PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Recorder / VCR Combo under $300

Kid Tao
4th October 2005, 11:39
It's about time for me to back up those bulky VHS tapes. As for Picture/sound quality, I don't know what I can expect with this kind of money, but I heard about Philips and Panasonic models. Anyway, if you can help me with the decision, I'd appreciate it very much. :thanks:

FlimsyFeet
5th October 2005, 09:33
I'm pleased with my Panasonic standalone DVD recorder, but I've not compared it with other models.

I will just also point out that if your tapes are macrovision protected, then a combo unit will be no good, you need a separate VCR and a picture stabilising device.

CWR03
5th October 2005, 09:54
Yes, that poses a good question, are you backing up home movies or purchased movie videos? I backed up my bulky videotapes (hundreds of purchased movies) using a subscription to Netflix.

rca29
5th October 2005, 11:33
If you still own a VHS vcr, then you'll be better with a standalone dvd recorder.
With that amount of money, you can buy a hard-disk based dvd recorder, which will be better for basic editing (such as cutting unwanted stuff, inserting chapters, etc).

Early dvd recorders from panasonic would only record in dvd-ram or dvd-r.
While dvd-r is a good thing, dvd-ram is almost useless as most players from other brands don't play this kind of disc.

I bought a Sony RDR-H510 (80 gig) yesterday, and so far i'm very pleased with the results and it's simple to use.

5th October 2005, 13:16
Please read and follow forum rules, specifically, rule 12: do not ask what's best. Thank you. :readrule: