PDA

View Full Version : MP4: Subtitling for Sony PSP

gotairbus
8th November 2005, 08:59
I've browsed the numerous forum threads and have sifted through Doom 9 menus on MP4 and subtitling but so far I haven't been able to find a way to create MP4 videos (with subtitles injected into the MP4 container) that can play on the Sony PSP.

I've also used Yamb and 3GPP but Yamb made the file "unrecognizeable" to the PSP and 3GPP stripped the subtitles (leaving me with a playable video).

Are there any software I can use to take an existing PSP-playable mp4 video and "inject" (not hardcode) the subtitles into it, leaving the codec information untouched?

I've seen subtitles used in one of the PSP's UMD discs in where a video is played.

P.S.: The UMD game in question is Ridge Racer and the video is found in the World Races menu.

Thanks!

bond
8th November 2005, 12:33
you will have to find out what subtitle format the psp supports. dont be surprised if it doesnt support any (except when from umd discs)

so hardcoding might be the only solution

jp80
11th November 2005, 19:46
Then does somebody how to hard encode external subtitles into a mp4 video for psp ?

bond
11th November 2005, 19:48
like for every other encode done via avisynth

:readguid:

jp80
11th November 2005, 19:52
As I couldn't find in the guide list the link to the one you mention, could you please point it to me?

bond
11th November 2005, 19:57
hm also didnt find it, either doom9 hides it well or he removed it

Elias
12th November 2005, 04:58
I don't think it's possible to add any subtitle codecs like ttxt into an mp4 file and play it via PSP. Not for now at least, and I seriously doubt that Sony will ever add tx3g support. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if some hack firmware was made for PSP if tx3g becomes more popular in the future :)

skybl8zr
6th January 2006, 00:31
#gotairbus

Hi, my first post here although I've been using Doom9's Forum alot but there's always something interesting to read ;) This subject hits a nerve of mine as I'm having a hard time myself concerning the matter at hand. Did you succeed with the subtitles? I'm quite sure that the PSP doesn't support the injected ones. But as #bond suggested it's possible to hardcode. I've not tried with .mp4 but with .avi, and then converting to .mp4. Had some luck with the Gordian Knot 0.35.0 rippack, DivX 6.0.9 and Xvid 1.1.0.

I use the official Sony PSP Media Manager (1.0a b193) for converting into .mp4. But it totally dislikes some codecs. I really hope Sony releases a better version with more options like cropping, subtitle and more codec support (it doesn't seem to like XviD and some DivX codecs). But this manager has alot of potential and the Sony AVC codec is second to none (at least I think so). It's funny that if you feed the PMM an unencrypted DVD it easily encodes the movie directly to the PSP in excellent quality. No hassle at all. It's sad that if you need .mp4 subtitles Sony looks like complete amateurs.

BTW - also tried Nero Recode 2 which can inject subtitles into its Nero Digital AVC/MP4 codec. I easily feeded a Nero Digital video to Sony PSP Manager and encoded directly to the PSP. Sadly no subtitles was showing and the volume is low although the picture quality seemed better - but a little darker - than encoding from DivX. The best overall quality I think is encoding directly from a ripped unencrypted DVD to .mp4. It's just not optimal if you have an Asian DVD collection like myself and want subtitles :confused:

gotairbus
19th January 2006, 04:22
Been a few months since I've visited my thread...

Anyways, I always had the interest to "inject" subtitling into the PSP Video container instead of hardcoding it (it spoils the video and there's no language support).

I've abandoned this altogether :)

Elias
19th January 2006, 04:26
Been a few months since I've visited my thread...

Anyways, I always had the interest to "inject" subtitling into the PSP Video container instead of hardcoding it (it spoils the video and there's no language support).

I've abandoned this altogether :)Just to bust your balls a little: mp4 is not a PSP container; that would make mp4 proprietary Sony content. PSP uses the mp4 container. That's all. :)