PDA

View Full Version : YUV overlay not available on GF2GTS?

LigH
27th November 2001, 11:43
Hi everyone,

I wonder why Xmpeg tells me it cannot use YUV overlays, although I've read somewhere that it shall be supported by GeForce graphic cards. May it depend on the model (e.g. with or without TV devices) or on the driver version? Could I have misconfigured some Windows display settings? How can I detect if YUV overlays are supported and enabled?

I have an ELSA Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS with 32 MB, running in an ABIT KT7 (Duron 800) with Windows 98SE and current ELSA drivers (based on Detonator 14xx AFAIR) and DirectX 8.0.

BTW: Detonator XP (2181) drivers didn't work on my card, I always got a message that the screen setup was corrupt after rebooting. Maybe I'll try 2280, but it is hard to downgrade if they don't work...

The Moog
27th November 2001, 15:25
I was wondering that too... I have an ELSA GeForce 3 card with a TV out, and find it bizzare that such a new card doesn't support YUV overlays. Is there some settings that I need to adjust?

--------------------

TBird 1.33G (266) @ 1350 (270)
Asus A7M266 Mobo Rev 1.4
Bios ACPI 1005 Final
ELSA Gladiac 920 @ 220/480 Dets 21.83
512Mb Crucial DDR RAM (PC2100)
Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1
3 x 75G IBM 75GXP @ RAID 0
Pioneer DVD-105
Plextor 16-10-40
Iomega Zip 250Mb IDE
Iiyama VM Pro 510 22"
Coolermaster ATCS-201 Case
Windoze ME

formentz
29th November 2001, 21:29
Are you sure it is saying you can't encode?
Usually xmpeg, when you select YUV12, says that overlay is disabled, you can still encode, but you can't view the output while encoding.
To avoid this enter the options, select YUV12, ok to the message and then close the options. Reenter the options, go in the last tab and check "Overlay ...", the second option. :cool:
You should get it work. ;)

Ciao
Formentz :D

LigH
30th November 2001, 09:44
Of course I can encode.

But I cannot preview - Xmpeg says that the overlay is disabled. I wonder why I can't watch the movie while encoding in one of the VUV modes, but I thought that YUV overlays are supported by GeForce chips!

The Moog
30th November 2001, 16:51
Same here, Xmpeg will still encode the stream but it would be nice to see what you are encoding, especially when you have a fairly new graphics card which should support the overlay mode.

The Moog

formentz
1st December 2001, 12:52
But did you check the option "Overlay (Automatic for YUY2 or YV12)" in the General Page?
Follow strictly these instructions :
1) Open XMpeg and select the ifo to encode
2) Enter Global Project Options
3) select YV12 in the Post Processing page, a message saying that overlay is disabled will show, click ok.
4) Click OK to apply the settings.
5) Re-enter the Global Project Options and go to the General page
6) Now the Option "Overlay (Automatic for YUY2 or YV12)" should be enabled, check it and OK to apply settings
7) now you should be able to see.

To check also if your card supports overlay you can install the Micro DVD Player. When you start it, near the upper left corner there is a yellow blinking square that indicates that overlay is initializing. If it becomes white your card supports the overlay, else not :mad:

HTH

Ciao
Formentz :D

The Moog
4th December 2001, 12:56
A-Ha! Many thanks Formentz, I tried that last night, and now I can see what I am encoding as it goes along. Cheers!

The Moog

LigH
13th December 2001, 17:02
(Sorry for being late...)

Yes, it worked fine for me. A big THANK YOU!!!
_

(But now I'm missing an OpenDML AVI output in Xmpeg 4.2a - seems that XiS has changed the plugin import. Without that, Xmpeg 4.2a is useless for me - I will stay with MPEG2AVI. Or try DVD2AVI some time. Anyway, there is no substitute for a second optimisation with VirtualDub, I would never release a DivX movie directly out of Flask/Xmpeg in their current state.)