94162 . There's encoder app with stop/resume feature! This is musthave for any AVC encoder, since AVC encoding is relatively slow.

Thanks, that kind of info get pasted on my ever growing to do list instantly. I guess I can be lucky being through in 2-3 hours with a movie using XviD quality mode ;)

LRN
14th January 2006, 03:17
H-m-m-m..I think you should just redesign "CLI" section (maybe implement "Add to 2nd pass" and even "Add to 3nd pass"), so anyone could modify commandline to use switches unsupported in GUI. At this moment it is used only for "fast first pass", since "Add to all passes" applys after "Remove from first pass".

stax76
14th January 2006, 03:40
@LRN

I think there are 3 issues:

1. bime gets removed but was never added before.

2. Add/remove first actually is all but last, I just named it first because I thought it's easier to understand but it's actually confusing. I'll rename this to 'preceding passes'.

3. Add all should be added before the add/remove is done because that's how it works with the gui options so the order should be:

1. add to all
2. remove from preceding passes
3. add to preceding passes

stax76
14th January 2006, 15:52
@LRN

I hope this is better: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

There was also a bug, the last switch of the remove switches wasn't removed.

Rogi
14th January 2006, 21:04
First of all thanks for excellent tool, but think I found some error in your program.
When turn on deblocking filter in x264 GUI and then check CLI there is nothing showed ( for example --filter -2,-2), but when turn off deblocking filter in GUI then actually filter is showed in CLI.
Hope you will understand what i mean because my english is not so good.

stax76
14th January 2006, 21:20
Thanks, here is a hotfix: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

Rogi
14th January 2006, 22:47
Ok, now filter is showed in CLI but there is also instruction --nf which should not have been there, --nf have to be in CLI when deblocking filter is unchecked because that simple means "no filter".
Just one thing, use comma instead colon (-2,-2) in CLI.
Hope that will help you.

mulrich
14th January 2006, 22:59
I have an insane idea for a feature: the ability to convert flash movies to regular movies.

It's not a demand, but merely an idea, so I won't lie sleepless if you can't do it. :)

stax76
14th January 2006, 23:16
I've fixed the bug with the --nf switch and changed it to comma like in MeGUI, I guess that works but I understand the docs different:

-f, --filter <alpha:beta> Loop filter AlphaC0 and Beta parameters [0:0]

Here is the hotfix: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

I have an insane idea for a feature: the ability to convert flash movies to regular movies.

It's not a demand, but merely an idea, so I won't lie sleepless if you can't do it.

If there is a DirectShow filter or AviSynth filter or command line application for the transcoding than you can configure StaxRip to handle Flash source.

weaver4
15th January 2006, 01:47
weaver4,

cuz most of us knew that IVTC was needed for these sources. Part of this encoding nonsense is reading up on guides and how the sources need to be converted. I suggested some reading for you. You can not IVTC a hybrid (film+video) without some more intelligent methods. It will end up with jerky sequences.

The other tools that I use Avi.net, AutoGk, Dr1, Dr2, MPEG Mediator did not require that you set up IVTC. And since StaxRip is intended to be tool that is a simple to use as these I did not think there was anything extra I needed to know. I did look at gknot guide to learn about this. Interesting reading.

Rogi
15th January 2006, 11:58
I have done several encodings and can confirm now deblocking filter works fine.
Thanx for quick fix.

stax76
15th January 2006, 14:42
0.9.2.4 (2006-01-15)

fix: fixed two x264 bugs.
new: Added automatic aspect ratio signaling, it is automatically used for XviD and x264 (not supported by DivX) whenever no resize filter is used. Muxer aspect ratio signaling was removed.

Aladdin
15th January 2006, 15:34
It's getting better and better. The 'Ask before update profile' feature is an improvement, but I still don't like it when it overwrites my custom profiles when I give the ok to update. Would it be possible to update the default profiles without actually overwriting (or removing) any custom profiles that might have been added by the user?

stax76
15th January 2006, 15:59
It's getting better and better. The 'Ask before update profile' feature is an improvement, but I still don't like it when it overwrites my custom profiles when I give the ok to update. Would it be possible to update the default profiles without actually overwriting (or removing) any custom profiles that might have been added by the user?

It would be possible but too many features have also drawbacks. In case of profiles that use the generic profiles dialog such a feature is not really needed because when you click New in the profiles dialog you have all the factory defaults always available. Maybe you can elaborate a little bit more?

Aladdin
15th January 2006, 21:37
I mean when upgrading to a new version you now get dialogs asking if the profiles (and other settings) should be updated. In most cases, I think people want to update the default profiles to the new versions. But I also think quite a lot of people make custom profiles and the way it is implemented now, those custom profiles are lost when you upgrade. Each time I upgraded to a new version I had to recreate my custom profiles for video, audio and the filter profile, because they were removed.

stax76
15th January 2006, 21:41

A user sent a bug report about it and here is the story: Problem was a setting become incompatible, normally a force a update while developing and certainly did so but after that I changed the way setting versioning is done because of the new feature that asks if a setting should be updated. Now that I think about it I should have forced to reset everything because the older the version is that was used before the higher the chance something like this happens because all version tags are gone as I use a complete new method for versioning.

here is a build that forces preparers to be reseted: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip

I mean when upgrading to a new version you now get dialogs asking if the profiles (and other settings) should be updated. In most cases, I think people want to update the default profiles to the new versions. But I also think quite a lot of people make custom profiles and the way it is implemented now, those custom profiles are lost when you upgrade. Each time I upgraded to a new version I had to recreate my custom profiles for video, audio and the filter profile, because they were removed.

I don't think merging all old profiles with all new profiles wouldn't be that great either and even if you don't update you still can preview and use what's changed and new in the profiles dialog. Create a new profile based on the factory defaults, preview it with edit, accept it with 'OK' or cancel changing anything.

ch@@boom
15th January 2006, 21:43
good app
starting my first experiences

quick q: will you support seperate credits encoding .. or is it already possible?

thx

stax76
15th January 2006, 22:03
will you support seperate credits encoding

I'm not much convinced of such a feature but I new sooner or later somebody is gonna ask ;). Would it be too much of a pain to setup a credits zone manually in the codec configuration?

LRN
16th January 2006, 00:24
Just ripped another movie...There's slight -300 ~ -500 ms delay on both audio streams...I wasted whole 30 mins trying to sync them, until i realized, what "Delay" in "Audio mix options" in "AAC-HE - Add existing profile" doesn't works :). Commandline looks ok, but delay isn't applied :-/
cmdl is something like Arguments: -fps 25.00 -add "file.264" -add "aud1.mp4:lang=rus:delay=50000" -add "aud2.mp4:lang=eng:delay=50000" -chap "chapters.txt" -new "VTS_05_0.mp4"
Tried raw mp4box mp4box.exe file.mp4 -delay 2=50000 -delay 5=50000
Doesn't works (i set delay so huge for it to become really noticeable - but i noticed no changes). As i understand, now delay is only applied in audio encoder, not in muxer? I.e. if i want to delay audio, i should re-encode it?
Also...
chapters.txt is common OGM chapter file with chapter names in CP-1251. After muxing chapter names is not visible (using Media Player Classic). What encoding i should use!?!? UTF-8 doesn't works.
In Nero Recode chapter names in CP-1251 worked fine. Looks like MP4Box doesn't support this feature well enougth :(

stax76
16th January 2006, 00:50
Delay is in BeSweet settings because some players might not handle container delay properly, might this be your problem? Did you try other players and DirectShow filters, VLC, MPC and all that stuff. A StaxRip muxer is smart enough however to check if the audio profile has handled the delay and if it wasn't handled it will handle it. A CLI profile will check if a delay macro is used and a mux profile will always assume the delay wasn't handled if I recall correctly and if there are no bugs.

Regarding chapters, I think MP4Box cannot use DVD Decrypter created chapters because of different encoding. Bond wrote something about it but I don't recall what encoding it was. I work around probably about more than 100 limitations and bugs of every other application so I might as well workaround this, if you have some implementation hints, would be great of course.

LRN
16th January 2006, 01:12
I use MPC. With two differend decoders - CoreAVC and ffdshow. Haali media splitter for mp4 handling.

I use Chapter-X-tractor for chapter x-traction :)
And it outputs chapter-file in default local codepage.

stax76
16th January 2006, 01:33
I use MPC. With two differend decoders - CoreAVC and ffdshow. Haali media splitter for mp4 handling.

Maybe you should try then let BeSweet handle delay as it's default in StaxRip or did you just that? You can also try VLC as non DirectShow alternative to check if you get different results as opposed to your DShow solution.

And it outputs chapter-file in default local codepage.

ANSII using local codepage is what's used by far most if I understand this right. Would have been great if MP4Box could handle this...

LRN
16th January 2006, 03:16
Re-encoded audio with delay. Fine. But it took nearly 2 hours, that's bad...I hoped everythig would be almost autimatic...

Regarding chapters - here's post you mentioned http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=735047#post735047

Remuxed everything with YAMB. Now, there's NO chapters at all :) (in previous cases they WERE, but without names, only with timestamps)

bomsom
16th January 2006, 04:11
Hi There! I'm kinda new to encoding and I'm a little bit lost here...

Is there a way to put selectable subtitles into the .mp4 container?

There's an option on the menu View>Project Options>Automation that says "Auto subtitle selection" and an option to add languages. I selected the languages I wanted but in the end I got no subtitles at all.

Do I have to add forced subtitles for it to work?? And doing so, will it always be displayed during the movie or can I turn it off?

By the way, I converted the movie using x264(exact file size profile) and Staxrip version 0.9.2.3, and I use VLC to play it.

Stax, keep the good job man! All this enconding process is very tricky, but you're making it easier!! I was using Nero Recode (AVC) because of it's friendly interface and encoding in a few steps, but I don't want to install all those apps included in the pack that I will not use just to have the Recode.

stax76
16th January 2006, 08:09
Re-encoded audio with delay. Fine. But it took nearly 2 hours, that's bad...I hoped everythig would be almost autimatic...

Well, firstly you didn't use the defaults which encode with delay and secondly it's not the fault of StaxRip that container delay don't work but rather a bug or limitation in either the muxer or the player and that's exactly the reason why the delay is handled by BeSweet in the first place.

No and that's exactly the reason why I don't use it and don't recommend to use it, happily there is mkv and divx.

There's an option on the menu View>Project Options>Automation that says "Auto subtitle selection" and an option to add languages. I selected the languages I wanted but in the end I got no subtitles at all.

That's only the auto selection, first you got to demux the subtitles as described in the DVD guide of the help and then you got to select the subtitle s in the muxer (container) options because the muxer is the application that puts all streams together into the target file.

LRN
16th January 2006, 13:11
Well, firstly you didn't use the defaults which encode with delay
And what defaults exactly i should use? I thought delays are detected by DGIndex and automatically added to audio profile?
Well, anyway i suspect, what this is my mistake. I added all vobs starting from VTS_05_0. There's no audio in VTS_05_0.vob, only 0.6 secs of video. This is why audio is delayed, i think

Also...
After muxing with YAMB i noticed, what in MPC in Navigate->Audio Language both tracks is "Unknown" ("Unknown 0" and "Unknown 1") and in splitter both tracks is "[Undetermined]".
After StaxRip muxing, there's NO any text in Navigate->Audio Language (only check-marks showing wich stream is selected), but in splitter there's [English] and [Russian] audio streams.

No and that's exactly the reason why I don't use it and don't recommend to use it, happily there is mkv and divx.
Errrr....And what's about srt muxing? It is not "selectable subtitles"?

stax76
16th January 2006, 13:35
And what defaults exactly i should use? I thought delays are detected by DGIndex and automatically added to audio profile?

That's how it's supposed to work, in BeSweet it is handled with -ota( d %delay% ) and in any audio profile configuration regardless of type you can see and edit the value StaxRip readed from the filename.

Also...
After muxing with YAMB i noticed, what in MPC in Navigate->Audio Language both tracks is "Unknown" ("Unknown 0" and "Unknown 1") and in splitter both tracks is "[Undetermined]".
After StaxRip muxing, there's NO any text in Navigate->Audio Language (only check-marks showing wich stream is selected), but in splitter there's [English] and [Russian] audio streams.

Does it work in VLC?

Errrr....And what's about srt muxing? It is not "selectable subtitles"?

Sorry, I forgot about that.

LRN
16th January 2006, 15:50
In VLC audio streams marked properly (Track N - [langname]) for StaxRip-muxed file
For YAMB-muxed - sorry, i already deleted the movie :)

wiak
16th January 2006, 19:22
it crashes here :(
right after dgindex
version > StaxRip 0.9.2.4

stax76
16th January 2006, 20:01
64 bit system is currently not supported.

LRN
17th January 2006, 00:00
Is there way to reuse first pass statistic? There's no reason to perform first pass again, if i decide to reencode movie with different second pass settings.

stax76
17th January 2006, 00:08
Is there way to reuse first pass statistic? There's no reason to perform first pass again, if i decide to reencode movie with different second pass settings.

You could use VirtualDubMod manually.

LRN
17th January 2006, 01:37
I mean - with StaxRip :)
Allright, here it is:
FEATURE REQUEST: Please-please-please, make some checkbox in codec options, something like "do not perform 1st pass" wich will use .stats file from "Temporary Files" directory.
Are you happy now? :)

stax76
17th January 2006, 18:19
I'm skeptical about that kind of feature, I can add only features that are really important, the scenario where this feature is really important is not obvious, maybe you can explain one.

Sirber
17th January 2006, 18:23
Someone asked me the same thing but I refused. Most codec can do "Fast First Pass" so it's pretty useless and more confusing.

stax76
17th January 2006, 18:35
Someone asked me the same thing but I refused. Most codec can do "Fast First Pass" so it's pretty useless and more confusing.

I refused it for DVX as well and Len0x probably refused it for AutoGK more than once btw.

wiak
17th January 2006, 19:46
64 bit system is currently not supported.
:scared:
64bit and 32bit uses the same .NET
and after all 64bit is the future!
it gives you over 10% in encoding boost

StaxRip runs fine but it CRASHES :(

LRN
17th January 2006, 19:49
It's not useless for x264. Remembder: AVC is much slower than ASP. Even fast first pass takes several hours. For example, my current rip took 07:22 for first pass and will take approximately 22:00 for second pass (it's still in progress, x264 shows eta 02:37, 88% complete). If i decide to reencode this movie (for example, quality is not good enought), this feature will save me whole 7 hours!
Feature itself isn't complex. Just don't perform first pass and assume, what .stats-file already exists in tempdir.

stax76
17th January 2006, 20:38
64bit and 32bit uses the same .NET
and after all 64bit is the future!
it gives you over 10% in encoding boost

StaxRip runs fine but it CRASHES

I don't have such a system to debug it, maybe next Christmas, sorry.

It's not useless for x264. Remembder: AVC is much slower than ASP. Even fast first pass takes several hours. For example, my current rip took 07:22 for first pass and will take approximately 22:00 for second pass (it's still in progress, x264 shows eta 02:37, 88% complete). If i decide to reencode this movie (for example, quality is not good enought), this feature will save me whole 7 hours!
Feature itself isn't complex. Just don't perform first pass and assume, what .stats-file already exists in tempdir.

Encoding a movie 50 hours, sorry but I don't take such scenarios into acount. StaxRip is designed for users who want encoding to be simple, quick and painless. If you can endure 50 hours, you might as well then endure to copy the command line from the log file to the shell which takes you 5 seconds.

Sirber
17th January 2006, 21:44
Encoding a movie 50 hours, sorry but I don't take such scenarios into acount. StaxRip is designed for users who want encoding to be simple, quick and painless. If you can endure 50 hours, you might as well then endure to copy the command line from the log file to the shell which takes you 5 seconds.:goodpost:

Doom9
17th January 2006, 21:52
StaxRip runs fine but it CRASHESQuite a contradiction in itself wouldn't you agree? But since it's open source, I suppose you could compile it on your machine. But if it has any dependencies on Windows components, that might be different on a 64 bit Windows. And then there's the problem that the 64 bits of the current software are rare and often a bit shaky.. not all filters are available, etc. Right now, video encoding and 64 bit should be considered an experimental playfield.

wiak
18th January 2006, 05:24
stax i have another question
can you add a option to download all needed software? automatic? :)
right now i i/we have to go to the tool and click download etc..

stax76
18th January 2006, 17:18
can you add a option to download all needed software?

I'll take a look at it, gets requested quite often.

0.9.2.5 (2006-01-18)

new: Forced Film is automatically applied if NTSC sources are at 95% film.
new: Added setting to launch all applications with minimized window like AutoGK does.
change: Some changes required to reset all settings and projects. It's the first time this was required for StaxRip and hopefully the last time.
change: Improved error handling.

wiak
18th January 2006, 23:28

0.9.2.5 (2006-01-18)
i have now Visual Basic Express, .Net Framework 2.0 (x64)
and can you tell me how to compile it to x64? :)
i can compile to 32bit but not x64 as i dont have to right settings

stax76
18th January 2006, 23:54
I don't know too much about 64 bit stuff and if .NET assemblies have to be recompiled, I would say no. I was reading Integer/int is always Int32 don't matter if it's .NET 32 or 64 bit. Sounds stupid but that's what I was reading. Simply recompiling would much likely not work however because there are probably XP x64 related bugs.

bratao
19th January 2006, 00:33
Maybe change int for int64 ???
i dont have a 64 system too

klicker4546
19th January 2006, 01:01
Stax, I'm really happy about the improvements made to Staxrip! Great tool!

:)

0.9.2.5 (2006-01-18)

Gehenna
19th January 2006, 10:34
Hi Stax,

Will sharktooth`s X264 profiles likely to be intergrated into StaxRip in the very near future ?
I think i remember seeing a thread stating that its on your `To-Do` list.
Thanks

stax76
19th January 2006, 10:46
There are quite a few things left on my to do list but currently I want to step a little bit back from developing and do more testing and if I decide to more developing again it will first and foremost be more basic stuff. Did you try to make some profiles yourself, it's really not too hard.

LRN
20th January 2006, 00:50
I think, i should remind you to look at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101813 for x264 video profiles

wdmalik
20th January 2006, 20:48
I want to request a feature, when I give the input files path the software goes through a quick step though DGINDEX and extracts the info and audio files etc, i want to choose the path where these files are extracted, currently these are extracted to the same folder, unfortunately for me i am mostly short on space in the drives where i placed the ripped files, so if it is possible plz do it, a dialog box asking the files path after input file selection step will do
Thnx in advance :)

stax76
20th January 2006, 21:01
@wdmalik

Using another directory don't fit in my design (see help under Options/Preparer) and also does not fit to one of my main goals with StaxRip which is simplicity having everything in a single directory. Since StaxRip currently is not scriptable or extendable you can't do much other then use DGIndex by hand and then open the created files in staxRip. A little help might be to launch DGIndex from the 'External Applications' dialog or you could customize the main menu to launch DGIndex.

mulrich
21st January 2006, 10:06
Using another directory don't fit in my design (see help under Options/Preparer) and also does not fit to one of my main goals with StaxRip which is simplicity having everything in a single directory. Since StaxRip currently is not scriptable or extendable you can't do much other then use DGIndex by hand and then open the created files in staxRip. A little help might be to launch DGIndex from the 'External Applications' dialog or you could customize the main menu to launch DGIndex.

Then, can it at least delete the temporary files used when it's done using them?

stax76
21st January 2006, 11:39
Then, can it at least delete the temporary files used when it's done using them?

What temporary files?

LRN
21st January 2006, 16:07
ac3, dts, 264, srm, log, txt (chapters), avs, stats

Also...

Start time: 13:04:36
End time: 15:00:46
Duration: 1:56:09
Speed: 2 fps
You should think about date-time comparison, not only time comparison. THIS rip took 25:59:09, not 1:59:09 :)))

Also...There's no info in log for compressibility check. I'm really courious about commandline for it.

Also...
-add "blah:\blah-blah-blah.mp4:lang=bla"
must be
-add "blah:\blah-blah-blah.mp4:name=SomeName:lang=bla"
Maybe because of this there's no labels for these audio tracks in "Navigation" menu in MPC.

dumbas..
21st January 2006, 17:05
Firstly bit neew to this so be gentle!

Staxrip - App looks great and just this thing for startup idiots like me with MP4. Tired of Nero Recode2 Need adventure!

Installed all required apps - forced them so the required ARE there.
Can do Avi to MP4 (!?) oK
DVD to MP4 no good - DGIndex runs to completion.
Then get this error

"Failed to load source"
Help!

stax76
21st January 2006, 18:31
ac3, dts, 264, srm, log, txt (chapters), avs, stats

I consider these as small and medium and also they might still be needed for remuxing if something went wrong. StaxRip supports 20 apps and soon more, I cannot take care of everything so once a rip is done everything has to be cleaned by hand.

You should think about date-time comparison, not only time comparison. THIS rip took 25:59:09, not 1:59:09 ))

Thanks, I think I can change this.

Also...There's no info in log for compressibility check. I'm really courious about commandline for it.

Log is only encoding atm (I should extend it), comp check is same as encoding but using -crf 18

:name is not supported for audio, I don't see how this is useful though if it's requested frequently I might have to add it.

@dumbas

You could use something like ImageShack

dumbas..
21st January 2006, 21:34
@dumbas

You could use something like ImageShack[/QUOTE]

Sorry Staxrip , should have also given more info
Avisynth to blame? But don't see how (DuMb as .... !)

D2V, avs and ac3 files all present. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Files from freshly ripped DVD via DvD_Decrypter. Plays OK from dir. Vob File 998MB.
AVS:
MPEG2Source("C:\Documents and Settings\...\Documents\DVD\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(0,0,-0,-0)
BicubicResize(512,416,0,0.5)

Guidance much appreciated.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/3866/failed9kr.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

stax76
21st January 2006, 21:43
Please send a bug report, in the main menu use 'Help/Send Bug Report'.

Edit: Thanks for sending the bug report, the reason why it don't work is unknown so far. StaxRip checks all possible AviSynth related misconfigurations but didn't find something. The only known reason is moving the d2v file after it was created which breaks things because the d2v file contains absolute path information. Didn't the preview pop up showing a AviSynth error? This showed likely MPEG2Source not found which normally should not happen because StaxRip already checked the configuration is OK. You can of course try to load the plugins manually, right-click the source filter, select edit and add this line on top:

LoadPlugin("C:\MY PROGRAMS\VIDEO\DVD Rebuilder\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")

Normally plugins are auto loaded but this seem to not work on your system for some wicked reason, I got quite a few reports about that but so far nobody found the reason.

rozemab
22nd January 2006, 15:05
Stax,

How I do I know if Staxrip is using my Nero AAC encoder? I noticed in the besweet directory a Nero dll. Is the Nero encoder a function of besweet or something staxrip needs to specify in the cli command?

Looking at the cli (using belight and your logfile) I could not see a difference in the command between FAAC and Nero. In belight it is a user prompt to tell it to use Nero AAC. I could not tell if there was a similar prompt within staxrip.

thanks,

Brian

stax76
22nd January 2006, 15:20
StaxRip uses -bsn for BeSweet and that means always Nero I think so it uses the Nero dll's found in the BeSweet dir so you have to copy your dlls to the BeSweet dir. IIRC FAAC is some other not so popular encoder, I don't think it can be used with the same command line but who knows. I'm not very familiar with BeLight.

mistik69
23rd January 2006, 03:49
what is the best way to update to new version of staxrip?
btw, staxrip is a great app, kudos!

vladlp
23rd January 2006, 12:46
Thanks a lot for good program. But just one question, Are you planning to add support for custom avs plugins? As I understand not it just possible to use plugins which is predefined in StaxRip

stax76
23rd January 2006, 14:49
what is the best way to update to new version of staxrip?

You can overwrite the old files with new files or:

define your settings, install and download directory in the settings dialog. If you use directories outside of the StaxRip directory nothing is saved then within the StaxRip directory and you simply can replace the entire directory.

But just one question, Are you planning to add support for custom avs plugins? As I understand not it just possible to use plugins which is predefined in StaxRip

Please read the help under filters.

vladlp
23rd January 2006, 14:59
Stax,
Sorry, probably my question was not very clear. How to add filters I have read, but there are no filed with full path to necessary dll for this filter...

stax76
23rd January 2006, 15:23
Please read the AviSynth docs regarding auto loading of plugins. When StaxRip downloads plugins it will save them in the plugin directory of AviSynth and AviSynth will auto load all plugins in the plugin directory.

In the 'External Applications' dialog select a plugin and the choose 'Tools' in the main menu of the 'External Applications' dialog and then select 'Open directory of the application'. This will open the plugin directory with windows explorer were you put your dlls and they will be auto loaded.

You still can use manual loading using LoadPlugin function as filters are fully customizable, auto loading is imho a much better solution.

stax76
23rd January 2006, 17:02
I've added support for cutting that works with any encoder and muxer:

dumbas..
23rd January 2006, 20:52
@stax

1. Removed Avisynth and re-installed into c:\program files\ (frankly, did this to be tidy, rather than have it in a subdir of another app.)

2. was reading this:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106189

"You must have a YV12 decoder on your system, to support AviSynth input into MeGUI. Download and install the Helix YUV codecs, and you should have no problems."

So downloaded YV12decoder, installed, rebooted. All systems go!

All worked OK:)

I'm no expert by any means, (Has been, small drip under pressure maybe!) but it worked. Any one explain why?

Perhaps this will help the 'others' with this type of problem that you mentioned in your reply?

? should ensure the staxrip user has the YU12 codec loaded?

Can now load my NAS with files.

Thankx for your help previously..

?not so Dumbas.... ? :)

stax76
23rd January 2006, 21:31
If there wasn't a YV12 decoder StaxRip should suggest installing one, I'm suspecting there was a decoder but one that does not work correctly. I'm still researching at this topic, thank you to report back!

stax76
24th January 2006, 00:21
0.9.2.6 (2006-01-24)

new: Added cutting support working with any encoder and muxer. Removed VirtualDubMod cutting.

mistik69
25th January 2006, 00:10
stax, How critical is it to rip dvd in IFO mode instead of file mode?

stax76
25th January 2006, 00:49
stax, How critical is it to rip dvd in IFO mode instead of file mode?

Never tried it and I know only little about the structure of a DVD. There are no special requiremens however but simply the files created by DGIndex are opened.

mistik69
25th January 2006, 01:37
I'll let you know Stax. I inadvertently ripped a dvd in file mode with decrypter instead of ifo mode, but dgindex seemed to go through it with no problem. Its encoding right now. Ill see how it turns out. I know autogk always said to rip in IFO mode and I saw that you said to do so too in your guide. I never really came across a reason why in any of the forums. I figured you might know.

davidlt
25th January 2006, 06:48
Hi,
I`m looking for tutorial, how to rip DVD to x264...
Here are some problems, I want to use container mp4 or mkv, so mp4 doesn`t support AC3 sound, mkv, says thats doesn`t support RAW sound and, with AVI container nothing, it doesn`t work too. So I can`t rip anything and use AC3 sound... Maybe someone could help me?..

P.S. stax, if you one day decide to make StaxRip mutilanguage, write me. I want to translate in to Lithuanian...

filipcza
25th January 2006, 08:22
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but..

One possible improvement would be BACK-button.

-Pete

filipcza
25th January 2006, 08:54
..And a way to get to vobsub-dialog. Now I have to open up Gordian Knot and open vobsub from there.

But all in all, Great application!

-Pete

JoeBG
25th January 2006, 09:42
Hi,
....mkv, says thats doesn`t support RAW sound ...

Do you have an existing AC3? In mkv there is only muxing of an existing AC3.

hellfred
25th January 2006, 09:48
Hi Stax
Due to some circumstances, I had to stop a loooong encoding session midways in the video encoding and did not wanted to start all over again.
So I only restarted the video encoding with x264 with a batch file and I am now searching a way to redo the muxing, too.

StaxRip 0.9.2.5

Files to work with
VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms.ac3
VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4

VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms.ac3
VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4

troja_crf20.264

Batch-file and Command line used to encode troja_crf20.264
::"C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --crf 26 --ref 6 --bframes 4 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --filter -2,-2 --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --trellis 1 --mixed-refs --progress --no-psnr --qpmax 42 --bime --no-fast-pskip --output "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1_EncoderOutput.264" "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.avs"
start "x264 Troja" /BELOWNORMAL /B /WAIT "C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\x264\x264.exe" --crf 20 --ref 6 --bframes 4 --b-pyramid --weightb --b-rdo --filter -2,-2 --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --trellis 1 --mixed-refs --progress --no-psnr --qpmax 42 --bime --no-fast-pskip --output "D:\Filme\TROY\troja_crf20.264" "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.avs"
shutdown -s -t 20 -c "Encodieren fertig"

The command line was retrieved from loading the corresponding project once more and pressing "Codec configuration". There I have chosen Tools->Show Command Line

Simply remuxing the three mp4 files with YAMB does not give satisfying results. I did not find a switch to set the delay of -8 ms, and Haalis Matroska Splitter does not show the languages for the two audio tracks.

Is there a way to get the exact muxing command line displayed from the project like it is possible for the x264 encoding command line? I have opened the *.rip with a text editor, too. But I did not fine a readable command line for muxing there either.

Thanks for this great tool anyway

Hellfred

EDIT:
I read the output of mp4box and the documentation on its homepage.
Is the needed command line something like
MP4Box
-add troja_crf20.264#video
-add VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4#trackID=0:delay=-8:lang=DE
-add VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4#trackID=0:delay=-8:lang=EN
out.mp4

EDIT 2:
I managed to get the three tracks muxed with
MP4Box
-add troja_crf20.264#video
-add "VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4"#trackID=1:delay=-8:lang=deu
-add "VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4"#trackID=1:delay=-8:lang=eng
-new out.mp4

stax76
25th January 2006, 12:33
I`m looking for tutorial, how to rip DVD to x264...

I hope that I can work soon on the docs.

mkv, says thats doesn`t support RAW sound and

In the x264 configuration please select another output format. The assistant message is pretty clear though I'm now realizing that the message is cutted because the field is too small.

P.S. stax, if you one day decide to make StaxRip mutilanguage, write me. I want to translate in to Lithuanian...

Thanks for offering your help. The decision was made while moving from DVX to StaxRip, I decided against it because it's a way too huge task.

One possible improvement would be BACK-button.

Can you please elaborate? You mean he assistant? What tip would you like to reappear? Please note that all features available from 'Please click here...' are also available from somewhere else in the main dialog.

..And a way to get to vobsub-dialog. Now I have to open up Gordian Knot and open vobsub from there.

The main menu of the StaxRip main dialog is totally customizable so you could customize it to launch VSRip from there. Most people use the start menu to lauch application, since VSRip don't has a installer you could drag it onto the start menu. I'm working with a keyboard driven application launcher.

Simply remuxing the three mp4 files with YAMB does not give satisfying results. I did not find a switch to set the delay of -8 ms, and Haalis Matroska Splitter does not show the languages for the two audio tracks.

In this case the delay was already handled by BeSweet. Since you only want to mux you can:

*reload your project.
*create a new encoder profile of type 'Null Encoder', it's called 'No Encoding' in the profiles dialog, when you click 'New' there.
*load the null encoder into the project.
*in the encoder config set the output format of the encoder the same as the previously used encoder.
*load and config the muxer (container) (loading another encoder loads another muxer since to muxer is part (belongs) the encoder).

Is there a way to get the exact muxing command line displayed from the project like it is possible for the x264 encoding command line? I have opened the *.rip with a text editor, too. But I did not fine a readable command line for muxing there either.

No but I consider to make a 'Show Command Line' feature like the x264 config dialog has.

filipcza
25th January 2006, 12:43
Yes, I meant that you could go back and forth in the assistant using BACK-button.

One further thing, in the cut/preview-window the buttons are on top of the picture. This is not good if you want to check subtitle size and location, because you can't see them properly - the buttons block the view.

-Pete

hellfred
25th January 2006, 12:44
Thanks for the tip, Stax. I was not aware that the delay was already addressed in the Audio-MP4s. I will mux once more without the ":delay=-8" via command line and try your suggestion, too.

Hellfred

stax76
25th January 2006, 12:55
One further thing, in the cut/preview-window the buttons are on top of the picture. This is not good if you want to check subtitle size and location, because you can't see them properly - the buttons block the view.

Would be hiding trackbar (press 'T') and hiding buttons (press 'B') be sufficient?

Thanks for the tip, Stax. I was not aware that the delay was already addressed in the Audio-MP4s. I will mux once more without the ":delay=-8" via command line and try your suggestion, too.

The reason why it's done with with BeSweet btw. is because some players have problems with handling container delay properly.

hellfred
25th January 2006, 13:50
Hi Stax
I have tryed your suggested way to mux audio and video mp4's from within StaxRip (0.9.2.5), but the process fails, as it expects the video to be stored in an avi container:
File->Recent Project->"MyProject"
Profiles->Encoder->Edit
->new->No Encoding
Profiles->Encoder->No Encoder
Profiles->Audio 1 -> AAC-HE - Add existing file
(important, or the audio will be extracted again, removing the existing audio mp4 at the beginning, so chanceling will leave you without a audio track to mux)
Audio->Track1->copy&paste path to audio-mp4
(Editing the line via keyboard is nearly impossible, as the path is checked ervery time after typing one char with error/warning message box that needs to be clicked away after every char)
Profiles->Audio 1 -> AAC-HE - Add existing file
(important, or the audio will be extracted again, removing the existing audio mp4 at the beginning, so chanceling will leave you without a audio track to mux)
Audio->Track1->copy&paste path to audio-mp4
(Editing the line via keyboard is nearly impossible, as the path is checked ervery time after typing one char with error/warning message box that needs to be clicked away after every char)
Proviles->Container->MP4->OK
Next

This will fail to mux, as the video is supposed to be in a avi, not in a raw H264 (.264)
From the log:
"C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1_EncoderOutput.avi" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=deu:delay=-8" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng:delay=-8" -new "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.mp4"
And the ":delay=-8" is set, too. If the delay was already taken care of when encoding with the audio profile "AAC-HE VBR - encoding at 50-70 kbps", then the delay is added a second time.

Hellfred

Full log:
---------- Versions ----------

StaxRip 0.9.2.5
Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
.NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
DirectX 4.09.00.0904

AutoCrop True
AviSynth True
BeSweet True
Decomb True
DGIndex True
DivX False
FluxSmooth True
Java False
ProjectX False
VirtualDubMod True
VirtualDub False
XviD True
MP4Box True
x264 True
Deen True
UnDot True
DirectShowSource True
MKVtoolnix True
MediaInfo True
DivXMux False
DGDecode True
VSFilter True

---------- Macros ----------

application:AutoCrop C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\AutoCrop.dll
application:AviSynth C:\WINDOWS\system32\avisynth.dll
application:BeSweet C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe
application:Decomb C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll
application:Deen C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Deen.dll
application:DGDecode C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll
application:DGIndex C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\AviSynth Plugins\DGIndex.exe
application:DirectShowSource C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DirectShowSource.dll
application:DivX
application:DivXMux
application:FluxSmooth C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FluxSmooth.dll
application:Java C:\Programme\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\java.exe
application:MediaInfo C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\MediaInfo.dll
application:MKVtoolnix C:\Programme\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe
application:MP4Box C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe
application:ProjectX
application:UnDot C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\UnDot.dll
application:VirtualDub
application:VirtualDubMod C:\Programme\Stefan\VirtualDubMod_1_5_10_1\VirtualDubMod.exe
application:VSFilter C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\VSFilter.dll
application:x264 C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\x264\x264.exe
application:XviD C:\WINDOWS\system32\xvidvfw.dll
application_dir C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\
audio_bitrate 123,205236814008
audio_file1 D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4
audio_file2 D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4
avisynth_plugin_dir C:\Programme\Stefan\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\
compressibility 0
crop_bottom 76
crop_height 424
crop_left 0
crop_right 0
crop_top 76
crop_width 720
encoder_out_file D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1_EncoderOutput.avi
pos_ms 0
programs_dir C:\Programme\
source_dir D:\Filme\TROY\
source_file D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.d2v
source_files_blank "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.d2v"
source_files_comma "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.d2v"
source_files_comma_no_quotes D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.d2v
source_frames 234150
source_height 576
source_name VTS_01_1
source_rate 25,00
source_seconds 9366
source_width 720
system_dir C:\WINDOWS\system32\
target_dir D:\Filme\TROY\
target_file D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.mp4
target_framerate 25,00
target_frames 234150
target_height 288
target_kilobyte 716800
target_megabyte 700
target_name VTS_01_1
target_seconds 9366
target_width 704
version 0.9.2.5
video_bitrate 502

---------- AviSynth Plugins ----------

AutoCrop.dll 17.06.2003 12:45
convolution3d.dll 22.04.2003 21:10
Decomb.dll 04.09.2005 12:20
Deen.dll 05.07.2005 21:42
dgbob.dll 06.07.2003 06:30
DGDecode.dll 01.10.2005 06:31
DirectShowSource.dll 28.10.2005 16:44
ffavisynth.dll 26.07.2005 20:31
FluxSmooth.dll 29.07.2004 15:07
kerneldeint.dll 30.08.2003 22:09
MPEGDecoder.dll 16.02.2003 21:13
SmoothDeinterlacer.dll 18.02.2003 21:46
STMedianFilter.dll 21.06.2003 22:08
TCPDeliver.dll 28.10.2005 16:44
TomsMoComp.dll 29.06.2003 09:16
UnDot.dll 18.01.2003 17:05
VSFilter.dll 25.11.2005 20:58
WarpSharp.dll 03.01.2003 13:34

---------- AviSynth Script ----------

MPEG2Source("D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.d2v")
Crop(0,76,-0,-76)
FluxSmoothT(2)
BicubicResize(704,288,0,0.5)

Command Line: "C:\Programme\Stefan\StaxRip_0.9.2.5\Applications\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1_EncoderOutput.avi" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 de-German 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=deu:delay=-8" -add "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1 en-English 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -8ms_AudioOutput.mp4:lang=eng:delay=-8" -new "D:\Filme\TROY\VTS_01_1.mp4"

Start time: 13:26:52
End time: 13:26:52
Duration: 00:00:00
Speed: 3746400 fps

---------- Overall Statistics ----------

Start time: 13:26:52
End time: 13:26:52
Duration: 00:00:00

stax76
25th January 2006, 17:33
@hellfred

did you:

*in the encoder config set the output format of the encoder the same as the previously used encoder.

And the ":delay=-8" is set, too. If the delay was already taken care of when encoding with the audio profile "AAC-HE VBR - encoding at 50-70 kbps", then the delay is added a second time.

Muxing profiles will assume delay was not handled, here only assumptions can be made but I have think about if muxing profiles should assume delay was already handled. You can however define the delay in the config dialog of the track's audio profile settings.

Such checks are important for instance when you load a project so it's ensured that all files still exists. StaxRip is rather strict, it's a great way to prevent misconfiguration that would in many cases lead to negativ effects. You can however double-click at most text boxes to make the file browser open and that should have a reasonable filter so you see only audio files and it should display the source directory so it's really easy to pick up a file, after all doing stuff easy is the main point of the application otherwise all tools could be used manually.

Your post was occasionally not easy to read for me so please let me know if you've still problems after reading my answers. I've noticed me a couple of things so thanks for the feedback, it helps me to further improve StaxRip.

LRN
25th January 2006, 18:07
davidlt, you should look at http://newage.gcnet.ru/index.php?showtopic=14526 . There's a DVD-rip guide. It's on Russian, but with LOT of pictures (1.6 meg i beleive), although some significant thigs must be read. Also this is "perfect-quality" oriented, i.e. ~100% quality, x264, HE-AAC, slow encoding. And it's a bit outdated (recent "cut-with-any-container" feature isn't mentioned etc).

stax76
25th January 2006, 18:34
@LRN

Looks awesome, thanks for your effort, I'll link of course all guides frome the help.

hellfred
25th January 2006, 20:04
@hellfred

did you:

Argh, no, I did not find that switch when I tryed your suggestion for the first time. Just now, I have tryed to mux the three files again from within StaxRip. After setting the format to raw H264, muxing worked out fine:stupid: .
@hellfred
Muxing profiles will assume delay was not handled, here only assumptions can be made but I have think about if muxing profiles should assume delay was already handled. You can however define the delay in the config dialog of the track's audio profile settings.
I have to search for this dialog and test it, too.
@hellfred
Such checks are important for instance when you load a project so it's ensured that all files still exists. StaxRip is rather strict, it's a great way to prevent misconfiguration that would in many cases lead to negativ effects. You can however double-click at most text boxes to make the file browser open and that should have a reasonable filter so you see only audio files and it should display the source directory so it's really easy to pick up a file, after all doing stuff easy is the main point of the application otherwise all tools could be used manually.
I do understand that having valid paths is necessary for avoiding complicated and largescaled exception handling in StaxRip. I simply never thought of trying a double-click on the text boxes. I was looking for a filechooser dialog hidden under some button labeled with e.g. [...] or [browse]. Now that I know of this trick, I will use it. Just wonder, how many other useres did not learn that trick up to now.

@hellfred
Your post was occasionally not easy to read for me so please let me know if you've still problems after reading my answers. I've noticed me a couple of things so thanks for the feedback, it helps me to further improve StaxRip.
Sorry for my post being hard to read. I try very hard to write easily understandable and comprehensible messabes. I would love to switch to German, but the rules of this forum do not allow this.
About improving StaxRip: I would love to have the possibility to read the MP4Box command line.

Hellfred

stax76
25th January 2006, 20:49
I have to search for this dialog and test it, too.

Click on the dropdown button and select 'Edit'.

I do understand that having valid paths is necessary for avoiding complicated and largescaled exception handling in StaxRip. I simply never thought of trying a double-click on the text boxes.

Keep in mind most devs are lazy and thus this trick works often ;)

I was looking for a filechooser dialog hidden under some button labeled with e.g. [...] or [browse].

Can be found in the menu that pops up clicking the dropdown button, I'll move this stuff a little bit more in the foreground.

I would love to have the possibility to read the MP4Box command line.

For the sake of consistency I'll add this to all CLI related dialogs.

ricardo.santos
25th January 2006, 22:10
Thanks for offering your help. The decision was made while moving from DVX to StaxRip, I decided against it because it's a way too huge task.

Hi Stax!

We at the portuguese doom9 mirror started to translate the docs included with StaxRip and we were going to contact you about including the portuguese docs in future releases.

Will that be possible?

stax76
25th January 2006, 22:22
We at the portuguese doom9 mirror started to translate the docs included with StaxRip and we were going to contact you about including the portuguese docs in future releases.

Will that be possible?

That will definitely be possible and I appreaciate it much.

ricardo.santos
25th January 2006, 23:13
we finished the translation some time ago but the docs kept on changing upon inovation/changes in StaxRip.

by the time one version was translated another one was released with different docs, making our translation kind of obsolete, i know its good to have inovations but a " pain" for part-time translators.

How far untill a stable version?

Ricardo

hellfred
25th January 2006, 23:18
The more I get to learn StaxRip, the more I love it. Really a great Program, that has so much featueres hidden in it, though, at first sight, it appears to only consist of one dialog window.
Respect.

Hellfred

And now some more pestering :)
As your useres have the ability to create, save and later choose new profiles for next to anything that StaxRip is able to do (encoding video, audio or muxing), I wonder if you will add some export and import commands for exporting and importing those profiles. So that the community can work together and share some special profiles for special tasks.
If you are just on the edge of being over-worked, forget about this suggestion. Or write it to the end of your TODO list.

stax76
26th January 2006, 00:34
we finished the translation some time ago but the docs kept on changing upon inovation/changes in StaxRip.

Good you mention it because I almost forgot that only the docs in the docs directory can be translated. The docs for the dialogs are automatically generated at runtime using handy stuff like design time integration and wiki markup. I hope you did not start to translate this docs, did you?

How far untill a stable version?

Before version 1.0 I want to do a lot more improvements for both, application and docs.

And now some more pestering
As your useres have the ability to create, save and later choose new profiles for next to anything that StaxRip is able to do (encoding video, audio or muxing), I wonder if you will add some export and import commands for exporting and importing those profiles. So that the community can work together and share some special profiles for special tasks.
If you are just on the edge of being over-worked, forget about this suggestion. Or write it to the end of your TODO list.

I thought about this a couple of times, binary import/export would likely be easy but it's a too big task too maintain a versioning method for this so I would have to force using identical versions for import/export.

ricardo.santos
26th January 2006, 00:51
just the documents folder.

LRN
26th January 2006, 04:03
I thought about this a couple of times, binary import/export would likely be easy but it's a too big task too maintain a versioning method for this so I would have to force using identical versions for import/export.
You could use XML to store this information, since XML can be backward-compatible (just freeze some basic tags and add new ones for every change you make).

filipcza
26th January 2006, 11:00
Would be hiding trackbar (press 'T') and hiding buttons (press 'B') be sufficient?

Yes that's fine. Did you have that info somewhere in help files? If not then you should make(or someone should help you to make) a comprehensive help, so that these kind of questions would be answered and we wouldn't have to bother you with them.

And regarding the other question I had, the vobsub-launching thingy..I had no idea you could make your own menu items, where you can launch pretty much anything! Now that's a great feature, which very few apps have. And since you can also add keyboard shortcuts to those menu items, you can pretty much "code" your own set of shortcuts and that's a BIG time saver!

I think I'm going to switch from GK to StaxRip! Thanks again!

-Pete

sbp
26th January 2006, 15:31
Hi I just want to thank your for Staxrip, it looks very powerfull.

But I have one problem. I would like to use staxrip to transcode my TV-captures into divx (or XVID or X264). I capture into Picvideo MJPEG.

But when I try to load one of my captured files into staxrip, Virtualdubmod(dub in progress) starts, and I can see the first frame of the captured video. Then Virtualdubmod closes, and the next thing that happend is an error stating: "Failed to load source" When I click OK on this, then another error pops up:
The preview window states: "Avisource couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc MJPG "then my filename", line 1.

I don't know what the problem is, but if it is a missing component, then StaxRip previously has quided me to download the missing - could that be possible here as well?

Steen

stax76
26th January 2006, 17:07
You could use XML to store this information, since XML can be backward-compatible (just freeze some basic tags and add new ones for every change you make).

Manual formating is out of question for my complex object graphs and XML serializer in .NET has in my experience serious limitations compared to the binary serializer, it certainly wouldn't work with my code unless I would try to make it work which possible could end up in much of a pain.

Yes that's fine. Did you have that info somewhere in help files?

It's in the menu (right-click or click the dropdown button) and in the help.

But I have one problem. I would like to use staxrip to transcode my TV-captures into divx (or XVID or X264). I capture into Picvideo MJPEG.

But when I try to load one of my captured files into staxrip, Virtualdubmod(dub in progress) starts, and I can see the first frame of the captured video. Then Virtualdubmod closes, and the next thing that happend is an error stating: "Failed to load source" When I click OK on this, then another error pops up:
The preview window states: "Avisource couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc MJPG "then my filename", line 1.

I don't know what the problem is, but if it is a missing component, then StaxRip previously has quided me to download the missing - could that be possible here as well?

Anything other than DVB and DVD sources need much likely to be configured, see 'Preperation' in the Options and 'Filters' in the main dialog. There is some docs of both of this. Of course that's were stuff get's complicated, messing with command lines, DirectShow and AviSynth filters. Maybe I can help you if you upload a 5-10 seconds sample somewhere, please let my know if you need help on how to do this.

sbp
26th January 2006, 19:51
Stax
Thank you for your offer, I can't figure out how to do it.

I have a small file (less than 25 MB), do you know of a place where I can upload it?

Steen

stax76
26th January 2006, 19:53
There are a couple of upload services e.g.:

http://www.mytempdir.com

http://www.yousendit.com

stax76
26th January 2006, 20:05
0.9.2.7 (2006-01-26)

new: Added possibility to change the AviSynth plugin directory in the settings dialog.
new: Command line preview and info dialog added to container (muxer) dialogs.
fix: A couple of bugs were fixed.
change: A couple of applications were updated.

sbp
27th January 2006, 09:09
Thank you

I have now uploaded a small clip to http://www.mytempdir.com/411879

I hope that you can find a way to transcode this into xvid or x264 using Staxrip

Thanks Steen

L4z4rus
27th January 2006, 10:34
Steen

Sounds like a problem with your PicVideo Codec installation - VirtualDub can't find it to decompress your capture (rather than it specifically being StaxRip).

sbp
27th January 2006, 12:25
No I dont think that this is the problem. I can play the clip in VirtualDub without problems (using virtualdub without StaxRip)

Steen

stax76
27th January 2006, 22:21
0.9.2.8 (2006-01-27)

new: Cascading profiles menu.
new: Sharktooth's x264 profiles (thanks to Sharktooth).

swaaye
28th January 2006, 00:12
Ideas for ya Stax:

1- get those vdub windows to startup minimized. I'm always afraid i'm going to hit close on one when they pop up. And, when minimized, they show % done.

2- Add a stop projects button so you can stop Staxrip's entire job queue. I sometimes have 20 jobs in there and hitting abort 20 times is a prob. Maybe also add a shutdown/hiberbate/whatever on completion of queue too.

3- Crop is still messing up my 4:3 TV shows. Wrong aspect. I always use autocrop in my filter stream and turn off your auto crop feature. I use the aspect=-1 option to make autocrop keep the aspect of the source. Works 100% for me.

4- Be able to save the job queue. I've noticed it doesn't get lost if Staxrip crashes, but would be nice to be able to manually save it too.

5- Crazy Idea: a way to search for D2Vs in a folder and autojobify them? Say you used Robot4rip. It makes folders for each rip and makes the d2v. I set up a default Staxrip profile. I have Staxrip go search for those D2Vs and it makes jobs for me with my default profile and puts them in the queue. Now that would be totally mind-blowingly spiffy and reduce a ton of clicking. :)

6- With earlier versions I was using mapped drives to "distribute" my encoding to networked PCs. Sorta a file server setup. The newer versions are telling me only local drives can be used.....

As always, good work man. This program blows AGK and GK out of the water in flexibility and ease of use.

hellfred
28th January 2006, 00:33
0.9.2.8 (2006-01-27)
Hi Stax
What vorbis dlls are being downloaded by v0.9.2.8 and have you heard of the lancer opimized vorbis encoder from Ogg vorbis accelearation project (http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/index_e.htm)? The encoder is really fast, patched with latest aoTuV beta4.5 source (q -1 und -2) and the audio tracks encoded with this encoder are not distinguishable form those encoded with original auTuV. At least that is stated by the gurus from hydrogenaudio.org (link (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15049)) AFAIK all you need is a CPU with SSE. I recomend you to give this encoder a try.

Hellfred

P.S.: Being able to use Sharktooths profiles is a great feature! Your tool becomes better and better. If only my PC would encode faster to enjoy the ease of DVD-backups with StaxRip more ...

stax76
28th January 2006, 01:47
1- get those vdub windows to startup minimized. I'm always afraid i'm going to hit close on one when they pop up. And, when minimized, they show % done.

There is a option in the settings dialog.

2- Add a stop projects button so you can stop Staxrip's entire job queue.

Maybe I could modify 'Abort' to abort the entire queue, 'Abort' was recently changed internally (using a exception), I can't even tell you what happens when you abort while using jobs.

Maybe also add a shutdown/hiberbate/whatever on completion of queue too.

That should be executed only when all jobs are done, if it get's executed after every job, then it's a bug.

3- Crop is still messing up my 4:3 TV shows. Wrong aspect. I always use autocrop in my filter stream and turn off your auto crop feature. I use the aspect=-1 option to make autocrop keep the aspect of the source. Works 100% for me.

I checked the AutoCrop docs and don't even understand what aspect=-1 is about.

4- Be able to save the job queue. I've noticed it doesn't get lost if Staxrip crashes, but would be nice to be able to manually save it too.

Joblist is part of the settings, I understand it's not nice to lose settings after a crash. I'm not sure what's the best way to handle but I'll think about it.

5- Crazy Idea: a way to search for D2Vs in a folder and autojobify them? Say you used Robot4rip. It makes folders for each rip and makes the d2v. I set up a default Staxrip profile. I have Staxrip go search for those D2Vs and it makes jobs for me with my default profile and puts them in the queue. Now that would be totally mind-blowingly spiffy and reduce a ton of clicking.

Can you please elaborate, what does that mean: 'I set up a default Staxrip profile.'?

6- With earlier versions I was using mapped drives to "distribute" my encoding to networked PCs. Sorta a file server setup. The newer versions are telling me only local drives can be used.....

Doesn't that mean the working dir is a network drive? Did that really work well?

What vorbis dlls are being downloaded by v0.9.2.8 and have you heard of the lancer opimized vorbis encoder from Ogg vorbis accelearation project? The encoder is really fast, patched with latest aoTuV beta4.5 source (q -1 und -2) and the audio tracks encoded with this encoder are not distinguishable form those encoded with original auTuV. At least that is stated by the gurus from hydrogenaudio.org (link) AFAIK all you need is a CPU with SSE. I recomend you to give this encoder a try.

I'm clueless about SSE, sounds like a feature only newer CPU's have?

davidlt
28th January 2006, 05:14
Could you make something with MKV container and AC3?.. Make it more simple, easier...

swaaye
28th January 2006, 05:44
I checked the AutoCrop docs and don't even understand what aspect=-1 is about.

From the Autocrop v1.2 manual:
aspect - Float - default 0 - Aspect is ignored

-1 - Maintain aspect ratio of the source clip
0 - Aspect is ignored
>0 - Aspect ratio will be set to this. For example for a 4:3 aspect ratio you would pass
4.0/3.0 or 1.33333333333. Note 4/3 won't work the .0 is need to tell AVISynth the value is
a float.

So I just use aspect=-1 and it doesn't change the aspect of the clip. It seems to work by far the best in this mode. I did try 4.0/3.0 once but it ended up 5:4 for some odd reason. -1 has always worked perfectly, at least with this 4:3 stuff.

Can you please elaborate, what does that mean: 'I set up a default Staxrip profile.'?

I'm referring to your default profile in the Staxrip. I always set up a default profile and save it before starting a bunch of jobs on the same source material (episodes of a series). Then I just load the d2v, the saved default profile loads and has all settings, then just add to job queue. By being able to have Staxrip go out and load those D2Vs into the queue for me, while loading your cool default profile, it would be totally automated. It should go load all the D2V's from a folder I tell it and load them from subfolders within that folder (Robot4Rip does this).

Example:
"D:\DVD" is where Robot4rip puts all the DVD rips
"D:\DVD\SERIES1" a ripped DVD disk
"D:\DVD\SERIES1\VTS_02_PGC2" One of the PGCs from the DVD. Each has its own subfolder, 4 per DVD in this show's case. D2Vs are in each of these folders.

So, StaxRip would be told to look in D:\DVD and it would then look into each subfolder for a D2V, assuming that I want it to use its Default Profile for the encoding settings, and make jobs, save them, and add them to the queue. :)

Doesn't that mean the working dir is a network drive? Did that really work well?

Yes I had 3 computers working on the same drives thru a 100MBit network! It was working very well! But now it's giving that 'local drives only' error and won't let me use the mapped drives.

StaxRip is pretty self-contained within its folder so I can just copy the folder onto each comp and I have a little video encoding distrubuted processing lab or something!! Heh. The DVD files are all on the central file server computer, which itself also encodes. The other machines think the mapped drive is their hard drive so they just use the VOBs from there and save their finished file to there too.

stax76
28th January 2006, 08:33
Could you make something with MKV container and AC3?.. Make it more simple, easier...

Can you please elaborate? I don't see much of a problem here. There is a audio profile to mux AC3, it's called 'AC3 - Add Existing File', normally it would be called 'Mux AC3' but it wouldn't be easy then ;), mux means adding without reencoding...

You can overwrite your default project to have that profile available when StaxRip starts. Go to 'File/Default Project/Save'.

So I just use aspect=-1 and it doesn't change the aspect of the clip. It seems to work by far the best in this mode. I did try 4.0/3.0 once but it ended up 5:4 for some odd reason. -1 has always worked perfectly, at least with this 4:3 stuff.

Now I understand it, it will crop both sides to maintain the same aspect ratio, since StaxRip's AR calculations take care of cropping I don't see a problem, even without resizing there shouldn't be a problem since StaxRip automatically uses AR signalling for codecs supporting it. I can only examine the problem if you upload a 5-10 seconds sample.

I'm referring to your default profile in the Staxrip. I always set up a default profile and save it before starting a bunch of jobs on the same source material (episodes of a series). Then I just load the d2v, the saved default profile loads and has all settings, then just add to job queue. By being able to have Staxrip go out and load those D2Vs into the queue for me, while loading your cool default profile, it would be totally automated. It should go load all the D2V's from a folder I tell it and load them from subfolders within that folder (Robot4Rip does this).

Example:
"D:\DVD" is where Robot4rip puts all the DVD rips
"D:\DVD\SERIES1" a ripped DVD disk
"D:\DVD\SERIES1\VTS_02_PGC2" One of the PGCs from the DVD. Each has its own subfolder, 4 per DVD in this show's case. D2Vs are in each of these folders.

So, StaxRip would be told to look in D:\DVD and it would then look into each subfolder for a D2V, assuming that I want it to use its Default Profile for the encoding settings, and make jobs, save them, and add them to the queue.

In StaxRip you probably mean project, not profile ;), StaxRip has a 'Batch Mode' I don't even recall if it's called that way and testing it with a real world scenario is still on my to do list. I simply didn't go through a batch scenario yet but it's pretty popular so I need to work on it.

Yes I had 3 computers working on the same drives thru a 100MBit network! It was working very well! But now it's giving that 'local drives only' error and won't let me use the mapped drives.

It was done because opening a source file directly from DVD can't work and resulted in a crash. I'll fix it.

sbp
28th January 2006, 09:25
Dear stax.

Did you have time to look at my uploaded clip?
I heve been trying different settings, but I can't figure out how to use StacRip on these captured files.

Thanks STeen

stax76
28th January 2006, 09:46
Did you have time to look at my uploaded clip?
I heve been trying different settings, but I can't figure out how to use StacRip on these captured files.

Not yet but I'll do so shortly, thanks for uploading clip.

hellfred
28th January 2006, 10:04
There is a option in the settings dialog.I'm clueless about SSE, sounds like a feature only newer CPU's have?
Hi Stax
SSE(alias ISSE) is an extension to the x86 instruction sets. It allows computing following the idear SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data: multiple data sets are read into special registers and worked on simultanious, resulting in higher computing performance). It was the second SIMD extension to the instruction set of x86 cpus added by Intel. It was introduced with the Pentium III series. (First SIMD instruction extension was MMX - alias Math Matrix eXtension alias MultiMedieXtension, which was integer-only). Wikipedia has some nice articles about all of this and lists of CPUs, that come with those instruction sets.
In English:
SIMD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD)
SSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions)

In German
SIMD (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Instruction_Multiple_Data) (shorter)
SSE (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSE) (with CPU list)

So basically it comes down to saying:
No, some of the user of StaxRip will have CPUs that are older than Pentium III or AMD Athlon XP and the dlls will fail on them.
But hey, then they are running WinXP with Net v2.0 on those slow machines an on top of that trying to encoding videos on those old and slow hardware. Those must be pure masochinsts :). They have to replace the Lancer vorbis dlls with normal ones.

Yes, I expect all of my users to have quite up to date hardware for encoding as otherwise video processing is not practicable on their machines. And if one really wants to encode on an quite old and slow hardware, he is told in the dialogs (External applications) and documentation to manually download and copy regular vorbis dlls to their destination.

Hellfred

EDIT: Changed Pentium II to Pentium III, typing mistake

stax76
28th January 2006, 10:25
@hellfred

That's a good reasoning, I have to agree, thanks.

hellfred
28th January 2006, 11:31
Here some numbers to illustrate the benefit of using lancer:

Encoding 2 WAVs at q 7:
Oggenc Lancer: 7 sec
Oggenc classic (ICL P3 build for Pentium M): 16 sec
Oggenc classic (generic MSVC): 19 sec

Encoding 6 WAVs at q 7:
Oggenc Lancer: 1:33 min
Oggenc classic (ICL P3 build for Pentium M): 3:11 min
Oggenc classic (generic MSVC): 3:58 min

Ogg lancer build was taken from here (oggenc2_lancer20051121.zip) (http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/index.htm)
Ogg classic was taken from here (oggenc28.exe aoTuV beta 4.51 (ICL compile for P3/AMD Athlon)). (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15049)
Ogg classic generic was taken from the same place where the P3 build came form. (oggenc28.exe aoTuV beta 4.51 (MSVC compile)).

The P3 build was taken as it fits best for the Pentium M 725A, which was used for the encoding.

Hellfred

P.S.: Lancer 20051121 is based on aotuv-b4.51_20051117, so the comparison should be fair. Comparison was made with Exact Audio Copying, "Tools"->"Compressing WAVs" (in German: Hilfsmittel->Komprimiere WAVs), the durations were taken directly from EAC dialog.

stax76
28th January 2006, 13:16
@sbp

here it loads:

FourCC: MJPG
Pvmjpg20.dll (PICVideo MJPEG Codec)

Please don't ask me from where I got this dll, I don't know it. In VirtualDub when you go to 'File/File Information' you'll likely see 'VirtualDub internal MJPEG'. StaxRip of course has no internal MJPEG decompressor but I hope somebody can tell us where to find a free decompressor. In the StaxRip 'Filters' menu if you right-click the source filter using DirectShowSource might find a decompressor while AVISource don't, here it finds one using ffdshow.

Edit: After rereading your first post I realize you got PICVideo, what decompressor your system is setup to use for MJPG can be seen when searching in regedit for 'VIDC.MJPG', is that set to Pvmjpg20.dll?

@hellfred

Nice, I'll update it shortly.

hellfred
28th January 2006, 17:33
This numbers were measured on a P4@3.06GHz with other WAVs.
(first 6 tracks from U2 - POP, before it were the first 6 tracks of Metallica - St. Anger and the first 2 track from M. Manson - Golden Age of Grotesque )

Encoding 6 WAVs at q 7:
Oggenc Lancer: 1:01 min
Oggenc classic (ICL P4 build for Pentium 4): 1:40 min
Oggenc classic (generic MSVC): 2:18 min

Ogg lancer build: oggenc2_lancer20051121.zip
Ogg classic P4: oggenc28.exe aoTuV beta 4.51 (ICL compile for P4/AMD Sempron, Athlon 64)
Ogg classic generic: oggenc28.exe aoTuV beta 4.51 (MSVC compile)

The speedup compared to compiler-optimized encoder is still siginficant, the speedup compared to generic encoder even huger

Hellfred

stax76
29th January 2006, 00:11
Here is a build with experimental pause/resume for processing apps:

It pauses/resumes the worker thread and only one thread so it might work with all apps with single worker thread and with all normal CPU's, everything else has to be tested...

LRN
29th January 2006, 13:44
Hello again. I have some bad news.
Before muxing chapters, StaxRip converts them to UTF-8. After conversion the chapter-file in Temporary Files does not contain any non-latin symbols in any form (they're just stripped off). However it contains BOM, pointing what this file is indeed UTF-8 text file.
Chapter-file should be plain CP-xxxx text (at least when i manually muxed CP-1251 file with mp4box everything worked fine; Maybe there IS way to mux UTF or other unicode files - but i didn't find it).
Also...
I noticed, what all russian subtitles i mux with StaxRip...Well, they work improperly. For example, first 8 minutes of movie they're shown fine - but after that they disappear. In other movie they disappear on first minute.
English subtitles works perfectly. I'll investigate this. Looks like mp4box produces corrupt mp4 because of some wrong characters in subtitles...I really don't know.

stax76
29th January 2006, 14:22
Before muxing chapters, StaxRip converts them to UTF-8. After conversion the chapter-file in Temporary Files does not contain any non-latin symbols in any form (they're just stripped off). However it contains BOM, pointing what this file is indeed UTF-8 text file.
Chapter-file should be plain CP-xxxx text (at least when i manually muxed CP-1251 file with mp4box everything worked fine; Maybe there IS way to mux UTF or other unicode files - but i didn't find it).
Also...

I noticed, what all russian subtitles i mux with StaxRip...Well, they work improperly. For example, first 8 minutes of movie they're shown fine - but after that they disappear. In other movie they disappear on first minute.
English subtitles works perfectly. I'll investigate this. Looks like mp4box produces corrupt mp4 because of some wrong characters in subtitles...I really don't know.

Can you get this stuff working when you are doing everything by hand, if not then I certainly can't either. I wish StaxRip would have full local support but since not all tools like DGIndex support unicode it's not possible.

sbp
29th January 2006, 15:13
Dear Stax, Thank you for your help.

I managed by adding an extra avisynth filter: defined by adding "direct show source". Than I saw your other post regarding MJEPG support in FFDSHOW, so I enabled this (it was disabled). So now I can open these tv-capture files without any problems.

However, new problems have occured. I would like to try the X264 encoder, but StaxRip wont allow me to do this (I try to use MP3 as audio, in a mp4 container - staxrip tells me that this i wrong).
Then I try to choose aac, but now I havent Nero installed - so no luck here.
Finally, I would try to encode - choosing no audio - but StaxRip tells me that "the audio profile supports the input format - please choose another audio profile" - so basicly I'm not able to encode without audio?

Thanks
Steen

PS: would it be possible to start StaxRip from a bat file, with a input file name, a profile (like TV-show encoding), an output file name. I would realy like this because then I could transcode my tv-recordings unattended overnight. (using dirmon to start the bat file when certain options is fullfilled)

LRN
29th January 2006, 15:42
Can you get this stuff working when you are doing everything by hand, if not then I certainly can't either. I wish StaxRip would have full local support but since not all tools like DGIndex support unicode it's not possible.
at least when i manually muxed CP-1251 file with mp4box everything worked fine
StaxRip converts them to UTF-8. After conversion the chapter-file in Temporary Files does not contain any non-latin symbols in any form (they're just stripped off). However it contains BOM, pointing what this file is indeed UTF-8 text file.
That's it. This mess with chapters - it's only StaxRip's fault.

stax76
29th January 2006, 16:48
@LRN

Sorry for making this a mess, I've now removed changing it to UTF-8 but now don't change it at all, this should work:

Then I try to choose aac, but now I havent Nero installed - so no luck here.

Installing the demo should be sufficient, StaxRip will grab then some dll and copy them to the BeSweet dir, the files are neroipp.dll, aac.enc, aacenc32.dll, you should backup those. You don't need Nero to be installed once you got those files in your BeSweet dir, though you should have a Nero license. You could also make a profile to use another free encoder or even use another free codec for which StaxRip already has some profiles.

Finally, I would try to encode - choosing no audio - but StaxRip tells me that "the audio profile supports the input format - please choose another audio profile" - so basicly I'm not able to encode without audio?

Just remove the audio source file.

PS: would it be possible to start StaxRip from a bat file, with a input file name, a profile (like TV-show encoding), an output file name. I would realy like this because then I could transcode my tv-recordings unattended overnight. (using dirmon to start the bat file when certain options is fullfilled)

Currently I don't think it can be done, I have to check it.

wdmalik
29th January 2006, 21:38
any way to 'queue' jobs

asdfsauce
29th January 2006, 22:36
any way to 'queue' jobs

"View" >> "Jobs" >> "Add".

-----
Hi stax,

I really like how your program is coming along. Some problems though - my audio is never in sync when I try to cut out pieces of my M2V + AC3 combo files using the built-in editing interface. It sounds like it's cutting the audio, just not very accurately. Do you know of this, or how I might fix it?

Feature Requests:

SAR in encoder setup. Unless it's somewhere else, I couldn't find it.

Better transport stream support. Shouldn't be hard at all since ProjectX demuxes these into formats Staxrip can handle right now.

Maybe add audio to preview/editing so people know they're not cutting off or into audible sound.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, is there any way to turn off the compression test?

stax76
29th January 2006, 22:38
any way to 'queue' jobs

Recently I modified the last assistant tip to 'Click on the next button to start the encoding process or click here to add the project to the job list'. I don't remember if it's released already but under 'View/Jobs' (press F6) you can add projects to the job list.

edit: I'm late

I really like how your program is coming along. Some problems though - my audio is never in sync when I try to cut out pieces of my M2V + AC3 combo files using the built-in editing interface. It sounds like it's cutting the audio, just not very accurately. Do you know of this, or how I might fix it?

It cuts the AC3 using VirtualDubMod. Maybe it's already out of sync after demuxing. How did you capture and demux?

SAR in encoder setup. Unless it's somewhere else, I couldn't find it.

See the 'Options/Automation': Auto Aspect Ratio Signaling (Tooltip: In case no resize filter is used StaxRip signals the codec to write the proper aspect ratio to the bitstream so players that support aspect ratio signaling playback still the proper aspect ratio. Aspect ratio signaling is not supported by DivX and also not by every player.)

Better transport stream support. Shouldn't be hard at all since ProjectX demuxes these into formats Staxrip can handle right now.

Can you please elaborate?

Maybe add audio to preview/editing so people know they're not cutting off or into audible sound.

It's hardly possible as the preview don't support playback, it's likely hard to change this and in case of AC3 AviSynth is not even used to cut. Maybe you can temporary add a filter like NicAudio and then launch a real player at the current position which can be done by customizing the menu using the macro %pos_ms% and MPC, see MPC.exe /? for help. I did some very short tests cutting AC3 from VOB sources and here it sounded good. You can also try a old version with the old cutting support to see if there is a difference though it's restricted to AVI.